hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Norrie Mccathie

Norrie Mccathie

Out with a pars mate.told me he met alex Edwards recently.said big Norrie was a hibs fan.so sad what happened to the big man.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Out with a pars mate.told me he met alex Edwards recently.said big Norrie was a hibs fan.so sad what happened to the big man.
    I thought he was actually a Pars fan to be honest. It was a tragic situation when he died. him and his girlfriend, slipped away overnight due to carbon monoxide poisoning iirc. never heard of him being a Hibs man.

Never knew that either.john Watson the ex pars striker sits near me in the east.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    The East Port, his pub in Dunfermline, was my mate's local. If McCathie wasn't a Par at that time then he was a very good actor
    Last edited by Peevemor; 29-03-2018 at 06:23 AM.

I’m sure he was a Hibs fan from Westerhailes area.

Quote Originally Posted by StevieCowan View Post
    I’m sure he was a Hibs fan from Westerhailes area.
    I thought it was Leith area, my late Father in Law signed him for Edina hibs after seeing him having a kick about, dont ever recall him mentioning who Norrie supported though

Fairly certain he was a Hearts fan. I have a recollection of him saying so in the build up to Hibs games and the Hibs fans chanting "you Hearts B@$*@5d" at him.

Quote Originally Posted by happyhibbie View Post
    I thought it was Leith area, my late Father in Law signed him for Edina hibs after seeing him having a kick about, dont ever recall him mentioning who Norrie supported though
    I think he’s went to Forester High school

Quote Originally Posted by monktonharp View Post
    I thought he was actually a Pars fan to be honest. It was a tragic situation when he died. him and his girlfriend, slipped away overnight due to carbon monoxide poisoning iirc. never heard of him being a Hibs man.
    It wasn't his girlfriend as she was pregnant at the time and gave birth two months later.

Quote Originally Posted by StevieCowan View Post
    I think he’s went to Forester High school
    You could be right mate, my memory isnt too great nowadays 😁

Quote Originally Posted by Steven79 View Post
    It wasn't his girlfriend as she was pregnant at the time and gave birth two months later.
    It was his girlfriend. He was separated from his pregnant wife at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    It was his girlfriend. He was separated from his pregnant wife at the time.
    That wasn't his wife who was expecting it was the daughter of a club director.

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Norri......-a060570772

Obviously his and his "friends" death were tragic but he clearly wasn't the saint that many make him out to be.
    Last edited by Steven79; 29-03-2018 at 09:58 AM.

Left by mutual consent!
    One of my mates is actually related to him in some way.

Was one of my old mans closest pals. Played together at boys club level. Broke my old mans heart when he passed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Norrie

and the Falkirk fans made the hissing sound of escaping gas the next time they played, dint know if that still goes on as they’ve graduated to throwing rubber eyes on the pitch. Sick bunch

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by highland hibbee View Post
    and the Falkirk fans made the hissing sound of escaping gas the next time they played, dint know if that still goes on as they’ve graduated to throwing rubber eyes on the pitch. Sick bunch
    Is this not the source of the rivalry between Dunfermline and Falkirk?

After 15 years with one club, I think we can say he was a Par!
    And a great one.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    Pretty sure the rivalry goes further back than that. Not altogether sure the background.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    I “played” a season or so in that Edina Hibs team. Norrie and I used to populate the bench almost weekly no matter what we did on the park when we eventually got game time. A certain disgraced coach the main culprit. His parents never missed a match.

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    I “played” a season or so in that Edina Hibs team. Norrie and I used to populate the bench almost weekly no matter what we did on the park when we eventually got game time. A certain disgraced coach the main culprit. His parents never missed a match.
    Wasnt it just his Mum ? Im sure I remember my Father in Law saying that when he invited Norrie for training he went to his Mums house to ask her, she said he didnt have boots & she couldnt afford to buy him any as she was a single Mum, my Father in Law said the club would give him a pair. Mind you his memory was prob gone by then & he might have been spraffing 😀

Wasnt it just his Mum ? Im sure I remember my Father in Law saying that when he invited Norrie for training he went to his Mums house to ask her, she said he didnt have boots & she couldnt afford to buy him any as she was a single Mum, my Father in Law said the club would give him a pair. Mind you his memory was prob gone by then & he might have been spraffing ��
    Possibly. There was a chap who went with her. Maybe wasn’t his Dad of course. Just assumed. Never asked to be honest. Not the thing you did as a 14 year old.

Possibly. There was a chap who went with her. Maybe wasn’t his Dad of course. Just assumed. Never asked to be honest. Not the thing you did as a 14 year old.
    True mate 😆 were your Coaches John (Jock) Morrison & Ronnie Macdonald ? I remember Jock telling me there was always a lot of infighing within the Coaching staff, he had enough and left for Craigmillar hearts, he took a few of the lads with him, that might have been a few years later though as Im sure they were a bit older than 14, unless they were given a few tips from the Saudi Arabian team 😆

True mate 😆 were your Coaches John (Jock) Morrison & Ronnie Macdonald ? I remember Jock telling me there was always a lot of infighing within the Coaching staff, he had enough and left for Craigmillar hearts, he took a few of the lads with him, that might have been a few years later though as Im sure they were a bit older than 14, unless they were given a few tips from the Saudi Arabian team 😆
    Na. Gordon Neely was the main man. Jackie Myles auld man was there too. (Don’t remember him doing too much ciaching right enough) don’t really remember any others. It was a long time ago. I remember Neely though. Fell out with him on a weekly basis. Nothing untoward but just a complete arse with me. Maybe because I always answered him back to be fair.

Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post

I've got a few mates that a Par's fans, they told me it's not rivalry it's hatred.

Na. Gordon Neely was the main man. Jackie Myles auld man was there too. (Don’t remember him doing too much ciaching right enough) don’t really remember any others. It was a long time ago. I remember Neely though. Fell out with him on a weekly basis. Nothing untoward but just a complete arse with me. Maybe because I always answered him back to be fair.
    Think it was 16s Jock coached but was always out scouting for talent of all ages, think Edina were quite successful at all age groups back in the day, I got as far as trials but never got a sniff of a contract 😀

Think it was 16s Jock coached but was always out scouting for talent of all ages, think Edina were quite successful at all age groups back in the day, I got as far as trials but never got a sniff of a contract 😀
    We had a really successful season. I’ve a few gongs up the loft somewhere. Moved on to Easthouses and Bonnyrigg & Poltonhall (both nearer home) before injury scuppered it.

We had a really successful season. I’ve a few gongs up the loft somewhere. Moved on to Easthouses and Bonnyrigg & Poltonhall (both nearer home) before injury scuppered it.
    Played for a boys club team where 9/10 of the team signed pro only downside we played in maroon

Quote Originally Posted by WoreTheGreen View Post
    Played for a boys club team where 9/10 of the team signed pro only downside we played in maroon
    That Edina side were the same. I think myself and Norrie were the only ones not on S forms as they were known at the time. Only Norrie went onto have any success in the top ranks.

That Edina side were the same. I think myself and Norrie were the only ones not on S forms as they were known at the time. Only Norrie went onto have any success in the top ranks.
    Any names and what year might recognise some names

Coaching Staff
    He really was a good player. Sad day when he died.