hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best and worst kits ever in Scottish football

You can tell it's international week with not much current Hibs news to talk about!

What are the best and worst strips that you've seen over the years?

Can be good or bad, Hibs, rival teams or Scotland, home, away, goalkeeper shirts. Post photos if you know how!

Some of the best Hibs home:

Given that I'm a big fan of retro, I'm surprised my favourite Hibs shirts are both recent ones. Whilst it doesn't hold many pleasant memories (and shame it fell apart in the wash too), the 2013-14 kit is about as simple as you can get for a Hibs shirt – it's exactly what a modern day Hibs kit should look like. The white should always stop at the arms and not on the shoulders IMO.

Likewise, the 2016-17 was class too, for the same reasons. Perhaps there's something cool about Nike, or maybe it's that they got the shade of green spot on, unlike several of the manufactures before and after them.

Best Hibs away:

This was smart as hell, and despite being 13 years old, wouldn't look out of place at all if we wore it now.
    Last edited by Austinho; 29-03-2018 at 10:32 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Worst Hibs kits:

This is up there with our worst away kits. Having red on a Hibs shirt never sat right with me anyway, and think all the Whyte Mackay kits from then were spoiled accordingly because of that. Throw 3 shades of green and a bright yellow into the mix and it's going to look shocking.

Whereas I loved the Nike bottle green cup final 2016 kit, there was something about the Puma version I hated. Think the shade of green was too dark and turged, rather than a nice 'bottle' green, and the fact it fit like a bin bag didn't help. Most of our Puma kits were dreadful come to think of it.

Pick any of Jim Leighton's goalie kit and it would belong here. They were so awful they're kind of brilliant. Would love to own one nowadays.
    Last edited by Austinho; 27-03-2018 at 06:21 AM.

Worst:

I mean, this whole thread is basically an excuse just to post this, right? Not just one of the worst kits in Scotland, Hearts will be feature on every 'worst kit of all time' blog for the rest of time.

Hard to look past anything with lime green and brown in it.

Best:

Pains me to say it, but I used to be pretty jealous when my mates got to rock up in this for P.E. in the mid 90s, when I was sporting a fairly naff Mitre
    hibs kit instead.

Scotland's Euro 96 kit was class.

First Team Breakthrough DeLaGaff's Avatar
    Any Motherwell strip, ever...
    Particularly thinking the home strip, but granted that you can't do much design wise to make those colours look appetising, you would think they would make more effort with the away strips?!

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Designed by the chairman's wife IIRC

season-19921993-falkirk-crawford-baptie-bjh5wb.jpg

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    That puma home top was a shocker, what were the sleeves all about? Really skinny drain pipe sleeves that were about 3 inches longer but also much narrower than normal sleeves.

My pick for best kit would be put away kit the season we won the Scottish cup, outstanding.

Home and away 2015/16.
    Close thread.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Austinho View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Worst:

I mean, this whole thread is basically an excuse just to post this, right? Not just one of the worst kits in Scotland, Hearts will be feature on every 'worst kit of all time' blog for the rest of time.

Best:

Pains me to say it, but I used to be pretty jealous when my mates got to rock up in this for P.E. in the mid 90s, when I was sporting a fairly naff Mitre
    hibs kit instead.

Spot on with the worst ever. Hertz arse licking to the upper classes battenberg cake number is out on its own.

That Celtic one was the next one that springs to mind. The chevron action flash is like a graph following Celtic's on field trajectory from the 80s to the 90s! Decent to pretty crap!

Can't agree with any Rangers top looking good. Just seeing that crest is enough for any decent human being to be disgusted.
    Last edited by Baader; 27-03-2018 at 01:36 PM.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jimmy View Post
    Home and away 2015/16.
    Close thread.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    Disagree. Reopen thread

Quote Originally Posted by Marabou Stork View Post
    Worst (Other than the yellow hearts monstrosity):
    1994-96-aberdeen-home-shirt-b-12119-1.jpg
    I actually think that kit is amazing!

Worst:

Best:

hibs kit instead.

Quote Originally Posted by DeLaGaff View Post
    Any Motherwell strip, ever...
    Particularly thinking the home strip, but granted that you can't do much design wise to make those colours look appetising, you would think they would make more effort with the away strips?!
    I actually think they've had some decent ones over the years – it's usually the cheap tacky sponsors that spoils them.

Although granted, the more they channel their inner Jambos, the worse they look

And I see what you mean about some of the away numbers

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Worst:

The "peoples" one looks as if someone's tipped a couple of tins of paint over it.

Clydebank's old zig-zag effort has to be up there. Seem to remember the away kit was yellow & black, making them look like a team of Charlie Brown's.

clydebank.JPG

I recall the McBean Hibs top was pretty bad.

I have one somewhere buried in a cupboard. The deeper the better.

@hibs.net private member Craig_HFC's Avatar
    PERSEVERE
    Verb: pə:ːsɪ'ˈvɪə/
    To not give up.
    To go the distance.
    To stop at nothing.

Left by mutual consent!
    Under the Worst category I'd put in that all green effort from the 1st season in the 1st Divison not just for the top but also for the laughable marketing that went in around it to cover the fact the club got bent over and jumped silly with a bland rent a shirt offering.

Pretty much every 90s keeper kit falls into both categories. They manage to be absolutely terrible but wonderfully brilliant at the same time. It's time they brought these back rather than the dull monochrome jobs that have been fashionable since Nike started the trend with all black in the early 00s. Link below for a few classics, a lot of those were tenplates so multiple clubs had them.

http://90sgoaliekits.tumblr.com

Just about every puma kit we had seemed to be dreadful but I couldn't stand this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Pretty much every 90s keeper kit falls into both categories. They manage to be absolutely terrible but wonderfully brilliant at the same time. It's time they brought these back rather than the dull monochrome jobs that have been fashionable since Nike started the trend with all black in the early 00s. Link below for a few classics, a lot of those were tenplates so multiple clubs had them.

http://90sgoaliekits.tumblr.com
    Don't know much about printing but wasn't the proliferation of mad kits in the 90s down to some newfangled way of printing computer graphics on fabric?

Hence you got stuff like these

I actually think they've had some decent ones over the years – it's usually the cheap tacky sponsors that spoils them.

Although granted, the more they channel their inner Jambos, the worse they look

And I see what you mean about some of the away numbers

I'd love a Hibs kit in the style of the top one with a white hoop similar to the Insave kit from the 80s.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

1995-96-scotland-goalkeeper-sh-15804-1.jpg

Had this amazing top when in p6-7

Wasn't there some absolutely awful strip from a Scottish team in the mid-90s that Jimmy Hill blasted in 4-4-2? It came out the same season that Spurs brought out a dark blue top during the Klinsmann era? I'm thinking it might have been sponsored by McGowans or Tunnocks. Was a div 1 team or below.
    It's annoying the heck out of me trying to remember enough to search for it - anyone got any ideas what my mind is pointing to but can't find?!?

Quote Originally Posted by heidtheba View Post
    Wasn't there some absolutely awful strip from a Scottish team in the mid-90s that Jimmy Hill blasted in 4-4-2? It came out the same season that Spurs brought out a dark blue top during the Klinsmann era? I'm thinking it might have been sponsored by McGowans or Tunnocks. Was a div 1 team or below.
    It's annoying the heck out of me trying to remember enough to search for it - anyone got any ideas what my mind is pointing to but can't find?!?

Morton away top - Buchanan's toffees - utterly howfin' top.

Quote Originally Posted by TRC View Post
    1995-96-scotland-goalkeeper-sh-15804-1.jpg

Had this amazing top when in p6-7
    I had that as well complete with black shorts with matching aide stripes and white socks with patterned turnovers.

From the Euro 96 qualifying campaign. They just don't nake them like that anymore.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Quote Originally Posted by IGRIGI View Post
    Under the Worst category I'd put in that all green effort from the 1st season in the 1st Divison not just for the top but also for the laughable marketing that went in around it to cover the fact the club got bent over and jumped silly with a bland rent a shirt offering.
    And with that post, every other nomination is now competing for the second worst of all time.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Quote Originally Posted by heidtheba View Post
    Morton away top - Buchanan's toffees - utterly howfin' top.
    Absolutely magnificent top, one of the best Scottish football tops ever produced.

The blue tartan top was the best one, they also did a red one.

Possibly the only non-Hibs Scottish club top that I would consider wearing.

The 1986 Dundee top was quite nice too. Looked best with a number 14 and no name on the back.

Worst:

Best:

hibs kit instead.

Don't know of it's just me but I didn't like the Scotland Euro 96 strip. Went to Villa Park to see us beat Switzerland 1-0 and was going to buy the top while there to wear that night. Saw it up close and decided not to bother.