hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: David Beckham

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Probably depends on people’s definition of world class to be fair. I’ve seen people suggest the likes of Ozil,Kan te (seems to get blocked if you put it all together ), Mane etc are world class. If you’d class them as world class then Beckham probably would be aswell. Where as id say there’s only one or two world class players currently playing in England. To me, world class is Messi, Ronaldo, Suarez, Neymar etc, not the guys listed above, Beckham included.
    There's "one or two" playing for most of the top 6-8 clubs in England. Never mind the league.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    It's interesting that you say he doesn't belong in the same group as Zidane, Figo and Scholes because that's exactly the group he was included with all throughout his career.
    I wouldn’t say he was ever included in that group. At the time nobody would have said Beckham was better or even as good as Zidane, Figo, Ronaldinho etc. A bit like how James Milner has played with Aguero, Salah, David Silva etc throughout his career but you would never claim he was that level of player or put him in the same bracket as them just because he played beside them.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jimmy View Post
    There's "one or two" playing for most of the top 6-8 clubs in England. Never mind the league.

Na, not for me. If that’s the case then there’s probably around 40 world class footballers. Kind of dilutes the term world class IMO.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Beckham was a good player who got the absolute most out of his talent. Which is admirable given how we can relate closer to home with some our our youngsters and wonder what might have been.

He had an excellent career, but I'm not always convinced it was solely down to his footballing ability. The "brand Beckham" and his ability to sell strips was a big factor in the likes of Real Madrid signing him.
    Selling strips to pay for salaries and transfer fees is a myth. It's impossible.

Clubs receive about £5 per shirt and that's only after so many have been sold.

e.g. Man U have a £750m deal with Adidas, regardless of who they sign.

I also don't think that a huge club like Real Madrid would need to sign a player for mainly commercial reasons.

LA Galaxy and MLS will have benefited from his signing, however, as it will have raised the profile of the club and the sport in the US.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Selling strips to pay for salaries and transfer fees is a myth. It's impossible.

I also don't think that a huge club like Real Madrid would need to sign a player for mainly commercial reasons.

LA Galaxy and MLS will have benefited from his signing, however, as it will have raised the profile of the club and the sport in the US.
    Spot on.

If Beckham had the career that he's had but looked like Paul Scholes (who I also firmly believe is an all time great) and didn't marry a Spice Girl, I think there would be much less debate.

Na, not for me. If that’s the case then there’s probably around 40 world class footballers. Kind of dilutes the term world class IMO.
    If you want a world 11 or even a world 22 etc then that is a different argument, however there is plenty chance you could pick 11 then sub in and out some players and not make much difference really.

When you watch the world cup this summer, most of the top players will be playing in the English Premier League.

Your argument isn't about ability its about what constitutes this mythological term "world class".

City have about 5 or 6 alone. Aguero, Silva, De Bryne, Sane and Kompany.
    Man United have the best goalkeeper in the world and you could lay arguments for other players.
    Hazard at Chelsea.
    Kane at Spurs in the best centre forward in the world right now. You could argue others but it's unquestionable that he's world class. You could even argue that Erikson is up There, he is absolutely outstanding

I haven't even included Salah as I do think he needs another season such as this to prove it's not a flash in the pan.

I don't get the argument that player x isn't world class because player y is. Ronaldo and Messi are both up there with the best ever. Who cares which one is better? There's also a bitterness about the English leagues because of the money involved. Just as I think a lot of the time it's over rated, I also fully admit that some of the players are up there with the absolute best in the world.

There's certainly more than 1 or 2 of the latter.

So, is it now a hibs.net fact that unless a player is as good or better than Messi and Ronaldo, he isn't world class?

Quote Originally Posted by Sioux View Post
    So, is it now a hibs.net fact that unless a player is as good or better than Messi and Ronaldo, he isn't world class?
    Who's said that?

If you want a world 11 or even a world 22 etc then that is a different argument, however there is plenty chance you could pick 11 then sub in and out some players and not make much difference really.

When you watch the world cup this summer, most of the top players will be playing in the English Premier League.

Your argument isn't about ability its about what constitutes this mythological term "world class".

Man United have the best goalkeeper in the world and you could lay arguments for other players.
    Hazard at Chelsea.
    Kane at Spurs in the best centre forward in the world right now. You could argue others but it's unquestionable that he's world class. You could even argue that Erikson is up There, he is absolutely outstanding

I haven't even included Salah as I do think he needs another season such as this to prove it's not a flash in the pan.

I don't get the argument that player x isn't world class because player y is. Ronaldo and Messi are both up there with the best ever. Who cares which one is better? There's also a bitterness about the English leagues because of the money involved. Just as I think a lot of the time it's over rated, I also fully admit that some of the players are up there with the absolute best in the world.

I concur.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Hazard at Chelsea.

The bit about most of the top players playing in the EPL again isn’t something I agree with. When I watch the World Cup the players I’ll be looking out for are Messi, Ronaldo, Suarez, Cavani, Neymar, Aguero, De Bruyne, Lewandowski, Ramos, Pique, Alba, Dani Alves, not Hazard, Sane, K ante, Lukaku and Kompany. There’s a gulf between these players and the majority of the best players in the EPL which means they’re not world class, not to me anyway.

Back on the topic of Beckham though, I’ve already acknowledged he was a very good player. But to me he didn’t have the power or pace to be in the level of the world class players of his time like Zidane, Ronaldinho, Henry, Ronaldo etc. If he did, along with the work rate he possessed and technical ability, he probably would have been world class, but it was something that was missing from his game to take him to that level IMO.
    Last edited by calumhibee1; 27-03-2018 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sioux View Post
    No

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar

http://www.goal.com/en/news/from-bec...i1lddovoiqij6s

Here's the Real Madrid chairman at the time:

“People understand the obvious – that we sign big players like Ronaldo, [Zinedine] Zidane and [Luis] Figo. But after the players there is the economic sports equation"

“In our model it is fundamental to understand that in the signing of every player, we have to have in our heads: what's the income generated?”

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    http://www.goal.com/en/news/from-bec...i1lddovoiqij6s

Here's the Real Madrid chairman at the time:

“People understand the obvious – that we sign big players like Ronaldo, [Zinedine] Zidane and [Luis] Figo. But after the players there is the economic sports equation"

“In our model it is fundamental to understand that in the signing of every player, we have to have in our heads: what's the income generated?”
    Interesting, right enough. Thanks for that.

Here's another take on it.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...w-market-myths
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

First Team Breakthrough
    Most of the quotes on this thread rate him with a few saying he was average. personally I think he was a good player, not world class as that's a statement over used IMO. It would be interesting to see if genuine England international supporters would put him into a greatest ever 11 for England.

I also think it would be interesting to know what the players he played with thought of him.

Pretty boy who stole a living based on his looks?

Would Gary Neville have the medal collection he did without the graft Beckham put in tracking back and helping out his fullback?

Would the Man Utd strikers have got as many goals without the deliveries he put in from out wide?

Of all the players in the world, who would the Man Utd players have wanted to be whipping in the corners in the final few minutes of the 1999 Champions League final?

I heard that he actually got on very well with the "galacticos", and in particular the South American players when at Real Madrid. He got a bit more trouble from the established Spanish clique that existed within that dressing room.

@hibs.net private member
    As England captain he cowardly jumped a tackle against Brazil in the South Korea World Cup

which led directly to Rivaldo's great goal.

That summed him up to me. A good player when it didn't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    It became fashionable for a while to criticise Beckham and say that he was pish.

I always thought he was class - outstanding set piece delivery and great fitness levels.

His attitude towards playing for his country was inspirational.

He's meant to be a very decent bloke as well.

That's my take on the guy as well

Didn't understand some of the stuff against him

And a class footballer

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by fulshie View Post
    Most of the quotes on this thread rate him with a few saying he was average. personally I think he was a good player, not world class as that's a statement over used IMO. It would be interesting to see if genuine England international supporters would put him into a greatest ever 11 for England.

He might not make the first 11 depending on the manager but he would without a shadow of a doubt make the the squad via supporters opinion. He got sent off in a world cup match in his younger days. He was blamed for England losing the match and was cast into the wilderness. He won his way back into favour with supporters and pundits alike through dedication, enthusiasm and performance and was rightly capped again and again. He wasn't the messiah but in a few games he carried a lack lustre England team to victory. "World class" is an individual viewpoint approached from many different angles so I won't labour that one but pretty much every team he played for was better for him being in it. Clubs like publicity and merchandising but they are surely not blinded to the fact that every signing should be good enough to make the starting eleven.

I willl leave it there as I think his CV tells his story better than I can.

Quote Originally Posted by City of Green View Post
    Wouldn't make it into my Top 1000 players of all time list.

Sorry - but the guy did very well for himself considering but someone like Scholes was a much better player.

Beckham did well winning titles wherever he went but also was surrounded by some fantastic players.

Nothing against him just another media hyped up player.
    I would genuinely like to see who the other 1000 players are that were better than David Beckham.

For free kicks alone he deserves his place amongst the world's best.

The Manchester Utd midfield of David Beckham, Roy Keane, Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs was one of the best midfields of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    I would genuinely like to see who the other 1000 players are that were better than David Beckham.

For free kicks alone he deserves his place amongst the world's best.

The Manchester Utd midfield of David Beckham, Roy Keane, Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs was one of the best midfields of all time.
    A close second to McGinn, McGeough and Allan

A close second to McGinn, McGeough and Allan
    I thought that went without saying.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    As England captain he cowardly jumped a tackle against Brazil in the South Korea World Cup

Looked at the incident that you are referring to and it's an interesting interpretation - not least because Paul Scholes subsequently lost possession cheaply - and not to mention the fact that Ronaldinho then ran from his own half, before playing Rivaldo in.

Doesn't sum up Beckham at all - and given the abuse he faced in his career, not least after the 1998 World Cup when he was only 23, I don't really think his bravery or character is in question.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar

Hazard at Chelsea.

Not usually the case that. The last world cup not sure any of the top performers played in England.

Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post

You're judging a player's career on one incident?

How many tackles has Christiano Ronaldo made in his career?

Not as good as the likes of Messi or Ronaldo but still a great player.
    Could be the wrong opposition, sure it was a qualifier at Wembley against Greece and they were either down one or drawing.
    Beckham was immense in dragging them back into it.

Beckham was a great player, and I have no doubt he was World Class. Surely if you get bought by several of the best and biggest teams in the world you are world class.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Albert of Kidd View Post
    Beckham was a great player, and I have no doubt he was World Class. Surely if you get bought by several of the best and biggest teams in the world you are world class.
    I give you Lassana Diarra. It’s not always an indication of you being world class.

Quote Originally Posted by stoneyburn hibs View Post
    Not as good as the likes of Messi or Ronaldo but still a great player.
    Could be the wrong opposition, sure it was a qualifier at Wembley against Greece and they were either down one or drawing.
    Beckham was immense in dragging them back into it.
    Game against Greece at Old Trafford, he dragged them back into the game and eventually scored one of his trademark free kicks though the ref gave him a few tries to get it right. Think he is a guy who got the best out of himself and while many of the teams may have seen some commercial benefit in him playing for them there is no doubt he was a very good footballer.

"He cannot kick with his left foot, he cannot head a ball, he cannot tackle and he doesn't score many goals"

"Apart from that, he's alright"

George Best's opinion of David Beckham.

Who am I to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    "He cannot kick with his left foot, he cannot head a ball, he cannot tackle and he doesn't score many goals"

"Apart from that, he's alright"

George Best's opinion of David Beckham.

Who am I to argue.