hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 79

Thread: David Beckham

  1. #1
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    I live for dull football
    Posts
    43,090

    David Beckham

    Is anyone watching the programme on Sky right now about Beckham at Real Madrid?

    What a player he was.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2
    @hibs.net private member FitbaFolkKen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Newtongrange
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,654
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is anyone watching the programme on Sky right now about Beckham at Real Madrid?

    What a player he was.
    What was it called? Might try and get it on catch up if you recommend watching it. Cheers


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #3
    @hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Newcastle/Gateshead
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,266
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    If we had someone who could take a set piece like Beckham weíd be top of the league!


  5. #4
    Coaching Staff Smartie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Age
    42
    Posts
    13,139
    It became fashionable for a while to criticise Beckham and say that he was pish.

    I always thought he was class - outstanding set piece delivery and great fitness levels.

    His attitude towards playing for his country was inspirational.

    He's meant to be a very decent bloke as well.

  6. #5
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    I live for dull football
    Posts
    43,090
    Quote Originally Posted by FitbaFolkKen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What was it called? Might try and get it on catch up if you recommend watching it. Cheers


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It was a short programme right after the Irish football. I don't know what it was called, sorry.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!



  7. #6
    @hibs.net private member Peevemor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Saint-Malo, Brittany
    Age
    53
    Posts
    22,254
    I always rated him but for me he was like some musicians and singers that have astonishing technical ability but everything's a bit "wooden", ie. they lack the natural music/feeling that would make them truly great.

  8. #7
    Coaching Staff lyonhibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Zurich
    Age
    35
    Posts
    12,804
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It became fashionable for a while to criticise Beckham and say that he was pish.

    I always thought he was class - outstanding set piece delivery and great fitness levels.

    His attitude towards playing for his country was inspirational.

    He's meant to be a very decent bloke as well.

    I fell into that bracket initially. Grew out of it rapidly though.

    One of perhaps the top 25 midfielders England has ever produced.

  9. #8
    Testimonial Due hibby6270's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Leith, Edinburgh
    Age
    62
    Posts
    2,293
    Quote Originally Posted by FitbaFolkKen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What was it called? Might try and get it on catch up if you recommend watching it. Cheers


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Itís one of those 15 minute filler programmes they have on Sky Sports Football. Itís called La Liga Icons.

    The Beckham one is being shown again on Tuesday at 13:45.

  10. #9
    @hibs.net private member calumhibee1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    11,809
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I always rated him but for me he was like some musicians and singers that have astonishing technical ability but everything's a bit "wooden", ie. they lack the natural music/feeling that would make them truly great.
    Yup, agreed. Very good technically, hard worker but lacked the pace, agility or power to be world class IMO. Seems like a really good guy aswell.

  11. #10
    Wouldn't make it into my Top 1000 players of all time list.

    Sorry - but the guy did very well for himself considering but someone like Scholes was a much better player.

    Beckham did well winning titles wherever he went but also was surrounded by some fantastic players.

    Nothing against him just another media hyped up player.

  12. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I fell into that bracket initially. Grew out of it rapidly though.

    One of perhaps the top 25 midfielders England has ever produced.
    I think thatís about right- maybe even top 10-15.

    His image worked for and against him in terms of how highly he was rated. People in the USA thought he was supposed to be the worlds best player and probably the same in The Far East.

    Folk who said he was anything less than excellent were wrong though.

  13. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by City of Green View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wouldn't make it into my Top 1000 players of all time list.

    Sorry - but the guy did very well for himself considering but someone like Scholes was a much better player.

    Beckham did well winning titles wherever he went but also was surrounded by some fantastic players.

    Nothing against him just another media hyped up player.
    Id be very interested to see that list.

  14. #13
    Coaching Staff lyonhibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Zurich
    Age
    35
    Posts
    12,804
    [QUOTE=City of Green;5353624]Wouldn't make it into my Top 1000 players of all time list.

    Sorry - but the guy did very well for himself considering but someone like Scholes was a much better player.

    Beckham did well winning titles wherever he went but also was surrounded by some fantastic players.

    Nothing against him just another media hyped up player.[/QUOTE

    Of course Scholes, Zidane et al were better but not in your top one *thousand*?!?

    Are you sure??
    Last edited by lyonhibs; 26-03-2018 at 10:57 PM.

  15. #14
    [QUOTE=lyonhibs;5353629]
    Quote Originally Posted by City of Green View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wouldn't make it into my Top 1000 players of all time list.

    Sorry - but the guy did very well for himself considering but someone like Scholes was a much better player.

    Beckham did well winning titles wherever he went but also was surrounded by some fantastic players.

    Nothing against him just another media hyped up player.[/QUOTE

    Of course Scholes, Zidane et al were better but not in your top one *thousand*?!?

    Are you sure??
    You know what I mean - for me he isn't a great.

    There are many great players who didn't make as much money or win as many trophies / sell as many shirts etc.

    Beckham is a household name and like Gary Neville did extremely well with the limited ability he had but there are many better players. Like I said massive credit to Beckham for the titles he won and what he did in the game but when I think of great players he doesn't come close to many others.

    People thinking Beckham is a great player are probably the ones who think Ronaldo is better than Messi

    Everyone is allowed an opinion

  16. #15
    I wish I had the limited ability of Beckham. World class at his best, extremely talented. Just took a different path career wise that will see him make money Scholes could only dream of.

  17. #16
    @hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    exile
    Posts
    17,729
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wish I had the limited ability of Beckham. World class at his best, extremely talented. Just took a different path career wise that will see him make money Scholes could only dream of.

    By any measure he had a fabulous career. Went to Real Madrid as a galactico and won his place in the team.

    He might not be world class but he must surely be very close??

  18. #17
    First Team Regular TelaStella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    EH16
    Posts
    510
    Quote Originally Posted by City of Green View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wouldn't make it into my Top 1000 players of all time list.

    Sorry - but the guy did very well for himself considering but someone like Scholes was a much better player.

    Beckham did well winning titles wherever he went but also was surrounded by some fantastic players.

    Nothing against him just another media hyped up player.
    Wouldn't make your top 1000 seriously?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  19. #18
    Testimonial Due
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Shanghai, China
    Posts
    1,107
    Quote Originally Posted by SRHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If we had someone who could take a set piece like Beckham weíd be top of the league!
    Maybe all we need is to sign that dead ball specialist across the city, Malaury Martin?

  20. #19
    4th best player of that Man United era behind Scholes, Giggs and Keane for me

  21. #20
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    53
    Posts
    20,658
    If Beckham wasn't world class then the use of that description means nothing. Of course he was, fantastic player underrated by many.

  22. #21
    Coaching Staff hibsbollah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    49
    Posts
    24,840
    I've always agreed that he is underrated, probably because of his celebrity. He was right up there with the best in the world at free kicks and crossing from the right. Fantastically accurate.

  23. #22
    So someone with 115 England caps that has played for Man Utd, Real Madrid, Paris St Germain and AC Milan had limited ability and wasnít world class? Itís possible to say he wasnít the best player in the world while recognising that he very much earned the right to play at the very highest level.

  24. #23
    @hibs.net private member calumhibee1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    11,809
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If Beckham wasn't world class then the use of that description means nothing. Of course he was, fantastic player underrated by many.
    Probably depends on peopleís definition of world class to be fair. Iíve seen people suggest the likes of Ozil,Kan te (seems to get blocked if you put it all together ), Mane etc are world class. If youíd class them as world class then Beckham probably would be aswell. Where as id say thereís only one or two world class players currently playing in England. To me, world class is Messi, Ronaldo, Suarez, Neymar etc, not the guys listed above, Beckham included.
    Last edited by calumhibee1; 27-03-2018 at 07:27 AM.

  25. #24
    Beckham was a victim of his own success, in football at any rate. He went from being appreciated to being massively underrated very quickly. It became fashionable for columnists to slate him, Aidan Smith had an almost pathological hatred of him, and some fans followed suit. I didn't really get why, maybe it made them feel clever to be different.

    You don't win what Beckham did or play for the managers and clubs he did unless you are a very good player. The argument he was 'surrounded by good players' I often read is nonsense. A mediocre playee might get away with that for a season or 2 but Beckham played at top clubs for over a decade in teams full of top class players because he himself was a top class player who belonged in that environment.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

  26. #25
    Beckham was quality but i wouldn't put him in the same group as Zidane, Figo, Scholes, Ronaldinho etc of that era. He was probably in the group below. Very good player nonetheless

  27. #26
    @hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    3,045
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Beckham was a victim of his own success, in football at any rate. He went from being appreciated to being massively underrated very quickly. It became fashionable for columnists to slate him, Aidan Smith had an almost pathological hatred of him, and some fans followed suit. I didn't really get why, maybe it made them feel clever to be different.

    You don't win what Beckham did or play for the managers and clubs he did unless you are a very good player. The argument he was 'surrounded by good players' I often read is nonsense. A mediocre playee might get away with that for a season or 2 but Beckham played at top clubs for over a decade in teams full of top class players because he himself was a top class player who belonged in that environment.
    There's also an argument that if you're playing with top class players then rather than hide your lack of ability it becomes even more obvious you shouldn't be there.

    Always did well in whatever team he was in, agree with those saying he's massively underrated.

  28. #27
    @hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Prestonfield
    Age
    42
    Posts
    7,218
    Superb player, and a great by any possible measure - many league titles including in three of Europe's top leagues, 115 caps for his country. Only an injury away from appearing in four World Cups as well.

    Actually had a considerable impact on the game as well - I don't recall seeing free kicks taken in the way he often did, before he came along.

  29. #28
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    I live for dull football
    Posts
    43,090
    [QUOTE=City of Green;5353630]
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    You know what I mean - for me he isn't a great.

    There are many great players who didn't make as much money or win as many trophies / sell as many shirts etc.

    Beckham is a household name and like Gary Neville did extremely well with the limited ability he had but there are many better players. Like I said massive credit to Beckham for the titles he won and what he did in the game but when I think of great players he doesn't come close to many others.

    People thinking Beckham is a great player are probably the ones who think Ronaldo is better than Messi

    Everyone is allowed an opinion
    I don't know how much you saw of him playing for Real Madrid, but you should watch that programme when it comes on again on Tuesday.

    His passing was magnificent and his free kick ability must be amongst the best in the world ever.

    Messi is better than Ronaldo. Different, but better.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!



  30. #29
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    I live for dull football
    Posts
    43,090
    Quote Originally Posted by KingDomofFife84 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Beckham was quality but i wouldn't put him in the same group as Zidane, Figo, Scholes, Ronaldinho etc of that era. He was probably in the group below. Very good player nonetheless
    It's interesting that you say he doesn't belong in the same group as Zidane, Figo and Scholes because that's exactly the group he was included with all throughout his career.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!



  31. #30
    @hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    34
    Posts
    3,325
    Beckham was a good player who got the absolute most out of his talent. Which is admirable given how we can relate closer to home with some our our youngsters and wonder what might have been.

    He had an excellent career, but I'm not always convinced it was solely down to his footballing ability. The "brand Beckham" and his ability to sell strips was a big factor in the likes of Real Madrid signing him. He only won 1 title and 1 charity shield in 4 years at Madrid which is a barren spell by their standards.

    I thought he was a good player, but his reputation far outweighed his actual talent as he was as much a celebrity as he was a footballer.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)