hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Refereeing - Thomson next up

Another hopeless decision by another useless cretin masquerading as a top class referee
    Time the clubs got together and did something
    Last edited by houstonhibbee; 19-03-2018 at 12:21 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by houstonhibbee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Another hopeless decision by another useless cretin masquerading as a top class referee
    Help ma Boab. Hold the headlines!

Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    Help ma Boab. Hold the headlines!
    so ok quelle surprise but you're just happy to accept the status quo?
    Last edited by houstonhibbee; 19-03-2018 at 12:43 AM.

so ok quelle surprise but you're just happy to accept the status quo?
    Sorry HH, we seem to be having a wee misunderstanding.
    Help ma Boab - its Thompson!"
    "Hold the headlines for yet another shocking refereeing performance" was what I was meaning.

Sorry HH, we seem to be having a wee misunderstanding.
    Help ma Boab - its Thompson!"
    "Hold the headlines for yet another shocking refereeing performance" was what I was meaning.
    Sorry humour failure at my end. Just so sick of the injustice of it all - even after my 59 years. We really do need to get foreign referees.

Sorry humour failure at my end. Just so sick of the injustice of it all - even after my 59 years. We really do need to get foreign referees.
    You think the clubs will agree to pay all of the associated costs involved with bringing in foreign referees over a long period of time?

Extra costs would that mean paying more.than the £700 or so a game that this lot get that referee here ...do our lot not get expenses as well. An extra couple of hundred quid might actually prove goodvue for money !!!
    If its not £700 or so a game I stand corrected ..hope its less not more 😁

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by eastcoasthibby View Post
    Extra costs would that mean paying more.than the £700 or so a game that this lot get that referee here ...do our lot not get expenses as well. An extra couple of hundred quid might actually prove goodvue for money !!!
    I think they’re on £850 a match. More than a lot of the players in the league are.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    I think they’re on £850 a match. More than a lot of the players in the league are.
    Maybe that's why some of them seem to think they're the stars of the show, not the players!

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    Sounds about right. If they’re refereeing a game without one of the top 4 or Hearts in it there’s a good chance they’ll be the best paid person on the pitch. Ridiculous. And I’m sure they’re part time aswell?

Quote Originally Posted by GloryGlory View Post
    Maybe that's why some of them seem to think they're the stars of the show, not the players!
    This certainly seem to be the case with a few of them

He retires at the end of this season so he'll be able to renew his tramps season ticket. Wan#er.

@hibs.net private member staunchhibby's Avatar
    Once again another incompetent display from our so called competent referees.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Sounds about right. If they’re refereeing a game without one of the top 4 or Hearts in it there’s a good chance they’ll be the best paid person on the pitch. Ridiculous. And I’m sure they’re part time aswell?
    they’ve all got real jobs as well.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Are we saying that these incompetent jokers are earning at least approximately £3,400 per four week month for being crap/corrupt at the task of refereeing? How many games do they get to ref per season because I'd love to know what this gig is worth to them annually?

And they are in no way publicly accountable at all. Seems legit.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    Are we saying that these incompetent jokers are earning at least approximately £3,400 per four week month for being crap/corrupt at the task of refereeing? How many games do they get to ref per season because I'd love to know what this gig is worth to them annually?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/14064682

£840 back in 2011. I’d imagine over the last 7 years they’ve had a few increases though.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post

They are paid different amounts for different leagues. They don't ref every week.

In addition, they don't get expenses. They have to meet the costs of their own travel, kit, training courses, subs etc.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Is his name not Thomson?

I thought for one moment there were two of them. Thomson and Thompson?

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    They are paid different amounts for different leagues. They don't ref every week.

In addition, they don't get expenses. They have to meet the costs of their own travel, kit, training courses, subs etc.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk
    Don’t the home club still sort out travel for them? Hibs certainly used to have a wee 8 seater thing cart them to and from the ground. That was a few years back mind but I can’t see why that would change.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jgl07 View Post
    Is his name not Thomson?

If there are any top flight refs with the surname Thompson they'd still be useless

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Ok Tin Hat on here. I am in no way suggesting that there is not some bias involved with some referees, but I do think we need to look at the way football treats referees if we want to find the root of the problem here.

Basically being a referee is a completely thankless task, in fact I'm surprised we don't have a massive shortage of refs. To get to the stage that you are being paid £850 a game, you have to come up through the ranks, which involves the constant verbal and often physical abuse that is ladled out to refs up and down the land. Unless you are of the mentality that actually likes getting abuse and enjoys flashing yellow and red cards at people, why the hell would you want to get involved with refereeing at non professional level? there is certainly no money in it until you are much higher up the rankings. So basically, the way we treat referee's as amateur players and as fans, leads us to get a bunch of weirdos as pro refs, because intelligent, articulate, capable people with good judgement and a strong fairplay ethic, are unlikley to want to put up with all the hassle and abuse. Until refs start getting protection and respect from the lowest levels of football to the top level, we will continue to get an odd bunch of fairly incompetent and sometimes biased referees at the top level.

I also suspect that there are football fans on club forums right across the world, suggesting that they need to get "foreign" refs in because theirs are rubbish. In the world scheme of things, I doubt Scottish Refs are that much worst that Refs in most other countries.

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoasthibby View Post
    How much is it costing Hibs at the moment with all these wrong decisions, way more than a couple of thousand i would say.

Quote Originally Posted by May2116 View Post
    Don’t the home club still sort out travel for them? Hibs certainly used to have a wee 8 seater thing cart them to and from the ground. That was a few years back mind but I can’t see why that would change.
    You might be right in that. I used to act for a Grade 1 ref, but that was a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil MaGlass View Post
    How much is it costing Hibs at the moment with all these wrong decisions, way more than a couple of thousand i would say.
    I was just about to say that.
    I am quite prepared to give a ref a good bit of leeway as there's no doubt it's a difficult job. However, when the bad decisions flow only one way for several seasons and more, my tolerance takes a big hit.
    Sparky's 'no goal' cost us fortune alone.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl07 View Post
    Is his name not Thomson?

I think they're the two detectives from Tintin

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    Ok Tin Hat on here. I am in no way suggesting that there is not some bias involved with some referees, but I do think we need to look at the way football treats referees if we want to find the root of the problem here.

Basically being a referee is a completely thankless task, in fact I'm surprised we don't have a massive shortage of refs. To get to the stage that you are being paid £850 a game, you have to come up through the ranks, which involves the constant verbal and often physical abuse that is ladled out to refs up and down the land. Unless you are of the mentality that actually likes getting abuse and enjoys flashing yellow and red cards at people, why the hell would you want to get involved with refereeing at non professional level? there is certainly no money in it until you are much higher up the rankings. So basically, the way we treat referee's as amateur players and as fans, leads us to get a bunch of weirdos as pro refs, because intelligent, articulate, capable people with good judgement and a strong fairplay ethic, are unlikley to want to put up with all the hassle and abuse. Until refs start getting protection and respect from the lowest levels of football to the top level, we will continue to get an odd bunch of fairly incompetent and sometimes biased referees at the top level.

I also suspect that there are football fans on club forums right across the world, suggesting that they need to get "foreign" refs in because theirs are rubbish. In the world scheme of things, I doubt Scottish Refs are that much worst that Refs in most other countries.
    I agree.

Poor decisions are made in every league in the world and every club thinks that they are getting a raw deal.

Fans remember when a decision went against their team, but quickly forget the occasions on which they benefitted.

The idea that Scotland can't produce decent referees is a fallacy and insulting to the population.

Was it a Scottish referee during the Germany v England game when Lampard's goal was disallowed although it was clearly over the line, a la Griffith's?

Oh how we laughed.

Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    I agree.

Poor decisions are made in every league in the world and every club thinks that they are getting a raw deal.

Fans remember when a decision went against their team, but quickly forget the occasions on which they benefitted.

The idea that Scotland can't produce decent referees is a fallacy and insulting to the population.

Was it a Scottish referee during the Germany v England game when Lampard's goal was disallowed although it was clearly over the line, a la Griffith's?

Oh how we laughed.

Can you tell me the last time a team scored against us ( i.e. ball over the line) and it was disallowed.

Can you tell me the last time a team scored against us ( i.e. ball over the line) and it was disallowed.
    That reminds me of the beauty we got against Dunfermline in 2012 in the relegation game. Hanlons shot off the bar and must’ve came about 2 yards out the way, goal given. Not that it made a difference to the result but very amusing.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    I can't remember one and there's never been one as blatant as Griffith's.

What's your point, though?

I remember the Dundee United "goal" against Patrick. What a farce that was.

In reverse, it has happened.

Paul Hanlon was awarded a goal a few years ago, when the ball didn't cross the line.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/footb...iven-1-2285146