hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hibs, Hearts and Edinburgh Geography

Unlike Glasgow were religion is the main distinction between the teams, Edinburgh is supposed to divide more east or west.

That follows to an extent my parents are from the east of the city but my mum’s family moved to the west so my uncle is a Jambo.

However, I grew up in Currie and Balerno and felt the support was pretty much split 50/50.

Are there areas which are still most;y one team or the other? What about the south and north historically?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gilmerton Hibs

I was born/bred in Gilmerton late 60's/70's and the whole area was mostly Hibs when I grew up (Turnbulls Ttornados).

First Team Breakthrough
    Grew up in the Newington/Southside area and it was mainly Hibs. That was the 60s/70s though when Hibs were the better side (0-7) etc

Left by mutual consent!
    I would'd loved to have known where these 50/50 areas are in Currie and Balerno, I went to Balerno and for 7 years I was pretty much the only Hibs fan there.

I'm Niddrie/Craigmillar and it's a total hibs zone. You'll find more jambs in leith!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by IGRIGI View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would'd loved to have known where these 50/50 areas are in Currie and Balerno, I went to Balerno and for 7 years I was pretty much the only Hibs fan there.
    in the early to mid 70s you could not find a Hearts can anywhere. Hibs played the swashbuckling football and teenagers were drawn to ER. You could seem them against the best in Europe or challenging Stein's Celtic. That effect waned as the team waned. Mercer started the over spending and attracted better players of course. Hearts built up their support in the West of the city again and from other areas to. Sauzee /Latapy, the Golden generation and now Stubbs/Lennon have put that into reverse along with Hearts financial situation. Long may it continue.

First Team Regular dalkeith stu's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: hibeestu07
    Danderhall was full of Hearts and Huns. Probably only reason I'm not a hun too is my dad moved out from Leith. Thank you!!!!

My wife's family are from Balerno and I've heard from them it's full of Jambos. My father in law is pretty much the only hibs fan in his local.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    Unlike Glasgow were religion is the main distinction between the teams, Edinburgh is supposed to divide more east or west.

That follows to an extent my parents are from the east of the city but my mum’s family moved to the west so my uncle is a Jambo.

However, I grew up in Currie and Balerno and felt the support was pretty much split 50/50.

Are there areas which are still most;y one team or the other? What about the south and north historically?
    Not religious certainly, bit you can probably follow the main movements of people out of the southside / cowgate to track more traditional hibs areas.

For example, i would guess gilmerton, craigmillar and niddrie habe more hibs than hearts (certainly traditionally) due to families being moved there when the southside slums were cleared.

Obviously leith is a bit different, but again you could probably track leith families being moved to granton and muirhouse etc?

Id imagine the same is true of hearts, familues moving out of gorgie and dalry to wester hailes, saughton etc, and of course as the team of the establishment middle classes, the leafier suburbs full of the chirxh of scotland, rover driving lawyers who went to the right schools will be more hearts than hibs.

Also, my perception is that the wee tcheucter towns of East, West and Midlothian are more hearts, as families dont move out of these places, they just marry each other...😉

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar
    I was brought up in the Priestfield/Prestonfield area during the late 60’s early 70’s and it was predominantly Hibs

Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post

My dad grew up in North Berwick. He and most of his friends were Hibs
    Last edited by SirDavidsNapper; 09-03-2018 at 06:59 AM.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    I was brought up in Kingsknowe/Longstone. Although there were a good few Hibees, we were largely outnumbered by merricks.

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dalkeith stu View Post
    Danderhall was full of Hearts and Huns. Probably only reason I'm not a hun too is my dad moved out from Leith. Thank you!!!!
    Surprised by this as it’s so close to Niddrie & Gilmerton. Any reason for this anomaly?

Brought up in Danderhall and I'd probably say there's more Hearts than Hibs but I went to school in Dalkeith and I'd say there was comfortably more Hibs fans over there.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    I'm a member of Currie Bowls club and it's 90% Jambos.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spikey66 View Post
    I was born/bred in Gilmerton late 60's/70's and the whole area was mostly Hibs when I grew up (Turnbulls Ttornados).
    I was a kid there in the 80s, was Jambo central. Wierd, eh?

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    I was brought up in Kingsknowe/Longstone. Although there were a good few Hibees, we were largely outnumbered by merricks.
    My old man is from Longstone and came from a Hearts family. I believe he was forced to watch hearts every other week but his pal from primary school was a big hibby so started tagging along with him and his dad to E.R. Its the single best decision he made in life to commit to Hibs and saved me from becoming one of them.
    The thought that I COULD have been brings me out in a stress related rash.

I grew up just off London Road and unsurprisingly it was mainly a Hibs area - certainly Parsons Green Primary was!

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    I was a kid there in the 80s, was Jambo central. Wierd, eh?
    I think as an area, its predominantly hibs and also a lot of Celtic fans (think the Waverley runs two celtic busses).

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by TelaStella View Post
    I'm Niddrie/Craigmillar and it's a total hibs zone. You'll find more jambs in leith!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Is the Craigmillar Hearts still there? Nominally a Jambos club in my youth it was really just a local social club, and a good one at that.

Grew up and went to school in Currie. Vast majority were Jambos (some Huns)

Grew up in Sighthill and still there, plenty of us hibbies up here
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

Quote Originally Posted by LancsHibs View Post
    Surprised by this as it’s so close to Niddrie & Gilmerton. Any reason for this anomaly?
    It's not full of Hearts fans, I just think there's more here than there are in other pets of Edinburgh. They've got a supporters bus that leaves from the pub in Danderhall.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldy Foghorn View Post
    Grew up in Sighthill and still there, plenty of us hibbies up here
    I spent a while at the Calders and in the mob we hung around with there were 6 or 7 Hibbies and 2 Jambos. Otherwise it was pretty evenly spread late 70's. Wester Hailes on the other hand was a nest of Yams.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    I grew up in Newhaven and at Victoria primary it was about 70:30 Hibs fans but when my grandad was growing up there he said it was all Hearts and the Hibs fans were more along in Leith proper.

I was sent to Porty High from Craigmillar Primary in 1967 and the place was jumping with Jambos, the exceptions being guys from Magdalene and Bingham. In 1969, we moved to Clermiston and, again, it was mainly Jambos. My dad did his research, however, and sent me to Ainslie Park, where a Jambo was a rare thing indeed!! In terms of Clery, incidentally, there are many more Hibbies there now and the place seems a lot more sane now.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Milne View Post
    I was sent to Porty High from Craigmillar Primary in 1967 and the place was jumping with Jambos, the exceptions being guys from Magdalene and Bingham. In 1969, we moved to Clermiston and, again, it was mainly Jambos. My dad did his research, however, and sent me to Ainslie Park, where a Jambo was a rare thing indeed!! In terms of Clery, incidentally, there are many more Hibbies there now and the place seems a lot more sane now.
    Pretty much how I remember it five years later, Magdalene had a few Jambos but they were outnumbered alright. You are spot on about Ainslie Park according to my Missus who went there and is a Hibby.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    My uncle has lived in Balerno for decades but he's a Hibby, you can take the boy out of Lochend but.....................

I do agree re the bias around there though. Few huns as well.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Quote Originally Posted by LancsHibs View Post
    The lodge was strong in former mining areas

@hibs.net private member MrSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spikey66 View Post
    Gracemount for me (born 67) more 60-40 split in favour of Hearts but always felt the surrounding schemes overall, were slightly more hearts. Remember Dead on Arrival at the Gordon’s?