hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Nice Strip

2. Log in to remove the advert

Plymouth have used those colours since they were introduced by ex-Goalie Willie Harper.

http://www.hibshistoricaltrust.org.u.../willie-harper

@hibs.net private member
    Leanne mentioned just after/before Christmas that she has already approved next season’s kit over in Italy at Macron HQ. Doubt we will get to see them til the end of the season and they’ve shifted as much of this season’s stick as poss.

These are nice though... always liked Plymouth’s kits as inspiration for ours.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Plymouth have used those colours since they were introduced by ex-Goalie Willie Harper.

http://www.hibshistoricaltrust.org.u.../willie-harper
    Edinburgh Emmett ? Were they named after the Rebel leader Robert Emmett who was held in high such esteem in Irish houselods that he was a near saint.

Quote Originally Posted by southsider View Post
    Edinburgh Emmett ? Were they named after the Rebel leader Robert Emmett who was held in high such esteem in Irish houselods that he was a near saint.
    Indeed, they played at a ground at the foot of New Street off the High Street.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by southsider View Post
    If you can get near a copy of Alan Lugton's 'Making of Hibernian' Vol 1, you'll find a list of dozens of clubs that grew out of our inspiration, Edinburgh Emmet amongst them. .They were a nursery club to Hibs under the auspice of the CYMS.... There are lots of Hibs' Celtics', Harps, Shamrocks and Emeralds from all over Scotland to be found ....including Larkhall Hibernian and Govan Emerald.

Hibs in their early years helped start the Scottish Catholic Association Cup which these sides competed for.

The trilogy of books is something no Hibby should be without. Unsparingly researched and hugely informative.

Not much to do with Plymouth though, brilliant kit as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    If you can get near a copy of Alan Lugton's 'Making of Hibernian' Vol 1, you'll find a list of dozens of clubs that grew out of our inspiration, Edinburgh Emmet amongst them. .They were a nursery club to Hibs under the auspice of the CYMS.... There are lots of Hibs' Celtics', Harps, Shamrocks and Emeralds from all over Scotland to be found ....including Larkhall Hibernian and Govan Emerald.

Hibs in their early years helped start the Scottish Catholic Association Cup which these sides competed for.

The trilogy of books is something no Hibby should be without. Unsparingly researched and hugely informative.

Not much to do with Plymouth though, brilliant kit as it is.
    I second that, the Lugton books are The Holy Bible and will never be bettered. I was brought up on 100 years of Hibs and re read it 100 times but Lugton blew it out of the water. I remember when I finished reading them and thinking all Celtic fans need to read this, all Scottish football fans need to read this, all Scots need to read this. It is a social commentary of the Irish diaspora, where they came from, where they settled and how they shaped Scotland both in a sporting context and as an, eventually, assimilated people.

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fat freddy View Post
    I second that, the Lugton books are The Holy Bible and will never be bettered. I was brought up on 100 years of Hibs and re read it 100 times but Lugton blew it out of the water. I remember when I finished reading them and thinking all Celtic fans need to read this, all Scottish football fans need to read this, all Scots need to read this. It is a social commentary of the Irish diaspora, where they came from, where they settled and how they shaped Scotland both in a sporting context and as an, eventually, assimilated people.
    One of my wife’s friends was a Celtic fan from Glasgow, I gave her volume 1 to read and she was in tears and ashamed at how Celtic treated us.

This popped up on twitter yesterday.

Seems apt to post it here. Celtic fan totally pwned.

https://foot.ie/threads/11886-Hibern...-Irish-History

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    This popped up on twitter yesterday.

Seems apt to post it here. Celtic fan totally pwned.

https://foot.ie/threads/11886-Hibern...-Irish-History
    Great read thanks :-)