hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Aberdeen & the Race for 3rd Place

I haven't seen this being talked about much anywhere on here recently. Not wanting to tempt fate, but if we beat Hearts on Friday night then we are 1 point behind Aberdeen in third, with them travelling to Thistle the next day and having one eye on their cup replay with Killie a few days after.

Given that we can't say for definite that fourth will guarantee Europe (at least until we know who has won the Scottish Cup), should we not as a fanbase and a club as a whole be trying to drum up enthusiasm to hunt down Aberdeen and overtake them before the season's out?

Obviously it falls largely down to the squad and the management staff, but Hibs could be marketing tickets for our last few home games as us looking to finish in the top three of Scotland for first time since 2005. It just strikes me as a little strange that more isn't being made of this big opportunity for us to seal Europe and lay down a real marker on Aberdeen and the other non OF teams.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HFCEighteen75 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I haven't seen this being talked about much anywhere on here recently. Not wanting to tempt fate, but if we beat Hearts on Friday night then we are 1 point behind Aberdeen in third, with them travelling to Thistle the next day and having one eye on their cup replay with Killie a few days after.

Given that we can't say for definite that fourth will guarantee Europe (at least until we know who has won the Scottish Cup), should we not as a fanbase and a club as a whole be trying to drum up enthusiasm to hunt down Aberdeen and overtake them before the season's out?

Obviously it falls largely down to the squad and the management staff, but Hibs could be marketing tickets for our last few home games as us looking to finish in the top three of Scotland for first time since 2005. It just strikes me as a little strange that more isn't being made of this big opportunity for us to seal Europe and lay down a real marker on Aberdeen and the other non OF teams.
    Did you watch Lennon's interview? He says that's exactly what we're trying to do.

Tickets are selling themselves already and if we win on Friday, all the remaining games will be either sell outs or very close to it.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Not quite sure what you're getting at here - I'm pretty certain nobody at the club is even remotely thinking "let's settle for fourth".
    I've seen no evidence suggesting such a plan.

Pretty certain that the entire fanbase, the manager and the players is all intent on trying to get past Aberdeen.
    I'd go further and suggest we haven't given up on hunting down Sevco too....
    Win our game in hand, beat them in the Top 6 fixture and it's only 4 points separate us - 5 if you include a GD we're not pulling back.

Certainly not going to be easy but I'm pretty sure it's what we're trying to do.

How can we market tickets for our last few home games when we don't know who we will be playing?

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    How can we market tickets for our last few home games when we don't know who we will be playing?
    Same for everyone unfortunately

Sorry if that came across as a pop at the club or the fans, I'm genuinely more curious than critical

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    If we get a decent set of results between now and the daft split, I dont think you will need to be marketing anything, as the stadium will be a sellout or as near a sellout as possible for every home match we have.

Pretty sure everyone is keeping their powder dry on this one, but I am quietly confident we can give Aberdeen a good run for their money, especially if we get points on the board on Friday - Rangers? Lets see what happens after their match v Celtic this weekend.

We need to win on Friday night, and hope Celtic do us a turn on Sunday, to get the ball rolling
    Aberdeen have a tricky game away at Partick on Saturday

@hibs.net private member

I think that's a given amongst our support HFCE ......I don't think we need the marketing department to drum up enthusiasm....IMHO its there in bucket loads already unless I'm missing something....we sell out our home allocation for almost every game now. My bugbear is all of the empty seats especially in the Famous Five lower and why holders don't release their seats. In saying that...they wont be empty for this game. I don't know how you deal with it but hopefully we'll get people on these priviledged seats one day. GGTTH

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    We need to win on Friday night, and hope Celtic do us a turn on Sunday, to get the ball rolling
    Tbf that’s probably about the least tricky away fame they will have.

Aberdeen will probably win on Saturday so it’s important we hang on their coat tails so when they do have a more difficult fixture we are ready to pounce.

I’ve no idea what their recent results have been like but there seems to be a bit of a negative vibe coming from them just now. I don’t know what their fixtures coming up are like but with our fixtures we must have a great chance of overtaking them.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post

Aberdeen will probably win on Saturday so it’s important we hang on their coat tails so when they do have a more difficult fixture we are ready to pounce.

I’ve no idea what their recent results have been like but there seems to be a bit of a negative vibe coming from them just now. I don’t know what their fixtures coming up are like but with our fixtures we must have a great chance of overtaking them.
    We will need to perform against them after the split Bingo which I'm sure we will. That will be the key game but lots of games to be played before then

Pre split they have in order
    Away to Partick
    Home to Dundee
    Home to St Johnstone
    Away to Hearts
    Away to Motherwell TBC, was cancelled last week

Also got a cup replay as well to fit in

Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Win on Friday, then think about where that takes us.

Do our speculating after, not before.

'Natural Order' article posted prominently on the dressing room door, please.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Away to Partick
    Home to Dundee
    Home to St Johnstone
    Away to Hearts

That is about as good as ours (Ross co for Motherwell is the only difference actually?).

We just need to focus on winning our games, one at a time starting Friday.
    Mon the Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    That is about as good as ours (Ross co for Motherwell is the only difference actually?).

We get to play hearts on a football pitch while they need to go to the pigsty.

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post

We also have Hamilton as opposed to Dundee.

We have Hearts, St Johnstone and Partick Thistle though.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Away to Partick
    Home to Dundee
    Home to St Johnstone
    Away to Hearts

The Dons are good at picking up league points. It’s the big games they bottle.

Just gotta keep our form going into the top 6.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    our after split games should be

sellick H
    sevco H
    killie (IF it's them) H
    hertz A
    aberdeen A

if murrawell instead of killie they could possibly be our x3 at home to keep the 19 and 19
    if it's st.johnstone, we could play them away x3

* i think :)

Aberdeen have won 9 of their last 10 games at firhill....maybe not so tricky

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    our after split games should be

sellick H
    sevco H
    killie (IF it's them) H
    hertz A
    aberdeen A

if murrawell instead of killie they could possibly be our x3 at home to keep the 19 and 19
    if it's st.johnstone, we could play them away x3

* i think :)
    I don’t think it’s a certainty Hearts will make top 6.

Left by mutual consent!
    I think it's all about keeping within distance to strike once they dons it again against Rangers and Celtic after the split.

Quote Originally Posted by IGRIGI View Post
    I think it's all about keeping within distance to strike once they dons it again against Rangers and Celtic after the split.
    Agreed...but I'm not yet giving up on second place.

Spoke to a Partick Season Ticket Holder last night He is concerned they could go down Thinks they have no chance v Aberdeen
    But Weather could be a factor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure what you want the club to do?? If you watched Lennons latest interview that is exactly what we are targeting?? Short of taking a full page advert in EEN what are you expecting mate?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

fair point, killie have a great chance to go above them tonight v st.johnstone @killie pie park

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Unfortunately, looking at the teams around them I think it’s pretty much nailed on that they’ll sneak in

Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    fair point, killie have a great chance to go above them tonight v st.johnstone @killie pie park
    That game's tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    That game's tomorrow.

just checked BBC site for score update, still 0-0

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by My_Wife_Camille View Post
    Unfortunately, looking at the teams around them I think it’s pretty much nailed on that they’ll sneak in
    They will probably sneak in knowing them but nailed on it’s not.

Killie 2 points behind with 2 games in hand

Motherwell 5 points behind 1 game in hand

In fact if we beat them on Friday and both Killie (home to Ross Co) and Well (away to Hamilton) win then they will be 6th only 2 points in front of Well who will have that game in hand...

Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    They will probably sneak in knowing them but nailed on it’s not.

Killie 2 points behind with 2 games in hand

Motherwell 5 points behind 1 game in hand

In fact if we beat them on Friday and both Killie (home to Ross Co) and Well (away to Hamilton) win then they will be 6th only 2 points in front of Well who will have that game in hand...

Motherwell are only 4 behind with a game in hand. Not that I'm taking a keen interest..... so in your scenario they would be 1 behind with a game in hand and killie in front.

Anyway.... none of that matters if we don't do the business on Friday