hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: best hibs goal

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Perhaps one of my best nights ever at Easter Road despite the result. And De La Cruz, what a cracking player he was.
    Atmosphere was something else, 17 odd thousand singing DJ Otzi Hey Baby at half time with chants of USA USA towards the AEK fans.

Celebrations with Luna's 2nd goal were something else too, I was about 12 and that was my first experience of going arse over tit during celebrations, nerve wracking to say the least

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    That’s right, I was gutted when he left us.
    GJP's fault. Had to sign 5 players to find a good one. Would love to see Lennon with a similar budget.

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    I say the same every time this comes up, hopefully one will better it soon. Ralph Callaghan's Archie Gemmillesk effort.
    Agree,the best Hibs goal that I have ever seen, incredible skill from Ralph

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by IGRIGI View Post
    Zitelli vs AEK Athens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz2FkQlAkdk 3 mins 37 in.
    In the away leg it was scary. Game was meant to be played next day to 9/11. Was cancelled. Returned to Athens when it was played. Was brutal.. eAK fans had a big Muslim support and set fire to American flags and bombarded us with all sort of fireworks, rocks and other stuff for 90 minutes. Cops did nothing.

90+2 sir David of Gray

@hibs.net private member SouthMoroccoStu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Remember a Kano overhead kick against Hearts. Absolute raker. Ref disallowed it for dangerous play when there was no danger to anyone bar Kano himself.
    Or the crowd from the earthquake he caused

These threads are tremendous. Such apparently memorable goals, yet people can't even recall them properly. Or imagine they took place in a completely different game, or even stadium.

Keith scoring in the cup final 91. When he went through on goal there was only one outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by RicheyWhite View Post
    These threads are tremendous. Such apparently memorable goals, yet people can't even recall them properly. Or imagine they took place in a completely different game, or even stadium.
    Agree you tube given ability watch over and over which replaces your memory if seen live. At a game u get one angle one moment to take in

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
    Keith scoring in the cup final 91. When he went through on goal there was only one outcome.
    Keith in the Semi is more iconic.

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    GJP's fault. Had to sign 5 players to find a good one. Would love to see Lennon with a similar budget.
    Aye the revolving door transfer policy.

He signed some rubbish players usually on low wages so that they could be dumped after one or two matches. Klaus Dietrich made one appearance only to be subbed and was never seen again.

He did sign a lot of quality players. Franck Sauzee, Russell Latapy, Mixu Paateleinen, John O'Neil, Grant Brebner, David Zitelli, Paco Luna, etc., etc.

Having said that Mowbray and Lennon have achieved comparable results on much lower budgets.

after reading through everyone's opinions ,it's hard to argue with any of them ...i also remember as a young lad pat McGinley scoring an overhead kick against Motherwell.
    May be wrong. can anyone else remember this ?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by 21sMay View Post
    after reading through everyone's opinions ,it's hard to argue with any of them ...i also remember as a young lad pat McGinley scoring an overhead kick against Motherwell.
    May be wrong. can anyone else remember this ?
    No to be honest but it just reminded me of the best goal I’ve ever seen. Zitelli, Sunday night bonfire night in Dundee last minute we won 2-1 .Next again week a bullet in Motherwell Sunday night too. I was fortunate to be at both games.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sauzee16 View Post
    Keith in the Semi is more iconic.
    For me the iconic 1991 goal when I was there was the weekend before that semi - away at Pittodrie. I got there late and we were already a goal down. Then, not long after half time Mickey Weir scored a superb Gemmil-esque goal - winding by a couple of defenders before committing and chipping the keeper superbly to secure the draw. I came away knowing that Weir - a very influential player for Hibs at the time - was on fire and immediately put a tenner on Hibs to win the League Cup, knowing that we had Rangers in the Semi that midweek.

I watched the semi that midweek in a pub down in London and it was that very man Weir who delivered the ball plum onto Keith's head for him to plant it past a despairing Goram's grasp - to send me into a dance of ecstacy round an otherwise empty North London boozer. And a couple of months later Weir was on hand to lay it on for Keith again for the opener in the final - as well as "winning" the penalty to seal it ;)

The goal from Keith in the Semi would be up there for me - but ah wisnae there - watched it on the telly! So Mickey Weir's goal the weekend before is my 1991 entry!

Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post
    For me the iconic 1991 goal when I was there was the weekend before that semi - away at Pittodrie. I got there late and we were already a goal down. Then, not long after half time Mickey Weir scored a superb Gemmil-esque goal - winding by a couple of defenders before committing and chipping the keeper superbly to secure the draw. I came away knowing that Weir - a very influential player for Hibs at the time - was on fire and immediately put a tenner on Hibs to win the League Cup, knowing that we had Rangers in the Semi that midweek.

I watched the semi that midweek in a pub down in London and it was that very man Weir who delivered the ball plum onto Keith's head for him to plant it past a despairing Goram's grasp - to send me into a dance of ecstacy round an otherwise empty North London boozer. And a couple of months later Weir was on hand to lay it on for Keith again for the opener in the final - as well as "winning" the penalty to seal it ;)

The goal from Keith in the Semi would be up there for me - but ah wisnae there - watched it on the telly! So Mickey Weir's goal the weekend before is my 1991 entry!
    You got the goals the wrong way round in the final - the penalty was the opener and Wright sealed it. Regarding that game, I bumped into David Moyes in a restaurant in Glasgow a couple of weeks ago. While I was getting an autograph for my mate’s wee boy, I really wanted to bring up that match (which he, of course, played in). He was with family though, so I opted for the quicker “please don’t sign McGinn”...he chuckled. In retrospect, I’d rather he went there than Celtic!

My favourite Hibs goal btw - for sheer quality O’Neill against Motherwell in 1994, what a volley! The reaction of awe from the crowd...happy days! Great game that day too, a cracking 2-2 draw.

Quote Originally Posted by SideBurns View Post
    Ancient Hibee - you've lived a full and marvellous life at Easter Road. Must be magic...

Still is magic.Plenty downers-as you get older these are more difficult to remember

More goals-Jim Scott's winner at Dunfermline to win 6-5. Free kick by Allan McGraw when ball still moving at halfway,stuttering run from Scott,stabs ball at goalie,bounces back ,hits Scott a couple of times and goes in.

Stevenson and O'Rourke -two each in he first 15 minutes at Tynecastle

Neil Martin's hattrick at Parkhead in the first game there after Stein left and Martin's "friendly wave" to Stein in the Celtic dugout after the third.

But nothing beats the obvious goal.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by IGRIGI View Post
    Zitelli vs AEK Athens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz2FkQlAkdk 3 mins 37 in.

Beautiful goal and a beautiful guy.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    I say the same every time this comes up, hopefully one will better it soon. Ralph Callaghan's Archie Gemmillesk effort.
    Ralph's wonder goal v Dundee is still the best goal I've seen at ER or anywhere else for that matter.
    It's criminal that there were no TV cameras present to record it for posterity.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Seen a number of spectacular goals. Boyle's vs Livvy in the Championship springs to mind. However, the season after we were relegated in 79/80 I remember being in the cave end, on seats, in an uninspiring game 1-1 versus Airdrie. Sandy Clark scored their goal and we overplayed everything. I was a tourist that season and managed about three games including the season ender vs Raith.

The only time in the game we seemed to remember to simplify and make the ball do the work, the ball was passed to from the goalie to the CH, who moved it on to the middle who then played a through ball to Flavell who put the ball past the goalie. So f***in simple it was a joy to watch - especially from behind. Quiz Ball Route Four writ large.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by southsider View Post
    In the away leg it was scary. Game was meant to be played next day to 9/11. Was cancelled. Returned to Athens when it was played. Was brutal.. eAK fans had a big Muslim support and set fire to American flags and bombarded us with all sort of fireworks, rocks and other stuff for 90 minutes. Cops did nothing.
    It was fantastic fun that night, we were in the plaka and got a taxi to the game. We were dropped off and it was all AEK fans, we couldn’t hide who we were supporting. Chests puffed out and sang Hibs songs Loud and proud all the way to our entrance. Inside the ground was mental, all sorts of things thrown at us. I am sure it was myself that started the USA chant. We had to get back to our hotel after the game and as there were only a small group of us we stuck together. Their fans tried to intimidate us a few times but we survived. Just.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbybrian View Post
    I don’t think Brian is with us anymore but that cutting has a brilliantly understated account of Ralph’s goal.

Left by mutual consent!
    Griffiths at Tynie.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sauzee16 View Post
    No to be honest but it just reminded me of the best goal I’ve ever seen. Zitelli, Sunday night bonfire night in Dundee last minute we won 2-1 .Next again week a bullet in Motherwell Sunday night too. I was fortunate to be at both games.
    Good calls to be fair and was there at both too. He scored a ****er against Athens too right at the end that people forget.

Lataz 6-2

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    I don’t think Brian is with us anymore but that cutting has a brilliantly understated account of Ralph’s goal.
    Understated for sure. How news reporting has changed over the years

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Sadly tis the case. Great Hibby worked in his office as a
    Student and he was in the thick of it since the day the takeover was announced I waited to leave work when I could, I think he was straight down there. RIP Brian.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by southsider View Post
    But the best of it was they made us empty all small change & lighters into a big bucket never to be seen again. I walked in wearing a PANATHANIKOS strip, only to be met with throat slitting gestures when I entered the ground. Oh ya Fu2k3r.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    “The goalkeeper” didn’t even get a name-check. Was right in line with that with my Godson - belter - dunno of that got him into footie but if not was part of it.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.