hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

One for the "oldies"

Memories of the top terracing? My whole family and extended family used to meet there, and stand in the middle where we could see the team emerge...stays with me till this day. bought seasons for my oldest and me on the east right under the tv gantry so we could see the team emerging. So much pride in it.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Ah, the old and vast East terrace.
    I too stood there with my dad and uncles on many a freezing Saturday afternoon - usually in the north east corner, close to the exit stairs.
    It's amazing how being packed together like Penguins helped generate that wee bit of warmth.
    Being so young I was denied a swig from the dubious wee metal bottle one or two of my uncles carried.
    Though, there was an occasion when one kind uncle brought a flask of hot tomato soup - just what the doctor ordered.
    Wonderful memories.

I generally stood with my mates near the front in line with the 'bottom' penalty box beside a gangway.

The only time I definitely remember standing on the top tier of the East was the Leeds United game as I couldn't get to ER in time to get to my usual spot. It was soooo exposed up there! Was a bit safer standing there on Old Firm days right enough.

Two thirds of the way up was for the real football nuts.

Could see the moves unfolding before the players could!!

Standing further down meant you were disturbed at half time by the fans swop of ends.

Bracing is the euphimistic word that most comes to mind for the conditions. Now describes as Baltic.

Quote Originally Posted by Famous Fiver View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Two thirds of the way up was for the real football nuts.

Could see the moves unfolding before the players could!!

Standing further down meant you were disturbed at half time by the fans swop of ends.

Bracing is the euphimistic word that most comes to mind for the conditions. Now describes as Baltic.
    Sitting on the wall at the half way line with my dad,uncle and Grandad happy days

It could be quite bleak up there so it's just as well there was plenty of booze about, either the half-bottle or the four-pack smuggled in. I remember once turning to see a man in a raincoat curled up asleep on the terrace. He was alive but very tired.

You got a superb view of the Forth and surroundings from up there. And the pitch too.

Quote Originally Posted by malcky View Post
    Sitting on the wall at the half way line with my dad,uncle and Grandad happy days
    Got my picture in “shoot” and a wee ginger guy sitting next to me on the wall was. ?

@hibs.net private member
    That walk up the steps heading up to the top of the terracing felt like a magic carpet ride as a kid..those night games with the floodlights on and the smell of liniment in the air....then you reach the top to see the team warming up, what football dreams were made of...loved it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Right up the top under the tv cameras, when they were there, to do an "Argentina"

Remember wanting one of the miners helmets with the players names painted on them that hard core supporters wore at the time. Very cool to an impressionable 10 year old.

Under the gantry from 1979 ish until the FF was built ish

Quote Originally Posted by happyhibbie View Post
    Under the gantry from 1979 ish until the FF was built ish
    Part of that gantry released itself and landed on my big toe... it bloody well disfigured it for life. the toe that is, not the gantry

Left by mutual consent!
    Our Dad took us to the North Stand for every game. The only time iirc we were taken across to Shaw's Height's was iirc a game involving the two Norwegians Isak Refvik and Svien Mathisen which again iirc it may have been the match against IFK Norrkoping in 78/79. I was only around 8 year old so I may be wrong but its to the best of my memory. It was like being among the Gods up there.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HeidTheBaw View Post
    Part of that gantry released itself and landed on my big toe... it bloody well disfigured it for life. the toe that is, not the gantry
    Ouch !! I almost lost my nads whilst climbing the gantry to tie a flag to it 😖

Quote Originally Posted by WoreTheGreen View Post
    Got my picture in “shoot” and a wee ginger guy sitting next to me on the wall was. ?
    Prince Harry or Gordon Strachan

Quote Originally Posted by happyhibbie View Post
    Ouch !! I almost lost my nads whilst climbing the gantry to tie a flag to it 😖
    I kinda feel blessed now...could have been worse then I guess ;)......some bammers in there back in the day, I even chased my big Bro' of the terracing for constantly abusing Michael O'Neill.... too his credit O'Neill gave him a mouthful back while over the east side taking a throw in.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    Prince Harry or Gordon Strachan
    Gs cheers

Going to see the monkey in Dofos pet shop before the match. Lifted over at the turnstile. Always stood on the East Terracing, in the middle so we didn’t have to change ends at half-time and half way up, so I didn’t get hit with anything thrown from above. This was an occasional hazard as there was no restriction on cans and bottles being brought in, most obvious after the New Year’s Day matches when the terraces were awash with empty beer cans and bottles. My Dad always stayed until the terraces were cleared before we left, with good reason as I remember we once left with everyone else and I was picked up heading down the stairs and carried down with the crowd. Also remember the crush over the Bothwell Street Bridge and up to the top of Easter Road after the match. Happy days!

[. Also remember the crush over the Bothwell Street Bridge

I remember going over that bridge after leeds game in 1967 and my feet never touched the ground

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Oldies? I remember the top terracing and I'M IN MY PRIME!

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day View Post
    [. Also remember the crush over the Bothwell Street Bridge

I remember going over that bridge after leeds game in 1967 and my feet never touched the ground

[/QUOTE]My big brother had his collar broken in a crush on the bridge after a Hibs Celtic game in the early 70s. My Dad then refused to take me to ER until I was "big" so at 12 years old I was a relatively late starter.

I always mind as a lad the terracing littered with rusty beer tin openers. This was back in the dark ages before ring pulls!

@hibs.net private member
    When was the upper tier removed/fans no longer able to stand there.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    1983ish. The terracing was reduced by Kenny Waugh in order to put the roof on.

Cracking times standing in the old, covered East (or just "the terracing" as it was known)

My big brother had his collar broken in a crush on the bridge after a Hibs Celtic game in the early 70s. My Dad then refused to take me to ER until I was "big" so at 12 years old I was a relatively late starter.[/QUOTE]

Was a scary experience

@hibs.net private member surreyhibbie's Avatar
    First game I ever attended was a friendly against Newcastle United. Stood at the top of the terrace and was amazed at the size of the place, and the crowd.

Fell in love with the team immediately.

Later when I was a bit older I stood further down, at the north east corner in line with the penalty spot about two thirds of the way up.

Have plenty of memories of incidents and goals from there.

Happy days.
    Alcohol IS the answer, but I forget the question...

Green Pally Ally tins.......all the half-times and racing results...........

First ever Hibs game in 1978, my dad took me to the terracing - to a 7 year old, it felt like I'd conquered Everest. Hibs ran out in that magic yellow & green Bukta strip, Tony Higgins scored a wonder goal to beat St.Mirren 1-0. Still sends a shiver down my spine when I think about that day.

@hibs.net private member
    My first vantage point as a kid in the early/mid 50s at ER was the upper section of the East terracing. It afforded a tremendous view. Fond memories of some big games up there, particularly the defeat of Barcelona - what a night!
    Can remember when the massive flight of stairs were built giving direct access to the very top of the terracing, not sure which year that would've been.

I recall no segregation, lots of scuffles and some real fighting with bottles thrown. Happy days