hibs.net Messageboard

Page 91 of 115 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,730 of 3436
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I forgot he/she said they drove the bypass each way 2x a week so they should witness/be involved in 20% of accidents a year rather than the 40% I said initially.

The suggestion that they are able to drive safely at an average of 70mph on bypass however doesn't stand up to scrutiny by my, and others experience. 😉
    Struggling to see your logic here. Thousands of people drive along the bypass 5x a week so they can't all be involved in 20%,40% or whatever % you suggest

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    I forgot he/she said they drove the bypass each way 2x a week so they should witness/be involved in 20% of accidents a year rather than the 40% I said initially.

The suggestion that they are able to drive safely at an average of 70mph on bypass however doesn't stand up to scrutiny by my, and others experience. 😉
    Okay, I think I understand it even less now.

FWIW I drove the length of the bypass yesterday and barely dipped below 70. It was busy enough, but thankfully there were no maniacs doing 40/45 so anyone requiring the fast lane was doing a decent speed.

Contrast that with Friday afternoon however where the first third of the bypass was severely limited to crawling at about 5 mph! LaMotta must have been out somewhere causing one of his accidents.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    I drive down the bypass every Monday and will hit 70mph regularly between Dreghorn and Gilmerton junction, I don't know what percentage of accidents I'll cause but I an driving at the speed limit of the road.
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Your 1st paragraph like a few of your other posts on this thread make no sense at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by SChibs View Post
    Struggling to see your logic here. Thousands of people drive along the bypass 5x a week so they can't all be involved in 20%,40% or whatever % you suggest
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    Okay, I think I understand it even less now.

FWIW I drove the length of the bypass yesterday and barely dipped below 70. It was busy enough, but thankfully there were no maniacs doing 40/45 so anyone requiring the fast lane was doing a decent speed.

Contrast that with Friday afternoon however where the first third of the bypass was severely limited to crawling at about 5 mph! LaMotta must have been out somewhere causing one of his accidents.
    Thank god for some sensible posts

Exciting news is I was able to comfortably drive at 70 this morning going east along the bypass between Calder and Straiton at 8.30 and then was also able to do 70 coming back along it.

Didnt even see or get involved in any accidents, which is quite amazing eh

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post

Phew! Clearly no-one driving at 40 then!

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Thank god for some sensible posts

Exciting news is I was able to comfortably drive at 70 this morning going east along the bypass between Calder and Straiton at 8.30 and then was also able to do 70 coming back along it.

Are you 100% sure you were doing 70? The traffic was crawling up Baberton at 40-50 around that time.
    Do you drive with blue lights on per chance?

@hibs.net private member bringbackbenny's Avatar
    on the speed matter but related to the recent fuel increases. Is anyone else driving more conservatively to get a better mpg?

I generally was looking where able to cruise at min 70mph on duals, motorways etc. I've now dropped a bit and, where appropriate, not bothering and sticking with slower traffic in the inside lane e.g lorries etc at 55-60 mph and the difference is very noticeable - easy 10 mpg better.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bringbackbenny View Post
    on the speed matter but related to the recent fuel increases. Is anyone else driving more conservatively to get a better mpg?

I generally was looking where able to cruise at min 70mph on duals, motorways etc. I've now dropped a bit and, where appropriate, not bothering and sticking with slower traffic in the inside lane e.g lorries etc at 55-60 mph and the difference is very noticeable - easy 10 mpg better.
    I drive up to Livingston on the Lang Wang every day and days where Ive left in plenty time or are behind a lorry I can hit 60+ MPG. It's a good 10 more than a clear road would give me.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    If you drive at 45 instead of 70, then you will save a lot on fuel costs. Mind you you might get lynched for doing so.
    I'll also be late.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    It’s over £8 a gallon now ..if you get 50 MPG. That’s saving you around 30 quid a week …almost £1500 quid a year …(taking in the account holidays etc)
    And thats just diesel. I had to get 4 new tyres and brake pads last week at a cost of £750.

Sir Alex Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by Just Alf View Post
    Phew! Clearly no-one driving at 40 then!

Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    Are you 100% sure you were doing 70? The traffic was crawling up Baberton at 40-50 around that time.
    Do you drive with blue lights on per chance?
    Yes I'm 100% sure, I have eyes and can read a speedometer and I'm not prone to inventing things for the sake of an internet forum thread.

It's almost always fine once you get past Baberton and particularly so post Covid when commuting traffic has never returned to pre Covid levels. The funny thing is I knew someone would question it, but luckily I instructed my daughter to take a picture of the speedometer as evidence ( yes I am that sad .) Although unfortunately I dont think its possible to add photo attachments in the dug out. Feel free to DM for proof!

This place is mad at times.
    Last edited by LaMotta; 20-06-2022 at 01:27 PM.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Yes I'm 100% sure, I have eyes and can read a speedometer and I'm not prone to inventing things for the sake of an internet forum thread.

It's almost always fine once you get past Baberton and particularly so post Covid when commuting traffic has never returned to pre Covid levels. The funny thing is I knew someone would question it, but luckily I instructed my daughter to take a picture of the speedometer as evidence ( yes I am that sad .) Although unfortunately I dont think its possible to add photo attachments in the dug out. Feel free to DM for proof!

Incredible commitment.
    Mon the Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post

Incredible commitment.
    She took a quite impressive photo for a 7 year old managing to angle it perfectly from the back seat so you can clearly see both the digital and non digital marker indicating precisely 70 mph.

Although when she asked me why she had to do this I had a bit of trouble explaining.
    Last edited by LaMotta; 20-06-2022 at 01:54 PM.

Oh and by the way Speedy Gonzalez - surely a change of username is in order?!

Fair enough, I got caught up in the slower traffic from Calder to Baberton heading East this morning, probably around 0840, it's like that virtually every week day. There's no way I could have done 70 if I wanted to (I'm restricted to 60, being in a van).
    You've obviously been very fortunate.

Oh and by the way Speedy Gonzalez - surely a change of username is in order?!
    For why???

Fair enough, I got caught up in the slower traffic from Calder to Baberton heading East this morning, probably around 0840, it's like that virtually every week day. There's no way I could have done 70 if I wanted to (I'm restricted to 60, being in a van).
    You've obviously been very fortunate.
    I wasn't going 70 between Calder and Baberton, I understand that section is slower in the morning so understand your frustation there. My point ( in response to people saying it wasn't possible) was that you can easily and usually reach 70 if you drive along the bypass.

For why???
    Sorry mate poor attempt at humour:

I wasn't going 70 between Calder and Baberton, I understand that section is slower in the morning so understand your frustation there. My point ( in response to people saying it wasn't possible) was that you can easily and usually reach 70 if you drive along the bypass.
    I struggle to hit 64 on the bypass at any time, but my van is limited at 63mph

If your Speedo says 70 you'll probably be closer to 60.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    ****ing slow coach, he needs to get off the road to allow real drivers using a more accurate means of measuring speed crack on.

I doubt there are many cars speedos that over read quite that much. For my make/model it averages about 2mph over reading at 70 on the clock - so I think I'd be doing closer to 68. There were cars going faster than me as well TBF.

****ing slow coach, he needs to get off the road to allow real drivers using a more accurate means of measuring speed crack on.
    Why don't you just admit you are wrong? It might be quite liberating for you.

If you had a solid argument up your sleeve at any point you wouldn't be resorting to ridiculous childish posts like that one.
    Last edited by LaMotta; 20-06-2022 at 08:00 PM.

I doubt there are many cars speedos that over read quite that much. For my make/model it averages about 2mph over reading at 70 on the clock - so I think I'd be doing closer to 68. There were cars going faster than me as well TBF.
    Every car or van I've driven since I got GPS had been closer to 60 when Speedo says 70, you're pushing towards 80 on the Speedo to be going 70mph.

Why don't you just admit you are wrong? It might be quite liberating for you.

If you had a solid argument up your sleeve at any point you wouldn't be resorting to ridiculous childish posts like that one.
    I'm not wrong though, we have maximum speed limits where hundreds of thousands of drivers receive fines for breaching them every year, how many drivers get fined for travelling too slow? If it was such a problem like you suggest then the technology for catching speeding drivers could easily be adapted to catch those driving too slow. If you have problems adapting to vehicles travelling a different speeds, then maybe you should hand in your licence.

Every car or van I've driven since I got GPS had been closer to 60 when Speedo says 70, you're pushing towards 80 on the Speedo to be going 70mph.
    Not the case for my car - you should be fine to go at 80 in a car then according to your speedo!

I'm not wrong though, we have maximum speed limits where hundreds of thousands of drivers receive fines for breaching them every year, how many drivers get fined for travelling too slow? If it was such a problem like you suggest then the technology for catching speeding drivers could easily be adapted to catch those driving too slow. If you have problems adapting to vehicles travelling a different speeds, then maybe you should hand in your licence.

Please stop going on about people going too fast - for the umpteenth time, it is a completely separate argument, and no-one is disagreeing on that front. I don't have problems adapting to people travelling at different speeds, no idea why you are saying that.

You have stated that people should be able to drive at whatever speed they feel comfortable with below the limit. It's not correct and goes against the advice of experts. You are wrong on that and shouldn't be saying it. Why does the number of people get fined for it matter? 40% of murders in the UK are by knives. Only 6% are by guns. You can't just dismiss the gun murders as irrelevant because there are so few of them.

You and Moulin Yarns have been acting like ardent Brexiteers, taking a ridiculous position and then just doubling down on it without any logic, it's absolutely mad.
    Last edited by LaMotta; 20-06-2022 at 08:30 PM.

Not the case for my car - you should be fine to go at 80 in a car then according to your speedo!
    He probably is. There's a tolerance of 10% + 2mph in the UK

Never more than 79😉

Yeah that's what I meant.