hibs.net Messageboard

Page 89 of 115 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199 ... LastLast
Results 2,641 to 2,670 of 3436
    @hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not talking about freezing conditions, happened this morning at the foot of Brighton Cres at the lights, nearly missed the lights because it took her so long to turn left in her Clio.
    Just my attempt at a joke – re-read your first post.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nonshinyfinish View Post
    Understandable to slow down in freezing conditions.
    😀👍

Quote Originally Posted by nonshinyfinish View Post
    Just my attempt at a joke – re-read your first post.
    Haha WHOOSH

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    As I said, unless you are aware of the reason for them driving slower than others you should not criticise.

I also said that when I did have a mechanical problem I pulled off the road onto the verge.

There are no hard shoulders on dual carriageways or modern 'smart' motorways.

If you find that you come up behind a slow moving vehicle, be it a car, lorry, tractor or caravan and need to brake or swerve then it is you that is driving without due care and attention.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    As I said, unless you are aware of the reason for them driving slower than others you should not criticise.

I also said that when I did have a mechanical problem I pulled off the road onto the verge.

There are no hard shoulders on dual carriageways or modern 'smart' motorways.

If you find that you come up behind a slow moving vehicle, be it a car, lorry, tractor or caravan and need to brake or swerve then it is you that is driving without due care and attention.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    The problem is that you have both stated in this thread that you think people should be able to drive at 40 in a 70 if they feel like it - on that point, you are both wrong. Nothing else you say is really of any relevance - merely backtracking and changing your position and bringing up irrelevances without actually admitting that you are wrong on your assertion.

p.s There are hard shoulders on dual carriageways and motorways in Scotland.
    Last edited by LaMotta; 14-06-2022 at 07:13 PM.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Someone driving at 40 on a 70 and someone flashing hazards at any speed are different circumstances. Driving without due care and attention is other people coming up behind, consideration for other road users is the dicks well below the posted speed.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    The problem is that you have both stated in this thread that you think people should be able to drive at 40 in a 70 if they feel like it - on that point, you are both wrong. Nothing else you say is really of any relevance - merely backtracking and changing your position and bringing up irrelevances without actually admitting that you are wrong on your assertion.

Says who? It's perfectly legal to drive at 40(+) on a motorway?!?

There are not always hard shoulder on dual carriageway....

I personally enjoy when folk just blat along at a decent speed, but sometimes you can't, if folk choose not to do so you have to drive at their chosen rate until it's safe to overtake.

I'm not convinced folk driving at slower speeds are always the risk their made out to be. Sometimes, maybe, it's the for in ahurry that might be the risky party?!?

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar

That's not what I said, and you know it. Again, unless you know what the circumstances are you have no right to criticise other drivers. Maybe they just had a close thing and are in shock, you just don't know. What you need to consider is your responsibility to other road users.

And show me where there is a hard shoulder on any dual carriageway in Scotland. They don't exist!
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

That's not what I said, and you know it. Again, unless you know what the circumstances are you have no right to criticise other drivers. Maybe they just had a close thing and are in shock, you just don't know. What you need to consider is your responsibility to other road users.

And show me where there is a hard shoulder on any dual carriageway in Scotland. They don't exist!
    But you did say it, earlier on the thread. You said that you were in full agreement with another poster who said that "drivers should be able to drive within the speed limit according to their personal capabilities..."

If you would just now admit that is a ridiculous position to take then things will be much better.

Show you where there is a hard shoulder on a dual carriageway in Scotland? How about the one thousands of drivers pass by every week on the Edinburgh city bypass? There is even a picture for you in the link below

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.c...berton-3352987
    Last edited by LaMotta; 14-06-2022 at 09:43 PM.

But you did say it, earlier on the thread. You said that you were in full agreement with another poster who said that "drivers should be able to drive within the speed limit according to their personal capabilities..."

If you would just now admit that is a ridiculous position to take then things will be much better.

Show you where there is a hard shoulder on a dual carriageway in Scotland? How about the one thousands of drivers pass by every week on the Edinburgh city bypass? There is even a picture for you in the link below

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.c...berton-3352987
    The A720 must be the only dual carriageway that has 'some' hard shoulder, certainly not the full length of the road, because none of the A9 from Keir roundabout to birnam has, a distance of 40 miles!

The only people who I have seen driving below the national speed limit for any distance are those who are driving electric vehicles and are concerned about range or who have not seen the speed limit signs.

However, the driver who can't see the car is driving slowly is the one that is a danger to others.

The A720 must be the only dual carriageway that has 'some' hard shoulder, certainly not the full length of the road, because none of the A9 from Keir roundabout to birnam has, a distance of 40 miles!

The only people who I have seen driving below the national speed limit for any distance are those who are driving electric vehicles and are concerned about range or who have not seen the speed limit signs.

However, the driver who can't see the car is driving slowly is the one that is a danger to others.
    How do you know that?! Even if those are the reasons then it doesn't matter as they are terrible reasons and are clearly driving with out care.

Your last sentence is inaccurate btw. In that scenario both the slow car and anyone who doesnt notice it going slowly is a danger to others.

How do you know that?! Even if those are the reasons then it doesn't matter as they are terrible reasons and are clearly driving with out care.

Your last sentence is inaccurate btw. In that scenario both the slow car and anyone who doesnt notice it going slowly is a danger to others.
    I wonder what you are like when you come across some cyclists 🤔 Mr roadrage I imagine because they aren't going as fast as you want them to!!

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post

I personally enjoy when folk just blat along at a decent speed, but sometimes you can't, if folk choose not to do so you have to drive at their chosen rate until it's safe to overtake.

I'm not convinced folk driving at slower speeds are always the risk their made out to be. Sometimes, maybe, it's the for in ahurry that might be the risky party?!?
    On your last point, if the driver at 70 isn't on the ball and crashes into the 40 mph guy then they're both in the collision and both were at risk.

If the 40 was at 70 then the issue wouldn't have happened (by eliminating the 70mph persons poor performance from being a factor)

It's not the person's "fault' they were driving at 40 but the fact remains doing 40 amongst a lot of cars doing 70 exposes you to more danger, in exactly the same way as breaking down and needing to sit on the hardshoulder raises it even more, despite being off the actual main carriageway. It's why the highway code advises you to leave the car and sit up on the banking.

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    Have to say I’ve been enjoying the cut and thrust of these slow driving posts, although it seems to have developed into a bit of a stand off.

Thought I’d throw my tuppence worth in. In certain places there are minimum speed signs, they do exist in the UK. I’ve never seen one, but they are commonly used in tunnels, they are a circular sign with a blue background with the minimum speed quoted on them usually 30mph and the same sign with a Red Cross through them when the minimum speed zone ends. So you can go even slower if you like.

Likewise you can be stopped and prosecuted by the police if they consider your speed is slow enough to constitute a danger to other road users but in most cases there would be a verbal warning given.

@hibs.net private member EH6 Hibby's Avatar
    My nephew failed his driving test for driving at 40 on a 60 road.

Quote Originally Posted by EH6 Hibby View Post
    My brother in law also failed his test for driving at 20-25 MPH in the centre of Pitlochry in summer. His response was it's safer because of all the tourist with no road sense. Guess what, it's now a 20MPH zone!

Quote Originally Posted by EH6 Hibby View Post
    I was advised that when sitting a practical driving test, you must demonstrate to the examiner that you're aware of the posted limit on the road you're driving.
    The easiest way to do that is to drive between the posted limit and the one below. So in your nephews case, he probably would have been fine if he'd sat just above the 50.

Says who? The police, driving instructors and the RAC amongst others. It's not always pefectly legal to drive at 40 on a motorway. Its just not that black and white - it depends on the circumstances and the intrepretation of the police. Anyone driving significantly below 50 when there doesn't appear to be a good reason for it runs the risk of being pulled by the police.

Im not claiming to be an expert on this, im just listening to the advice of those who are experts rather than following some peoples gut on here who think its ok to dawdle along for the sake of it.
    Last edited by LaMotta; 15-06-2022 at 03:22 PM.

I wonder what you are like when you come across some cyclists 🤔 Mr roadrage I imagine because they aren't going as fast as you want them to!!
    Wrong again pal

My brother in law also failed his test for driving at 20-25 MPH in the centre of Pitlochry in summer. His response was it's safer because of all the tourist with no road sense. Guess what, it's now a 20MPH zone!
    He probably shouldn't have listened to you telling him he could drive as slowly as he liked and paid a bit more attention to his driving instructor!

@hibs.net private member
    Common sense says keep up with the general traffic flow. Driving at 40mph on a fast moving 70 mph limit road is asking for trouble.

I came across this on the bypass last week: a tow truck pulling a car at 20 mph, half in the inside lane and the gutter.

Luckily the traffic was quiet....

Says who? The police, driving instructors and the RAC amongst others. It's not always pefectly legal to drive at 40 on a motorway. Its just not that black and white - it depends on the circumstances and the intrepretation of the police. Anyone driving significantly below 50 when there doesn't appear to be a good reason for it runs the risk of being pulled by the police.

Im not claiming to be an expert on this, im just listening to the advice of those who are experts rather than following some peoples gut on here who think its ok to dawdle along for the sake of it.
    Been a couple of days since this was posted and I've ruminated over it, and even asked my wifes step-sisters brother-in-law (I know, rumours from Greggs incoming) who is a road policing officer up in Perth. He confirmed there's no legal minimum limit on motorways and said they only way he'd ticket someone doing 40 or less is if there was some outstanding marker on the car/driver.
    His attitude was that it's poor drivers that drive too fast that cause the vast majority of issues on the road, not poor drivers that drive too slow.
    I'm genuinely not trying to be contrary here, I've just spent the best part of the afternoon traveling back to Edinburgh from the Cowal peninsula and was stuck for long sections doing 40 in a posted 60 because of slower vehicles but I never for one minute thought that the motorhomes, caravans and HGV's up ahead were a danger. The few folk that tried (and failed) to overtake at inappropriate sections however....

Been a couple of days since this was posted and I've ruminated over it, and even asked my wifes step-sisters brother-in-law (I know, rumours from Greggs incoming) who is a road policing officer up in Perth. He confirmed there's no legal minimum limit on motorways and said they only way he'd ticket someone doing 40 or less is if there was some outstanding marker on the car/driver.
    His attitude was that it's poor drivers that drive too fast that cause the vast majority of issues on the road, not poor drivers that drive too slow.
    I'm genuinely not trying to be contrary here, I've just spent the best part of the afternoon traveling back to Edinburgh from the Cowal peninsula and was stuck for long sections doing 40 in a posted 60 because of slower vehicles but I never for one minute thought that the motorhomes, caravans and HGV's up ahead were a danger. The few folk that tried (and failed) to overtake at inappropriate sections however....
    Great Post. As an ex paramedic, I've never witnessed a road death due to someone driving too slow, it's always been those that think the road belongs to them and only how they drive is the correct way to drive. There are many different vehicles and drivers with different capabilities, the road belongs to everyone and not just those who think they're king of the road, a good driver is someone who can appreciate that our roads are for everyone and who can react accordingly, if you can only cope with traffic moving at the same speed, then maybe you shouldn't be allowed on the road.

Great Post. As an ex paramedic, I've never witnessed a road death due to someone driving too slow, it's always been those that think the road belongs to them and only how they drive is the correct way to drive. There are many different vehicles and drivers with different capabilities, the road belongs to everyone and not just those who think they're king of the road, a good driver is someone who can appreciate that our roads are for everyone and who can react accordingly, if you can only cope with traffic moving at the same speed, then maybe you shouldn't be allowed on the road.
    This is an awful post - your posts on this topic are really irresponsible actually. Motorways and dual carriageways belong to everyone? Nonsense - why do you think bicycles and 50cc scooters are banned from them? Because they drive too slowly and will cause danger to themselves and others.

To quote the AA President, Edmund King: "Driving like a snail can be as dangerous as driving like a cheetah". Slow driving can cause crashes. https://www.itv.com/news/2018-12-29/...y-slow-drivers.

This is an awful post - your posts on this topic are really irresponsible actually. Motorways and dual carriageways belong to everyone? Nonsense - why do you think bicycles and 50cc scooters are banned from them? Because they drive too slowly and will cause danger to themselves and others.

To quote the AA President, Edmund King: "Driving like a snail can be as dangerous as driving like a cheetah". Slow driving can cause crashes. https://www.itv.com/news/2018-12-29/...y-slow-drivers.
    Where does he say motorways and dual carriageways belong t to everyone????

You really need to take a step back before posting!!!

However if your capabilities mean you aren't able to keep up reasonable speed then maybe you shouldn't be driving on dual carriageways or motorways. Take an alternative route or take additional lessons to build confidence and skills.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    £1.96/litre of diesel at the tesco near me today. £99 and it only filled just past the 3/4 mark in the tank.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    £1.96/litre of diesel at the tesco near me today. £99 and it only filled just past the 3/4 mark in the tank.
    ****ing ridiculous.

My work have allowed me to work from home for 3 days per week, and I genuinely feel like I couldn’t afford to do more from the office. I’ve got a 60 mile a day commute so they’re saving me 180 miles a week thankfully.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    ****ing ridiculous.

My work have allowed me to work from home for 3 days per week, and I genuinely feel like I couldn’t afford to do more from the office. I’ve got a 60 mile a day commute so they’re saving me 180 miles a week thankfully.
    It’s over £8 a gallon now ..if you get 50 MPG. That’s saving you around 30 quid a week …almost £1500 quid a year …(taking in the account holidays etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    ****ing ridiculous.

If you drive at 45 instead of 70, then you will save a lot on fuel costs. Mind you you might get lynched for doing so.