hibs.net Messageboard

Page 83 of 115 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593 ... LastLast
Results 2,461 to 2,490 of 3436
    @hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    People who coast when reducing their speed rather than braking. I travel a road to work that multiple changes of speed limit and it's ****ing infuriating to not get the advance warning of a brake light.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Alfiembra View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have to hold my hand up and say that I’m guilty of leaving it late to indicate to leave a dual carriageway or motorway, I usually start to indicate half way between the 100 and 200 metre markers, can’t give a reason for it just a bad habit I guess but I will try harder in the future.
    I used to drive a lot of long distance journeys and always felt I used my indicators more than most especially for lane changes.
    However, there is one particular roundabout which is the one on Calder Road at Wester Hailes Road, especially at busy times, if you are heading into town on Calder Road wanting to turn right into Wester Hailes Road when I use my indicators then inavariably someone heading out of town on Calder Road will try and nip across the front of me. When I don’t indicate the drivers waiting to get across the roundabout generally wait to see where I’m going. Not saying it’s good practice and probably makes me out to be a very inconsiderate driver, I hope not, I’d rather have a derisory comment aimed at me than me T-boning an impatient driver.
    Being fair mate, I wouldn’t describe between 200 and 100 markers as being particularly late in indicating, it’s more the folk who flick it on as the car is crossing the line and you’ve already seen them moving anyway 😄

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Just read an article about oil prices meaning fuel jumped by 3p per litre yesterday, the highest rise recorded by the RAC.

It then said underneath that as prices stabilise and fall it will take time for these to filter through to the forecourt?

Why? The ***** are eager enough to stick the prices up as soon as the chance comes around, but they take eons to drop them again. It should track the price of oil, if it goes up, the price goes up straight away, if it goes down the price comes down straight away.

Honestly, **** fuel companies.

Totally agree about the slow price reduction, but I think there’s also a question to be asked about how quick they go. For example, fuel prices have jumped 3p due to rising cost of oil, why?

The fuel in the garage/tanker has already been bought, shipped, processed, and shipped/on its way to the garage, so why should the price go up when they have had no additional cost in that short period of a few hours?

Total greed - same when the costs were kept high over Christmas/new year when the oil cost dropped. An article I read (bbc possibly) stated something like 8 million pounds was spent in the uk on fuel in a 4 week period that was over and above what the fuel price was compared to the previous time oil was at that price (a couple of months before).

I've said it before and I'll say it again, pricks who indicate right at a set of lights just as the lights change, happened this morning at Montrose Terrace heading into town, prick.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, pricks who indicate right at a set of lights just as the lights change, happened this morning at Montrose Terrace heading into town, prick.
    Corstorphine/clermiston junction is bad for that.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Idiots who think that when a bus has stopped blocking their lane, they have the absolute right to pull onto the other side of the road regardless of the oncoming traffic meeting them head on.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    rear fog lights wrongfully used.

11pm last night heading home from the Blue Rose Code gig and there is a Nissan Micra ahead on a single carriageway section of the A9 around Birnam and Dunkeld. I'm on cruise control at 58mph and I gain on this car. when I get to about 50m behind it they stick their fog light on! No, I have dipped beams on. I'm not blinding you!!
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    rear fog lights wrongfully used.

11pm last night heading home from the Blue Rose Code gig and there is a Nissan Micra ahead on a single carriageway section of the A9 around Birnam and Dunkeld. I'm on cruise control at 58mph and I gain on this car. when I get to about 50m behind it they stick their fog light on! No, I have dipped beams on. I'm not blinding you!!
    Hmmm I hope they turned it off after you put your full beams on!

Quote Originally Posted by Just Alf View Post
    Hmmm I hope they turned it off after you put your full beams on!
    I flashed them then passed them when safe. Guy behind me also flashed them but he obviously didn't know the road as well as I do because he was a while before passing.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Taking your car in for a service and all your settings have been changed.

People who beep the horn when they drop someone off.

People who evidently don't understand how average speed cameras work.

Was driving the A9 early yesterday morning. Sitting bang on 60 and guy tailgated me for a mile or so, he then pulled out to overtake and flew away up the road until he hit the next car a mile ahead. Then we reached a dual section and he was off, easily hitting 85+ (I was at 70 and he was flying away from me). Then he spies the average speed camera just after the return of single carriageway and slams his brakes on.

That's not how it works mate. Enjoy your 3 points.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    People who evidently don't understand how average speed cameras work.

Was driving the A9 early yesterday morning. Sitting bang on 60 and guy tailgated me for a mile or so, he then pulled out to overtake and flew away up the road until he hit the next car a mile ahead. Then we reached a dual section and he was off, easily hitting 85+ (I was at 70 and he was flying away from me). Then he spies the average speed camera just after the return of single carriageway and slams his brakes on.

That's not how it works mate. Enjoy your 3 points.
    Average speed cameras are the reason cars are fitted with cruise control. 😁

Also drivers who think the hgv 50mph signs apply to them!!
    Last edited by Moulin Yarns; 14-03-2022 at 09:03 PM.

Cyclist on saturday who thought it was a good idea to cycle between the tram lines on Princes St holding up all the buses trying to get past him, just because there's tram lines doesn't stop it from being a traffic lane when no trams are on it, arrogant arse.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Cyclist on saturday who thought it was a good idea to cycle between the tram lines on Princes St holding up all the buses trying to get past him, just because there's tram lines doesn't stop it from being a traffic lane when no trams are on it, arrogant arse.
    Could it be with the new HC guidance the cyclist felt safer in their right lane rather than cycling in the left where buses continually stop and risk being squeezed by traffic passing on their right?
    Depending on the time of day, I'd reckon a cyclist would make better progress than a bus along Princes Street anyways.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    Could it be with the new HC guidance the cyclist felt safer in their right lane rather than cycling in the left where buses continually stop and risk being squeezed by traffic passing on their right?
    Depending on the time of day, I'd reckon a cyclist would make better progress than a bus along Princes Street anyways.
    If I'm cycling there, I often use the RH lane for the reasons you suggest.

The new rules only allow them to use the middle inside lane incase of potholes, not the middle of the outside one, just taking the piss. Just cause you have a bike doesn't mean you can do as you please wherever. Cyclists are meant to stay in the left hand lane as close to the kerb as possible, not whatever lane they fancy, unless they're turning right, he had a queue of about 6 bus and taxis behind him tooting and flashing their lights, so was obviously holding them up, he didn't seem to be in any rush.
    Last edited by J-C; 15-03-2022 at 01:00 PM.

The new rules only allow them to use the middle inside lane incase of potholes, not the middle of the outside one, just taking the piss. Just cause you have a bike doesn't mean you can do as you please wherever. Cyclists are meant to stay in the left hand lane as close to the kerb as possible, not whatever lane they fancy, unless they're turning right,
    That's just plain wrong. I'd struggle to think where that information could be found!

All road users should use the leftmost suitable lane when traveling. If the left hand lane isn't suitable then you're entitled to take the next lane.
    Remember, it was only a few years ago a foreign student was killed because her bike got caught between the fence/tram-line in a single lane at the West End of Princes St and a minibus with a mic'd up driver that was too close to stop drive over her.
    Let's just give each other space and respect those that have to take the space.
    I've tried to explain this in a non-patronising way to others before but it is difficult without coming over as a d!ck, if we all just tried to stop killing each other on the roads, then we wouldn't need any rules or guidance, would we?!?

he had a queue of about 6 bus and taxis behind him tooting and flashing their lights, so was obviously holding them up, he didn't seem to be in any rush.
    There's not enough info here to decide if the cyclist was indeed a throbber, how fast was he going, was he weaving in and out etc. But if the inside lane was clear/empty, is there a reason the queuing vehicles didn't just batter along there instead?
    Last edited by speedy_gonzales; 15-03-2022 at 03:57 PM.

As a follow-up to giving each other space, I've said before that I drive a vehicle with a spy-in-the-cab so I have no choice but to obey posted limits for my class of vehicle (small van).
    It has never really bothered me in the past but recently it has been getting ridiculous with the amount of vehicles that have been driving that close that I've had to do a double take in the rear view mirror after I thought "I must be towing this guy!".
    Perhaps it's a disproportionate effect of traffic slowly returning to pre-pandemic levels.
    Be it the temp 40 section at the top end of the A1, or the bypass where I can only do 60, I've had numerous folk drive within feet of my bumper. I don't react to it, I don't do anything daft like dab the brakes or put my hazards on, and I always pull back to the left when safe to do so, but I just wonder if the other drivers understand that if I have to stop or slow down considerably, then they will most likely end up in the load space of my van.
    Last edited by speedy_gonzales; 15-03-2022 at 03:41 PM.

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Easter Road this morning... a few cyclists had ended up grouped together, most were in line but one guy overtook the rear few bikes then appeared to slow down and match the speed of the rest and cycled up the middle of the lane totally blocking the increasingly longer queue of vehicles following behind... some of the worst cycling I've seen in ages.

That's just plain wrong. I'd struggle to think where that information could be found!

All road users should use the leftmost suitable lane when traveling. If the left hand lane isn't suitable then you're entitled to take the next lane.
    Remember, it was only a few years ago a foreign student was killed because her bike got caught between the fence/tram-line in a single lane at the West End of Princes St and a minibus with a mic'd up driver that was too close to stop drive over her.
    Let's just give each other space and respect those that have to take the space.
    I've tried to explain this in a non-patronising way to others before but it is difficult without coming over as a d!ck, if we all just tried to stop killing each other on the roads, then we wouldn't need any rules or guidance, would we?!?

There's not enough info here to decide if the cyclist was indeed a throbber, how fast was he going, was he weaving in and out etc. But if the inside lane was clear/empty, is there a reason the queuing vehicles didn't just batter along there instead?
    He was travelling around 10mph, wasn't exactly trying to go fast to get out the way, it looked to me he was trying to be a nuisance deliberately. There were buses at stops which the others were going past but once he went past them he just stayed in between the tram lines. Probably taking advantage of trams not going along Princes St but both lanes are used between Charlotte and Fredrick, there was plenty room on the inside lane, he just decided he wasn't moving.

I had a cyclist today overtake slow moving traffic on St John's Rd heading into town on the wrong side of the road, he had to dart in sharpish when a car missed him by about 2ft, this wasn't a young guy but a bloke in his 50's.

I have no problems with cyclists who are courteous road users, we all have to use the roads but erseholes whether on a bike, car, bus,taxi etc will be called out.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    The person who decided to beep at my fiancée whilst she was doing her driving test as she showed 1 sign of hesitation at a busy roundabout (fort kinnaird). She then tailgaited her up a slip road and tried to get on to the dual carriageway before her which would have blocked her in.

Not sure what possesses some people to get so enraged at things. Obviously she couldn't know it was an actual test, but there are still a load of "L" signs on the vehicle.

As it turns out, that 1 bit of hesitation was her only (minor) fault during the exam.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Not a driving peeve as such but a family member informs me that an dependant petrol station near where they stay in Fife rammed prices up to £1.99.9 a litre, this was met with a boycott and prices dropped to £1.85.9. Scandalous. The Tesco near me is £1.62.9 for E10 petrol.

We ned to HGVs to go on a massive protest like they do in France.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    The person who decided to beep at my fiancée whilst she was doing her driving test as she showed 1 sign of hesitation at a busy roundabout (fort kinnaird). She then tailgaited her up a slip road and tried to get on to the dual carriageway before her which would have blocked her in.

Not sure what possesses some people to get so enraged at things. Obviously she couldn't know it was an actual test, but there are still a load of "L" signs on the vehicle.

As it turns out, that 1 bit of hesitation was her only (minor) fault during the exam.
    No need, I know being behind a learner can be frustrating but we were all newbies at one point.

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar

People need to have more patience when behind a learner, it can be annoying sometimes but we all had to learn.

A white van man crashed into the back of my instructors car during one of my lessons because I didn’t move as soon as the traffic lights turned to amber. There’s no need to be in that much of a rush!

Aside from being a prick and not being considerate, pretty risky tailgating a learner.

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    While tailgating is dangerous ersehole behaviour in any situation, it's particularly baffling when someone does it behind a driving instructor car. Some percentage of regular drivers will be bullied into speeding up, so there's some potential payoff for the ersehole tailgater, but what do they think's going to happen when it's a driving lesson? The instructor's going to go "this fanny behind us is in a hurry, so you'd better speed up to 35"?

Quote Originally Posted by nonshinyfinish View Post
    While tailgating is dangerous ersehole behaviour in any situation, it's particularly baffling when someone does it behind a driving instructor car. Some percentage of regular drivers will be bullied into speeding up, so there's some potential payoff for the ersehole tailgater, but what do they think's going to happen when it's a driving lesson? The instructor's going to go "this fanny behind us is in a hurry, so you'd better speed up to 35"?
    I remember my driving instructor telling me to slow down even further when someone behind beeped me to piss them off.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    I remember my driving instructor telling me to slow down even further when someone behind beeped me to piss them off.

I'm sure Scouse Hibee one posted a 'naughty' solution to tailgaters on this thread a while back, especially on the motorway. I'll let him explain.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Price of diesel is so high now that the self-serve pay at the pump hit the maximum £99 before my fuel tank was filled last night. Absolutely ridiculous.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net