hibs.net Messageboard

Page 82 of 115 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492 ... LastLast
Results 2,431 to 2,460 of 3436
    @hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've posted the same before, I think the problem is twofold. One, a lot of modern cars have automatic lights that come on as it gets dark, and if your car has been serviced the garage may have switched them off, and two, most cars have dashboard lights that are on all the time giving the impression that your lights are on. Having said all that, one of the drivers I managed to stop and they got out to look at the lights when I told them, the got back in and were having a good look around the dashboard as if they didn't even know how to switch them on!
    Anyone know why the garage turn them off?

I've always wondered but forget to ask.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Probably just because they are checking the lights are working or not during the service.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Audi drivers. Nice decent space to join the moving traffic and sprinted to ensure I didn't get in front.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Folk who overtake on the A9 dual-cariageway, and slam on the brakes when they see the Police speed camera van up ahead.

I was doing 66mph (on cruise control) when this young woman in a BMW overtook me, pulled in and slammed on the anchors when she saw the van so she was down to 60mph, so I overtook her as we approached the camera. after the van was well away in the rear view mirror she was past me like an exocet rocket!!
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    Folk who overtake on the A9 dual-cariageway, and slam on the brakes when they see the Police speed camera van up ahead.

I was doing 66mph (on cruise control) when this young woman in a BMW overtook me, pulled in and slammed on the anchors when she saw the van so she was down to 60mph, so I overtook her as we approached the camera. after the van was well away in the rear view mirror she was past me like an exocet rocket!!
    Same thing happens at their favourite bits on A71
    Half of them must slow down to about 45mph, I don't half fly past them doing 60 in my van.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    Same thing happens at their favourite bits on A71
    Half of them must slow down to about 45mph, I don't half fly past them doing 60 in my van.
    50mph surely if you're in a van, single carriageway signed NSL/60???

I only mention it as my employers vans have tracking/telemetry and the "driving aid" gets very bleepy when I go over the vehicle specific limit.

Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    50mph surely if you're in a van, single carriageway signed NSL/60???

I only mention it as my employers vans have tracking/telemetry and the "driving aid" gets very bleepy when I go over the vehicle specific limit.
    Dual carriageway from Moorfield to Irvine. Bad smash on Bellfield interchange to Moorfield 50mph stretch this morning

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    Dual carriageway from Moorfield to Irvine. Bad smash on Bellfield interchange to Moorfield 50mph stretch this morning
    Ahhh, apologies, didn't clock your username. I forgot there was a wee bit dual from Kilmarnock to the coast.

Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    Ahhh, apologies, didn't clock your username. I forgot there was a wee bit dual from Kilmarnock to the coast.
    It's about the only half decent stretch of the whole road.
    If the company ever hassle you on your driving find out if they get telemtics calibrated annually, most of them don't bother.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Folk who still don’t understand bus lanes and folk who potter along at 20mph in 40mph roads, was behind a taxi who was in the outside lane on Glasgow road and decided to turn left at the latest possible point while a car was driving in the bus lane, so annoying.

@hibs.net private member & Biggest, Funniest Slaver on hibs.net 2012 Pedantic_Hibee's Avatar
    I can now finally join this thread. At the ripe old age of 39 I passed my driving test yesterday at the third attempt with only one minor. It won’t be long until I’m populating this thread with a litany of complaints 😂
    "Play for the name on the front of the jersey and the supporters will remember the name on the back"

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Came head to head with a driver due to roadworks on Caroline Terrace, the obstruction was on their side of the road which technically meant I had right of way. They only had to reverse about 20 foot to let me get through but wouldn’t budge, my reverse was a about 80 foot around the bend so got out and explained that and asked them to reverse, it was an elderly guy who got quite abusive and said he wasn’t moving as he didn’t like reversing!

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Came head to head with a driver due to roadworks on Caroline Terrace, the obstruction was on their side of the road which technically meant I had right of way. They only had to reverse about 20 foot to let me get through but wouldn’t budge, my reverse was a about 80 foot around the bend so got out and explained that and asked them to reverse, it was an elderly guy who got quite abusive and said he wasn’t moving as he didn’t like reversing!
    You still there?😃

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    He shouldn't be driving then.

Reminds me of a guy I used to work with who would go mental detours to avoid making a right turn at traffic lights that didn't have a filter. He would turn right at a T junction (with or without lights) and at a traffic light with a right filter on it but not any other type of junction.

I often wondered how he passed his test.

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    He shouldn't be driving then.

Reminds me of a guy I used to work with who would go mental detours to avoid making a right turn at traffic lights that didn't have a filter. He would turn right at a T junction (with or without lights) and at a traffic light with a right filter on it but not any other type of junction.

I often wondered how he passed his test.
    I vaguely remember being told that you can't be penalised for taking wrong turns in your test, so maybe when the examiner said 'turn right at these lights' he just turned left and went 'ah sorry, I thought you said left'.

Quote Originally Posted by patch1875 View Post
    You still there?😃
    😂 I’m getting more tolerant in my old age and reversed myself as he was not going anywhere.

😂 I’m getting more tolerant in my old age and reversed myself as he was not going anywhere.
    I hope you told him to use that bus pass more often

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Seen the most spectacularly selfish thing I've seen in years on the roads this morning; on the way into St. Andrews there was some temporary traffic lights set up just before St. Michaels. A woman coming the other way who was the last in her queue stopped a few metres in front of where she'd cleared the lights and rolled own her window to have a conversation with a friend she'd spotted in the queue the other way! Very much the Hyacinth Bucket type, Peugeot SUV, general smug and smarmy look.

I was going to say something but overheard the mouthful of abuse from the woman in the car in front of me (quite a lot of four letter words used) kind of said everything I think the rest of us in the queue wanted to say and quite a bit more

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Seen the most spectacularly selfish thing I've seen in years on the roads this morning; on the way into St. Andrews there was some temporary traffic lights set up just before St. Michaels. A woman coming the other way who was the last in her queue stopped a few metres in front of where she'd cleared the lights and rolled own her window to have a conversation with a friend she'd spotted in the queue the other way! Very much the Hyacinth Bucket type, Peugeot SUV, general smug and smarmy look.

I was going to say something but overheard the mouthful of abuse from the woman in the car in front of me (quite a lot of four letter words used) kind of said everything I think the rest of us in the queue wanted to say and quite a bit more
    My wife's auntie once spoke her way through 3 sets of lights at roadworks in Ayr. When the guy behind lost patience and hit the horn briefly he got the fingers from her and we got the comment that he shouldn't be impatient.

That was the last time I ever let her drive me.

Folk who just don’t understand how to indicate correctly when leaving a roundabout, it mystifies me how people get it so wrong, especially using the wrong indicator!

Folk that don’t indicate at the 300 yard marker that they are coming off the motorway. I seem to be the only bugger on the road that does it. Most seem to do it at the 100 yard marker or just as they are performing the manoeuvre.

Folk who just don’t understand how to indicate correctly when leaving a roundabout, it mystifies me how people get it so wrong, especially using the wrong indicator!
    Linked to this, people that don’t indicate at all at roundabouts because they think if there’s a road marking stating where the one is going that they don’t need to.

@hibs.net private member
    Linked to this, people that don’t indicate at all at roundabouts because they think if there’s a road marking stating where the one is going that they don’t need to.
    This comment made me pause and think. If I'm in a filter lane that's e.g. turning right, and the lane is clearly identified as solely a filter lane, then I don't bother indicating right. Why should I? I'm in the lane for turning right.

So doesn't the same thing apply to roundabouts with lane markings?

Quote Originally Posted by grunt View Post
    This comment made me pause and think. If I'm in a filter lane that's e.g. turning right, and the lane is clearly identified as solely a filter lane, then I don't bother indicating right. Why should I? I'm in the lane for turning right.

So doesn't the same thing apply to roundabouts with lane markings?
    I have an issue with the filter one as well. How does someone coming the other way know that it is a filter lane? In the same way, how does anyone else on the roundabout know that the lane in question is only going to one exit?

@hibs.net private member
    I have an issue with the filter one as well. How does someone coming the other way know that it is a filter lane? In the same way, how does anyone else on the roundabout know that the lane in question is only going to one exit?
    Re the filter lane, the ones I'm thinking of it doesn't matter what the opposing traffic thinks because their movement is managed by traffic lights. I'm thinking e.g. Western Approach right turn towards Haymarket.

Similarly on lanes at roundabouts I'm thinking e.g. Sheriffhall.

At other times where the lane has dual purpose I'd probably indicate.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grunt View Post
    Re the filter lane, the ones I'm thinking of it doesn't matter what the opposing traffic thinks because their movement is managed by traffic lights. I'm thinking e.g. Western Approach right turn towards Haymarket.

Similarly on lanes at roundabouts I'm thinking e.g. Sheriffhall.

At other times where the lane has dual purpose I'd probably indicate.
    Not everyone is going to be familiar with the layout of the lanes, especially visitors to the city. Tbh it’s just common courtesy and is something that should be done as a matter of course, it’s not like it’s a hassle to do it.

United we stand here....

Folk that don’t indicate at the 300 yard marker that they are coming off the motorway. I seem to be the only bugger on the road that does it. Most seem to do it at the 100 yard marker or just as they are performing the manoeuvre.

totally agree, there’s no point in doing it as you’re making the manoeuvre, we can see your car moving now, it’s too late. You’re indicating to tell us what you’re about to do, not what you’re actually doing

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    totally agree, there’s no point in doing it as you’re making the manoeuvre, we can see your car moving now, it’s too late. You’re indicating to tell us what you’re about to do, not what you’re actually doing
    Not sure it matters as long as they are leaving at the same speed.

Although if you have active lane assist it’s defo easier to indicate rather than the car trying to keep you on the motorway as you wrestle the steering wheel

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post

I have to hold my hand up and say that I’m guilty of leaving it late to indicate to leave a dual carriageway or motorway, I usually start to indicate half way between the 100 and 200 metre markers, can’t give a reason for it just a bad habit I guess but I will try harder in the future.
    I used to drive a lot of long distance journeys and always felt I used my indicators more than most especially for lane changes.
    However, there is one particular roundabout which is the one on Calder Road at Wester Hailes Road, especially at busy times, if you are heading into town on Calder Road wanting to turn right into Wester Hailes Road when I use my indicators then inavariably someone heading out of town on Calder Road will try and nip across the front of me. When I don’t indicate the drivers waiting to get across the roundabout generally wait to see where I’m going. Not saying it’s good practice and probably makes me out to be a very inconsiderate driver, I hope not, I’d rather have a derisory comment aimed at me than me T-boning an impatient driver.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Just read an article about oil prices meaning fuel jumped by 3p per litre yesterday, the highest rise recorded by the RAC.

It then said underneath that as prices stabilise and fall it will take time for these to filter through to the forecourt?

Why? The ***** are eager enough to stick the prices up as soon as the chance comes around, but they take eons to drop them again. It should track the price of oil, if it goes up, the price goes up straight away, if it goes down the price comes down straight away.

Honestly, **** fuel companies.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson