hibs.net Messageboard

Page 80 of 115 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast
Results 2,371 to 2,400 of 3436
    @hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfiembra View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    https://www.webasto-comfort.com/en-u...ctric-heating/

These have been on the go for years more popular in very cold climates but can be remote controlled so your car can be all toasty for you heading out on a cold morning.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfiembra View Post
    https://www.webasto-comfort.com/en-u...ctric-heating/

These have been on the go for years more popular in very cold climates but can be remote controlled so your car can be all toasty for you heading out on a cold morning.
    You just need to be careful that they don't kill your battery.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibee87 View Post
    Thought I had said this on here already, but cant see it.

I was driving along the bypass a few months back to play golf, going 70 and if anything I was actually too close to the car in front on the inside lane.
    Black SUV came right up my arse, sure it was an Audi and lights start flashing. Im a bit confused as to what he expected me to do as traffic was nose to tail pretty much on both lanes as it was 4 half 4ish.
    kept flashing for about half a mile or so, eventually pulling into outside lane and is beside me. And you just kinda know what road users are about to do and he genuinely was trying to undercut me to get in front, but because im still at a steady 70, with no room in front for him to even get in, coupled with the fact a car in front of him meant he was boxed in essentially. He made a slight manoeuvre as to side crash into my car (if I was inexperienced, or intimidated) I could have slammed my brakes on and veered into the brick wall on my right, or caused a crash behind me.
    As it was a few months ago it was warm and my windows were down, I couldn't make out what he was saying but he was red in the face absolutely furious screaming something. I shouted something back and gestered.

And the best part of it all.......... literally he pulled off the road at the lothianburn junction all this happened in the what? mile and a half from just before the Dreghorn junction to the lothianburn one, so he didn't even need to be in the inside lane at any point of his journey.

Thats just an absolute throbber. No need for it.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Folk who deliberately jump a queue of traffic just to dangerously and recklessly cut in at the last minute.
    Coming home this evening, heading west along Captains Rd, long queue of traffic in the left lane at the lights(most heading straight on to Frogston Rd) and some throbbers come along at speed in the outside lane (signed right turn for Howdenhall Rd) and as the queue starts moving they dive back in to the left, one guy narrowly misses taking the front of my motor off.
    Going along Frogston towards the junction at Fairmilehead the knob-jockey now in front of me tries it again, except this time nobody let's him back in and as I pull up abreast, he must have been under some false illusion that I was going to let lightning strike twice.
    Although I never reacted with either of his poor decisions, he chooses to go nuts at me and leans on the horn,,,, don't think it helped that I was laughing my ass off as I passed by.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    Folk who deliberately jump a queue of traffic just to dangerously and recklessly cut in at the last minute.
    Coming home this evening, heading west along Captains Rd, long queue of traffic in the left lane at the lights(most heading straight on to Frogston Rd) and some throbbers come along at speed in the outside lane (signed right turn for Howdenhall Rd) and as the queue starts moving they dive back in to the left, one guy narrowly misses taking the front of my motor off.
    Going along Frogston towards the junction at Fairmilehead the knob-jockey now in front of me tries it again, except this time nobody let's him back in and as I pull up abreast, he must have been under some false illusion that I was going to let lightning strike twice.
    Although I never reacted with either of his poor decisions, he chooses to go nuts at me and leans on the horn,,,, don't think it helped that I was laughing my ass off as I passed by.
    That's ironic considering your user name 😁
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I can’t stand people like that, they have a huge amount of self entitlement that they don’t think they have to wait in the queue like everyone else. It really annoys me when people let them in.

United we stand here....

Drivers who slow down to let you cross and then get aggressive when you decline their offer. It's a pedestrian peeve really!
    Honestly, the bloke gave me the vees when he drove off too! Scary.

SUVs/big cars in general, and people who simply don't need a big monstrous car like that and quite often are incapable of driving or parking them properly.

The thought of the Mum and her Chelsea Tractor springs to mind; with mummy dropping off the kids at school and doing a bit of shopping at Waitrose in some monstrous big car that she really doesn't need.

Or some pencil d1ck guy driving around in some giant motor because he thinks it makes him look like Arnold Schwarzenegger.

While that is all just (usually) a mere irritation, it's much more serious than that...

"On average, SUVs consume 20 per cent more energy per kilometre than a medium-sized car.

The increase in SUVs in 2020 led to a rise in oil consumption that cancelled out the effect of electric cars"

https://www.newscientist.com/article...electric-cars/

In essence, SUV drivers are totally negating the benefits from environmentally friendlier alternatives.

There has also been research that suggests that SUVs are involved in a higher number of car crashes, which has often been put down to more reckless driving simply because they feel safer in their monster car.

Plus a pedestrian, or other driver, has a higher risk of dying when involved in an accident with an SUV than if it was a standard size car.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    SUVs/big cars in general, and people who simply don't need a big monstrous car like that and quite often are incapable of driving or parking them properly.

The thought of the Mum and her Chelsea Tractor springs to mind; with mummy dropping off the kids at school and doing a bit of shopping at Waitrose in some monstrous big car that she really doesn't need.

Or some pencil d1ck guy driving around in some giant motor because he thinks it makes him look like Arnold Schwarzenegger.

While that is all just (usually) a mere irritation, it's much more serious than that...

"On average, SUVs consume 20 per cent more energy per kilometre than a medium-sized car.

The increase in SUVs in 2020 led to a rise in oil consumption that cancelled out the effect of electric cars"

https://www.newscientist.com/article...electric-cars/

In essence, SUV drivers are totally negating the benefits from environmentally friendlier alternatives.

There has also been research that suggests that SUVs are involved in a higher number of car crashes, which has often been put down to more reckless driving simply because they feel safer in their monster car.

Plus a pedestrian, or other driver, has a higher risk of dying when involved in an accident with an SUV than if it was a standard size car.
    I've just ordered a new SUV because there was no realistic alternative that fulfills my requirements and was within my budget. I really wanted a hybrid that I could drive on battery for day to day driving with an engine powerful enough to pull a caravan but there is nothing on the market that ticks all the boxes. Hopefully in 4 years there will be something more suitable available that's more environmentally friendly.

People who don't know how to drive on single track roads.

There was a pilot scheme launched a couple of years ago to give retained firefighters, RNLI volunteers, MRT volunteers and so on in some rural areas blue lights for their personal cars. The reason being that when they were in marked cars people generally tried to move for them but when it was an unmarked vehicle, when they were responding to a call out and heading to change or grab equipment etc, people would steadfastly refuse to move. Now the rules on these roads are clear anyway, if you are obstructing the flow of traffic you should pull into a passing place (on the left) and permit overtaking. Yes, you could have some dickhead boy racer behind you but equally it could be someone providing an essential service in a remote community. It should really be little inconvenience to move over for a few seconds.

Anyway I was driving along such a road the other day. I was sitting at about 40mph with another car just ahead of me doing similar. I spotted a car in my mirror travelling faster and immediately clocked a blue flashing light. I pulled into a passing place and by he went with a friendly wave. The car in front just would not move. He must have seen the blue lights, he must have heard the blasts of the horn but he stuck rigidly to 40 passing various passing places and obstructing traffic. Eventually he stopped in the middle of the road, which necessitated me to stop as well, got out and challenged the driver behind him. When the driver, very patiently, explained he was a coastguard volunteer and needed to pass Mr stubborn stated he was 'entitled to use the road and drive as I wish'. No you are not 'entitled' to do that. You have the right to use the road but a responsibility to know how to use it safely and properly.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    People who don't know how to drive on single track roads.

There was a pilot scheme launched a couple of years ago to give retained firefighters, RNLI volunteers, MRT volunteers and so on in some rural areas blue lights for their personal cars. The reason being that when they were in marked cars people generally tried to move for them but when it was an unmarked vehicle, when they were responding to a call out and heading to change or grab equipment etc, people would steadfastly refuse to move. Now the rules on these roads are clear anyway, if you are obstructing the flow of traffic you should pull into a passing place (on the left) and permit overtaking. Yes, you could have some dickhead boy racer behind you but equally it could be someone providing an essential service in a remote community. It should really be little inconvenience to move over for a few seconds.

Anyway I was driving along such a road the other day. I was sitting at about 40mph with another car just ahead of me doing similar. I spotted a car in my mirror travelling faster and immediately clocked a blue flashing light. I pulled into a passing place and by he went with a friendly wave. The car in front just would not move. He must have seen the blue lights, he must have heard the blasts of the horn but he stuck rigidly to 40 passing various passing places and obstructing traffic. Eventually he stopped in the middle of the road, which necessitated me to stop as well, got out and challenged the driver behind him. When the driver, very patiently, explained he was a coastguard volunteer and needed to pass Mr stubborn stated he was 'entitled to use the road and drive as I wish'. No you are not 'entitled' to do that. You have the right to use the road but a responsibility to know how to use it safely and properly.
    A bit less important than your case, last week I was driving down to pick my wife up from work at 16:50, it is dark. A car pulls out of a junction ahead of me with no lights on. I flashed my lights, switched them off and on, I moved out so I was clear in the other drivers wing mirror. Nothing! The car pulled into the local shop car park so I followed and went up to the drivers door. I indicated that I wanted a word, the driver opened the door and I told them that I had been trying to get her attention for the last mile by flashing my lights. The driver said they had not noticed anything, I then pointed out that they had driven the last mile with me behind trying to get their attention that they had no lights on. The driver got out of the car and went round to the front of the car to see if I was telling the truth! The got back in the car and started looking around for a switch tht might possibly put the lights on, I left at that point as I didn't want to be late for my wife.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Drivers of taxis, vans or cars who suddenly slow to a crawl as they are maybe looking for an address? They often continue this for several hundred yards and as you are behind them you really have no clue as to what their next move may be, just ****** indicate left and then we know to pass you.
    Last edited by Scouse Hibee; 10-12-2021 at 12:09 PM.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Drivers of taxis, vans or cars who suddenly slow to a crawl as they are maybe looking for an address? They often continue this for several hundred yards and as you are behind them you really have no clue as to what their next move may be, just ****** indicate left and then we know to pass you.
    Or looking for a parking space. George St is terrible for that.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Or looking for a parking space. George St is terrible for that.
    Oh yes, not a peeve but an absolute pleasure when you witness a recently vacated space (in the middle of the road) and two cars come in, one from each carriageway.
    The standoff that ensues can reach biblical proportions, especially if it's two women. Genuinely not trying to be misogynistic here but it's something I've witnessed many times. It's either testament to the fairer sexes stubbornness or their inability to reverse back out in to traffic (OK, that's laced with a little misogyny there 😉).

Oh yes, not a peeve but an absolute pleasure when you witness a recently vacated space (in the middle of the road) and two cars come in, one from each carriageway.
    The standoff that ensues can reach biblical proportions, especially if it's two women. Genuinely not trying to be misogynistic here but it's something I've witnessed many times. It's either testament to the fairer sexes stubbornness or their inability to reverse back out in to traffic (OK, that's laced with a little misogyny there 😉).
    I was very careful to avoid mentioning the gender of this driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    A bit less important than your case, last week I was driving down to pick my wife up from work at 16:50, it is dark. A car pulls out of a junction ahead of me with no lights on. I flashed my lights, switched them off and on, I moved out so I was clear in the other drivers wing mirror. Nothing! The car pulled into the local shop car park so I followed and went up to the drivers door. I indicated that I wanted a word, the driver opened the door and I told them that I had been trying to get her attention for the last mile by flashing my lights. The driver said they had not noticed anything, I then pointed out that they had driven the last mile with me behind trying to get their attention that they had no lights on. The driver got out of the car and went round to the front of the car to see if I was telling the truth! The got back in the car and started looking around for a switch tht might possibly put the lights on, I left at that point as I didn't want to be late for my wife.

@hibs.net private member
    I was very careful to avoid mentioning the gender of this driver.
    ... I indicated that I wanted a word, the driver opened the door and I told them that I had been trying to get her attention for the last mile by flashing my lights. The driver said they had not noticed anything, I then pointed out that they had driven the last mile with me behind trying to get their attention that they had no lights on. The driver got out of the car and went round to the front of the car to see if I was telling the truth! The got back in the car and started looking around for a switch tht might possibly put the lights on, I left at that point as I didn't want to be late for my wife.

Quote Originally Posted by grunt View Post
    OI! that's not what I said

@hibs.net private member
    Drivers who give no acknowledgement of thanks when you let them join heavy traffic from a side road or such likes, or when you stop and pull over safely to allow an oncoming car to drive on without the two of you jockeying for position on a narrow road. Really gets my back up.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    I've just ordered a new SUV because there was no realistic alternative that fulfills my requirements and was within my budget. I really wanted a hybrid that I could drive on battery for day to day driving with an engine powerful enough to pull a caravan but there is nothing on the market that ticks all the boxes. Hopefully in 4 years there will be something more suitable available that's more environmentally friendly.

Part Two: People who claim to be interested in environmental issues but make excuses for buying gas guzzlers.

In all seriousness, my complaint is aimed more at the people that buy these things but do nothing they couldn't do with just an average sized family car.

It just seems like some people are only buying them because it's trendy or because, once in a blue moon, they can fit a bit more in their car... like there's no possible alternative when you need to move some stuff from one place to another.

None of that negates the massive effect on the environment or the safety issues caused by these monsters.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Sitting at the lights on Princess Street and realising they are still phased for traffic coming from Waverley Bridge!

Mental to close that off in the first place but to not even bother changing the lights to account for it just sums up ECC approach to ‘traffic management’

Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    Sitting at the lights on Princess Street and realising they are still phased for traffic coming from Waverley Bridge!

Mental to close that off in the first place but to not even bother changing the lights to account for it just sums up ECC approach to ‘traffic management’

They hate motorists and want to ban traffic in the city centre. Parking charges on Sundays now too, bet high ranking employees don't have to pay though...

Why is the A90 now a 40mph until the Kirkliston jn, then it goes up to a 50mph until it merges with the main motorway on the approach to the bridge? Seem pointless imo.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Why is the A90 now a 40mph until the Kirkliston jn, then it goes up to a 50mph until it merges with the main motorway on the approach to the bridge? Seem pointless imo.
    Exceedingly pointless and routinely ignored by most!

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    That’s a ridiculous limit, no idea why they’ve done it but it’s a road suitable for much faster than 40.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    That’s a ridiculous limit, no idea why they’ve done it but it’s a road suitable for much faster than 40.
    I think it's more about the road going the other way. Cramond Brig was notorious for drivers speeding and the accidents that resulted. They pushed the edge of the 40 zone further and further back over the years.

Perhaps the road needs, by law, to have the same limit on both sides?

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    I think it's more about the road going the other way. Cramond Brig was notorious for drivers speeding and the accidents that resulted. They pushed the edge of the 40 zone further and further back over the years.

Perhaps the road needs, by law, to have the same limit on both sides?
    Dual carriageway can have different limits on opposite sides according to pistonheads.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post

, it used to be a 70 IIRC.

When you turn off the M8 to head down the M73* the speed limit is 50mph for about two miles.

Nobody drives at 50mph on that part of the road.

* You drive through that section on the way to Hampden.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    When you turn off the M8 to head down the M73* the speed limit is 50mph for about two miles.

Nobody drives at 50mph on that part of the road.

* You drive through that section on the way to Hampden.
    Yeah I was early for the semi final and meandered along there at about 52mph. Felt like I was doing 40 on a 70.

@hibs.net private member
    Ubers.

They are simply the worst. And one of these morons pulled out in front of me from a side street yesterday. And stopped in front of when I hit the horn and brakes.i was doing 25 and still had to make an emergency stop.

My 5 1/2 month old pups were lucky I strap them in.