hibs.net Messageboard

Page 71 of 115 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,130 of 3436
    Cyclists who think it's smart to cycle in the middle of the lane which means no one can overtake, seen it this morning in Porty High St when this young lady decided to do this and had around 10 vehicles trailing behind her all getting impatient.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Cyclists who think it's smart to cycle in the middle of the lane which means no one can overtake, seen it this morning in Porty High St when this young lady decided to do this and had around 10 vehicles trailing behind her all getting impatient.
    The advice from police and their "operation close-pass" is to safely overtake a cyclist (on a standard width road), the car needs to cross the median and drive in the other lane.
    If a cyclist hugs the kerb it might encourage drivers to pass without waiting until it's safe, so for that reason, cyclists are advised to cycle closer to the middle of the lane so as to encourage drivers to wait until it's safe to pass.
    Knowing Porty High St, even if the 10 cars passed the cyclist safely, I wouldn't have been surprised to see the cyclist filter back to the front of the queue at the next set of lights,,,, and so it goes again.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    "The primary road position is that of the general flow of traffic (ie in the centre of the lane)."

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/cy...-Positioning-0

Drivers who don't have a clue - was coming out of the Gyle shopping centre today, heading for the A8 then back in to town. A car went around the roundabout in the wrong lane to go right (1st mistake). They then crossed two lanes without ceding priority to other road users and sped to the Gogar r-a-b. I then noticed their rear nearside tyre was flat and they were running on the rims.
    I tried to get their attention but they sped off around the roundabout then cut traffic up again before going through a red light(just changed) at the Maybury.
    I waited in the traffic then caught up with them again outside the BBQ chippy, I still had every intention of letting then know their tyre was now completely gone, but as they straight-lined the Drum Brae r-a-b I gave up. I don't think I've seen such a display of pi$$ poor driving in a long while.
    The car must have been handling something awful, but they weren't for stopping.
    At one point I thought it was stolen, and it may well have been but it was being driven by a middle-aged lady. Not your stereotypical joy-rider.

@hibs.net private member AFKA5814_Hibs's Avatar
    Not sure if these are driving pet peeves or general ones.

People who leave supermarket trolleys in parking spaces rather than taking them to the trolley shelter about 10 feet away.

People who park on double yellow lines outside a supermarket or shopping centre blocking the road as they are 'waiting on someone inside the shop' despite there being about 100 free spaces in the car park.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AFKA5814_Hibs View Post

People who leave supermarket trolleys in parking spaces rather than taking them to the trolley shelter about 10 feet away.

People who park on double yellow lines outside a supermarket or shopping centre blocking the road as they are 'waiting on someone inside the shop' despite there being about 100 free spaces in the car park.
    Sounds like Asda Leith. There’s a lot of folk either too important or can’t afford the petrol to go round the corner into the car park that park on the double yellows instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    Any dashcam footage? Im thinking of getting one for just these situations.
    No, but I'm thinking the same. The amount of terrible driving out there I'm thinking it's only a matter of time before it negatively affects me.

I can see the shop at Pinkie from my flat, the double yellows at the side of the shop always has a car or a van on it despite there being an always empty car park around 20 feet away. A traffic warden could sit out of sight on a deck chair all day and make an absolute fortune. One time I was driving out of the street and a car came barrelling round the corner, straight on to my side of the road and pulled up and parked right outside the shop on the double yellows. The one and only time I’ve had to do a proper emergency brake. Guy didn’t even acknowledge me!

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar

Those people will be the first to complain coming back to the car to find the wind has blown an unattended trolly into their car too

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Sounds like Asda Leith. There’s a lot of folk either too important or can’t afford the petrol to go round the corner into the car park that park on the double yellows instead.
    Doesn't sound at all like Asda Leith. They don't block the road at all stopping there.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    When you have two roundabouts in close proximity that force you to pick a lane early and the sat nav starts with “In 200 yards, at the roundabout, take the…”, in which time you’ve had to commit to a lane which is always the wrong one.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Cobbles. Terrible to drive over. Terrible to walk over too.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    Cobbles. Terrible to drive over. Terrible to walk over too.
    Terrible to cycle over as well.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    Terrible to cycle over as well.
    Especially on the cobblers

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Middle lane drivers.

I was on the M180, M62, A1M, M6 and M74 today and every single one had some ****wit in an Audi, BMW or the new kid on the block Tesla sitting in the middle lane with nothing in the inside lane for about 5 miles. Of course as soon as you move out to pass them they inevitably put the foot down and try to race you. The good thing about that is they invariably run into another one of their kind 15 seconds up the road and have to ease off again. You then cross across 2 lanes to get back to the inside lane and leave the 2 of them to continue their who's the most obstructive ****** competition.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Middle lane drivers.

I was on the M180, M62, A1M, M6 and M74 today and every single one had some ****wit in an Audi, BMW or the new kid on the block Tesla sitting in the middle lane with nothing in the inside lane for about 5 miles. Of course as soon as you move out to pass them they inevitably put the foot down and try to race you. The good thing about that is they invariably run into another one of their kind 15 seconds up the road and have to ease off again. You then cross across 2 lanes to get back to the inside lane and leave the 2 of them to continue their who's the most obstructive ****** competition.
    What's worse is their total inability to grasp that it's illegal. I had to sit in a BMW with one from Birmingham to the M25 to the M3. I talked pointedly about the law change. No response. He just couldn't see what was wrong.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Middle lane drivers.

Have experienced this a lot, frustrating as hell, having a glance at some of the people who do this and see them clutching the steering wheel as if there life depends on it, it’s almost as if they’re scared to even attempt a lane change on a motorway.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Impatience. We were sat in an hour long traffic jam yesterday due to an accident on the Autobahn. Once the emergency services had treated the injured and cleared the road it was like Whacky Races with people driving like manics in an attempt to make up lost time.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Folk who park next to Sofia’s restaurant at the lights at Corstorphine

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Lost count of the number of near misses at people going through red traffic lights straight ahead when the filter for turning left only is green.

Whilst we're back on the subject of traffic lights, I'm sure it happens mostly during "tourist" season, but there's a few sets of lights in town where I routinely see cars take a right turn then stop at the red light intended for the traffic driving left to right across the junction.
    Happened again this afternoon at the lights for George IV Bridge and Lawnmarket.
    Junction brought to a standstill because someone turning right from Bank St to Lawnmarket stopped at the red light for going up the high street.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    Whilst we're back on the subject of traffic lights, I'm sure it happens mostly during "tourist" season, but there's a few sets of lights in town where I routinely see cars take a right turn then stop at the red light intended for the traffic driving left to right across the junction.
    Happened again this afternoon at the lights for George IV Bridge and Lawnmarket.
    Junction brought to a standstill because someone turning right from Bank St to Lawnmarket stopped at the red light for going up the high street.
    Someone I know failed their test for doing this.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    My mate went into the back of someone at that junction, he hit the brakes and slid on the cobbles. I’ve seen it happen loads of times, as you say it’s normally around this time of year.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Someone did that to me the other day…can’t say I’d ever seen it before and it took me a few seconds to work out wtf they were thinking!

Thankfully I wasn’t in a hurry or following them round just as the lights were changing or anything so I had plenty time to stop, realise what they were up to then politely lose my sh it at them

Saw this almost daily when I used to take the car to work - it was at the lights on Leith Street between the Waterloo Pkace junction and the road access to the Omni car park. Is a terrible light system though.

I think this was covered at length recently but really tentative drivers on roads with speed limits of 50mph+.

I understand there are occasions when someone may have to drive exceptionally slowly for good reason but it's quite difficult to be behind someone driving at 30 on a road with a 60 limit, in perfect conditions like this weekend, who brakes sharply at every other bend. Particularly difficult on roads on which overtaking opportunities are either few and far between or dangerous (more on that below). I'm sure people will argue otherwise but braking to as low as 20mph at a small bend in the road is hazardous driving. It's the unpredictability of it and you find yourself having to drive increasingly slowly yourself to react to the haphazard nature of their driving.

At the opposite end of the scale the utte roasters who fly up the wrong side of the road from 6 or 7 cars back with no clear view of the road ahead due to a bend or dip. I'm sure they just close their eyes and pray, a few close shaves witnessed this weekend.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    My mate went into the back of someone at that junction, he hit the brakes and slid on the cobbles. I’ve seen it happen loads of times, as you say it’s normally around this time of year.
    I don't think it's the point you're making, but roads can be dodgy at this time of year (something I've noticed in the slightly drier climate here in Brittany).

An extended period without rain lets pollution - oily residue & even tiny bits of rubber from tyres -build up on road surfaces making them slippy, made even worse by a fine skin of moisture.

It caused me to have a fortunately non serious accident a few years ago.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    I think this was covered at length recently but really tentative drivers on roads with speed limits of 50mph+.

I understand there are occasions when someone may have to drive exceptionally slowly for good reason but it's quite difficult to be behind someone driving at 30 on a road with a 60 limit, in perfect conditions like this weekend, who brakes sharply at every other bend. Particularly difficult on roads on which overtaking opportunities are either few and far between or dangerous (more on that below). I'm sure people will argue otherwise but braking to as low as 20mph at a small bend in the road is hazardous driving. It's the unpredictability of it and you find yourself having to drive increasingly slowly yourself to react to the haphazard nature of their driving.

At the opposite end of the scale the utte roasters who fly up the wrong side of the road from 6 or 7 cars back with no clear view of the road ahead due to a bend or dip. I'm sure they just close their eyes and pray, a few close shaves witnessed this weekend.
    I'll probably take stick for this but driving is not just about getting from A to B. Recreational drivers have as much right to the road as people who just want to get somewhere. If you really need to be somewhere at a certain time, then take delays into account when planning your route.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    I'll probably take stick for this but driving is not just about getting from A to B. Recreational drivers have as much right to the road as people who just want to get somewhere. If you really need to be somewhere at a certain time, then take delays into account when planning your route.
    Driving for recreational purposes is fine but the nervous wrecks who drive like Mr Magoo should not be on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    If you're driving for recreational purposes, you can pull over regularly to let queued traffic pass you.