hibs.net Messageboard

Page 67 of 115 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 2,010 of 3436
    @hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm a senior citizen and after reading this thread if I catch my speedo dipping below 60 at all on the M9 tomorrow I'm going to admit I'm a disgrace and hand in my licence the day after.
    No-one is saying that though. If you are driving at 45mph for the sake of it on the M9 , then that is wrong and it wouldn't matter what age you are.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    People who don't have the mental or physical faculties to make good progress on a straight road with no pedestrians, T junctions or any of the other complexities and risk factors of normal roads should absolutely not be driving at all.
    You can make good progress at 45-50 mph. What you're basically saying is that 70 should not only be maximum speed limit but also minimum, that's mental.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    I'm a senior citizen and after reading this thread if I catch my speedo dipping below 60 at all on the M9 tomorrow I'm going to admit I'm a disgrace and hand in my licence the day after.
    To be clear I've never mentioned elderly or senior citizens. I was responding to a point about people who are physically or mentally incapable of making good progress on a motorway. I'm perfectly comfortable with folk choosing to drive at 60 as long as it's not their lack of physical or mental faculties that's limiting them. I'm not comfortable with folk driving at 45mph as that's a massive inconvenience to other road users.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    You can make good progress at 45-50 mph. What you're basically saying is that 70 should not only be maximum speed limit but also minimum, that's mental.
    I think you'll find that the police would absolutely not consider 45mph to be "making good progress" on a motorway in normal conditions. Having attended a Bikesafe course with police motorcyclists I can attest to that. Incidentally neither would an advanced driving instructor.

I think you'll find that the police would absolutely not consider 45mph to be "making good progress" on a motorway in normal conditions. Having attended a Bikesafe course with police motorcyclists I can attest to that. Incidentally neither would an advanced driving instructor.
    You shouldn't have posted that. He won't believe your anecdotal evidence.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    No-one is saying that though. If you are driving at 45mph for the sake of it on the M9 , then that is wrong and it wouldn't matter what age you are.
    As anybody who drives the M9 regularly knows, getting one of those cranes from Falkirk on the road up ahead creates a huge tailback as two lanes have to merge into one. 45mph drivers aren't much better. 60+ is fine as the two lanes then stay pretty well balanced so traffic throughput is maintained.

If a two (or more) lane road is even moderately busy, driving at an unusually low speed is a hazard. I don't think that's arguable.

If witnessed over a relatively short period by the police, the driver would be pulled over and likely fined.

No, they're not. You're talking about people not having the mental or physical faculties to drive on an entirely straight road. I'm saying if that's the case they should be nowhere near a situation where little kids could dash out in front of them as they clearly wouldn't have the capability to react.
    No I'm not, I'm talking about people having the choice to drive at the speed they feel comfortable with within limits. Driving at 70 gives you a breaking distance of about 126m, at 20 that would be about 10.2m. That's definitely 2 different kettles of fish.

@hibs.net private member
    You shouldn't have posted that. He won't believe your anecdotal evidence.
    To be fair, those guys were pretty clear that the speed limit was a target and could be exceeded when safe! The phrase "make good progress" was used a lot.

@hibs.net private member
    No I'm not, I'm talking about people having the choice to drive at the speed they feel comfortable with within limits. Driving at 70 gives you a breaking distance of about 126m, at 20 that would be about 10.2m. That's definitely 2 different kettles of fish.
    You literally posted about mental and physical capabilities. If a driver lacks the physical and mental capabilities to be safe on a motorway they're unsafe anywhere else too.

As anybody who drives the M9 regularly knows, getting one of those cranes from Falkirk on the road up ahead creates a huge tailback as two lanes have to merge into one. 45mph drivers aren't much better. 60+ is fine as the two lanes then stay pretty well balanced so traffic throughput is maintained.
    To be fair, those guys were pretty clear that the speed limit was a target and could be exceeded when safe! The phrase "make good progress" was used a lot.
    I'm genuinely relived that we are now getting some common sense on this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    If a two (or more) lane road is even moderately busy, driving at an unusually low speed is a hazard. I don't think that's arguable.

If witnessed over a relatively short period by the police, the driver would be pulled over and likely fined.
    And more common sense. Although with the bit in bold it seems that some people do think its arguable

@hibs.net private member

It would appear from the last several pages of this thread that it's very much arguable if you're so inclined.

Nobody is saying it isn't an inconvenience or even a hazard , it's just not the hazard it's being blown up to be by some and can be easily neutralised by careful and considerate driving.

That's utter bollocks, try getting out of a speeding fine by saying it was safe.

@hibs.net private member
    Nobody is saying it isn't an inconvenience or even a hazard , it's just not the hazard it's being blown up to be by some and can be easily neutralised by careful and considerate driving.
    Lolz at me neutralising the next mile long tailback I'm in by simply driving carefully and considerately. Can't wait to try it and watch the cars in front simply evaporate.

You actually stated that, quote, "people should be able to drive within the speed limit according to their personal capabilities". If you are now saying it is an inconvenience an hazard to others to drive at whatever speed they like below the limit, I'm sure you'll retract your previous statement.

You literally posted about mental and physical capabilities. If a driver lacks the physical and mental capabilities to be safe on a motorway they're unsafe anywhere else too.
    That was an example of why some drivers might not feel comfortable driving at 70, doesn't mean they can't.

@hibs.net private member
    That's utter bollocks, try getting out of a speeding fine by saying it was safe.
    Jesus wept you're now telling me that me quoting the words that came directly from a police motorcyclists in a bikesafe course full of people who are literally there to learn to keep themselves safe on the road is bollocks?

@hibs.net private member
    That was an example of why some drivers might not feel comfortable driving at 70, doesn't mean they can't.
    In all honesty if your driving is as erratic as your arguments on this thread it might not be a bad idea to pop down to the police station and hand in your licence.

You actually stated that, quote, "people should be able to drive within the speed limit according to their personal capabilities". If you are now saying it is an inconvenience an hazard to others to drive at whatever speed they like below the limit, I'm sure you'll retract your previous statement.

I don't think I did.

Jesus wept you're now telling me that me quoting the words that came directly from a police motorcyclists in a bikesafe course full of people who are literally there to learn to keep themselves safe on the road is bollocks?
    So you think that would get you out of a speeding fine?

I don't think I did.
    No real surprise that you are wrong again - from three pages ago:

Yes, but I also agree that people should be able to drive within the speed limit according to their personal capabilities, road, weather and traffic conditions.

Someone travelling at 45mph on a dual carriageway is less likely to cause congestion than someone travelling at 58mph.

In all honesty if your driving is as erratic as your arguments on this thread it might not be a bad idea to pop down to the police station and hand in your licence.
    My argument is pretty consistent, there is no minimum speed limit.

@hibs.net private member
    So you think that would get you out of a speeding fine?
    A) I was quoting someone else so what I think is irrelevant. B) If you're driving at 65mph on a 60mph with no hazards in good conditions you're not going to get stopped by the police anyway.

No real surprise that you are wrong again - from three pages ago:
    Driving at 70 can be a hazard and more accidents are caused by people driving 70 than 45, your own statistic posted earlier proved that. 2 deaths due to a contributing factor of slow driving, that's about 0.001%. What's your point?

Driving at 70 can be a hazard and more accidents are caused by people driving 70 than 45, your own statistic posted earlier proved that. 2 deaths due to a contributing factor of slow driving, that's about 0.001%. What's your point?
    You are all over the place, changing your argument constantly, posting inaccuracies, and you have no idea what you have or haven't said previously. I've explained my point several times now which has nothing to do with cars going too fast. If you don't understand the point by now then there really is no point going on. If this was a boxing match your corner would have thrown the towel in long before now.

I couldn't put it better than this:

You are all over the place, changing your argument constantly, posting inaccuracies, and you have no idea what you have or haven't said previously. I've explained my point several times now which has nothing to do with cars going too fast. If you don't understand the point by now then there really is no point going on. If this was a boxing match your corner would have thrown the towel in long before now.

I couldn't put it better than this:
    I've been nothing other than consistent in my posts. There is no default minimum speed limit. Slow driving is a contributing factor in a very small minority of traffic accidents but even then, the main reason for those accidents will be something else, probably police officers teaching people it's ok to drive faster than the speed limit.

A) I was quoting someone else so what I think is irrelevant. B) If you're driving at 65mph on a 60mph with no hazards in good conditions you're not going to get stopped by the police anyway.
    You're very unlikely to get stopped by the police unless the cameras alert them. Somebody earlier in this thread said that routine traffic patrols no longer happen and they only attend fatal accidents

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    You've posted that much irrelevant nonsense on this thread, it was quite easy to miss.

We can't know for sure if there is a valid reason I agree, but there really is very little reason for driving at low speeds, so I don't think giving the benefit of the doubt to the driver is sensible. Either way, the crux of this entire argument is that earlier you indicated that people should be able to drive within the limit at whatever speed they like based on their driving capabilities. Do you stand by that view? If you do, I'm worried.
    You have got me mixed up with another sensible poster. I never mentioned a driver's capability. But I have tried to explain to you, the only one seemingly arguing that driving slow is more dangerous than driving fast. And that neither you nor I can know what the reason for anyone else's action is. I've given umpteen examples for why the car was being driven slower than you want, which you have ignored. That is worrying as it shows you have no awareness of other road users.

It is interesting that Dazzling Doidge, who first came across the slower driver, has passed the car and moved on, whilst you are clearly stuck behind the slow car and fuming as everyone else overtakes you. 😉
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Are you deliberately being this obtuse for a reason? Like seriously? You MUST be on the wind up? I can't actually believe im having to explain this.

The comparison with people going too fast is completely irrelevant because nobody, not one person, is making irresponsible claims that driving too fast and carelessly is not dangerous. Its not a part of my argument. How can't you see that?

It changes nothing about the fact that slow driving can be dangerous. Wake up man ffs!
    How is the comparison irrelevant.

You have a 1 in 1000 chance of being in a serious accident by going slow compared to a 999 chance in 1000 when not going slowly. Now you can see the reason why a comparison is very relevant. Driving slowly resulting in a lower chance of a serious accident really doesn't help your argument, you should be a politician. 😂
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.