hibs.net Messageboard

Page 58 of 114 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108 ... LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,740 of 3414
    @hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Perhaps that's because when walking on pathways the etiquette is to walk on the left! Ramblers etc. Indeed even in the city within our very own Waverley Station you are asked to keep to the left. I'd imagine other UK railway stations say the same.

The Highway Code isn't specific for individuals pavement walking. It does suggest though that you should not stay close to the kerb when your back is to the traffic i.e. keep to the left of the pavement!

The rule for walking, where there is no pavement, is generally face the oncoming traffic, keep right.

To be fair there's general anarchy for path and pavement walking.
    Has anyone mentioned pedestrians walking right down the middle of the pavement?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    Has anyone mentioned pedestrians walking right down the middle of the pavement?

About 300 times on the other Pet Peeves thread

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Private hire drivers, stopping in the middle of the road mucking about with a sat nav phone speakers and oblivious to the hassle they cause.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    Private hire drivers, stopping in the middle of the road mucking about with a sat nav phone speakers and oblivious to the hassle they cause.
    "Drivers"? Do you even know what the word means?😁😛

It's official!

I saw this on a walk this afternoon and thought of you guys!

20210228_152707.jpg
    Space to let

The state of Edinburgh's roads, for cycling and driving. Not tried either in the weege for a while - are all cities in the same state as Edinburgh?

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibeeg
    The state of Edinburgh's roads, for cycling and driving. Not tried either in the weege for a while - are all cities in the same state as Edinburgh?
    No, Edinburgh has its own special category of dangerous roads compared to other cities, they are truly shocking.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Buses that don't use the bus lane.

Half the roads in the country need resurfacing.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    People who don't reverse park. It's much safer as you can edge out of a space and see clearly in both directions much sooner, and also it makes it much easier for the person parked next to you to see on the way out as well. There's a car on my street whose owner apparently can't reverse park, so doesn't.

Our car park is basically a big square with all the parking spaces around the outside. When it snowed, a lot of spaces were cleared but it means the back half of the space still had some snow - no problem if you reverse in as your wheels with drive would be on tarmac.

As this person - who I need to point out drives a Fiat 500 - clearly didn't want to reverse in, she parked on the main square bit, in a corner so her tiny little Fiat 500 blocked off four perfectly good spaces.

It's part of the driving test, if you can't reverse park without a really valid reason for not doing so, your license should be revoked.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    2 of my mates, both in their 60s, have never reverse parked since their tests. Both passed when they were 17. It would be "ah, pavement job!". Used to drive me nuts!

@hibs.net private member
    [QUOTE=Northernhibee;6491658]People who don't reverse park.

I live in a small cul de sac where if everyone parks correctly can take 9/10 cars. Out of every driver I am the only one who reverse parks. (In fact I reverse park everywhere). I see my neighbours reversing/edging out on to a fairly busy road, trying to negotiate between the cars parked on either side of the cul de sac, whilst I jump in the car and drive out without any issues. I just don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    People who don't reverse park. It's much safer as you can edge out of a space and see clearly in both directions much sooner, and also it makes it much easier for the person parked next to you to see on the way out as well. There's a car on my street whose owner apparently can't reverse park, so doesn't.

Our car park is basically a big square with all the parking spaces around the outside. When it snowed, a lot of spaces were cleared but it means the back half of the space still had some snow - no problem if you reverse in as your wheels with drive would be on tarmac.

As this person - who I need to point out drives a Fiat 500 - clearly didn't want to reverse in, she parked on the main square bit, in a corner so her tiny little Fiat 500 blocked off four perfectly good spaces.

It's part of the driving test, if you can't reverse park without a really valid reason for not doing so, your license should be revoked.

That is irritating, but I'll go one further and say that people that park on the wrong side of the road are absolutely stupid, and dangerous.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Peanut Shaz;6491824]
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    People who don't reverse park.

I live in a small cul de sac where if everyone parks correctly can take 9/10 cars. Out of every driver I am the only one who reverse parks. (In fact I reverse park everywhere). I see my neighbours reversing/edging out on to a fairly busy road, trying to negotiate between the cars parked on either side of the cul de sac, whilst I jump in the car and drive out without any issues. I just don't get it.
    Oddly I find it easier to reverse in than go in frontways.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    That is irritating, but I'll go one further and say that people that park on the wrong side of the road are absolutely stupid, and dangerous.
    You're so German.

[QUOTE=Northernhibee;6492171]
    Quote Originally Posted by Peanut Shaz View Post

Oddly I find it easier to reverse in than go in frontways.
    Same here but I'll always forward park when shopping, just makes it easier to load the car.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Reverse parking - I always try to do it if I can and it's suitable, but I got pulled up by a "Sheriff" in Florida a few years back as I reversed in to a space at a Walmart or similar. Apparently you have to drive in forwards there, something to do with shopping carts and visible registration plates.
    Thankfully I wasn't night-sticked or shot as is their ways sometimes, just a little chat and "on yer way!".

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    I never reverse park as i usually need to get tools from the boot.
    Thats my excuse.
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Most big firms here who have their own employee car parks impose reverse parking. I think it's to avoid accidents when everyone stoories out at 5.30pm or whenever.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    2 of my mates, both in their 60s, have never reverse parked since their tests. Both passed when they were 17. It would be "ah, pavement job!". Used to drive me nuts!
    Maybe never been able to. Not part of the test back then

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    He must have got it in his lessons then. I honestly couldn't tell you what I got in my test.

@hibs.net private member
    I'm 63, passed my test at 18. Sure there was parallel parking in the test then?
    I avoid it like the plague now, though!

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    He must have got it in his lessons then. I honestly couldn't tell you what I got in my test.
    In the 80's it was emergency stop, 3 point turn, hill start, reverse round corner, drive about a bit, couple of braking distances and half a dozen road signs on a flip chart. Lot less bother than the all the carry on now. Where would you get a basin of water to immerse somebody's burnt arm for 20 minutes after they been in a crash miles from anywhere? That's one of the theory questions.

Quote Originally Posted by oneone73 View Post
    I'm 63, passed my test at 18. Sure there was parallel parking in the test then?
    I avoid it like the plague now, though!
    87 I passed and i'm sure it was a few years after that parking was included in test. Certainly no reverse parking in my test.

87 I passed and i'm sure it was a few years after that parking was included in test. Certainly no reverse parking in my test.
    I spent 3 hours practicing reverse parking and reversing round corners in the driving school yesterday. It's not quite so straight forward (pardon the pun) in a 40t 18.75m long vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    I spent 3 hours practicing reverse parking and reversing round corners in the driving school yesterday. It's not quite so straight forward (pardon the pun) in a 40t 18.75m long vehicle.
    It's good watching the new drivers go from hopeless to old pro's in 2 or 3 weeks.

Where would you get a basin of water to immerse somebody's burnt arm for 20 minutes after they been in a crash miles from anywhere? That's one of the theory questions.
    Probably in France you have to carry one with you, just in case, like all the other stuff the French make you lug around.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    Going back to the road layout outside Omni heading westbound, unless I was blind before it appears they have re done the road markings. The left lane is for York place and right lane for Broughton Street.clearly marked now. I noticed it a few weeks back and not seen anyone cut from the right since.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibee87 View Post
    Going back to the road layout outside Omni heading westbound, unless I was blind before it appears they have re done the road markings. The left lane is for York place and right lane for Broughton Street.clearly marked now. I noticed it a few weeks back and not seen anyone cut from the right since.
    Saw a guy today take the left lane and then go down Broughton St. How he figured that would be a good idea I can't imagine.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Most big firms here who have their own employee car parks impose reverse parking. I think it's to avoid accidents when everyone stoories out at 5.30pm or whenever.
    SSE in Perth is the same after a few accidents when they first opened the new office at inveralmond.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.