hibs.net Messageboard

Page 50 of 114 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,500 of 3414
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Having to just give up your licence at 70 is utter bollox to me. Thinking of older (say late 70s+) drivers I know/knew, almost all of them realised themselves when their time was up. But I do admit there is a problem with some old people's driving skills deteriorating. I would hope that their GPs could play a part by advising them if they thought that reactions etc were diminishing but this obviously isn't going to completely solve it.
    On reflection I think an age limit is wrong, but I do think a test of some sort when you reach a certain age would be a sensible way to go.

United we stand here....

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    So we’re agreed then? At the age of 70 you have to resit a driving test every year.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Why resit your test at 70 or any age? Why not do it every 5 or ten years. Some of the worst driving you will ever see is from folk in their 20s. I passed my test when I was 17 and now more than 34 years later no one has ever checked to see how good bad or indifferent my driving is.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    Why resit your test at 70 or any age? Why not do it every 5 or ten years. Some of the worst driving you will ever see is from folk in their 20s. I passed my test when I was 17 and now more than 34 years later no one has ever checked to see how good bad or indifferent my driving is.
    Can't see it happening. Would put too many jobs at risk.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    I'd agree that some of the most reckless driving I've seen over the years is mostly deliberate behaviour from "younger" drivers, but I've also witnessed a shed load of potentially dangerous (but not intentionally so) driving from driver's that I'd politely class as senior citizens.
    Having a threshold where a competence check is carried out can't be a bad thing?
    And I realise you're not questioning your own abilities by using the elapsed years from testing to today for effect, but it genuinely isn't a bad idea to have your driving appraised by taking a 1-2 hour refresher lesson or going through an IAM Advanced Driving Course.
    I've been driving for 28 years and reckon I've had my driving appraised every 10 years through my work (3rd largest fleet in UK) and putting myself through a motorbike test as well as a one off advanced driver lesson.
    For as much as we all think we're competent drivers at worst, Lewis Hamilton at best, I'll happily admit that I did pick up some tips and had some minor traits corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    Can't see it happening. Would put too many jobs at risk.
    Considering the amount of folk that are killed on our roads each year, never mind injured, perhaps that's even more reason to have our fitness & competence to drive checked on a more regular basis. Would probably actually create jobs of anything.

@hibs.net private member ACLeith's Avatar
    And after the chat about 70+ and tests I nearly was involved in an accident this afternoon!

Driving along Great Junction Street towards the Ferry Road lights, a cyclist drove off the far pavement, cut across the road, oblivious to me (he certainly couldn’t hear me cause he had earphones in), saw me at the last moment and swerved away. He smiled inanely when he saw me say “that was a bit silly old chap!”

Cyclists of all ages should have to prove they gave even opened the Highway Code 😡😡
    Last edited by ACLeith; 24-10-2020 at 04:19 PM.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    On reflection I think an age limit is wrong, but I do think a test of some sort when you reach a certain age would be a sensible way to go.
    65 wouldn't necessarily be too young for that.

Just for a laugh I'm going to suggest anyone that doesn't pass their test first time shouldn't get another chance.

After all being a competent driver only 50% of the time just isn't good enough. Don't get me started on those individuals regularly congratulated in the media for their perseverance at passing at their 30th attempt!

@hibs.net private member ACLeith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Just for a laugh I'm going to suggest anyone that doesn't pass their test first time shouldn't get another chance.
    If you pass first time you think you know it all, passing second time means you combine confidence with carefulness.

PS guess how many times I sat my test??

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Any cyclists been in the new bike lanes yet?

While the lanes themselves look wide enough, they've plonked stone bases on the inside of the white line,which reduces their width. Not sure I fancy them on a windy day, or when the gutter is full of slippy leaves.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Any cyclists been in the new bike lanes yet?

While the lanes themselves look wide enough, they've plonked stone bases on the inside of the white line,which reduces their width. Not sure I fancy them on a windy day, or when the gutter is full of slippy leaves.
    They're not great for overtaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    Maybe it's because they're afraid of getting hit by another clown turning right from the main road who can't turn a corner. I often wonder if they just don't have a clue or if they do it deliberately?

i see clowns in both directions. I agree with you, so many folk who cut the corner badly when turning right from the main road.

it’s as bad with the folk turning left from the main road, many go so wide they’re well into the lane going in the opposite direction! And get humpty when the people waiting to turn left or right get annoyed at their car almost getting hit, just because other drivers can’t judge speed and/or the angle of the corner

@hibs.net private member EH6 Hibby's Avatar
    I know this will have been raised on this thread before, (maybe even by me), but why do some people not indicate? I’m genuinely interested, by the law of averages, there must be some people on here that don’t do it. Will anyone own up to it and explain their reasoning for it? I’d say laziness, but how hard is it to flick a lever that is 2 centimetres from your hand? I honestly can’t think of any reasons behind it.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    People who brake, brake, brake then indicate to let the world know where they intend to go. Rips my knitting.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by EH6 Hibby View Post
    I know this will have been raised on this thread before, (maybe even by me), but why do some people not indicate? I’m genuinely interested, by the law of averages, there must be some people on here that don’t do it. Will anyone own up to it and explain their reasoning for it? I’d say laziness, but how hard is it to flick a lever that is 2 centimetres from your hand? I honestly can’t think of any reasons behind it.
    Great question. Would love to know the answer to this as well.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Great question. Would love to know the answer to this as well.

especially those people who think they’re not needed at roundabouts!

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    One of my friends once told me I was so good at indicating at roundabouts

You’re supposed to be!

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Nearly as bad as those who don’t know when to indicate on a roundabout.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Nearly as bad as those who don’t know when to indicate on a roundabout.

, and those who have no idea of lane discipline on roundabouts

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    , and those who have no idea of lane discipline on roundabouts
    That is a belter. I have dented a few doors while on my bike due to fuds who don't understand the rounda bit of roundabout and think it's ok to go straight over, even when someone is inside them

@hibs.net private member Future17's Avatar
    That is a belter. I have dented a few doors while on my bike due to fuds who don't understand the rounda bit of roundabout and think it's ok to go straight over, even when someone is inside them
    Maybe they just prefer the "bout" aspect.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Low emission zones, however well intended they may be.

If you want to reduce the amount of cars in city centres then you need to make public transport affordable, reliable and efficient.

Taking older cars out of the city centre impacts people who drive them, often because that’s what they can afford. If they commute in, forcing them out of where the work often is forcea them into unaffordable finance deals or not getting to work at all, public transport is truly no cheaper than driving from my experience (in fact, often more expensive).

I get the feeling that LEZ’s are there because they’re easiest, not most efficient at tackling pollution.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    They're not great for overtaking.
    I rode one the other day. There's not a lot of room for error 😱

People who get to the pump at the petrol station, and sit in their car for ages!!!

Got to the garage this morning, no empty pumps so waiting behind 2 cars sitting at the pumps in front of me. The farthest one, the guy is just starting to put the fuel, all good.

The nearest car, can't see anyone, assume they're in the shop, after sitting for minutes, someone opens the driver's door, farts about with their mask, then the gloves!!! What have you been doing, and stop faffing about!!!

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    People who get to the pump at the petrol station, and sit in their car for ages!!!

Got to the garage this morning, no empty pumps so waiting behind 2 cars sitting at the pumps in front of me. The farthest one, the guy is just starting to put the fuel, all good.

The nearest car, can't see anyone, assume they're in the shop, after sitting for minutes, someone opens the driver's door, farts about with their mask, then the gloves!!! What have you been doing, and stop faffing about!!!
    The people who queue at pumps when there is a vacant one, but not on the right side for their fuel cap. Having said that, I was able to go in and fill up this morning without having to wait, like everyone else.

Agree with the point about people who take ages. The car in front of me was paying at the pump, I arrived, filled up, went into the kiosk and paid, and I was quicker than she was.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Probably said too many times before, but ignorant drivers!
    Cityfibre works on South Gyle Crescent. The road is down to virtually one lane in one direction adjacent to Gregg's. If I can, I'll stop and let larger vehicles/buses pass in the other direction, when I do I invariably get an acknowledgment from the drivers, but then behind them are all the ignoramuses who, I can only assume, maybe think I've just stopped in the middle of nowhere for no particular reason.
    Very few of them acknowledge me stopping when I could just plough through (their lane is obstructed). And without sounding sexist, it is quite often the ladies out there that fail to stick a thumb up or an open palm of thanks!

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    The people who queue at pumps when there is a vacant one, but not on the right side for their fuel cap. Having said that, I was able to go in and fill up this morning without having to wait, like everyone else.

Agree with the point about people who take ages. The car in front of me was paying at the pump, I arrived, filled up, went into the kiosk and paid, and I was quicker than she was.
    I agree on the petrol pump one, the queue is created by folk only wanting to use the correct side for their car, daftness personified.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Probably been covered, but drivers not acknowledging you when you have given way. I've been driving on single track roads yesterday and today. Most people are good at a wave or lift a hand, but white van drivers seem to think it's OK to ignore you.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Drivers who don’t fully go into the turning lane and hang over into the outside lane. There’s plenty of room for you get your vehicle fully in there, so do it!