hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 114 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EH6 Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Someone mentioned Sherrifhall Roundabout earlier, I will add Hermiston Gait and Newbridge to the list of roundabouts that I am incapable of going round without someone beeping at me. I don't get these roundabouts at all, how are you supposed to know what lane you are supposed to be in? I approach and check the signs and road markings and choose the correct lane, I then follow that lane round the roundabout and then suddenly the lane I'm in changes to a different road exit, how do you then get in to the correct lane? If you try to merge into the correct lane the person behind you beeps at you or the person in the lane you are trying to move to beeps at you. How does everyone else seem to know that the lane is going to change, and how come they don't get beeped at when they must have started off in the wrong lane in order to end up in the right one? I get so stressed out when I have to go round any of these big roundabouts.
    Thank the lord I’m not the only one.

I totally get how people going in the same round about every day learn what lane to go in and how to deal with it but when it’s the first time I don’t know how folk do it.

There’s markings are on the road in most cases however it can’t only be me that notices when you’re approaching these roundabouts there’s normally other cars there covering up these instructions?!

Fully expect and prepared to be mocked for these questions but I don’t care.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post

I totally get how people going in the same round about every day learn what lane to go in and how to deal with it but when it’s the first time I don’t know how folk do it.

There’s markings are on the road in most cases however it can’t only be me that notices when you’re approaching these roundabouts there’s normally other cars there covering up these instructions?!

Living in France, this is the only thing that stops my head literally () exploding on a daily basis.

Up until the 70s/80s the French weren't that big on roundabouts - now they've gone mental with them and install them at every opportunity.

There are 2 problems with this;

1. Many French drivers weren't taught how to use roundabouts as they hardly existed when they learned to drive.

2. The majority of roundabouts, especially in town, have no signs beforehand to tell you what's happening, so unless you're familiar with a specific roundabout or are using a GPS, there's absolutely no way of knowing what lane you're meant to be in.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I take it you agree with the whole taxi tank thing then. 😉
    Absolutely, along with adhering to double yellow lines, clearways, and other parking/stopping restrictions.

There are signs, either overhead or at the side of the road, which tell you which lane you need to get into. These are usually well ahead of the roundabout where the road markings will confirm that you've picked the wrong one.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar

Don’t get me started on people that stick to the 20mph limit though, that’s unforgivable.
    Surely even you must forgive those of us that HAVE to drive at the posted limits for fear of losing our jobs?!?
    As I said in a post above, I don't mind if folk pass me as I bimble along at 20 but don't get all aggro because I either choose to obey the limit or as is more the case I'm forced to obey by the in-cab spy!
    Last edited by speedy_gonzales; 20-02-2018 at 03:20 PM.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    There’s an awful lot of perfect drivers on this thread.

I know this won’t go down well but I’m going to admit to it.......

There has been occasions when approaching a roundabout that I’m not familiar with I’ve found myself in the wrong lane.

Apologies to all concerned and to those that have been kind enough to let me in I thank you!

Don’t get me started on people that stick to the 20mph limit though, that’s unforgivable.

Its the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Its the law.
    It was only tongue and cheek.

It is a pain in the arse being stuck behind someone doing 20mph though and despite it being the law I doubt anything would happen if you were to get up t the dizzy heights of 25mph.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Its the law.
    I'll guarantee if you drive along Craigentinny Road and back once a day for a week you'd struggle to find anyone doing 20.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    I take it you agree with the whole taxi tank thing then. 😉
    Don't give them tanks ffs.

Quote Originally Posted by EH6 Hibby View Post

Someone mentioned Sherrifhall Roundabout earlier, I will add Hermiston Gait and Newbridge to the list of roundabouts that I am incapable of going round without someone beeping at me. I don't get these roundabouts at all, how are you supposed to know what lane you are supposed to be in? I approach and check the signs and road markings and choose the correct lane, I then follow that lane round the roundabout and then suddenly the lane I'm in changes to a different road exit, how do you then get in to the correct lane? If you try to merge into the correct lane the person behind you beeps at you or the person in the lane you are trying to move to beeps at you. How does everyone else seem to know that the lane is going to change, and how come they don't get beeped at when they must have started off in the wrong lane in order to end up in the right one? I get so stressed out when I have to go round any of these big roundabouts.
    The correct way to get round Sheriffhall and these other roundabouts is to have already done it several times before.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    Folk who block junctions by entering the cross hatched box when there is no way of getting out of it. Then when tbe lights change and they're stuck there blocking the traffic, they give you the hand gesture as if to say where I am I supposed to go. You shouldn't have entered in the first place you ****** halfwit if you couldn't exit it.
    Also, folk who don't understand the difference between a yellow box junction and the yellow paint which marks it out. Don't enter these junctions if there's no exit whether or not there's yellow paint on the road! Ditto the difference between lanes on a road and lane markings. Many roundabouts have two lanes going right round them, but no lane markings. Stick to your lane, whether it's marked on the road or not!

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    People who are impatient with learner drivers.

I was stuck behind a learner today along seafield and while I was being a considerate driver etc the guy behind me couldn’t have been more annoyed, he was right up behind me the whole time waving his arms about then just obviously lost patience and floored it to overtake me and also the learner.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    This is not my peeve, but one i dont understand and see increasingly moans about on social media (might be better in the peeve thread) but people who get upset when someone parks outside their house or in 'their space' when its a public street parking.

Ive seen people on FB boast about blocking a car in ecause it was in their bit, or sending photos of a car trying to find out whos it is. Ita a punlic place so eff off and mind yer own.

I acrually had someone come out her house to tell me to move and claimed she would key the car if i didnt move, why does this anger people so much?

Quote Originally Posted by Hibee87 View Post
    This is not my peeve, but one i dont understand and see increasingly moans about on social media (might be better in the peeve thread) but people who get upset when someone parks outside their house or in 'their space' when its a public street parking.

Ive seen people on FB boast about blocking a car in ecause it was in their bit, or sending photos of a car trying to find out whos it is. Ita a punlic place so eff off and mind yer own.

I acrually had someone come out her house to tell me to move and claimed she would key the car if i didnt move, why does this anger people so much?
    I had a flatmate who parked her car outside a house in Cramond. The owner phoned the polis and described it as "abandoned". Polis phoned the flatmate's parents in England to say her car had been abandoned. Parents on the phone to me, up to high doh, thinking their daughter was lying murdered in a ditch somewhere. Flatmate had been uncontactable in the Dunfermline College library for a couple of hours. No doubt the polis handled it badly but that house owner deserved a smack in the mooth.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    It was only tongue and cheek.

It is a pain in the arse being stuck behind someone doing 20mph though and despite it being the law I doubt anything would happen if you were to get up t the dizzy heights of 25mph.
    I bet if someone hit your kid at 25mph in a 20 zone you'd be happy to let them away with it...

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    People who don’t understand that if you aren’t a taxi, you’re not supposed to stop in a taxi rank for any amount of time. It doesn’t matter if you’re only popping in for a paper or picking your mum up from the station, you’re interfering with working vehicles providing public transport so stop being so selfish. 🤨

Would you have the same attitude if it were bus stops we were talking about?
    That's what happens when one group of people think because they are driving a working vehicle they can drive like erseholes (not all of them). Folk then enjoy a bit of tit for tat retribution. Nothing better to brighten your day than the irony of a taxi driver complaining about you stopping or parking where you are not allowed to.
    Last edited by Scouse Hibee; 20-02-2018 at 08:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bee View Post
    Car drivers who don't have the patience to sit behind lorries for sometimes as few as 1 mile, especially when the car drivers are only nipping out for a paper, fags, visit the inlaws or any other needless journey they think demands that lorry drivers should get out their way, who incidentally have to tramp the same old roads day in day out, sometimes doing 15hr shifts just to deliver the things the aforementioned car drivers have ordered and have no idea what exactly lorry drivers go through to get it to them on time. Really does my head in that.

To be fair (and I do accept your point ), there are a lot of car drivers who are on the road for business reasons as well

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    I bet if someone hit your kid at 25mph in a 20 zone you'd be happy to let them away with it...
    Id certainly be asking why they were driving on the pavement, that’s for sure.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Id certainly be asking why they were driving on the pavement, that’s for sure.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee_girl View Post
    People who are impatient with learner drivers.

I was stuck behind a learner today along seafield and while I was being a considerate driver etc the guy behind me couldn’t have been more annoyed, he was right up behind me the whole time waving his arms about then just obviously lost patience and floored it to overtake me and also the learner.

My driving lessons were fairly straightforward but it never helped when you had someone impatient behind you, either trying to get you to speed up by tailgating or trying to overtake when it wasn't justified.

We've all been there as learners, it's no big ask to give them a bit of space and patience.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Driving is awful. It brings out the worst in people.
    I know it does in me.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Drivers who just have to vent their aggression.

I was turning right a few weeks ago at the bottom of Kaimes Road, admittedly I made a mistake and caused someone turning right into Kaimes Road to brake. We wound down windows and I held my hands up and apologised, this wasn't good enough for the other guy though who then started to abuse me, swearing, name calling etc. What's that all about? Mistakes happen,it wan't as if it was even a near collision.

@hibs.net private member
    Talking of roundabouts, I always find the one at Cameron Toll confusing. I use it fairly regularly but always get in a mini panic about the lanes. Probably really straightforward and more of a mental block with me but I hate it.

I was turning right a few weeks ago at the bottom of Kaimes Road, admittedly I made a mistake and caused someone turning right into Kaimes Road to brake. We wound down windows and I held my hands up and apologised, this wasn't good enough for the other guy though who then started to abuse me, swearing, name calling etc. What's that all about? Mistakes happen,it wan't as if it was even a near collision.
    We all get a bit angry due to the depersonalisation of situations because you’re in a car but an apology like that should be the end of anything.. Sounds like a prick who probably has a scared wife.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

We all get a bit angry due to the depersonalisation of situations because you’re in a car but an apology like that should be the end of anything.. Sounds like a prick who probably has no sex life and a tiny boaby.
    Eh... Fixed that for you.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar

That’s annoys me as well. Everyone makes wee mistakes from time to time when driving. As long as the person puts their hand up and apologises, then you just acknowledge it and move on. There’s no need for the ridiculous aggression from some people. If only they could see their screwed up red faces when they’re shouting at other road users. It’s laughable tbh.

United we stand here....

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    That’s annoys me as well. Everyone makes wee mistakes from time to time when driving. As long as the person puts their hand up and apologises, then you just acknowledge it and move on. There’s no need for the ridiculous aggression from some people. If only they could see their screwed up red faces when they’re shouting at other road users. It’s laughable tbh.

Imagine if we all had guns

3pts away from home - i'm a happy glory hunter. jonty's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: jonty Wii Code: 7580 5998 4272 1376
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    Imagine if we all had guns
    just arm the taxi drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Driving is awful. It brings out the worst in people.
    I know it does in me.
    Number One Son “Can I watch that movie, Mum?”
    Wife “No, it’s got too much swearing!”
    Number One Son “Don’t worry, I know all the swear words already!”
    Wife “ How do you know all the swear words?”
    Number One Son “From Daddy. In the car!”

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonty View Post
    just arm the taxi drivers.
    Over here most of them are already.

Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    Number One Son “Can I watch that movie, Mum?”
    Wife “No, it’s got too much swearing!”
    Number One Son “Don’t worry, I know all the swear words already!”
    Wife “ How do you know all the swear words?”
    Number One Son “From Daddy. In the car!”
    Just so I can laugh appropriately how old is Number One Son?
    Space to let