hibs.net Messageboard

Page 49 of 115 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 3430
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fife already do this, I think.

I don't look at them, and I suspect most drivers don't, which defeats the point of the ad in the first place.
    Dundee has them on the Kingsway and some are known by their sponsor names. That's probably because Dundee has 3,019,561 roundabouts (circles) though.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday Boy View Post
    Probably posted several times before, but drivers who think that traffic pulling over to allow an emergency vehicle with a blue light to pass, is the ideal opportunity for them to overtake. What goes on in their heads .
    Worse than them are the ones who sit blocking the road oblivious to the big red truck behind them with flashing lights and sirens trying to get past. I often wonder if their reactions are always as slow.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Elderly drivers whose years have sadly rendered their driving skills less than acceptable to be safely on the road.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Elderly drivers whose years have sadly rendered their driving skills less than acceptable to be safely on the road.
    Ageism is alive.

Reminds me of the story of the girl who took her brother with her to the garage when her car was needing some work and the garage mechanic addressed all the discussion to the brother, she eventually said to the mechanic 'do you know what I do for a living? I'm chief engineer for a formula 1 team'

True story. Without knowing the circumstances you can't stereotype.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    Ageism is alive.

Reminds me of the story of the girl who took her brother with her to the garage when her car was needing some work and the garage mechanic addressed all the discussion to the brother, she eventually said to the mechanic 'do you know what I do for a living? I'm chief engineer for a formula 1 team'

To be fair, Scouse didn't say all elderly drivers.

There are definitely some who should no longer be driving, but there are "young" people who are every bit as dangerous.

Ageism is alive.

And she didn't fix her own car?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    And she didn't fix her own car?!?
    I think it might have been under warranty 🤔

Ageism is alive.

It’s not ageiism at all.
    My own Dad recognised when his years had caught up with him and took himself off the road. Just pointing out that others don’t and it is sometimes clear to witness their now lack of safety on the road.
    Certainly not stereotyping either.
    Last edited by Scouse Hibee; 16-10-2020 at 12:58 PM.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    That f***ing helicopter that keeps flying over the house every 40 minutes or so, all day yesterday and looks like it will be going on all day today..

Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    That f***ing helicopter that keeps flying over the house every 40 minutes or so, all day yesterday and looks like it will be going on all day today..
    Who's driving it?

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    Those metal hallides are a big giveaway :
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

Who's driving it?
    The pilot is driving it.

Quote Originally Posted by sleeping giant View Post
    Those metal hallides are a big giveaway :
    Blaming the edible I had last night.

@hibs.net private member
    It’s not ageiism at all.
    My own Dad recognised when his years had caught up with him and took himself off the road. Just pointing out that others don’t and it is sometimes clear to witness their now lack of safety on the road.
    Certainly not stereotyping either.
    I reckon you should have to resit your test every year after reaching 70.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    I reckon you should have to resit your test every year after reaching 70.
    You should have to give up your license at that age. I know it’s not nice, but there needs to be a limit set. Look at that case in mornigside earlier in the year. I’ve driven for a living for a large part of my life, but I’m prepared to accept that at some point my ability to get myself out of trouble will be diminish as I get older. Take the uncertainty away and impose an age limit.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    You should have to give up your license at that age. I know it’s not nice, but there needs to be a limit set. Look at that case in mornigside earlier in the year. I’ve driven for a living for a large part of my life, but I’m prepared to accept that at some point my ability to get myself out of trouble will be diminish as I get older. Take the uncertainty away and impose an age limit.
    At some point people's ability to look after other people will diminish. Take away that uncertainty and ban grandparents from childminding at age 70?
    Last edited by lapsedhibee; 24-10-2020 at 04:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    At some point people's ability to look after other people will diminish. Take away that uncertainty and ban grandparents from childminding at age 70?
    Pretty sure the parents of children can make their own decision as to wether their own parents are capable of looking after the grandkids.
    Older drivers are often reluctant to give up their licences regardless of their failing ability as it would remove their independence in getting out and about easier, oblivious to the fact that they have become a danger on the roads.

Drivers who when they get to a junction where a side road joins a main road, position themselves right in the centre so a car behind turning in the opposite direction cannot get alongside them. Hence as they wait for a break in the traffic to turn right you have to wait to turn left even though you could have turned left ages ago.

Drivers who when they get to a junction where a side road joins a main road, position themselves right in the centre so a car behind turning in the opposite direction cannot get alongside them. Hence as they wait for a break in the traffic to turn right you have to wait to turn left even though you could have turned left ages ago.
    Maybe it's because they're afraid of getting hit by another clown turning right from the main road who can't turn a corner. I often wonder if they just don't have a clue or if they do it deliberately?

@hibs.net private member ACLeith's Avatar
    Why would you force me off the road at 70? IIRC the person involved in the accident you mention was over 90?

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ACLeith View Post
    Why would you force me off the road at 70? IIRC the person involved in the accident you mention was over 90?
    Exactly. What a load of utter bollox.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    Of course it is although it won't be long before I'll be stopped at the border of Danderhall ;-)

There is however a genuine concern that as we get older some of our faculties are not as good as they once were. There are a number of conditions where you can be advised by your doctor, optician or other health professional not to drive but I don't think they advise the DVLA and the individual can just not pass the information on.
    Space to let

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Of course it is although it won't be long before I'll be stopped at the border of Danderhall ;-)

There is however a genuine concern that as we get older some of our faculties are not as good as they once were. There are a number of conditions where you can be advised by your doctor, optician or other health professional not to drive but I don't think they advise the DVLA and the individual can just not pass the information on.
    I agree Jack. But that doesn’t lead to a blanket ban at a particular age. What’s next? A ban from ER if someone can compare the current squad to the Famous Five? (BTW knowing some on here that’s meant to be a joke, okay?)

@hibs.net private member
    Perhaps there's a bit of room for a compromise re when is the right time to stop driving. I don't think a full driving test would be necessary but some sort of assessment on certain situations/reaction times could be beneficial, maybe every 2 years. I think families also have step up . I personally had to convince my own Dad, over a period of time, to stop driving as it was getting tougher and tougher to sit as a passenger and try to remain calm. He resisted at first but eventually accepted his driving days were over.

Quote Originally Posted by ACLeith View Post
    70 probably isn’t the right age but there has to be a cut off or a test to determine whether people can still drive safely.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    It not utter bollox, as I said 70 is maybe to young, but there should be some kind of age limit.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    Dunno if 70 is the right age but parents of young children can put undue pressures on the grandparents to look after their kids when perhaps they're not fit for the task in hand.
    I'd always pledged I would never rely on my parents for childcare (they get plenty of visits/sleepovers) but I got caught out once when my daughter was around 5. Reluctantly I left her with my dad who was only 65 at the time and retired (mum still working). She was with him for 4 hours (1000-1400) and when I went to pick her up my dad was sleeping on the couch and my daughter was playing in front of a lit, open flame gas fire.
    There was a Barbie doll with singed hair stuck to the carpet!
    I don't blame my dad, it was my responsibility and I made a mistake. I've managed my time better so I've never had to put any of us in that position again.
    But, I have a very good friend who has 5 boys of various ages (youngest is <2), they get left regularly with his 80 year old mum during summer hols and she definitely can't cope.
    A grandparent will never say no when it comes to childcare.

P.S apologies for unforseen thread hijack.
    Last edited by speedy_gonzales; 24-10-2020 at 11:54 AM.

It not utter bollox, as I said 70 is maybe to young, but there should be some kind of age limit.
    I would support the idea of having to be assessed every few years after a certain age, but using a precise age to stop folk driving is not right.

I agree with many of the "driving peeves" on this long thread, most of which are caused by drivers who are decades younger than me. Of course I think I am still a good driver - who doesn't? Anyway, I need to sign off as I've a few boy racers/whippersnappers I want to go out and show up before listening to our match.

There's an arbritary lower age limit for when you can drive so why not an upper limit? I'm sure there are many 15 and 16 year old who are perfectly capable, physically and mentally, of driving.

Personally I'd not be supportive of an outright ban but it stands to reason that someone's reaction times will slow as they get older. A basic competency test after age 70 might be a good idea. I'd go further and suggest everyone driving should have to undergo an assessment on a 5 year basis.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Having to just give up your licence at 70 is utter bollox to me. Thinking of older (say late 70s+) drivers I know/knew, almost all of them realised themselves when their time was up. But I do admit there is a problem with some old people's driving skills deteriorating. I would hope that their GPs could play a part by advising them if they thought that reactions etc were diminishing but this obviously isn't going to completely solve it.