hibs.net Messageboard

Page 41 of 43 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1285
  1. #1201
    @hibs.net private member J-C's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Age
    61
    Posts
    20,074
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Getting a FPN for driving on the bus lane in Milton Road at 6.15 on Xmas Eve. No traffic on the road and I wasn't remotely thinking it was a normal week day
    The lanes are ongoing no matter what time of year, they should be classed as a sunday on public holidays like this.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #1202
    @hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Musselburgh
    Age
    61
    Posts
    14,752
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The lanes are ongoing no matter what time of year, they should be classed as a sunday on public holidays like this.
    Aye but it was Xmas Eve, a Tuesday and a normal working day, my own fault!

  4. #1203
    @hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    West Upper
    Age
    35
    Posts
    26,704
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Getting a FPN for driving on the bus lane in Milton Road at 6.15 on Xmas Eve. No traffic on the road and I wasn't remotely thinking it was a normal week day

    That camera will have made a absolute fortune since its launch at the end of September. Folk zip along there hoping to skip the queue.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

  5. #1204
    @hibs.net private member Thief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Bonnyrigg
    Age
    55
    Posts
    237
    Not so much a peeve but a genuine query!
    The junction on the Queensferry Road at Craigleith shopping centre, where you have the 2 almost half lanes for turning into the shopping centre or going straight on for about 10 yards to turn into Groathill.
    If you intend turning into Groathill, do you wait for the green filter arrow, or do you go straight on when the light changes to green for straight ahead, and just wait for a gap in the traffic?
    If Iím at the front I go forward and wait for a gap but most behind me wait for the green filter arrow.
    Just wondering if Iíve got it wrong!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #1205
    @hibs.net private member J-C's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Age
    61
    Posts
    20,074
    Quote Originally Posted by Thief View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not so much a peeve but a genuine query!
    The junction on the Queensferry Road at Craigleith shopping centre, where you have the 2 almost half lanes for turning into the shopping centre or going straight on for about 10 yards to turn into Groathill.
    If you intend turning into Groathill, do you wait for the green filter arrow, or do you go straight on when the light changes to green for straight ahead, and just wait for a gap in the traffic?
    If Iím at the front I go forward and wait for a gap but most behind me wait for the green filter arrow.
    Just wondering if Iíve got it wrong!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Green filter to turn right, if you go before, you're turning into oncoming traffic.

  7. #1206
    @hibs.net private member Thief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Bonnyrigg
    Age
    55
    Posts
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Green filter to turn right, if you go before, you're turning into oncoming traffic.
    Iíll stop doing it lol.
    What confuses me is that there is a specific lane to wait in which doesnít hinder oncoming traffic, and technically Iím going straight on, then turning right.
    Donít fancy falling foul of the law tho


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #1207
    @hibs.net private member J-C's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Age
    61
    Posts
    20,074
    Quote Originally Posted by Thief View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Iíll stop doing it lol.
    What confuses me is that there is a specific lane to wait in which doesnít hinder oncoming traffic, and technically Iím going straight on, then turning right.
    Donít fancy falling foul of the law tho


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You're still technically turning right, not going straight ahead, hence why you wait for the filter. 😁👍

  9. #1208
    Quote Originally Posted by Thief View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not so much a peeve but a genuine query!
    The junction on the Queensferry Road at Craigleith shopping centre, where you have the 2 almost half lanes for turning into the shopping centre or going straight on for about 10 yards to turn into Groathill.
    If you intend turning into Groathill, do you wait for the green filter arrow, or do you go straight on when the light changes to green for straight ahead, and just wait for a gap in the traffic?
    If I’m at the front I go forward and wait for a gap but most behind me wait for the green filter arrow.
    Just wondering if I’ve got it wrong!
    Never done it in a car, but I do what you do regularly on a bike. There's about 30 yards between the lights and the Groathill Avenue turnoff, and there's no reason not to proceed (ie no contraindications like pedestrians crossing or other vehicles entering the junction).
    Last edited by lapsedhibee; 12-01-2020 at 09:02 PM.

  10. #1209
    @hibs.net private member Thief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Bonnyrigg
    Age
    55
    Posts
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Never done it in a car, but I do what you do regularly on a bike. The first white arrow on the road after those lights is a straight-ahead arrow, not a right-turn arrow, so I think it's well justified to proceed on the straight-ahead filter, and then wait for oncoming traffic to stop, or break, before you turn right into Groathill. Nothing wrong with that whatsoever!
    That was always my take on it, but did notice others behind me stayed put until the filter came on.
    Was only after that happened a few times that I thought Iíd post here.
    Suppose the definitive answer would be from traffic cops.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #1210
    Testimonial Due The_Exile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    East Lothian
    Posts
    2,433
    Car behind me tonight had full beams on from commercial street to Musselburgh. I could barely see by the time I got home. Should be a hanging offence IMO.

  12. #1211
    First Team Breakthrough
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    169
    Quote Originally Posted by Thief View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That was always my take on it, but did notice others behind me stayed put until the filter came on.
    Was only after that happened a few times that I thought Iíd post here.
    Suppose the definitive answer would be from traffic cops.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I was under the impression green is for both moves, obviously you can only turn right in a break of traffic and the filter came on incase of times there is no break thus giving that lane the opportunity to turn?

    Iím praying this is right or I too have been guilty of causing Peev

  13. #1212
    Coaching Staff Future17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    "Galactidos!"
    Age
    35
    Posts
    5,902
    Quote Originally Posted by Thief View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not so much a peeve but a genuine query!
    The junction on the Queensferry Road at Craigleith shopping centre, where you have the 2 almost half lanes for turning into the shopping centre or going straight on for about 10 yards to turn into Groathill.
    If you intend turning into Groathill, do you wait for the green filter arrow, or do you go straight on when the light changes to green for straight ahead, and just wait for a gap in the traffic?
    If Iím at the front I go forward and wait for a gap but most behind me wait for the green filter arrow.
    Just wondering if Iíve got it wrong!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't know the junction well, but is the green you move on just a green or a green straight ahead arrow?

    If it's the former I'd say you're right; if it's the latter I'd say you're wrong.

  14. #1213
    @hibs.net private member Thief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Bonnyrigg
    Age
    55
    Posts
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know the junction well, but is the green you move on just a green or a green straight ahead arrow?

    If it's the former I'd say you're right; if it's the latter I'd say you're wrong.
    Iíll have to confirm that next time Iím there, but from memory, itís 2 separate green lights. One for straight ahead and one that comes on a couple minutes later for turning right.
    As Groathill has a lane and is 10 yards further on than shopping centre, Iíve always assumed that the green light for the right turn was ONLY for the shopping centre, but recently Iíve noticed Iím the only one that moves forward for Groathill while the shop centre red light shows.
    All very complicated but does seem that others do same as me!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #1214
    @hibs.net private member J-C's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Age
    61
    Posts
    20,074
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know the junction well, but is the green you move on just a green or a green straight ahead arrow?

    If it's the former I'd say you're right; if it's the latter I'd say you're wrong.
    The lane he is in is a right turn, there are 2 next each other, one for shopping centre, other for Groathill.

  16. #1215
    @hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    53
    Posts
    22,357
    Quote Originally Posted by Thief View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Iíll have to confirm that next time Iím there, but from memory, itís 2 separate green lights. One for straight ahead and one that comes on a couple minutes later for turning right.
    As Groathill has a lane and is 10 yards further on than shopping centre, Iíve always assumed that the green light for the right turn was ONLY for the shopping centre, but recently Iíve noticed Iím the only one that moves forward for Groathill while the shop centre red light shows.
    All very complicated but does seem that others do same as me!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Is this the lights at McDonald's and your coming into town, left lane for straight ahead right for for Craigleith retail centre, if so and you are turning right and no traffic coming towards you you can go, if there is a gap in traffic I go for it.

  17. #1216
    @hibs.net private member Thief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Bonnyrigg
    Age
    55
    Posts
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is this the lights at McDonald's and your coming into town, left lane for straight ahead right for for Craigleith retail centre, if so and you are turning right and no traffic coming towards you you can go, if there is a gap in traffic I go for it.
    No, itís heading out of town on the Queensferry Road, at the traffic lights at Craigleith shopping centre.
    I think Iíll wait at the red light in future, as itís a heavy penalty if Iíve been in the wrong!
    Iíll try and check with the police.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  18. #1217
    @hibs.net private member staunchhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    west lothian
    Posts
    1,771
    Wish motorists would ensure all there lights are working.Seen lots of cars with only one headlight working

  19. #1218
    @hibs.net private member J-C's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Age
    61
    Posts
    20,074
    Quote Originally Posted by Thief View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, itís heading out of town on the Queensferry Road, at the traffic lights at Craigleith shopping centre.
    I think Iíll wait at the red light in future, as itís a heavy penalty if Iíve been in the wrong!
    Iíll try and check with the police.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just drove in this way, there's a large right arrow on both lanes at the lights with Superstore written on the ground. There's then smaller arrows facing right in each lane after the lights, indicating which way and lane to be in, so it's definitely a right filter for the lane heading to Groathill.

  20. #1219
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    14,852
    Quote Originally Posted by Thief View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, itís heading out of town on the Queensferry Road, at the traffic lights at Craigleith shopping centre.
    I think Iíll wait at the red light in future, as itís a heavy penalty if Iíve been in the wrong!
    Iíll try and check with the police.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The right turn to the shopping centre is the same light you use for turning to Groathill. The other light is for going straight ahead only. At least thatís my interpretation of it.

    United we stand here....

  21. #1220
    @hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    7,619
    Quote Originally Posted by staunchhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wish motorists would ensure all there lights are working.Seen lots of cars with only one headlight working
    Tends to be a blessing these days. Preferable to the ultra bright LEDs in newer cars.

  22. #1221
    @hibs.net private member Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    North stand
    Posts
    17,034
    Quote Originally Posted by Thief View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not so much a peeve but a genuine query!
    The junction on the Queensferry Road at Craigleith shopping centre, where you have the 2 almost half lanes for turning into the shopping centre or going straight on for about 10 yards to turn into Groathill.
    If you intend turning into Groathill, do you wait for the green filter arrow, or do you go straight on when the light changes to green for straight ahead, and just wait for a gap in the traffic?
    If Iím at the front I go forward and wait for a gap but most behind me wait for the green filter arrow.
    Just wondering if Iíve got it wrong!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I drove regularly in Edinburgh I never went until the filter if I was turning into Sainsbury's. If I was turning into Groathill Road I went as soon as the normal green light came on and waited until it was clear.

    Cant remember why but it seemed like common sense at the time 😁

  23. #1222
    @hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,878
    Folk that panic when weather conditions are poor.
    Was travelling along the city bypass early Saturday when the rain wasn't taking its time in coming down. Heading east, just before the Dreghorn slip, there was a ripple of brake lights up ahead so I eased off the power and there going across the carriageway was what looked like a river due to the drains not managing to handle the volume of water. I knew just to grip the steering and neither brake nor accelerate through the water but the driver next to me panicked, jumped on the brakes and ended up fish-tailing, almost wiping us both out!

  24. #1223
    @hibs.net private member McD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Livingston
    Age
    39
    Posts
    2,404
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Folk that panic when weather conditions are poor.
    Was travelling along the city bypass early Saturday when the rain wasn't taking its time in coming down. Heading east, just before the Dreghorn slip, there was a ripple of brake lights up ahead so I eased off the power and there going across the carriageway was what looked like a river due to the drains not managing to handle the volume of water. I knew just to grip the steering and neither brake nor accelerate through the water but the driver next to me panicked, jumped on the brakes and ended up fish-tailing, almost wiping us both out!


    same when it snows, so many people donít drive to the conditions

  25. #1224
    @hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Embra
    Age
    62
    Posts
    162
    Can anyone explain what the solid white lines that have appeared on the roundabout on Broomhouse Road at Bankhead Drive are all about?
    If you are in the inside lane coming onto the roundabout and intending to head straight through from any direction, to me it looks like they want to direct you across the lanes of the roundabout instead of keeping to your lane. I've ignored them till now but wondered if I was doing sometning wrong.

  26. #1225
    @hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,878
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfiembra View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can anyone explain what the solid white lines that have appeared on the roundabout on Broomhouse Road at Bankhead Drive are all about?
    If you are in the inside lane coming onto the roundabout and intending to head straight through from any direction, to me it looks like they want to direct you across the lanes of the roundabout instead of keeping to your lane. I've ignored them till now but wondered if I was doing sometning wrong.
    They've been there for at least 6 months, I think they're a hybrid of lake markers and stop lines. There are certain times of the day the R-A-B gets blocked so rather than paint yellow boxes they've came up with some road markings that I've never seen in any Highway Code book.

  27. #1226
    @hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Embra
    Age
    62
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They've been there for at least 6 months, I think they're a hybrid of lake markers and stop lines. There are certain times of the day the R-A-B gets blocked so rather than paint yellow boxes they've came up with some road markings that I've never seen in any Highway Code book.
    Ah starting to make a bit more sense. So I guess as you say when it's busy if you get caught on the R-A-B and can't exit, you wait at the solid line so that other traffic can still pass in front of you.

  28. #1227
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Brandenburg
    Posts
    11,529
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Exile View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Car behind me tonight had full beams on from commercial street to Musselburgh. I could barely see by the time I got home. Should be a hanging offence IMO.
    Why didn't you flip the anti glare tab on your rear view mirror?

  29. #1228
    @hibs.net private member J-C's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Age
    61
    Posts
    20,074
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why didn't you flip the anti glare tab on your rear view mirror?
    Shouldn't have to, plus you get blinded in your wing mirrors.

  30. #1229
    Coaching Staff sleeping giant's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Broxburn
    Posts
    18,230
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why didn't you flip the anti glare tab on your rear view mirror?
    My Mazda 6 doesnt seem to have that.
    Had it in my older one but not this one.

    Can it be automatic maybe?

  31. #1230
    @hibs.net private member Peevemor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Saint-Malo, Brittany
    Age
    52
    Posts
    19,835
    Quote Originally Posted by sleeping giant View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My Mazda 6 doesnt seem to have that.
    Had it in my older one but not this one.

    Can it be automatic maybe?
    Many rear view mirrors dim themselves automatically now.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved