hibs.net Messageboard

Page 40 of 115 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 3436
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The pick-up driver who didn't stop when I was already on a crossing in a supermarket car park probably regrets it as I was not fully in control of the loaded trolley that ran along the side of his vehicle.
    That's a shame for the guy, eh?

Hope your messages were ok.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    That's a shame for the guy, eh?

Hope your messages were ok.
    No drinks were spilled in the 'accident'
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Folk who don't understand how a roundabout works. I sat behind a guy today at a four exit roundabout and all the folk at said roundabout exits were all sat staring at each other waiting for someone to move!! ****wits

@hibs.net private member EH6 Hibby's Avatar
    Don’t know if it’s been mentioned, but People knowingly driving up the wrong lane because one is empty and then indicating to get in does my absolute box in. York place is shocking for it, as you come towards the bus station, it moves to one lane for going straight on, but you get folk driving up the lane to turn right and then pushing their way in. The same people then drive up the lane that’s for turning right to Leith Street to get past everyone in the correct lane, and pushing in again to go down Leith Walk. I’ve had to take the car to work the last 2 days and driving through town sends me into a rage.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Not a peeve but an observation. On 31st I drove round sherriffhall and the next roundabout, Craighall? in the dark and, while I was a little confused to begin with, the lit road markings on the roundabouts made it a lot easier to get the lanes right.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Not a peeve but an observation. On 31st I drove round sherriffhall and the next roundabout, Craighall? in the dark and, while I was a little confused to begin with, the lit road markings on the roundabouts made it a lot easier to get the lanes right.

the wife and I drove round there on Monday, she wouldn’t believe that the cats eyes change with the lights to give indication as to which lane you should in, had to make her watch as the lights changed to see it

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by EH6 Hibby View Post
    Don’t know if it’s been mentioned, but People knowingly driving up the wrong lane because one is empty and then indicating to get in does my absolute box in. York place is shocking for it, as you come towards the bus station, it moves to one lane for going straight on, but you get folk driving up the lane to turn right and then pushing their way in. The same people then drive up the lane that’s for turning right to Leith Street to get past everyone in the correct lane, and pushing in again to go down Leith Walk. I’ve had to take the car to work the last 2 days and driving through town sends me into a rage.
    I get in more of a rage at the people who let them in. I'm often tempted to become a lane jumper myself seeing as they make it so easy.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    The difference in Sherriffhall over the years is crazy. It used to be bedlam, but gradually, order has been introduced, step by step

I used to do the JustinLees roundabout twice a day, not far down the road, but haven’t driven it for two or three years now. That was always a belter, one where you had to just go for it and hope you were right
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    The difference in Sherriffhall over the years is crazy. It used to be bedlam, but gradually, order has been introduced, step by step

I used to do the JustinLees roundabout twice a day, not far down the road, but haven’t driven it for two or three years now. That was always a belter, one where you had to just go for it and hope you were right

Remember when it was first built there were no traffic lights, 1988 I think.

TBF its 2 lanes that merge into 1 and one of them is a bus lane so people tend to avoid that lane. The ones near Picardy is simply people avoiding the buses on the left, the traffic management there is shocking and CEC have cocked up the whole area.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    TBF its 2 lanes that merge into 1 and one of them is a bus lane so people tend to avoid that lane. The ones near Picardy is simply people avoiding the buses on the left, the traffic management there is shocking and CEC have cocked up the whole area.
    Ive stopped driving along there since it re oppened and instead cut down at Dundas street then snake along to Annandale street to get onto Leith Walk.

As you said, its bus lane when in operation on the left on the approach before splitting for right turn to Bus Station and left for straight on. I dont find that is too much of an issue TBH, its the next bit. Either sit behind a couple of busses (as you cant see past them usually) or pull onto the right hand lane and hope its not congested further up and you can easily pull back into the left lane. Add in when the trams eventually make it down Leith Walk. Chaos will be frightening.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

It's a terribly designed bit of road, but that's broadly in keeping with the whole city centre, to be honest.

The council have done a good job of making a city that is entirely unfriendly to cars. I only drive through the centre as a last resort. I hate it, and would 100% rather take a train or a tram into Edinburgh rather than driving.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    That’s going the other way.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Drivers of delivery lorries from builders merchants (Beatsons, jewsons etc) are some of sketchiest people on the roads. I had another run in today when one tried to cut across two lanes of traffic at Newbridge. Maybe they’re a glutton for a good horn blasting?

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    That’s going the other way.
    What's going the other way?

Heading to Elm Row at the end if York place, people go to the right land due to the buses at the stop, they then try to get back into the left lane to head to Leith.

@hibs.net private member
    Heading to Elm Row at the end if York place, people go to the right land due to the buses at the stop, they then try to get back into the left lane to head to Leith.
    I haven't been that way recently, but didn't this used to be 2 lanes at York Place going to 3 at the roundabout? With 2 lanes heading north to Leith and London Road, and one lane back up to Calton Road and the Bridges?

Is it no longer 3 lanes at the junction?

Quote Originally Posted by grunt View Post
    I haven't been that way recently, but didn't this used to be 2 lanes at York Place going to 3 at the roundabout? With 2 lanes heading north to Leith and London Road, and one lane back up to Calton Road and the Bridges?

Is it no longer 3 lanes at the junction?
    No all changed, no roundabout any more. 2 lanes after York Pl, 1 heading to Leith and London Rd, the other heading towards Leith St and town. All controlled by traffic lights.

@hibs.net private member
    No all changed, no roundabout any more. 2 lanes after York Pl, 1 heading to Leith and London Rd, the other heading towards Leith St and town. All controlled by traffic lights.
    Ok thanks. Possibly a good job I've steered clear of that junction recently!

@hibs.net private member EH6 Hibby's Avatar
    Yeah but the lane does not merge at the junction to go to the bus station, it merges at the top of Dublin Street. Everyone else merges there, but you get the chancers who drive past everyone and indicate at the front of the queue. The next part, both times there were no buses at the bus stop so there was no excuse for being in the wrong lane.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Yeah but the lane does not merge at the junction to go to the bus station, it merges at the top of Dublin Street.
    Nah, the end of the bus lane, and merging arrows, are about halfway between Dublin St and Elder St (the bus station turnoff).

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Yeah but the lane does not merge at the junction to go to the bus station, it merges at the top of Dublin Street. Everyone else merges there, but you get the chancers who drive past everyone and indicate at the front of the queue. The next part, both times there were no buses at the bus stop so there was no excuse for being in the wrong lane.
    I assume the single lane part will ultimately change when they move the ‘temporary’ tram stop?

I think the end of York Pl, people don't realise it has 2 different lanes ahead, before both lanes went to same destination, now there are 2 lanes going separate ways.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    It used to be that if you couldn’t find a place to stop out of the line of traffic, you kept moving until you found a suitable place. The amount of folk that just stop where ever they want and put their hazards on absolutely does my nut in.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    What's going the other way?

It’s the people who head along the right hand lane that’s meant for turning right at the bus station the poster was talking about.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    It’s the people who head along the right hand lane that’s meant for turning right at the bus station the poster was talking about.
    I get that but the left lane is a bus lane and as you know, most eejits dont realise its only a bus lane at certain times, its 2 lanes from the lights at St Andrew's Sq, so it stays that way until it merges at Elder St.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

I get that but the left lane is a bus lane and as you know, most eejits dont realise its only a bus lane at certain times, its 2 lanes from the lights at St Andrew's Sq, so it stays that way until it merges at Elder St.
    I'm with you on this one, JC. I can totally see how folk get caught out on that section of road - even the bus lane operating times isn't the only factor as you also get cars parking in the left hand lane from time to time which forces traffic into the right hand lane.

It's fine if you are familiar with the read but I think the council could do a lot more to inform people of which lane they should be in right along that street.

They seem to have made changes to junctions all over the city to make them more like this.

Drivers who are maybe not on the road often, are infrequent visitors to the city or haven't been here for a while should probably be forgiven for anticipating these junctions being how they used to be.

Off the top of my head I'm thinking of a few on Telford Road, the one near Drumsheugh Gardens and possibly a few on Leith Walk.

It is quite easy to get them wrong.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    They seem to have made changes to junctions all over the city to make them more like this.

Drivers who are maybe not on the road often, are infrequent visitors to the city or haven't been here for a while should probably be forgiven for anticipating these junctions being how they used to be.

Off the top of my head I'm thinking of a few on Telford Road, the one near Drumsheugh Gardens and possibly a few on Leith Walk.

It is quite easy to get them wrong.
    Telford Road caught me out. They have reversed which lanes you should be in for going straight on.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Getting a FPN for driving on the bus lane in Milton Road at 6.15 on Xmas Eve. No traffic on the road and I wasn't remotely thinking it was a normal week day

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    Getting a FPN for driving on the bus lane in Milton Road at 6.15 on Xmas Eve. No traffic on the road and I wasn't remotely thinking it was a normal week day
    That bus lane camera is going to cause an accident. Ridiculously badly placed.

It would be better placed further along past the crossroads before the Milton Fry etc. Folk absolutely fly along the bus lane there and try to force their way in at speed.