hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 114 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lorries overtaking other lorries on the 2 lane M8, other 2 lane motorways are available!

Ones doing 59 and the others doing 59 ... and a half!

If the slower one slowed for just a minute to say 55 to let the other go by there wouldn't be queues of frustrated drivers!

I think caravans need a thread of their own ;-)
    The scourge of the A11, that. It can take the 3 miles to overtake and reduce the whole road to 60mph in the process.

2. Log in to remove the advert

People who drive about with their hazards on as if it excuses any bizarre manoeuvre.

Not really in the spirit but the junction of the A406 with the M11 comes into the fast lane. The A406 has a speed cam so your around 50MPH, the M11 is supposed to be 50mph as well but everyone picks up speed ahead of the change to 70mph. Makes it tricky to merge in between the speed merchants.

There’s a junction like that on the M8 around Charing Cross as well but with added poor visibility.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    What annoys me is people who brake for no apparent reason. Was stuck behind someone yesterday in a 20 zone doing 20 (which is fair enough, I can accept that’s the speed limit but by going that speed there’s next to no reason to ever be slowing below it other than the obvious reasons) and they just kept on braking out the blue. Nothing infront of them, not approaching a junction etc, just totally random and pointless braking down to about 10mph. WHY?!
    On Sir Harry Lauder Road there's a speed camera. The limit is 40mph and the number of people who are doing about 32mph and then slam the brakes on when they see it is baffling to me. As you say, just why?
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Lorries overtaking lorries. Especially when the overtaking lorry pulls out in front of faster traffic then proceeds to hold everyone up for a mile as their lorry isn't as fast up a hill as they thought it was.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Fog lights, when there is no fog, and at night!!
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    Fog lights, when there is no fog, and at night!!
    Fog lights in rush hour traffic. I don't need the warning 3 feet behind you at 5MPH. Burning my retinas tho...

@hibs.net private member Future17's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    On Sir Harry Lauder Road there's a speed camera. The limit is 40mph and the number of people who are doing about 32mph and then slam the brakes on when they see it is baffling to me. As you say, just why?
    We must live in the same area, as your location-specific peeves are mine too.

The SHLR one I put down to folk thinking it's 30 when they see the camera sign, until they're right beside the 40 sign.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Tailgating and people parking in bus lanes.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Taxi drivers who stop where and whenever they like but don't like it when you do the same to them in a taxi rank. 😁

3pts away from home - i'm a happy glory hunter. jonty's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: jonty Wii Code: 7580 5998 4272 1376
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    Taxi drivers who stop where and whenever they like but don't like it when you do the same to them in a taxi rank. 😁
    Definite laugh-out-loud moment there.
    They do this at Inverkeithing train station. Its hilarious watching them get irate at car drivers who dare to drop off in the lower car park.
    Not so much fun for the car drivers when the taxi idiots box them in so they cant get out.

Yet the taxi drivers seem to think they can park/block as they see fit in the top car-park.

As usual its only a few, but it does get over-aggressive at times.

The taxi rank at Market Street is a joke. When it's full, taxi drivers just extend it to the other side of the road, meaning there's not enough room for two cars to pass each other.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    The westbound stretch of the bypass, between Old Craighall and Sheriffhall.

You can be on it at the most innocuous time of day and it's tailing back for ages.

I'm lucky in that I'm only usually on it to get to the Millerhill exit and onto the A68, but if I'm driving on it's always snarled up whether it's half-ten on a Tuesday morning or mid-afternoon on a Sunday.

Is it just bad traffic management?
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

I came out from delivering a parcel, 45 secs i was out of van, to find two of them had boxed me in. Rank was otherwise empty and there was space for 6 in front of me, the one in front soon moved when I gave him a nudge.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    People who double park and block the road, I don't care if your just going to be a minute, park around the corner in a proper space FFS!

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post

You can be on it at the most innocuous time of day and it's tailing back for ages.

I'm lucky in that I'm only usually on it to get to the Millerhill exit and onto the A68, but if I'm driving on it's always snarled up whether it's half-ten on a Tuesday morning or mid-afternoon on a Sunday.

I think it's a combination of the short green light sequence and the late split of the road into more than one lane.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    I came out from delivering a parcel, 45 secs i was out of van, to find two of them had boxed me in. Rank was otherwise empty and there was space for 6 in front of me, the one in front soon moved when I gave him a nudge.

It is the sheer amount of traffic. The other day it was stationary at 6.40 am and yesterday it was bad until 4pm.

The proposed flyover will make no difference to the east to west flow as it is the Gilmerton on ramp where the traffic slows.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post

One of life's mysteries. Always bad in that direction. However it relates to a peeve of mine. Come off the SHLR to turn right onto that stretch and the right lane is often blocked. The number of drivers who use the left lane to turn right is unbelievable. Almost accepted practise now.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Folk who block junctions by entering the cross hatched box when there is no way of getting out of it. Then when tbe lights change and they're stuck there blocking the traffic, they give you the hand gesture as if to say where I am I supposed to go. You shouldn't have entered in the first place you ****** halfwit if you couldn't exit it.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Folk who block junctions by entering the cross hatched box when there is no way of getting out of it. Then when tbe lights change and they're stuck there blocking the traffic, they give you the hand gesture as if to say where I am I supposed to go. You shouldn't have entered in the first place you ****** halfwit if you couldn't exit it.
    Not a traffic light junction, but a policeman done exactly this tonight at the yellow box junction at the end of Gylemuir Road/Meadow Place Road. It happens quite often during busy periods but you'd think the Po-Po would know better?!?
    When it was obvious he wasn't going anywhere and was obstructing the box junction he done the sensible thing, put the blues & twos on and went up the outside of the queuing traffic,,,, if only we all had that option!

@hibs.net private member Andy Bee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Lorries overtaking lorries. Especially when the overtaking lorry pulls out in front of faster traffic then proceeds to hold everyone up for a mile as their lorry isn't as fast up a hill as they thought it was.
    Car drivers who don't have the patience to sit behind lorries for sometimes as few as 1 mile, especially when the car drivers are only nipping out for a paper, fags, visit the inlaws or any other needless journey they think demands that lorry drivers should get out their way, who incidentally have to tramp the same old roads day in day out, sometimes doing 15hr shifts just to deliver the things the aforementioned car drivers have ordered and have no idea what exactly lorry drivers go through to get it to them on time. Really does my head in that.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bee View Post
    Car drivers who don't have the patience to sit behind lorries for sometimes as few as 1 mile, especially when the car drivers are only nipping out for a paper, fags, visit the inlaws or any other needless journey they think demands that lorry drivers should get out their way, who incidentally have to tramp the same old roads day in day out, sometimes doing 15hr shifts just to deliver the things the aforementioned car drivers have ordered and have no idea what exactly lorry drivers go through to get it to them on time. Really does my head in that.
    Lorry drivers that do 15 hour shifts when the maximum allowed driving time is 10 hours.

If they overtake a truck travelling 1mph slower than them right at the beginning of their shift then the maximum time they will have saved is about 11 minutes that day. Hardly worth the hassle when you think about it.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    There’s an awful lot of perfect drivers on this thread.

I know this won’t go down well but I’m going to admit to it.......

There has been occasions when approaching a roundabout that I’m not familiar with I’ve found myself in the wrong lane.

Apologies to all concerned and to those that have been kind enough to let me in I thank you!

Don’t get me started on people that stick to the 20mph limit though, that’s unforgivable.

@hibs.net private member Andy Bee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    Lorry drivers that do 15 hour shifts when the maximum allowed driving time is 10 hours.

If they overtake a truck travelling 1mph slower than them right at the beginning of their shift then the maximum time they will have saved is about 11 minutes that day. Hardly worth the hassle when you think about it.

10 hours driving time but 15 hours working time and it happens a lot.

It's not the time saved it's the fact that you're stuck behind another lorry for the duration of your shift if you don't overtake, it's far easier and safer going when you just have a clear road in front of you.

People who don’t understand that if you aren’t a taxi, you’re not supposed to stop in a taxi rank for any amount of time. It doesn’t matter if you’re only popping in for a paper or picking your mum up from the station, you’re interfering with working vehicles providing public transport so stop being so selfish. 🤨

Would you have the same attitude if it were bus stops we were talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    People who drive about with their hazards on as if it excuses any bizarre manoeuvre.
    I was waiting for a bus when this van driver pulled into the lay-by at the bus stop taking the whole thing up and facing the wrong way into the bargain. He then proceeded to make his crucial phone call.
    When the bus pulled up to the stop it couldn’t get in so the driver signalled to the van to move. The van driver apologised and made things ok by sticking his hazards on and continuing the conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    People who don’t understand that if you aren’t a taxi, you’re not supposed to stop in a taxi rank for any amount of time. It doesn’t matter if you’re only popping in for a paper or picking your mum up from the station, you’re interfering with working vehicles providing public transport so stop being so selfish. 🤨

Would you have the same attitude if it were bus stops we were talking about?
    Taxi drivers who don't understand that no u-turn means no u-turn. They get all humpty when you won't let them swing across into oncoming traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by Geo_1875 View Post
    Taxi drivers who don't understand that no u-turn means no u-turn. They get all humpty when you won't let them swing across into oncoming traffic.
    I take it you agree with the whole taxi tank thing then. 😉

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bee View Post
    10 hours driving time but 15 hours working time and it happens a lot.

It's not the time saved it's the fact that you're stuck behind another lorry for the duration of your shift if you don't overtake, it's far easier and safer going when you just have a clear road in front of you.
    I bet that pisses of the driver of the lorry you have just overtaken as he no longer has the clear road in front of him and has to tailgate you for the next 15 miles until he gets up enough steam to overtake you.

On lorries, the A9 has average speed cameras and an 'experimental' average speed for lorries. When this was introduced it 'reduced' the average speed of lorries from 40mph to 50mph (actually from about 56 to 50) somehow the lorries are now back to going at 56-58mph as if the cameras don't apply to them.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member EH6 Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    There’s an awful lot of perfect drivers on this thread.

I know this won’t go down well but I’m going to admit to it.......

There has been occasions when approaching a roundabout that I’m not familiar with I’ve found myself in the wrong lane.

Apologies to all concerned and to those that have been kind enough to let me in I thank you!

Don’t get me started on people that stick to the 20mph limit though, that’s unforgivable.

Someone mentioned Sherrifhall Roundabout earlier, I will add Hermiston Gait and Newbridge to the list of roundabouts that I am incapable of going round without someone beeping at me. I don't get these roundabouts at all, how are you supposed to know what lane you are supposed to be in? I approach and check the signs and road markings and choose the correct lane, I then follow that lane round the roundabout and then suddenly the lane I'm in changes to a different road exit, how do you then get in to the correct lane? If you try to merge into the correct lane the person behind you beeps at you or the person in the lane you are trying to move to beeps at you. How does everyone else seem to know that the lane is going to change, and how come they don't get beeped at when they must have started off in the wrong lane in order to end up in the right one? I get so stressed out when I have to go round any of these big roundabouts.