hibs.net Messageboard

Page 33 of 115 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    People should mind their own, but then again there is a perception that blue badge abuse is rife so folk will stick their nose in.
    I do it myself, I see a car pull in to a blue badge spot and see a young fit guy/girl run in to the store. I'll ask if they're aware that it was a blue badge space, not once have they said it was theirs. It's always "I'll only be two minutes" or "there's loads of spaces", the best one was the guy that pulled an Ali G and proceeded to walk with a cartoon limp,,,, fair play to him.
    Like yourself, I drive relations once in a while who have blue badges. I choose to drop them off near the store then park somewhere else. I don't need the blue badge space and would rather it be left for someone that actually needs it.
    I need to park in the space to get the wheelchair right up to the car, people often have a vision as to how old and how infirm people need to look to have a blue badge which is totally wrong. I always remember Dan Biddle (he survived the tube bombing with severe injuries) telling me a story. He lost both of his legs amongst other severe injuries, he’s a well built lad and from the waist up sitting in his BMW he looks like a fit rugby playing type of guy. He draws into a blue badge bay in a supermarket and is talking on his phone before getting out. An elderly couple walk past his open window and tell him he has no right parking there, at which point he throws the door open and they see he has no legs, of they scuttled red faced. He laughs when he tells the story, it does kind of prove how folk shouldn’t jump to conclusions.😂

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent Boatman View Post
    You think people who quality to use a blue badge welcome people questioning them about their disability? I think not, people should mind their own.
    Quite right.

I've had similar parking in a parent and child space a few times.

A couple of weeks back, I pulled up into a P&C space in Tesco - got out on my own, and walked into the supermarket to the absolute rage of some middle-aged woman who was coming out the shop at the same time. How very ****ing dare I take that space from someone that might need it...

As I exited 2 minutes later with my wife, and daughter in my arms, opening the door to put her in her car seat, she drove by and I simply smiled at her and waved. She rolled her window down and was incredibly apologetic for her behaviour.

Far too many people hell-bent on making something their business when it's absolutely not.

I think the blue badge scheme is perhaps the most abused scheme there is, driving or anything else.

Having been involved in it's evolution, for want of a better word,

Previously I wasn't too bothered but some of the stories I heard as evidence for change really made me quite angry.
    Space to let

car parks in general are a massive peeve of mine.

1. badly designed. so that cars and pedestrians always mix.
    2. spaces too small for modern cars.
    3. every one drives far to fast in them.
    4. pedestrians never ever consider the above fact and instead think they can swan about with zero responsibility.

and additionally on the above posts; there is usually far too many bays marked for P and C and disabled which often sit empty while you struggle to get a space or have to walk miles. that said, I wouldn't care if they fixed my other points.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I think the blue badge scheme is perhaps the most abused scheme there is, driving or anything else.

Having been involved in it's evolution, for want of a better word,

Previously I wasn't too bothered but some of the stories I heard as evidence for change really made me quite angry.
    The abuse of the blue badge is something that should be addressed, I think it only takes a letter from a doctor. A former neighbour of mine had one, but was able to walk the mile and three quarters from home to the supermarket in town.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jimmy View Post

4. pedestrians never ever consider the above fact and instead think they can swan about with zero responsibility.

and additionally on the above posts; there is usually far too many bays marked for P and C and disabled which often sit empty while you struggle to get a space or have to walk miles. that said, I wouldn't care if they fixed my other points.

A retail park in Perth has just had a full redesign of the car park, spaces are still 2.4m wide but at least there are more walkways and crossing points, however I don't know why there are not walkways between each back to back rows of parking, we all have to walk from the car to the shops.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jimmy View Post

Too many p and c? Most of them have too few!!

Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    Too many p and c? Most of them have too few!!
    I included them with disabled spaces as a percentage.

like I said, I don't really care if they fixed the rest of the issues.

@hibs.net private member staunchhibby's Avatar
    You need more than a doctor's letter to aquire blue badge.Need to fill in application form with all relevant information but does not mean you will get blue badge.You may be asked to go for an assessment which can say yes or no.

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    Not sure if this belongs here or Pet Peeves.

But roadside verges, kerbs, embankments and central reservations, what a state they are in completely overgrown and full of weeds. The council should hang their heads in shame, what sort of message does it send out to visitors to our city if they can’t even keep the weeds down and cut the grass. Not asking for bowling greens either side of the road but they really are a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfiembra View Post

But roadside verges, kerbs, embankments and central reservations, what a state they are in completely overgrown and full of weeds. The council should hang their heads in shame, what sort of message does it send out to visitors to our city if they can’t even keep the weeds down and cut the grass. Not asking for bowling greens either side of the road but they really are a mess.
    I take it that this is Edinburgh. All local authorities have had to reduce grass cutting due to budget cuts. I live in a rural area and it used to be that verges were cut 3 times a year, now it's once. We have a group of volunteers who have taken up the care of paths around the town and countryside and I spent 2 hours last Thursday to clear long grass from a popular path.

There's also a duty on local authorities to protect biodiversity and some areas may be left for butterfly and bee meadows.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfiembra View Post

In general I agree.

However a pet peeve of mine is people not bothering either.

Plenty of well kept from gardens in my street where people have weeds growing like crazy on the pavement outside...only takes a small amount of extra effort to do a wee bit on the pavement / keen to keep them in check as well.

I did mine and the old dear’s next door yesterday. Took about 20 mins to sweep and weed killer and rather near and tidy it looks too

People who drive everywhere as if they are trying to set the fastest lap. Slow down for fecks sake, your overall gain on your commute home is minimal, so tailgating, undertaking, jumping lights, weaving in and out of traffic really is daft.

Utter morons who have never been on a motorbike in their lives and yet can't wait to hire a scooter when they're on holiday. They then proceed to drive everywhere at about 20 mph whilst weaving about all over the road, braking on every corner and blissfully ignorant of the fact that wearing a crash helmet with shorts, vest top and flip flops is not really being responsible. One step up the evolutionary ladder from guys over 40 on a quad I suppose though.....

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent Boatman View Post
    People who drive everywhere as if they are trying to set the fastest lap. Slow down for fecks sake, your overall gain on your commute home is minimal, so tailgating, undertaking, jumping lights, weaving in and out of traffic really is daft.
    I’ve never understood this either. You get people undertaking you in order to get one place ahead. It’s stupid and will make no difference to their journey time.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I’ve never understood this either. You get people undertaking you in order to get one place ahead. It’s stupid and will make no difference to their journey time.
    I really like the tits who try and force their way past everybody coming to the end of the M8. They then sit in the outside lane to get on the bypass. I pass them in the queue and they maybe pass me again about Lothianburn by bullying their way through.

Granted I'm a new driver and I have had alot of people say you don't really learn to drive until you have passed as that couldn't be more true.

The amount of people that are on phones, don't indicate, speed and do what the **** they want is astonishing. I'm suprised there are not more accidents.

Quote Originally Posted by Obscene Omeonga View Post
    Granted I'm a new driver and I have had alot of people say you don't really learn to drive until you have passed as that couldn't be more true.

The amount of people that are on phones, don't indicate, speed and do what the **** they want is astonishing. I'm suprised there are not more accidents.

Broadly speaking, that these folks aren’t in more accidents is solely because of Other motorists driving skills, and sense of safety

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    Broadly speaking, that these folks aren’t in more accidents is solely because of Other motorists driving skills, and sense of safety
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

People who put the foot down when you go to overtake them, or who can't maintain a steady speed.

People who can't understand traffic lights when some change to green with arrows for straight ahead or left/right and others on the lights stay red. They then sit behind you blasting their horn and gesticulating for you to go through a red light!

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    People who put the foot down when you go to overtake them, or who can't maintain a steady speed.
    I've just completed a 2000km journey in the caravan and this drives me nuts. I'm allowed to do 100kph when towing and set the cruise control at 100 exactly and every now and then I have to overtake someone doing 95, meaning I overtake at 5kph faster. For some reason many drivers can't bare to be overtaken by a caravan and put their foot down meaning I have to abort the overtaking manoeuvre only to find myself having to repeat the procedure with the same hoof****ing bungle**** 5 minutes later.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    It's not just cars or caravan towing *******s that this happens to. The number of time when on my bike I am slowly catching the car in front only to have to stick another 10mph on as I get just at the back of them. Fuds! What is the issue with being overtaken??

Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    It's not just cars or caravan towing *******s that this happens to. The number of time when on my bike I am slowly catching the car in front only to have to stick another 10mph on as I get just at the back of them. Fuds! What is the issue with being overtaken??
    Apparently it’s a natural sub-conscious reaction, most of the time it’s not being done on purpose. Or so I read somewhere.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    I've just completed a 2000km journey in the caravan and this drives me nuts. I'm allowed to do 100kph when towing and set the cruise control at 100 exactly and every now and then I have to overtake someone doing 95, meaning I overtake at 5kph faster. For some reason many drivers can't bare to be overtaken by a caravan and put their foot down meaning I have to abort the overtaking manoeuvre only to find myself having to repeat the procedure with the same hoof****ing bungle**** 5 minutes later.
    People overtaking at 3mph faster than the inside lane is particularly annoying. Either speed up when overtaking or accept you're waiting behind.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    People overtaking at 3mph faster than the inside lane is particularly annoying. Either speed up when overtaking or accept you're waiting behind.
    At 3mph I've overtaken in a matter of seconds. Why should I have to break the speed limit because some bungle**** in a car won't go above 95 when he could be driving 130 and the recommended speed is shown as 110? If it bothers those behind that much then they can use the 3rd lane.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Where do you start, cyclists just seem to think they can do what the f*** they want, the deliveroo are just so dangerous on the roads and pavements, if I acted like that while driving my car I would get banned from driving, why do cyclists think they can go from road to pavement to any lane they want, they need to brush up on the Highway Code.

Tour buses, seems to be hundreds of them in the capital these days and please Don't get me started on the bottom of the bridges as you turn on to princess street, taxis cars and buses jostling for a place, time the police done something about it, is it even a taxi rank and how are folk allowed to park there fancy cars there.

Worst offenders are private hire cars in Edinburgh, they just don't seem to care how they drive.

Rant over.

Away to drive through the town, what a nightmare, I would consider the bypass but that is a hit and miss at any time of the day and night.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    Where do you start, cyclists just seem to think they can do what the f*** they want, the deliveroo are just so dangerous on the roads and pavements, if I acted like that while driving my car I would get banned from driving, why do cyclists think they can go from road to pavement to any lane they want, they need to brush up on the Highway Code.

Tour buses, seems to be hundreds of them in the capital these days and please Don't get me started on the bottom of the bridges as you turn on to princess street, taxis cars and buses jostling for a place, time the police done something about it, is it even a taxi rank and how are folk allowed to park there fancy cars there.

Worst offenders are private hire cars in Edinburgh, they just don't seem to care how they drive.

Rant over.

Away to drive through the town, what a nightmare, I would consider the bypass but that is a hit and miss at any time of the day and night.

Agree. They can often been seen pulling stunts such as doing 40-50mph in 30 zones with fares in the back or just stopping on single carriageways to pick up/drop off fares, they think stopping and putting their hazards on makes it ok and every other driver knows what they are doing, never mind the fact they are blocking the road... The Milton road being a favourite for them for racing along well above the speed limit. Professional drivers my arse.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Agree. They can often been seen pulling stunts such as doing 40-50mph in 30 zones with fares in the back or just stopping on single carriageways to pick up/drop off fares, they think stopping and putting their hazards on makes it ok and every other driver knows what they are doing, never mind the fact they are blocking the road... The Milton road being a favourite for them for racing along well above the speed limit. Professional drivers my arse.
    You’ve just described a black cab 😁

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post

Rant over.

FWIW I live near the bypass and before using it I check Scottish Traffic Cameras to see if it is busy.