hibs.net Messageboard

Page 32 of 115 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ahh yes because their limiter allows them to go 1-2mph faster so they take an age to get past..

While I appreciate the dude who can go 2% quicker wants to do so I’m always curious why the truck being overtaken just doesn’t lift slightly to let the dude get past and back in...do they all sit there and seethe that they are being overtaken so force the other one to crawl past for as long as possible?
    That would be a good idea.

The only reason I can think of is that they're under instruction/monitoring to get from A to B as quickly and fuel efficiently as possible to the point of not wanting any minor speed reduction on journeys.

Seems silly on an individual basis, but wouldn't surprise me if someone has worked out that across their network of lorries driving every day that such a policy is worthwhile.
    Mon the Hibs.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    That would be a good idea.

The only reason I can think of is that they're under instruction/monitoring to get from A to B as quickly and fuel efficiently as possible to the point of not wanting any minor speed reduction on journeys.

Seems silly on an individual basis, but wouldn't surprise me if someone has worked out that across their network of lorries driving every day that such a policy is worthwhile.
    If lift and coast is good enough for Lewis Hamilton then surely it can be good enough for the slower trucks to do so for a mighty 30 seconds to allow another pal to pass.

Just never see it happening though and defo a pet peeve for me as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    Lorries overtaking other lorries on Motorways and holding up everyone else.

Always seem to to wait until they’re at the bottom of a hill to do this, so end up going even slower as they plough up the hill.

heading west from newbridge to Livingston on the M8, it can take the full stretch of motorway for 1 lorry to overtake another going uphill, a stretch that should take around 5-6 minutes takes 15

Volvo drivers, drive me nuts, driven by people that cant bloody drive, if theres someone in front of you in the fast lane thats slowing you down, its a bloody volvo driver. Does my nut in. Worst drivers on the road. If you cant drive take the bike you twats.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil MaGlass View Post
    Volvo drivers, drive me nuts, driven by people that cant bloody drive, if theres someone in front of you in the fast lane thats slowing you down, its a bloody volvo driver. Does my nut in. Worst drivers on the road. If you cant drive take the bike you twats.
    Imagine what it would be like if you were behind them in the fast lane when they are on a bike.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

I've stopped letting lorries out.
    Space to let

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I've stopped letting lorries out.

Im the same with busses in bus stops, if they can’t be bothered to get into the bus stop properly and not block the road, then I’ll not bother to make their lives easier either

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Driving behind a car where the occupants are "blazing" and the smell infiltrates your car for as long as you're behind them. I'm finding this happens quite often now. I cant stand the smell of it and I get random drug tests at my work. Try explaining that one away if you provide a positive sample!! Ah yes I remember now boss, I was following a car full of stoners
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Driving behind a car where the occupants are "blazing" and the smell infiltrates your car for as long as you're behind them. I'm finding this happens quite often now. I cant stand the smell of it and I get random drug tests at my work. Try explaining that one away if you provide a positive sample!! Ah yes I remember now boss, I was following a car full of stoners
    how are the tests performed? I doubt that would show up.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    I catch a whiff of the smell all over the place now. If I'm walking for any more than about 15 minutes I reckon I catch a smell of it. I can't say I've ever saw people smoking it in a moving car though, whether that's drivers or passengers.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jimmy View Post
    how are the tests performed? I doubt that would show up.

Urine samples are taken as run of the mill random screens but if you've been involved in an operational incident then blood can be taken and tested.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    I catch a whiff of the smell all over the place now. If I'm walking for any more than about 15 minutes I reckon I catch a smell of it. I can't say I've ever saw people smoking it in a moving car though, whether that's drivers or passengers.

It is everywhere these days and it appears that drug driving is on the rise too.

@hibs.net private member Rattler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil MaGlass View Post
    Used to drive a Volvo regularly as part of my job, and still have one of my own. Would like to wager that I’m not any worse a driver than you are! 🤫

Urine samples are taken as run of the mill random screens but if you've been involved in an operational incident then blood can be taken and tested.
    I very much doubt either of which would show up what you said in your original post. I would hope not.

https://www.tuc.org.uk/resource/drug-testing-workplace

More importantly drug testing does not address the real issue, which is the ability of the worker to function safely. Unlike alcohol testing, drug testing cannot tell you the likely effect of a drug on the person at a particular time. A more relevant test is an impairment test which gives an indication of whether a person’s abilities have been impaired by drink or drugs. These tests also do not just tell if a person’s abilities have been impaired by illegal drugs, but also by legal ones, which can be a bigger safety concern.

This sounds like a sensible approach instead of but it's an illegal substance there's the door son.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    It’s not so much a driving peeve, but why do people buy these ultra cheap cars? Dacia and some of these cars from the Far East. For the money you spend on a new one of these horrendous cars you can buy so many good used cars that will look, drive and last longer. Every time I see one I just think why have you bought that.

United we stand here....

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    A guy at my work a few years back tested positive for small trace of opium, so small they were sure he wasn't shooting up. I'm sure it took a few weeks to work out but turned out he ate some snacks that contained poppy seeds or something and that's what flagged.

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    It’s not so much a driving peeve, but why do people buy these ultra cheap cars? Dacia and some of these cars from the Far East. For the money you spend on a new one of these horrendous cars you can buy so many good used cars that will look, drive and last longer. Every time I see one I just think why have you bought that.
    Are you some sort of car snob? Why would you care what someone else is driving

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    When your overtaking and some twat pulls out last minute causing you to brake then gets all arsy when you flash him for being a dangerous ****.
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    Dacia is meant to be a pretty top car...but heh, what do the experts know.

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/dacia/duster
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    People waiting at traffic lights who intend to turn right but don't indicate until the lights change, by which time a long queue intending to go straight on has formed behind them. There should be large fines/horsewhipping/stocks with rotten fruit for this.
    You’re far too lenient, they should be dragged from their cars and shot.
    THIS!! Please note white BMW driver eastbound at (what used to be) Meadowbank stadium. Arrggh.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    People who give me that look as I load the shopping into the boot whilst parked in a disabled space whilst displaying a blue badge at the Gyle. Then I join the wife and her Mum in Morrisons cafe for a coffee before we wheel her back to the car in her wheelchair. Even had one interfering old busy body ask me sarcastically if I was disabled.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Boatman View Post
    People who give me that look as I load the shopping into the boot whilst parked in a disabled space whilst displaying a blue badge at the Gyle. Then I join the wife and her Mum in Morrisons cafe for a coffee before we wheel her back to the car in her wheelchair. Even had one interfering old busy body ask me sarcastically if I was disabled.
    Just give him the mad stare and say not all disabilities are physical.

I don’t mind this, it’s a wee bit of self policing. If you have a genuine reason then it takes two seconds to tell the ‘old busy body’ the perfectly legit reason you are there.

That same busy body has hopefully put a few other more selfish types from taking advantage in future.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattler View Post
    Used to drive a Volvo regularly as part of my job, and still have one of my own. Would like to wager that I’m not any worse a driver than you are!
    I think this is defo one of my driving pet peeves. Drivers who decide because of what brand of car you drive what kind of driver and person you are. I find it extremely odd.

It also seems to cover a wide range of marques. From Volvo to BMW to Audi etc!

Quote Originally Posted by BS44 View Post
    Are you some sort of car snob? Why would you care what someone else is driving
    It’s a pet peeve thread. I just don’t understand why someone would want to buy one of those cars when for the same money you can buy a much better car.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by Wembley67 View Post
    Dacia is meant to be a pretty top car...but heh, what do the experts know.

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/dacia/duster
    **** all if they’re recommending people buy one of those.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    I don’t mind this, it’s a wee bit of self policing. If you have a genuine reason then it takes two seconds to tell the ‘old busy body’ the perfectly legit reason you are there.

That same busy body has hopefully put a few other more selfish types from taking advantage in future.
    You think people who quality to use a blue badge welcome people questioning them about their disability? I think not, people should mind their own.

You think people who quality to use a blue badge welcome people questioning them about their disability? I think not, people should mind their own.
    Fair enough. I don’t see it as questioning the disability though merely the right to park there.

I’ve been challenged a few times over the years when driving the old boy about. I simply point out the blue badge and tell them it’s for the old man.

Never bothered me a bit but hey it’s a free world and it’s a pet peeve thread so I’ll leave you to your peeve

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    People should mind their own, but then again there is a perception that blue badge abuse is rife so folk will stick their nose in.
    I do it myself, I see a car pull in to a blue badge spot and see a young fit guy/girl run in to the store. I'll ask if they're aware that it was a blue badge space, not once have they said it was theirs. It's always "I'll only be two minutes" or "there's loads of spaces", the best one was the guy that pulled an Ali G and proceeded to walk with a cartoon limp,,,, fair play to him.
    Like yourself, I drive relations once in a while who have blue badges. I choose to drop them off near the store then park somewhere else. I don't need the blue badge space and would rather it be left for someone that actually needs it.