hibs.net Messageboard

Page 30 of 115 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    With the amount of times taxi drivers just drive past you and blatantly ignore you anyway I’d suggest they need to drive slower if they’re driving at a speed to be able to see people flagging them down.
    You must look dodgy

United we stand here....

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    You must look dodgy
    Maybe resembles a runner

Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    Maybe resembles a runner
    Must do

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Whilst driving along Balgreen road last week I saw a guy wearing a suit cycling one of those foldable bikes. He had a young girl standing on the rear area with her arms around him and an even younger child balanced on the handlebars, all three without helmets too. What an absolute idiot.

People who can't understand the protocol behind two lanes merging into one, even with the big bending arrows in the road showing you what is expected. It's known as a zipper system, as in one from the outside lane, followed by one from the inside lane which keeps the traffic moving and everyone happy. Why do so many clowns drive at an angle to block the other lane as if to say "you're not getting past me mate". Just go with the flow, quite simple really.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAsHellas View Post
    People who can't understand the protocol behind two lanes merging into one, even with the big bending arrows in the road showing you what is expected. It's known as a zipper system, as in one from the outside lane, followed by one from the inside lane which keeps the traffic moving and everyone happy. Why do so many clowns drive at an angle to block the other lane as if to say "you're not getting past me mate". Just go with the flow, quite simple really.

Gogar underpass is a perfect example, 2 lanes into 1 it's clearly painted on the road that it's a merging lane but everyone all sits in the left lane and glare at you if you dare go down the right and merge in further down.

It all goes to pot when busy and the traffic backs up to a standstill.

@hibs.net private member EH6 Hibby's Avatar
    Absolute lunatic of a driver yesterday at Marionville, I realised half way along the road that I’d forgotten something from Sainsbury’s. There was nothing coming the other way and a break in parked cars on the other side so I indicated and went to do a u turn, the guy behind me then tries to overtake me by driving up the wrong side of the road, meaning he almost hit me as I started to turn round. He had the cheek to beep at me as well.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    I'm sure the issue of folk racing down the outside before bullying their way in before lanes merge has been raised, but I'm noticing more and more "self-policing" of this whereby larger vehicles like trucks will straddle both lanes and prevent anyone from passing.
    I see it regularly at peak times on the bypass going south from Gogar, a truck or lorry will straddle both lanes until the on-slip from Hermiston Gait. Also on the A8 underpass heading west-east under the Gogar R-A-B, a skip truck today, a few vehicles behind me, preventing anyone coming down lane 2. The thing is, those lanes are there to be used as long as folk follow the rules and merge-in-turn at the far end. The skip truck today held up quite a few buses & taxis which in my book should be prioritised through congested roads.

I've come to the conclusion that the best way to drive these days and not fall foul of the pet peeves on this thread is to drive as if;

i) You were sitting your practical driving exam for the first time and want to pass
    ii) You have a Police car behind you and you don't want to get tugged
    iii) You had a cup of scalding hot coffee between your legs and you don't want a skin graft over your nether regions

Roseburn is down to one lane at the Terrace where the shops are, nearly every car/bus and taxi move to the right hand lane as the inside one is closed, except this numpty in a big lorry who went right down the bus lane and pushed his way in at the bottom of Murrayfield Ave, guy couldn't care less and nearly took the front wing off the taxi in front of me. A case of I'm a big massive lorry, get out my way I'm coming through.

Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    I'm sure the issue of folk racing down the outside before bullying their way in before lanes merge has been raised, but I'm noticing more and more "self-policing" of this whereby larger vehicles like trucks will straddle both lanes and prevent anyone from passing.
    I see it regularly at peak times on the bypass going south from Gogar, a truck or lorry will straddle both lanes until the on-slip from Hermiston Gait. Also on the A8 underpass heading west-east under the Gogar R-A-B, a skip truck today, a few vehicles behind me, preventing anyone coming down lane 2. The thing is, those lanes are there to be used as long as folk follow the rules and merge-in-turn at the far end. The skip truck today held up quite a few buses & taxis which in my book should be prioritised through congested roads.

I've come to the conclusion that the best way to drive these days and not fall foul of the pet peeves on this thread is to drive as if;

i) You were sitting your practical driving exam for the first time and want to pass
    iii) You had a cup of scalding hot coffee between your legs and you don't want a skin graft over your nether regions
    The thing is if you look at the rules then you are perfectly entitled to use that lane and drivers are supposed to allow merging. It’s a general ignorance of the rules of the road that lead to this problem. You’re not supposed to change lane in order to overtake stationary vehicles, but if you come along in the outside lane you’re supposed to continue in that lane and merge at the merging point. The problem is that in this country everyone thinks it’s impolite to not join the queue. If everyone just stayed in the lane they were in before the queue we wouldn’t have this issue. I’ve seen loads of drivers pull out into the outside lane to block others from overtaking, which if the police saw them they would be charged with careless driving.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    The thing is if you look at the rules then you are perfectly entitled to use that lane and drivers are supposed to allow merging. It’s a general ignorance of the rules of the road that lead to this problem. You’re not supposed to change lane in order to overtake stationary vehicles, but if you come along in the outside lane you’re supposed to continue in that lane and merge at the merging point. The problem is that in this country everyone thinks it’s impolite to not join the queue. If everyone just stayed in the lane they were in before the queue we wouldn’t have this issue. I’ve seen loads of drivers pull out into the outside lane to block others from overtaking, which if the police saw them they would be charged with careless driving.
    I may not have punctuated my post correctly, I completely agree that both/all lanes should be used until they end then traffic should merge in turn.
    It's so simple, but then some drivers are so bloody minded they won't let people in which in turn encourages other drivers to squeeze in elsewhere or make silly decisions.
    Drivers that straddle the lanes as if they were town cops need to hand their license in!!!
    Last edited by speedy_gonzales; 31-05-2019 at 03:52 PM.

I may not have punctuated my post correctly, I completely agree that both/all lanes should be used until they end then traffic should merge in turn.
    It's so simple, but then some drivers are so bloody minded they won't let people in which in turn encourages other drivers to squeeze in elsewhere or make silly decisions.
    Drivers that straddle the lanes as if they were you town cops need to hand their license in!!!
    Yes you’re 100% correct, sorry for misenterpating your post.

United we stand here....

Drivers that straddle the lanes as if they were you town cops need to hand their license in!!!
    See this all the time approaching roadworks. Some fanny driving a lorry decides nobody is getting past and it's still 3/4 of a mile until the cones.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar

Anyone driving south over the Kincardine bridge will say the same, one lane is queued back for the whole length of road up to the roundabout, the other lane is completely empty. Despite 3 massive signs at the lights saying "merge in turn" dickheads on the inside lane do their best to block off people from merging despite it being the rule of the road.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Anyone driving south over the Kincardine bridge will say the same, one lane is queued back for the whole length of road up to the roundabout, the other lane is completely empty. Despite 3 massive signs at the lights saying "merge in turn" dickheads on the inside lane do their best to block off people from merging despite it being the rule of the road.
    I'm glad there is finally people who realise this. It's been a major gripe of mine that when arriving at the merge point in the outside lane, where fellow motorists would do their utmost to stop me merging and even start verbally abusing me. There's nothing worse than an idiot who THINKS he's right.

Drivers who when sitting in busy traffic don’t leave a gap to allow access to side streets off the main road. This does my head in, just because there isn’t a yellow box doesn’t mean you can’t use some common sense and keep the traffic flowing particularly when someone wants to turn right into that street but can’t and then has a big queue behind them.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent Boatman View Post
    Drivers who when sitting in busy traffic don’t leave a gap to allow access to side streets off the main road. This does my head in, just because there isn’t a yellow box doesn’t mean you can’t use some common sense and keep the traffic flowing particularly when someone wants to turn right into that street but can’t and then has a big queue behind them.
    The painting of yellow boxes on roads has worsened this particular unthinkingness.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!

I share your anger. Just imagine if it was a police car, ambulance or a fire engine that had to urgently get through to potentially save someone’s life but couldn’t because of some idiot not using their common sense!

Even when the yellow box is there, some drivers still stop in the middle of it which results in blocking drivers that went to turn into that side street or want to come out to join the road on the opposite side.
    Last edited by hfc rd; 03-06-2019 at 09:18 PM.

Car insurance. What a game it is. We were quoted £330 for renewal for our wee Toyota. Within twenty minutes I had several quotes over half that. When I went back to our insurer, the guy could only bring it down to £280. Cheery bye.

There must be loads of folk who don't have internet access who just go with the quote or take the revised quote, feeling chuffed that they've "haggled" £40 or whatever off the original..

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Car insurance. What a game it is. We were quoted £330 for renewal for our wee Toyota. Within twenty minutes I had several quotes over half that. When I went back to our insurer, the guy could only bring it down to £280. Cheery bye.

There must be loads of folk who don't have internet access who just go with the quote or take the revised quote, feeling chuffed that they've "haggled" £40 or whatever off the original..
    100%

it's simply criminal. I was quoted £130 more this year than last with no changes and no claims.

I did a quick online quote, found a recognised firm and took the quote that was 50 quid less than I paid the current year, therefore saving £180 on what I had been quoted.

called current insurer to say I was renewing and they gave me the old "can we match it" blah blah. I just flat out said no you've lost the chance to even try because you've taken the piss.

there really needs to be a greater regulation of insurance because it's the biggest scam going.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I got an email saying I wasn't on the insured database and couldn't remember who I was insured with. In a bit of a panic I got some quotes which were roughly the same apart from the people I was insured with. I took the new quote from a different insurer and called the original one to complain about not being on the database and was told "not every company does it, it's voluntary". Two days later I was pulled by the police for not being insured on the database. Gave them the name of my insurer and they resolved it in seconds. Next year I will go through the same hassle again. Tossers.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAsHellas View Post
    I got an email saying I wasn't on the insured database and couldn't remember who I was insured with. In a bit of a panic I got some quotes which were roughly the same apart from the people I was insured with. I took the new quote from a different insurer and called the original one to complain about not being on the database and was told "not every company does it, it's voluntary". Two days later I was pulled by the police for not being insured on the database. Gave them the name of my insurer and they resolved it in seconds. Next year I will go through the same hassle again. Tossers.

I was involved in a non fault accident (someone went up my arse ;-) ) but it’s logged as being my fault so it gets questioned every time I apply for insurance never been able to find anyone to change it including the company that done it!

https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/traffic-index/ranking

Guess the UK city with the longest delays?

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Topcashback is great for car insurance...you can get a bundle of cash back for a new deal so I always switch.

As it is my current insurer has sent a quote £150 higher than last year...40% higher so they were getting told to bolt anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/traffic-index/ranking

Guess the UK city with the longest delays?
    Does tomtom's method of calculating "delays" - comparing journey times with the ideal "free-flowing" time - not just indicate that (spoiler alert) Edinburgh has at least one time (probably early Sunday morning) when there is virtually no traffic (and pedestrians are too pished to bother pushing buttons to delay journeys)? London, for example, never sleeps, so however congested it is it will score relatively well because the "free-flowing" baseline is relatively high.

Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    Does tomtom's method of calculating "delays" - comparing journey times with the ideal "free-flowing" time - not just indicate that (spoiler alert) Edinburgh has at least one time (probably early Sunday morning) when there is virtually no traffic (and pedestrians are too pished to bother pushing buttons to delay journeys)? London, for example, never sleeps, so however congested it is it will score relatively well because the "free-flowing" baseline is relatively high.

Something like that. Don't know what London is like nowadays but when I lived there it was possible to drive from north to south through city centre in the early hours and not encounter many vehicles.

We’re often asked how we come up with the rankings presented in the TomTom Traffic Index. Unlike our data, our explanation is simple.
    The congestion level percentages represent the measured amount of extra travel time experienced by drivers across the entire year. We start by establishing a baseline of travel times during uncongested, free flow conditions across each road segment in each city. We then analyze travel times across the entire year (24/7) for each city – and compare this information against free flow periods to derive extra travel time.
    An overall congestion level of 36% means that the extra travel time is 36% more than an average trip would take during uncongested conditions. Average times are of actual taken trips, across every vehicle in the entire network, 24/7. Travel times in free-flow (uncongested) conditions are not based on speed limits but on actual trips made.
    We also perform the same calculations for individual hours of each day of the week, so it’s possible to see how high congestion levels are in each city during the busiest times of the day, including morning and evening peak hours.
    The TomTom Traffic index statistics are calculated from anonymized GPS data collected via navigation devices, in-dash systems and smartphones.

People who indicate too early instead of after passing the last opening before the one they intend to turn into.

People who indicate too early instead of after passing the last opening before the one they intend to turn into.
    People waiting at traffic lights who intend to turn right but don't indicate until the lights change, by which time a long queue intending to go straight on has formed behind them. There should be large fines/horsewhipping/stocks with rotten fruit for this.

Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    People waiting at traffic lights who intend to turn right but don't indicate until the lights change, by which time a long queue intending to go straight on has formed behind them. There should be large fines/horsewhipping/stocks with rotten fruit for this.
    You’re far too lenient, they should be dragged from their cars and shot.

United we stand here....