hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 114 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
    To drag up a peeve of mine again. Idiots who just do what they like at roundabouts. There's a roundabout at Fort Kinnaird which has 2 lanes and 5 exits. A sharp left to where Pets at Home is, a left to McDonalds, straight on, a right to B&Q etc or all the way around.

All the road marking make it quite clear that if you are going straight on then either lane is acceptable. That only works if people stick to their lane though. If you are turning left after the roundabout onto the A1 leading to the Asda at the Jewel or gojng straight on to Newcraighall being in the left lane is the correct place to be. It doesn't stop idiots going straight on in the right lane then as they exit the roundabout steering sharply left obviously without checking their mirrors to cut into the left lane. When you give a blast on the horn so they are aware you are there you can gurantee you'll get the beligerent open mouthed stare that is the mark of the moron who has no idea what they have done wrong.

2. Log in to remove the advert

The French. Lovely country, lovely people for the most part but really shouldn't be allowed to drive. I'm conscious this is borderline xenophobic but I'm not standing for election anytime soon so I'm hoping i get away with it

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The French. Lovely country, lovely people for the most part but really shouldn't be allowed to drive. I'm conscious this is borderline xenophobic but I'm not standing for election anytime soon so I'm hoping i get away with it
    I was in the French alps last week and saw 2 very risky overtaking maneuvers on blind corners in the space of 20 minutes near the dam at Tignes. Mental driving.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    My mate lives in Montpellier and says that the only reason the road system works in France is because everyone is making mistakes and if anyone followed the rules or drove properly they would cause havoc.

People in front of your taxi sticking to a 20mph limit in the middle of the night with no traffic on the road when you're late for your 6am flight

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    My mate lives in Montpellier and says that the only reason the road system works in France is because everyone is making mistakes and if anyone followed the rules or drove properly they would cause havoc.
    Surely that's up there with the "I drive better after a few drinks" statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    Surely that's up there with the "I drive better after a few drinks" statement.
    I think it was tongue in cheek and meant as an observation of the general quality of driving in France.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kavinho View Post
    People in front of your taxi sticking to a 20mph limit in the middle of the night with no traffic on the road when you're late for your 6am flight
    Hands up, that could well be me most nights. My vehicle has a tracker in it and when I go a few miles over the posted limit I get a warning, if I do 20% over I get disciplined and folk have lost their jobs.
    Most nights I drive through town and stick religiously to the speed limit aided by my "tracker", PHC's and black cabs find it hard to stick to the 20 apparently as I find they either sit RIGHT on my backside or will overtake (which is absolutely fine by me). I have no issue with other drivers speeding around but if someone is late or in a hurry then it's not my doing.
    For the sake of balance, it's not just taxis that struggle to keep within the limits, I was driving through Carricknowe in a 20 zone and I seen headlights in my rear view from quite a distance away and I reckon they were doing 40+ as the Wiseman dairies truck passed me on the wrong side of an island,,,,I don't think I could justify doing double the limit?!?

To drag up a peeve of mine again. Idiots who just do what they like at roundabouts. There's a roundabout at Fort Kinnaird which has 2 lanes and 5 exits. A sharp left to where Pets at Home is, a left to McDonalds, straight on, a right to B&Q etc or all the way around.

All the road marking make it quite clear that if you are going straight on then either lane is acceptable. That only works if people stick to their lane though. If you are turning left after the roundabout onto the A1 leading to the Asda at the Jewel or gojng straight on to Newcraighall being in the left lane is the correct place to be. It doesn't stop idiots going straight on in the right lane then as they exit the roundabout steering sharply left obviously without checking their mirrors to cut into the left lane. When you give a blast on the horn so they are aware you are there you can gurantee you'll get the beligerent open mouthed stare that is the mark of the moron who has no idea what they have done wrong.

Apart from being a peeve, it’s dangerous, and as you’ve said, usually met with incredulity or abuse because you dared to call out their crappy driving skills.

These people survive not because of their own driving skills, but by the skills of the other road users.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    Hands up, that could well be me most nights. My vehicle has a tracker in it and when I go a few miles over the posted limit I get a warning, if I do 20% over I get disciplined and folk have lost their jobs.
    Most nights I drive through town and stick religiously to the speed limit aided by my "tracker", PHC's and black cabs find it hard to stick to the 20 apparently as I find they either sit RIGHT on my backside or will overtake (which is absolutely fine by me). I have no issue with other drivers speeding around but if someone is late or in a hurry then it's not my doing.
    For the sake of balance, it's not just taxis that struggle to keep within the limits, I was driving through Carricknowe in a 20 zone and I seen headlights in my rear view from quite a distance away and I reckon they were doing 40+ as the Wiseman dairies truck passed me on the wrong side of an island,,,,I don't think I could justify doing double the limit?!?
    There's a great irony that you, specifically, made this post.

FWIW, I'll stick close to the 20 limit, the speed limits aren't time dependant and as much as I think they're over the top and needlessly cautious, it's still the law. Not saying I never speed, but I would say the vast majority of the time I drive sensibly and stick to speed limits.

It's a pet peeve of mine that folk get criticised for sticking to the law.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    One of my neighbours was booked a few months ago on cultins Road a few days after it became a 20.... The day after he'd told me about it I was overtaken by a cyclist (whilst shaking her head) as I drove past the entrance to the post office depot!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    People who don't acknowledge that you've stopped to let them through.
    A wee wave or a flash of headlights would suffice.
    Weirdly,due to my work,I get to see some strange stuff.

Women Will use their right hand to say"thank you".......You can't see it from behind,but they did thank you!

Get them to put on the rear windscreen wiper and 90% of the ladies look behind them,90% of the gentlemen look at the rear view mirror.......not a critique,just an observation !

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peanut Shaz View Post
    People who don't use bus lanes when it is okay to do so and look at you as if you were committing a criminal offence for doing it. It's quite simple, read the signs, they give the times they are in operation or not.
    Heading into town at meadowbank,before the left hand lane was turn left only.(bus lane)

Cop car at the end of the queue,sees me swanning up the left lane,

Next thing ,blues and two's behind me.

Stopped at a blue bus lane sign,
    Cop"this your personal lane"
    Me(pointing at sign)"during those times.....yes"

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    The bottom line is there are so many effin signs in the city that if you tried to read them all while driving you'd be constantly tailendering or being tailended.
    Yep, completely agree. Exactly why a new 15mph limit should be introduced, to reduce the ever present risk of tailendering.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Motorcyclists using bicyclists' pink boxes beyond the 'advanced stop line' at junctions. It doesn't really cause any harm or danger, I don't think, and not many do it, but it's fairly cheeky.

Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    Motorcyclists using bicyclists' pink boxes beyond the 'advanced stop line' at junctions. It doesn't really cause any harm or danger, I don't think, and not many do it, but it's fairly cheeky.
    Still 6 points and a fine if caught crossing a stop line when a red light is displayed,,,,I'm not sure if folk are trying to get a jump on the green light or whether they are sleeping at the wheel but the amount of drivers that will pull up at the first stop line then creep to the second is scary if not mildly amusing.

@hibs.net private member Future17's Avatar
    Still 6 points and a fine if caught crossing a stop line when a red light is displayed,,,,I'm not sure if folk are trying to get a jump on the green light or whether they are sleeping at the wheel but the amount of drivers that will pull up at the first stop line then creep to the second is scary if not mildly amusing.
    Three points and a fine I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    Three points and a fine I think.
    I'm not sure if there's a difference between a fixed camera or if witnessed by a real live copper, but the max is 6 points and £1000. At least that's what my friend Mr Lafferty tells me 🙄

I'm not sure if there's a difference between a fixed camera or if witnessed by a real live copper, but the max is 6 points and £1000. At least that's what my friend Mr Lafferty tells me 🙄
    Kyle or Austin? :-)

Seems bizarre there are different penalties for what is a black and white offence. I wonder if it's to do with whether or not you accept it or challenge it.

Part of the problem is that parking is allowed in the left lane along that road, so you can often only move into it at the roundabout. It doesn't excuse the dangerous driving, but it does explain how people get themselves into the "wrong" position.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    The other day I was heading out of the City, at the roundabout between the Barnton and Maybury I was in one lane and a HGV was in the other, I let the HGV go as he would need more room to navigate the roundabout and I followed him but not before an irate van driver blasted his horn at me. Yeah im gonna get crushed by a lorry because of your impatience

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    In a slow moving row of traffic that you're trying to join from a side-street, when drivers all bunch up together because somehow, letting you out is a cardinal sin. That's perhaps not just a driving pet peeve - general rude behaviour that I find bothersome.

Not being acknowledged after you clearly let someone through etc - I never beep the horn, shout or give them any fingered gestures. Merely give them slow applause and watch as they get angrier and angrier and I resort to nodding and clapping even more.

Merging lanes - I understand people going right up to the boundary - that's how it's supposed to work. What bothers me is people who come out of the inside (or whatever lane becomes the single one), fire up the outside for a hundred yards or so to then try and get back in.

The roundabout etiquette and parking right beside you does my head in too! Also, not necessarily parking beside me, but drivers of sizeable 4x4s who seem to think that the parking lines are merely a guideline - don't park over the middle of a white line and take up 2 spaces just because you're willy-extension is a bugger to park - you bought it, so learn to park the ****ing thing (and I say that as the driver of such a car, who can park the damned thing properly).

People (usually "yoof", but sometimes general schemie *******s in stupid looking luminscent coloured hatchbacks with a water-pipe exhaust and an installed air filter to make it sound "fast") who weave all over the road. You just look like a dick.

@hibs.net private member
    Sherrifhall roundabout. The lines are painted, the road signs are clear and have been in place for a good few years now but still folk go in the wrong lane and chop over - the worst junction being the one at the cockatoo - cars/vans pull up in the inside lane (for musselburgh or Dalkeith) and go straight for either Bonnyrigg or if really bad to the outside lane for the bypass.
    Last edited by Danderhall Hibs; 16-02-2018 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    Sherrifhall roundabout. The lines are painted, the road signs are clear and have been in place for a good few years now but still folk go in the ring lane and chop over - the worst junction being the one at the cockatoo - cars/vans pull up in the inside lane (for musselburgh or Dalkeith) and go straight for either Bonnyrigg or if really bad to the outside lane for the bypass.
    That A6106 exit and entrance is a nightmare. It's so easy because all the instructions are painted on the road yet people seem to go into a panic and weave about all over the place.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    Sherrifhall roundabout. The lines are painted, the road signs are clear and have been in place for a good few years now but still folk go in the ring lane and chop over - the worst junction being the one at the cockatoo - cars/vans pull up in the inside lane (for musselburgh or Dalkeith) and go straight for either Bonnyrigg or if really bad to the outside lane for the bypass.
    I've lost count of the number of times someone's nearly bumped my car by being in the lane for the Cockatoo but then decided they're taking the bypass. It's mental how often it happens.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    I've lost count of the number of times someone's nearly bumped my car by being in the lane for the Cockatoo but then decided they're taking the bypass. It's mental how often it happens.
    Believe me, it’s even worse the other way round. Traffic in the bypass lane cutting in front of you at the last minute. Really good exercises for my aging reflexes.

When you are at a T junction (where you can turn right or left). You’re waiting to turn right, and someone approaches from your left, and races up so that you can’t go, and then turns across you to travel away from you along the road youve just come down.

What did they Gain? You’re going a different direction so you’ve not got in front of them, and by racing up they’ve wasted more fuel and brake pads, but so many are desperate to make the turn before you, even though flashing you out as they approach is courteous and sensible.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    When you are at a T junction (where you can turn right or left). You’re waiting to turn right, and someone approaches from your left, and races up so that you can’t go, and then turns across you to travel away from you along the road youve just come down.

What did they Gain? You’re going a different direction so you’ve not got in front of them, and by racing up they’ve wasted more fuel and brake pads, but so many are desperate to make the turn before you, even though flashing you out as they approach is courteous and sensible.
    You highlight my main gripe about driving. The pointless things people do on the road. You see people changing lanes or overtaking in utterly pointless situations. Why do they do that?

United we stand here....

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    You highlight my main gripe about driving. The pointless things people do on the road. You see people changing lanes or overtaking in utterly pointless situations. Why do they do that?
    What annoys me is people who brake for no apparent reason. Was stuck behind someone yesterday in a 20 zone doing 20 (which is fair enough, I can accept that’s the speed limit but by going that speed there’s next to no reason to ever be slowing below it other than the obvious reasons) and they just kept on braking out the blue. Nothing infront of them, not approaching a junction etc, just totally random and pointless braking down to about 10mph. WHY?!

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Folk driving in front of you who swerve to avoid the smallest manholes and tiny potholes. Fair enough maybe in a beat up old Corsa but I had this clown in front of me doing this all the way through Joppa, Porty and along Seafield Road the other week driving a flippin Shogun. Bizarre.