hibs.net Messageboard

Page 29 of 115 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Doing 30mph going through holyrood park this morning (its a 20 zone I know) and there was still some prick in a range rover about 3ft from my bumper.
    Oh the irony 😂

2. Log in to remove the advert

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Or those that just hit the anchors to turn left or right without bothering to indicate, we are all mind readers though.

I absolutely hate that!

Doing 30mph going through holyrood park this morning (its a 20 zone I know) and there was still some prick in a range rover about 3ft from my bumper.
    Probably royalty 👑

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Iainhfc PSN ID: Iainhfc
    Folk who stop on 60mph roads to answer phone , close to a head on the other day 😮

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc rd View Post
    I absolutely hate that!
    Like Taxi drivers.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rodhibs55 View Post
    Like Taxi drivers.

They infuriate me, only seem to stick to speed limits when they have a fare in the back, other times they fly about the place pulling U-turns and radge manoeuvres to get to fares.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

They infuriate me, only seem to stick to speed limits when they have a fare in the back, other times they fly about the place pulling U-turns and radge manoeuvres to get to fares.
    Data show that negative stereotypes about “bad drivers” are simply untrue.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by rodhibs55 View Post
    Like Taxi drivers.
    Can’t stand them

As HC said, happy to obey the speed limits and drive sensibly when they’ve got a customer in the car. When they don’t, it’s like they are trying to become the next Lewis Hamilton and drive as fast as they want. Also lack of signals as well, does my nut in as well as those crazy U-Turns they perform!

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Boatman View Post
    Data show that negative stereotypes about “bad drivers” are simply untrue.
    What kind of data?

People who don't understand how right of way works. If there's an obstruction on your side of the road eg a bus at a stop or a double parked car you don't have priority to fly into the other lane forcing traffic coming the other way to take evasive action. Also if a sign says 'give way to oncoming vehicles' then it's there for a reason, it's a clear instruction so probably best to follow it.

@hibs.net private member oldbutdim's Avatar
    Women drivers who park at a crazy angle and then when you ask them to straighten the car up behave as if you have committed some sort of crime and make you sleep in the spare room for a couple of nights.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    People who don't understand how right of way works. If there's an obstruction on your side of the road eg a bus at a stop or a double parked car you don't have priority to fly into the other lane forcing traffic coming the other way to take evasive action. Also if a sign says 'give way to oncoming vehicles' then it's there for a reason, it's a clear instruction so probably best to follow it.
    What about this scenario - Your driving down a street that has cars parked on one side (your side) its a long enough road and winding, you cant see the bottom. To be honest most cars can squeeze by with one maybe needing to bump onto a kerb, The road i refer to is Northfield Farm Road.
    Now imagine your 3 quarters of the way along this road then a person starts to drive from the other end resulting in you both staring at each other with nowhere to go (Unless there is a sensible compromise and one pulls slightly in one way to allow the other to pass, even if its a wheel width on the kerb) but the driver refuses. The driver who caused this blockage who could clearly see that I was 3 quarters of the way down the road and would cause an obstruction then yells at you that she has the right of way as the obstruction is on my side, as per the highway code.
    You try to calmly explain that yes, the highway code does say that, but also the fact there is sufficient room to pass if we both compromise, and the fact that THEY cause the obstruction by not just waiting on me at the end of the road means the highway code in this instance is not what it says.
    This scenario happend and resulted in a stand off whereby she expected me to reverse all the way back along the road, despite pointing out there was now 3 cars behind me and she could easily get past or reverse a very short distance to allow all 3 of us to pass. Now she has been arguing with me about who should move and refusing to pass despite have plenty room, ive drivin the road a hundered times and had to do the bump onot the kerb, there is drive ways long the side he needed to bump and as such the kerb is lowered, so not even like she needs take a run at it. The police have been called I am told at this point and I am in such a rage at the refusal to listen to reason that cars have now backed up behind her as well.
    I was so angry and the stupity of all this I was like fine and sat there with my hazards on telling her I cant move (There is still room for her and other to pass if we both comprise).
    What saved the day as it was a Wednesday night and we had a home game and the guy behind me was asking the problem, could see what was happening and managed to say listen im trying to get to the Hibs game, (As was I) and he talked me and 6 other cars behind to all reverse to accommodate this absolute weapon. If Hibs had'nt been playing I swear I would have sat there all night till the Police showed up or she attempted to pass!!

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    The above post is similar to what happened this morning due to the school run. I was driving down towards the school to head to a hospital appointment. All cars are parked on the opposite side of the road, I am heading down when a mummy in a Chelsea tractor, having dropped off the darlings pulled out of the parked cars and proceeds up the road thus blocking my way. I stopped before another space so she could pull in, would she ****. She started arm waving and shouting. As I had to get to hospital I reversed half a mile but stopped at a point where she had to really do a tight manoeuvre back onto the right side of the road, if looks could kill! The window comes down for a tirade of abuse.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibee87 View Post
    What about this scenario - Your driving down a street that has cars parked on one side (your side) its a long enough road and winding, you cant see the bottom. To be honest most cars can squeeze by with one maybe needing to bump onto a kerb, The road i refer to is Northfield Farm Road.
    Now imagine your 3 quarters of the way along this road then a person starts to drive from the other end resulting in you both staring at each other with nowhere to go (Unless there is a sensible compromise and one pulls slightly in one way to allow the other to pass, even if its a wheel width on the kerb) but the driver refuses. The driver who caused this blockage who could clearly see that I was 3 quarters of the way down the road and would cause an obstruction then yells at you that she has the right of way as the obstruction is on my side, as per the highway code.
    You try to calmly explain that yes, the highway code does say that, but also the fact there is sufficient room to pass if we both compromise, and the fact that THEY cause the obstruction by not just waiting on me at the end of the road means the highway code in this instance is not what it says.
    This scenario happend and resulted in a stand off whereby she expected me to reverse all the way back along the road, despite pointing out there was now 3 cars behind me and she could easily get past or reverse a very short distance to allow all 3 of us to pass. Now she has been arguing with me about who should move and refusing to pass despite have plenty room, ive drivin the road a hundered times and had to do the bump onot the kerb, there is drive ways long the side he needed to bump and as such the kerb is lowered, so not even like she needs take a run at it. The police have been called I am told at this point and I am in such a rage at the refusal to listen to reason that cars have now backed up behind her as well.
    I was so angry and the stupity of all this I was like fine and sat there with my hazards on telling her I cant move (There is still room for her and other to pass if we both comprise).
    What saved the day as it was a Wednesday night and we had a home game and the guy behind me was asking the problem, could see what was happening and managed to say listen im trying to get to the Hibs game, (As was I) and he talked me and 6 other cars behind to all reverse to accommodate this absolute weapon. If Hibs had'nt been playing I swear I would have sat there all night till the Police showed up or she attempted to pass!!
    My sister-in-law stays on that street (she doesn't drive) and it's a nightmare for that.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    My sister-in-law stays on that street (she doesn't drive) and it's a nightmare for that.
    My mother in law stays down there and I pick the wee man up after my work. It is a nightmare but usually 3 things happen - There is a space on the left that you can pull into to let the on coming car through. The oncoming car usually sees and waits at the bottom where the road is wider, or reverses the short distance and if you both half way down where the road turns a bit one pulls in as left they can get to the parked cars and the other squeezes by, usually departing with the acceptable wave of a hand in acknowledgement of what you would expect.
    I quite often drop my mother in law off somewhere when I get the wee one and if im honest in hindsight I am glad she wasnt with me that day as her being a similar age to the woman I was arguing with, the mother in law is type that would have done something that would have resulted in the police really needing to be called!

Obviously there are exceptions when a bit common sense goes a long way.

I'm referring to the inconsiderate twats who swing out wildly from behind buses or parked cars with no consideration to what is coming the other way. There's a difference between being blatantly inconsiderate and dangerous and simply expecting other road user to show a bit decency. One of the worst places for it is Old Church Lane at Duddingston. there are always cars parked down one aside and if I see a car half way down the wrong lane I'll stop and wait, the problem then is that every wideo then takes advantage and sneaks out from behind the parked cars and into line behind the car I have let go. So rather than waiting on one car you sit whilst 6 or 7 cars pile past.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc rd View Post
    Can’t stand them

As HC said, happy to obey the speed limits and drive sensibly when they’ve got a customer in the car. When they don’t, it’s like they are trying to become the next Lewis Hamilton and drive as fast as they want. Also lack of signals as well, does my nut in as well as those crazy U-Turns they perform!
    I’m sorry but that’s just rubbish. I’m a taxi driver and I’m not going to defend the driving of taxi drivers, but to say we drive faster without a fare is bordering on ridiculous. How are you meant to see someone hailing you if you’re driving too fast? We’re far more likely to drive slower without a passenger. And for all the folk complaining about taxi drivers, the next time you try and hail a taxi that’s in the other side of the road and he doesn’t turn around for you, you can reconcile yourself that at least he didn’t perform a manoeuvre that you would disapprove off while you walk home in the rain.
    Sometimes a live and let live attitude is required to life.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I’m sorry but that’s just rubbish. I’m a taxi driver and I’m not going to defend the driving of taxi drivers, but to say we drive faster without a fare is bordering on ridiculous. How are you meant to see someone hailing you if you’re driving too fast? We’re far more likely to drive slower without a passenger. And for all the folk complaining about taxi drivers, the next time you try and hail a taxi that’s in the other side of the road and he doesn’t turn around for you, you can reconcile yourself that at least he didn’t perform a manoeuvre that you would disapprove off while you walk home in the rain.

Would you like me upload some dash cam footage the next time I come across it?
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

3pts away from home - i'm a happy glory hunter. jonty's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: jonty Wii Code: 7580 5998 4272 1376
    She probably couldn't reverse.

Would you like me upload some dash cam footage the next time I come across it?
    Do what you like. Your limited dash cam footage is a tiny example and largely irrelevant. The reverse of what you’re saying is far more likely to be true. If you have a fare on board you’re more likely to drive quicker as the price is mostly determined by distance rather than time. Your argument is completely ignorant as it’s clearly suggesting that taxi drivers drive slower with a passenger in the back to get more money for the trip. The speed you travel has absolutely no impact on the cost of a trip in a taxi. You bash on though with your dash cam stories though if it makes you happy.

United we stand here....

Do what you like. Your limited dash cam footage is a tiny example and largely irrelevant. The reverse of what you’re saying is far more likely to be true. If you have a fare on board you’re more likely to drive quicker as the price is mostly determined by distance rather than time. Your argument is completely ignorant as it’s clearly suggesting that taxi drivers drive slower with a passenger in the back to get more money for the trip. The speed you travel has absolutely no impact on the cost of a trip in a taxi. You bash on though with your dash cam stories though if it makes you happy.
    Genuine question, how then does it cost more if for example your cab was stuck in traffic for ages, the meter still ticks over.

Genuine question, how then does it cost more if for example your cab was stuck in traffic for ages, the meter still ticks over.
    The meter goes up slower than if moving. Your over all fare will be more if stuck in traffic but if two identical hires could be done in the same time the driver would make more.
    Last edited by Killiehibbie; 16-05-2019 at 09:26 PM.

Because a taximeter is calibrated, dependant on the local authorities fare table to count up per set distance traveled OR per time increment.

For example: 20p for every 200m travelled OR 45 seconds waiting.

Doesn't matter how fast you drive or how long you wait - the meter ticks along at the same speed.

Quote Originally Posted by brianmc View Post
    Because a taximeter is calibrated, dependant on the local authorities fare table to count up per set distance traveled OR per time increment.

Doesn't matter how fast you drive or how long you wait - the meter ticks along at the same speed.
    Every taxi/private hire car will have the local authorities' fare information displayed in their vehicle (* cos it's the council that set the fares).

If you’re stuck in traffic the meter will go up to reflect the time you’re in the taxi. It will as killie hibby says move much slower. My point earlier was that taxi drivers drive slower because they have a passenger is completely wrong as the speed we drive makes absolutely no difference. If you look at the taxi fare table it clearly states how your fare is calculated it’s based purely on distance travelled and time remained stationery. Driving slower will make absolutely no difference to how much the passenger pays.

United we stand here....

If you’re stuck in traffic the meter will go up to reflect the time you’re in the taxi. It will as killie hibby says move much slower. My point earlier was that taxi drivers drive slower because they have a passenger is completely wrong as the speed we drive makes absolutely no difference. If you look at the taxi fare table it clearly states how your fare is calculated it’s based purely on distance travelled and time remained stationery. Driving slower will make absolutely no difference to how much the passenger pays.
    I think he was trying to say speed limits and rules of the are adhered to when you have a fare but drive like lunatics when you don't. I must admit some drivers will race back to try and get an extra hire or 2 done before the streets are clear.

Yes that’s exactly it. The fact that the way everyone’s fare is calculated is in the back of every taxi and so many people still come out with so many false stories is disappointing.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    I think he was trying to say speed limits and rules of the are adhered to when you have a fare but drive like lunatics when you don't. I must admit some drivers will race back to try and get an extra hire or 2 done before the streets are clear.
    Maybe but in Edinburgh there’s a chance of getting a fare all over the city.

United we stand here....

Yeah makes sense, I have no problem or gripe with taxis, like LB says when I am looking to hail a taxi I appreciate the upturn or what ever manoeuvre it takes to get to me. I’ve never strayed to PH either as I generally like to get in a cab give my destination and be taken there without having to act as navigator or give a postcode!

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    With the amount of times taxi drivers just drive past you and blatantly ignore you anyway I’d suggest they need to drive slower if they’re driving at a speed to be able to see people flagging them down.