hibs.net Messageboard

Page 27 of 114 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibs#1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I got massively stung on an mot from Arnold Clark a few years back. Hit me with a bill for 1600 hundred pound (me being a bit naive and utterly hopeless with cars went along with it) also needed it back same day or I was buggered for work the next day.

After being told the price, I told them I didn't have the 1600. I was told no problem we'll put right through to our finance partners. ****in con men 😡 wouldn't touch Arnold Clark with a barge pole.

Bunch of ****s. I make a point of saying to a garage when its my MOT if theres any work needing done I'll do it myself.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Bunch of ****s. I make a point of saying to a garage when its my MOT if theres any work needing done I'll do it myself.
    Changes to the MOT rules that came in last year are making that more difficult for the home mechanic.

If you put your car in for an MOT and it fails on a major or dangerous item, that could be brakes or tyres for example, then regardless if you had any remaining time left on your old MOT that becomes invalidated and you cannot "legally" drive your car away from the garage. If you want to do the repairs yourself or take it to another garage to do the repairs, then you are required to trailer the car away as it effectively has no current MOT.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Throbbers who think that just because they are behind a tractor they have a god given right to overtake it regardless of circumstances. Twice today I had to slam the brakes on to prevent head on collisions.

Please ffs think twice and be patient.

When you park your car away from everyone else in a supermarket car park and come out to some heap of crap park 5inches from your door.

Car parking spaces in general. They’re too small for modern cars which have noticeably changed in size even over the last ten years. You feel like you can hardly open your door even though you’re parked plumb in the middle of the space.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Car parking spaces in general. They’re too small for modern cars which have noticeably changed in size even over the last ten years. You feel like you can hardly open your door even though you’re parked plumb in the middle of the space.
    I agree with this, though there are a few car parks which do have decent enough room.

Cars, generally, do seem wider. Obviously a lot more SUVs on the the road than in years gone by and smaller hatches and the like are broader too - I’m thinking styles like Nissan Jukes etc. In previous times, cars would have the same engine capacity, seating and boot size in a smaller overall size.

Part of me wonders whether it is to do with us, the people in the cars. If you were to track the physical stats of the population over the last couple of decades, then I bet average weight, waist size etc, has increased a lot. Are car manufacturers just responding to the fact that a lot of their customers need bigger seats (and hence bigger cars)?
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    I agree with this, though there are a few car parks which do have decent enough room.

Cars, generally, do seem wider. Obviously a lot more SUVs on the the road than in years gone by and smaller hatches and the like are broader too - I’m thinking styles like Nissan Jukes etc. In previous times, cars would have the same engine capacity, seating and boot size in a smaller overall size.

Part of me wonders whether it is to do with us, the people in the cars. If you were to track the physical stats of the population over the last couple of decades, then I bet average weight, waist size etc, has increased a lot. Are car manufacturers just responding to the fact that a lot of their customers need bigger seats (and hence bigger cars)?
    They probably are, and it’s also probably something to do with the rise of individualism and the desire for more personal space.

I think that modern, newly built car parks are getting the idea and are making spaces wider.

One thing that’s quite amusing is seeing how redundant garages built any time before the 1980’s are. You aren’t getting a modern Ford Fiesta in one of those.😂

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    Cars, generally, do seem wider.
    Whilst the explosion in SUV and faux 4x4 numbers might explain away the average increase in car size, I think the safety of the cage has increased a lot in the last 20 years. the A & B pillars are considerably larger in the average family car. I can still remember an Austin Metro that i used to drive, I think the pillars were made out of tinfoil and just as thin!

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    They probably are, and it’s also probably something to do with the rise of individualism and the desire for more personal space.

I think that modern, newly built car parks are getting the idea and are making spaces wider.

One thing that’s quite amusing is seeing how redundant garages built any time before the 1980’s are. You aren’t getting a modern Ford Fiesta in one of those.😂
    I had a new garage built in 1989, at the time I had a Fiat Uno (3.689x1.562m). I now have a Renault Captur (4.122x1.778m) and it wouldn't get in the door. I have spent the last 3 months insulating and converting the garage into a workshop .

The standard parking bay in a car park has been 4.8x2.4m for at least 30 years, and possibly more like 40 years. A Ford Mondeo is 4.871x1.852m so will not fit a standard parking bay.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    Whilst the explosion in SUV and faux 4x4 numbers might explain away the average increase in car size, I think the safety of the cage has increased a lot in the last 20 years. the A & B pillars are considerably larger in the average family car. I can still remember an Austin Metro that i used to drive, I think the pillars were made out of tinfoil and just as thin!
    Thats a good point, I hadn’t considered that.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    Changing the limit on Glasgow Road to 40mph...where is the sense in that???!!
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wembley67 View Post
    Changing the limit on Glasgow Road to 40mph...where is the sense in that???!!
    If you mean from the RBS building to Ratho Station, apparently it barely adds one minute on to your journey if the road is clear and travelling at 70mph.
    At busier times of the day it makes negligible difference.
    It also allows traffic to merge from Eastfield Road and the BP garage safer.
    In addition, it saves the council paperwork when they have to apply for the many TRO's when there are events on at the Royal Highland Centre, as they do just now.

At least this was the reasoning given by the local MSP when challenged about it,,,,

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Going to bring up the lanes on Leith Walk at the top of McDonald Road heading towards the foot of the walk. Taxis that know better in the wrong lane, same with the la fav cars etc. Every ****ing time. Nearly got hit by some ******** deciding to go straight on in his black cab today who then went on to hurl abuse at me. Helmet.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Going to bring up the lanes on Leith Walk at the top of McDonald Road heading towards the foot of the walk. Taxis that know better in the wrong lane, same with the la fav cars etc. Every ****ing time. Nearly got hit by some ******** deciding to go straight on in his black cab today who then went on to hurl abuse as no one onat me. Helmet.
    Why they changed that to right turn only is beyond me, turning right from Brunswick street onto Leith Walk you often can’t get into the lane of traffic as no one will let you in so many folk go into right lane then go straight ahead.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent Boatman View Post
    Why they changed that to right turn only is beyond me, turning right from Brunswick street onto Leith Walk you often can’t get into the lane of traffic as no one will let you in so many folk go into right lane then go straight ahead.
    I wouldn’t debate that. But at the end of the day it is what it is. Taxi drivers and La Fav cars know the lane layout and just blatantly ignore it and nearly cause accidents.

Cyclists going through red lights again. Happened at the junction where the Golden Gates pub used to be, I shouted to him that he just went through a red red light and green man, his response? Red lights don't apply to cyclists. Aye ok then you knobber...

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Cyclists going through red lights again. Happened at the junction where the Golden Gates pub used to be, I shouted to him that he just went through a red red light and green man, his response? Red lights don't apply to cyclists. Aye ok then you knobber...

Can’t stand them. They think they can do whatever they want.

The sooner they get licensed or start paying road tax if they want to use the roads to cycle, the better.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc rd View Post
    Can’t stand them. They think they can do whatever they want.
    All of them think they can do whatever they want?

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    If you mean from the RBS building to Ratho Station, apparently it barely adds one minute on to your journey if the road is clear and travelling at 70mph.
    At busier times of the day it makes negligible difference.
    It also allows traffic to merge from Eastfield Road and the BP garage safer.
    In addition, it saves the council paperwork when they have to apply for the many TRO's when there are events on at the Royal Highland Centre, as they do just now.

At least this was the reasoning given by the local MSP when challenged about it,,,,
    I can see the logic but oh my word coming along from New ridge go Gogar on Sunday morning with the road empty felt like a lifetime!

Most folk are still belting it but it's only a matter of time until police start patrolling it I reckon, easy money.
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

@hibs.net private member
    Folk that still think road tax is a thing and bang on about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    Folk that still think road tax is a thing and bang on about it.

It is for me, £190 a year!

@hibs.net private member
    You should get in touch with the Government HC - they abolished it in the 1930s.

I'm in Durban just now. If I thought there were problems on the road at home it's like open warfare here! It's mental.

The green man is a notional green man, he who dares wins. It's a chicken run!

Red lights don't count after dark.

Speed limits don't count at all!

Park where ever when ever you like, even in the middle of a busy 4 lane road! Just pull up and nip into the shop for a coffee.

Dual carriageways are only a lane and a half wide, interesting when out of town and overtaking! BTW overtaking isn't compulsory, undertaking is just as common.

All road signs are advisory.

They do have one thing though that I think is a good idea. Not only do they have similar penalties for using a mobile while driving as we do, although it's ignored, if caught the phone is confiscated and you have to go to a police station and pay around £100 to get it back. It might be available in a couple of days!

@hibs.net private member staunchhibby's Avatar
    We should adopt the phone confiscation if caught using it while driving.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by staunchhibby View Post
    We should adopt the phone confiscation if caught using it while driving.
    I'd rather we confiscated licenses.

Farmers in particular are among the worst for it.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Another one about folk thinking the rules don't apply to them. there are hatched markings on road between Barnton and Maybury which one woman yesterday morning decided to use as her own lane all the way up to the roundabout, notably going past the memorial to the guy that was killed on that road last year.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Anyone who tailgates is a dick but it's particularly annoying when someone tailgates when you aren't responsible for the speed you are going. If the person in front of me is driving at 18mph, is sitting right on my bumper and flashing your lights really going to help anyone?

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Anyone who tailgates is a dick but it's particularly annoying when someone tailgates when you aren't responsible for the speed you are going. If the person in front of me is driving at 18mph, is sitting right on my bumper and flashing your lights really going to help anyone?
    They are so close to you they probably can't see the other car
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member AFKA5814_Hibs's Avatar
    Its vehicle excise duty. It's a tax on your car not the road. Btw, mines is £30 a year. 😉

The new layout at the tip at Seafield. The fact that you have to turn left upon leaving when I want to head back to Porty! Gets on my tits!!