hibs.net Messageboard

Page 112 of 115 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113114 ... LastLast
Results 3,331 to 3,360 of 3436
    @hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzywuzzy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Electric car drivers that moan about other electric car drivers charging their car.

Local Facebook page is full of people losing their **** about this and losing it a bit more when they get asked why they don't have a charger at home is hilarious. The whataboutery is sublime.

I've not got an electric car and don't particularly want one. The thought of driving a car that is not manual gives me the fear.
    I can't wait until the day I eventually have an electric car, I'll park at a petrol pump and go get a coffee, go for a pee, wait for my subway etc... just like current petrol car drivers do at the charging points in garages at the mo!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Alf View Post
    I can't wait until the day I eventually have an electric car, I'll park at a petrol pump and go get a coffee, go for a pee, wait for my subway etc... just like current petrol car drivers do at the charging points in garages at the mo!
    I recently swapped an ICE car for an electric at our Munich branch. I drove down from Berlin to Munich in the ICE car stopping for fuel, food and ablutions which took about an hour. On the way back in the electric car I stopped about a 3rd of the way for the same, it took about an hour. The only real difference was that I was only driving about an average 130kmh on the way back as opposed to about 160 on the way there. I did eventually do a night stop near Leipzig but I would have done that anyway. If planned properly then driving an electric car is not that different from driving an ICE car, it's only really the infrastructure that makes the difference at present.

People driving about on days like today with no lights on.

No sun, low clouds, heavy rain, spray on the roads all means low visibility. Turn your bloody lights on. I don't buy the 'I have it set to auto' excuse either. Manually override it, you know if your lights are on or not and know better than a machine whether they should be.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

I've had to start driving the bypass 3 days a week due to a relocation at work.

The standard of driving in general at busy periods is just ridiculously bad. People diving into the outside lane without indicating, people who stick on an indicator and think that is a green light to force their way into a space that doesn't exist causing cars behind to have to hit the brakes hard, people coming off slip roads and veering right across into the outside lane and they quite clearly haven't checked if it's safe to do so, people tailgating, people staying in the outside lane until the last second before their junction then diving across 2 lanes to make it and again quite clearly not actually checking it's safe to do so......

I was on the road just before 7 this morning and traffic was just starting to bunch up between Straiton and Lothianburn. The number of people jumping lanes, sitting right on the bumper of the car in front and exiting and reentering on the slip roads was mad. It was no surprise to me when the radio announced there had been a multi car accident at Lothianburn about 5 minutes after I had passed. The way a few people were driving made it inevitable. The worst part is it's often innocent parties who end up paying the price.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

The standard of driving in general at busy periods is just ridiculously bad. People diving into the outside lane without indicating, people who stick on an indicator and think that is a green light to force their way into a space that doesn't exist causing cars behind to have to hit the brakes hard, people coming off slip roads and veering right across into the outside lane and they quite clearly haven't checked if it's safe to do so, people tailgating, people staying in the outside lane until the last second before their junction then diving across 2 lanes to make it and again quite clearly not actually checking it's safe to do so......

I was on the road just before 7 this morning and traffic was just starting to bunch up between Straiton and Lothianburn. The number of people jumping lanes, sitting right on the bumper of the car in front and exiting and reentering on the slip roads was mad. It was no surprise to me when the radio announced there had been a multi car accident at Lothianburn about 5 minutes after I had passed. The way a few people were driving made it inevitable. The worst part is it's often innocent parties who end up paying the price.
    Welcome to my world of daily crappy drivers, I see this and much more all day long, driving standards are shockingly bad nowadays.

Before I changed jobs I was round the bypass and back 3-5 times a week, sadly what you’ve experienced is every day, it’s almost surprising that there aren’t more accidents

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar

As others have said, and in the immortal words of John McClane, "Welcome to the party pal!".

@hibs.net private member
    exiting and reentering on the slip roads was mad.
    Watched a black cab driver do this and just about cause a pile up the other day on the bypass. No indicators used at any point and the driving was that bad I find it hard to believe a mirror was used at any point either. Oh and the speed limit was of course, not applicable to this particular driver.

@hibs.net private member
    Every time I drive back home from Glasgow late at night the M8 is closed.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grunt View Post
    Every time I drive back home from Glasgow late at night the M8 is closed.
    With no prior warning signs and a dearth of diversion signs. Happened twice coming back from midweek away games.

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    Traffic in Leith right now is a nightmare with Lindsay Road being closed for the foreseeable.

It wouldn't be so bad if half the roads in Leith weren't already closed.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    With no prior warning signs and a dearth of diversion signs. Happened twice coming back from midweek away games.
    My former in-laws used to live in Inverclyde. I was driving back at night myself (no idea why my ex wasn't in the car) and the M8 was closed. Started following the diversion signs and then got to a roundabout. No diversion sign at the roundabout. Got lost and ended up in some right dodgy looking place. This was in the days before internet on your phone and I didn't have sat nav. I couldn't find anywhere with a sign saying M8 or Glasgow. Ended up having to retrace the way I came and stay the night at the in-laws.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee_girl View Post
    Traffic in Leith right now is a nightmare with Lindsay Road being closed for the foreseeable.

Is that due to the subsidence caused by the trams?

Great time to be announcing the next tram line tomorrow.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    A85 closed in the centre of Crieff so the road is closed at the perth bypass at tesco, 15 miles away!!!! Traffic backed up past mcdiarmid park.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    Is that due to the subsidence caused by the trams?

Great time to be announcing the next tram line tomorrow.
    Apparently so.

This closure lies between my flat and my daughter's primary school.

Walking for most stuff isn't a problem but every now and again you need a carload of stuff and several places to be, so this is going to be hugely inconvenient.

Is that right though that they're thinking that this has been caused by the trams?

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This closure lies between my flat and my daughter's primary school.

Walking for most stuff isn't a problem but every now and again you need a carload of stuff and several places to be, so this is going to be hugely inconvenient.

Is that right though that they're thinking that this has been caused by the trams?
    That’s what the residents from the building are saying.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    My former in-laws used to live in Inverclyde. I was driving back at night myself (no idea why my ex wasn't in the car) and the M8 was closed. Started following the diversion signs and then got to a roundabout. No diversion sign at the roundabout. Got lost and ended up in some right dodgy looking place. This was in the days before internet on your phone and I didn't have sat nav. I couldn't find anywhere with a sign saying M8 or Glasgow. Ended up having to retrace the way I came and stay the night at the in-laws.
    And doesn't help when Google Maps is showing the road as open!

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    That’s what the residents from the building are saying.
    A friend used to live above the cafe in the block next to the affected flats. According to her there was investigation in to "movement" years before trams were there and measures were put in place to monitor it.
    It was also mentioned that the area to the front of the properties, probably where the road is, is actually a big bank of sand. You'd have to think any recent works would only have exacerbated the situation.

****ing burnshot ****ing road. Just blew a tyre hitting one of it's many ****ing potholes. *******s!!!! Not sure if the alloy is ****ed!

- thankfully no damage to the alloy
    Last edited by Fuzzywuzzy; 28-01-2024 at 01:57 PM.

The roads around Longstone / Redhall are an absolute disgrace. I've never seen so many potholes in a small area.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    The roads around Longstone / Redhall are an absolute disgrace. I've never seen so many potholes in a small area.
    It's UK wide. I was over in the summer and spent time in Cornwall, Alton Towers and London. The state of the roads was abysmal. It wasn't just the road conditions but also the verges in some areas are so overgrown that you can't see the road signs and many of those you can see you can't read because they're so filthy.

Edinburgh council planning to make large parts of the city centre public transport only in 2025. Royal Mile, Lauriston Place, Holyrood Park and both the bridges and the mound amongst others to ban car use.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/transport/edinburgh-roads-through-traffic-to-be-banned-from-key-routes-across-city-centre-4495063

There seems to be a lack of understanding at the council that some people, for a variety of reasons, simply need access to a car. Making the vast majority of the city centre car free is just going to push the issues elsewhere.

As an example, if you own a business or rent/own a home in these areas how are tradesman able to access these places if private vehicles are not allowed?
    Last edited by Since90+2; 28-01-2024 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Edinburgh council planning to make large parts of the city centre public transport only in 2025. Royal Mile, Lauriston Place, Holyrood Park and both the bridges and the mound amongst others to ban car use.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.c...centre-4495063

There seems to be a lack of understanding at the council that some people, for a variety of reasons, simply need access to a car. Making the vast majority of the city centre car free is just going to push the issues elsewhere.

As an example, if you own a business or rent/own a home in these areas how are tradesman able to access these places if private vehicles are not allowed?

Or access these places yourself?

Would drivers with disabilities be allowed to drive to/through these areas?

@hibs.net private member
    I think it said no through traffic for the roads so you could deliver and park there if disabled

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    Car insurance prices are a nightmare at the moment, I have a clean history and drive a Golf GTi and was getting quoted between 5 and 7 hundred pounds. Last yearmy insurance cost 350.

I'm in Turkey with a hire car at the moment. They drive like they're being chased by Satan himself. It's not helped by mental driving laws like traffic on roundabouts having to give way to traffic coming onto the roundabout. Weirdest of all though has to be pedestrian zebra crossings on the motorways.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Deliveroo/Uber Eats drivers. Heading down the Perth Road last night and the pavements were littered with cars around the takeaways blocking the pavements, cars parked with hazard lights on on double yellows, forcing the two lanes of traffic on a busy road to merge into the middle and crawl past each other, drivers running in between all this across the road to pick up their order or take it to the car.

Downright dangerous.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

I’ve mentioned this before but people parking on comers.

It’s so bad round Albion Road/St Clair Street at the minute. How no one has had their car hit yet I’ll never understand.

@hibs.net private member
    Another day, another black cab driver swinging out to do a U-turn from a parking space without looking.

Considering how much black drivers like to big themselves up and tell everyone they’re professional drivers, the general standard of driving by them is appalling.