hibs.net Messageboard

Page 104 of 115 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114 ... LastLast
Results 3,091 to 3,120 of 3436
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    (259)
    Joining the motorway. When you join the motorway you will normally approach it from a road on the left (a slip road) or from an adjoining motorway. You should

give priority to traffic already on the motorway
    check the traffic on the motorway and match your speed to fit safely into the traffic flow in the left-hand lane

If that's the rule then it's stupid, you have to go at a speed that the traffic is moving to safely join them, coming onto a motorway at 20mph because you get to the end of the merging lane is very dangerous when a large 60mph lorry is belting down the inside lane.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Mentioned before but folk on motorways or A roads that don't move to the right hand lane or allow you in when merging from a slip road.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    (259)
    Joining the motorway. When you join the motorway you will normally approach it from a road on the left (a slip road) or from an adjoining motorway. You should

give priority to traffic already on the motorway
    check the traffic on the motorway and match your speed to fit safely into the traffic flow in the left-hand lane

I always work on the principle that, whilst it’s ‘my lane’, it’s infinitely safer for everyone involved if I can make it easier for the vehicle joining, whether that’s by backing off slightly and creating space in front, or moving over a lane to create space. It’s courteous, safe, and sensible road craft.

never understood the ‘it’s my lane so I’m not moving’ attitude, it’s just increasing the likelihood of a crash.

If that's the rule then it's stupid, you have to go at a speed that the traffic is moving to safely join them, coming onto a motorway at 20mph because you get to the end of the merging lane is very dangerous when a large 60mph lorry is belting down the inside lane.

I think the law is what you describe, the joining vehicle should match the speed of the traffic already on the motorway

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    I'm confused. You see to disagree with the rule which states you should match speed by insisting youmshould match speed. . It doesnt say approach at 20 mph. Are you describing some sort of tail back on the entry lane?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    People who won't let you merge in when you go to the end of a lane to merge in turn due to a closure.

What is the issue? 'Merge in turn in 800 yards' means exactly that. It doesn't mean 'Panic, merge in after 50 yards, sit in a clogged lane for 750 yards, slow the traffic further than it needs to be then look smug because someone who understands zip merging can't get into your lane'.

If everyone utilised both lanes for their entirety then left space at the end of the closed lane to allow cars to merge then the traffic would flow better for everyone.
    It's the norm to not do that which makes it tricky. What you describe is correct, but in reality most don't bomb down to the front and zip merge which then makes it look like it's the wrong thing to do.
    Mon the Hibs.

Mentioned before but folk on motorways or A roads that don't move to the right hand lane or allow you in when merging from a slip road.
    They're not quite as bad as those who merge and just expect you to move out to the right for them. Presumably because they can't see that I'm about to be overtaken and I'm not able to move.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    They're not quite as bad as those who merge and just expect you to move out to the right for them. Presumably because they can't see that I'm about to be overtaken and I'm not able to move.
    …….. or force you to slow down, thinking they have a right to merge. If they reach the end of the merging section they should stop to allow all passing traffic to clear.

Quote Originally Posted by O'Rourke3 View Post
    I'm confused. You see to disagree with the rule which states you should match speed by insisting youmshould match speed. . It doesnt say approach at 20 mph. Are you describing some sort of tail back on the entry lane?

If you cannot merge at a decent speed, you end up at the end of the slip road with nowhere to go doing 20 mph.

I understand the bit where a car is being overtaken and can't move to the outside lane, that should be a case of slowing slightly and flashing merging cars in.

Happened last week coming back from the airport, going up the slip road indicator on, 2 cars inside lane just ignore me and I end up at the bit where the 2 lanes join at a halt, not great trying desperately to get up to speed with a couple of lorries bearing down on you.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    If you cannot merge at a decent speed, you end up at the end of the slip road with nowhere to go doing 20 mph.

I understand the bit where a car is being overtaken and can't move to the outside lane, that should be a case of slowing slightly and flashing merging cars in.

Happened last week coming back from the airport, going up the slip road indicator on, 2 cars inside lane just ignore me and I end up at the bit where the 2 lanes join at a halt, not great trying desperately to get up to speed with a couple of lorries bearing down on you.
    Failing to anticipate the action of other road users is a fail in the driving test.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar

It’s an all too common an occurrence. Far too many folk get behind the wheel and have zero awareness of what’s happening around them, they are in their own little bubble going from A to B and other road users don’t exist to them.

Don't think I've ever joined from a slip road at 20mhp. That would seem ridiculously slow to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Don't think I've ever joined from a slip road at 20mhp. That would seem ridiculously slow to me.

I take it you didn't read my post ^

Gotcha.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Whilst we are on the topic of joining/leaving the motorway, the weird junctions on the M8 where you exit the motorway on the right rather than the left. It has the effect of often slowing the outside lane.

Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    Whilst we are on the topic of joining/leaving the motorway, the weird junctions on the M8 where you exit the motorway on the right rather than the left. It has the effect of often slowing the outside lane.
    This used to confuse the hell out of me years ago when I first drove on the M8

I missed J18 about three separate occasions on the basis that there should not be exits on the right. Mate that went to Uni in Glasgow finally put me right.

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    The road outside the Eye Pavilion, Chalmers Street??? What a mess it is with pot holes. Probably the worst I’ve seen in town almost 4x4 territory.

Making Manse Road in Corstorphine buses and taxis only at certain times, absolutely crazy and totally unnecessary 😡

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Making Manse Road in Corstorphine buses and taxis only at certain times, absolutely crazy and totally unnecessary 😡
    Personally, I wouldn't say it's absolutely crazy. A lot of traffic comes up Ladywell Ave, on to Manse Rd then North via Clermiston Rd, also traffic from Saughton Rd Nth heading towards Drum Brae.
    It used to be called rat running but it seems to be the way of modern navigation apps like Google & Waze.
    Manse Rd is very narrow and doesn't even have full width pavements and the "bus gate" times align with the comings and goings of the local PS target than bus lanes in general.
    Traffic planners are trying to keep the bulk of road users to wider, more suitable roads rather than cut through narrow residential roads.
    The volume of traffic going through EH12 has grown massively in the last 25 years and it's a horrible place to walk through these days, never mind drive.

Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't say it's absolutely crazy. A lot of traffic comes up Ladywell Ave, on to Manse Rd then North via Clermiston Rd, also traffic from Saughton Rd Nth heading towards Drum Brae.
    It used to be called rat running but it seems to be the way of modern navigation apps like Google & Waze.
    Manse Rd is very narrow and doesn't even have full width pavements and the "bus gate" times align with the comings and goings of the local PS target than bus lanes in general.
    Traffic planners are trying to keep the bulk of road users to wider, more suitable roads rather than cut through narrow residential roads.
    The volume of traffic going through EH12 has grown massively in the last 25 years and it's a horrible place to walk through these days, never mind drive.
    Let’s agree to disagree.

Let’s agree to disagree.
    No problem, but out of interest, what is it you disagree with?
    I'm guessing from previous postings you've made (mostly Indian restaurants 🙄) that you're local.
    You must know the rat runs of Manse Rd, Kirk Loan and Station Rd. In this case, Manse Rd can get overly busy at peak times, and at the southern end the pavement is barely 600mm wide. This road shouldn't be an arterial thoroughfare for folk to save time going via Drum Brae r-a-b. Genuinely, I've sat behind many a vehicle at rush hour on Saughton Rd Nth, they've cut off at Manse road, I head towards Tesco, we get to Drum Brae at the same time. No time was gained or lost.
    I understand many drivers think they have the absolute right to drive on any road that's open to the public, and it's difficult to argue against that, but with ever increasing volume of traffic and pressure on all spaces for all users, surely it's not a bad thing to focus the majority of traffic on the larger roads and restrict/reduce access to minor roads?
    I remember the stushie when they closed off the western end of Gylemuir Rd as folk used that to bypass Drum Brae roundabout, don't think many folk would want that decision reversed these days 🤔

I'm guessing from previous postings you've made (mostly Indian restaurants 🙄) that you're local.
    You must know the rat runs of Manse Rd, Kirk Loan and Station Rd. In this case, Manse Rd can get overly busy at peak times, and at the southern end the pavement is barely 600mm wide. This road shouldn't be an arterial thoroughfare for folk to save time going via Drum Brae r-a-b. Genuinely, I've sat behind many a vehicle at rush hour on Saughton Rd Nth, they've cut off at Manse road, I head towards Tesco, we get to Drum Brae at the same time. No time was gained or lost.
    I understand many drivers think they have the absolute right to drive on any road that's open to the public, and it's difficult to argue against that, but with ever increasing volume of traffic and pressure on all spaces for all users, surely it's not a bad thing to focus the majority of traffic on the larger roads and restrict/reduce access to minor roads?
    I remember the stushie when they closed off the western end of Gylemuir Rd as folk used that to bypass Drum Brae roundabout, don't think many folk would want that decision reversed these days 🤔
    I don’t consider it a rat run, I consider it a legitimate route that saves time and gives access left or right to St Johns Road. We’ve had the inconvenience of the ridiculously thought out “street park” at Featherhall Crescent now this. Yes I am local, I’ve lived in Corstorphine for over thirty years, my son went to Corstorphine PS so I am well aware of the geography of Manse Road and how it has coped with little or no accidents or issues for many years. It’s all about opinions and I’m sure some member of the clowncil who thought this one up was also responsible for many of the other farces across the city.

It seems you can drive up to Iceland and park outside of it but during the bus gate times you would have to reverse or turn round and drive the wrong way down a one way street to get out as you can’t exit onto St Johns Road!
    Last edited by Scouse Hibee; 20-05-2023 at 09:42 AM.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Let’s agree to disagree.
    My mother in law lives on Featherhall Place, and because they’ve closed the road that would bring you in from the West, and you can’t turn right at the Centurion, i usually have to go round past the primary school and then come to Manse Rd because the one way system there is better than meeting oncoming traffic on the wee road that comes up past the doctor’s surgery.

No need to make Manse Rd restricted further.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    I don’t consider it a rat run, I consider it a legitimate route that saves time and gives access left or right to St Johns Road. We’ve had the inconvenience of the ridiculously thought out “street park” at Featherhall Crescent now this. Yes I am local, I’ve lived in Corstorphine for over thirty years, my son went to Corstorphine PS so I am well aware of the geography of Manse Road and how it has coped with little or no accidents or issues for many years. It’s all about opinions and I’m sure some member of the clowncil who thought this one up was also responsible for many of the other farces across the city.

It seems you can drive up to Iceland and park outside of it but during the bus gate times you would have to reverse or turn round and drive the wrong way down a one way street to get out as you can’t exit onto St Johns Road!
    Apparently they are making it two way to resolve that issue with Iceland which will probably cause even more problems.

Apparently they are making it two way to resolve that issue with Iceland which will probably cause even more problems.
    Haha that sounds about right for this project 😂

Coburg St is closing both ways as of this Monday coming, more friggin nonsense by this council.

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    Coburg St is closing both ways as of this Monday coming, more friggin nonsense by this council.
    Them closing Burgess Street has been a right pain as well. Just forces everyone onto an already busy Salamander Street.

There's rumours going around that cars won't be able to get along Links Place soon, will have to turn down onto Salamander Place.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    I'm guessing from previous postings you've made (mostly Indian restaurants ��) that you're local.
    I remember the stushie when they closed off the western end of Gylemuir Rd as folk used that to bypass Drum Brae roundabout, don't think many folk would want that decision reversed these days ��
    This is the councils fault, roads that used to run fairly freely are now being clogged up by poor trafficking systems, no infrastructure upgrading despite increase in population and poor road lay outs, drivers are taking alternative routes to avoid being stuck in traffic. I hate driving through residential areas but it can save a fair bit of time if the traffic is worse than usual.

Successive complaints about the council without the use of the word "clowncil"...
    Mon the Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatecrasher View Post
    This is the councils fault, roads that used to run fairly freely are now being clogged up by poor trafficking systems, no infrastructure upgrading despite increase in population and poor road lay outs, drivers are taking alternative routes to avoid being stuck in traffic. I hate driving through residential areas but it can save a fair bit of time if the traffic is worse than usual.
    In my experience, it's not a new thing. 20+ years ago I'd come off the A8 before the zoo and take a left on to Pinkhill, through Traquair Park, on to Corstorphine High St then back to Drum Brae r-a-b. During busy times this could save me (easily) over 10 minutes. Proper rat running and obviously not ideal for those living on what should be quieter roads.
    Traffic/congestion has got a lot worse since then and like you said, no new roads are being built to expedite traffic out of the area.
    Since the congestion charge referendum (and subsequent rejection), the electorate have installed councils of various flavours but they have all had a common theme of implementing schemes that are more stick than carrot. My opinion is we've ran out of carrots, during busy times there's more car than road and something (clearly) has to give.
    I genuinely don't know what the answer is but it's clear as day that someone in charge is trying to focus traffic down main/trunk road and quieten down through traffic in residential areas.