hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 97 of 98 FirstFirst ... 478795969798 LastLast
Results 2,881 to 2,910 of 2924
  1. #2881
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    329
    Impatient drivers who have to wait for 30 seconds or so for a bus to pull away from a bus stop. 400 stopped at the bus stop outside the dentist in Colinton Village just before the corner/bend leading to bridge heading to Gillespie crossroads. I stopped behind it as I was not prepared to overtake on a bend where I couldn't see what was coming. White van man behind me, sounds horn, raises his hands and shakes his head because he had to wait. Then proceeded to tailgate me all the way to the traffic lights at Lanark Road.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2882
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They shouldn't be doing that, whether the car on the roundabout is indicating or not.
    You are probably right - but you should be able to do that and normally can as most people have the ability to work an indicator - it helps reduce congestion and gets the traffic flowing. The original person who hasn't indicated is incorrectly stating to the world they are going off at the 2nd exit, so they are the ones causing the problem.
    Last edited by LaMotta; 26-09-2022 at 07:42 PM.

  4. #2883
    @hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    27,620
    Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You should be able to do that and normally can - it helps reduce congestion and gets the traffic flowing. The original person who hasn't indicated is incorrectly stating to the world they are going off at the 2nd exit, so they are the ones causing the problem.
    Pretty sure that if you pull on to a roundabout when there is a car already on it, you will be at fault if there's an accident.

    I tend to ignore indicators in these situations, for the reasons we're discussing. I try to look into the driver's eyes 👀:)

  5. #2884
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pretty sure that if you pull on to a roundabout when there is a car already on it, you will be at fault if there's an accident.

    I tend to ignore indicators in these situations, for the reasons we're discussing. I try to look into the driver's eyes 👀:)
    Yeah had edited my post to say you are probably right, just was a bit slow.

  6. #2885
    @hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,166
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm driving the company Jaguar iPace just now and it's by far the best drive I've ever experienced. Looks like something Homer Simpson would have designed though.
    Does it have three horns cos you just can't find it when you're mad?

    Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

  7. #2886
    @hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    South Gyle
    Age
    37
    Posts
    6,773
    Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Surely that can't be right!?
    It’s not but apparently what a lot of people think.

  8. #2887
    @hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    31
    Posts
    13,357
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It’s not but apparently what a lot of people think.
    I read lane markings to mean something like what's on the sheriffhall roundabout. I wouldn't indicate on that unless I was needing to correct a lane error and move from 1 lane to another, or to indicate off the roundabout if the lane I'm in splits between an exit and continuing around.
    Mon the Hibs.

  9. #2888
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I read lane markings to mean something like what's on the sheriffhall roundabout. I wouldn't indicate on that unless I was needing to correct a lane error and move from 1 lane to another, or to indicate off the roundabout if the lane I'm in splits between an exit and continuing around.
    Sheriffhall is arguably different because it's lighted so if everyone is resisting the urge to run amber or red lights then no one should be entering the roundabout into a lane of moving traffic. I would still argue when approaching from travelling west on the Bypass anyone using the inside of the 4 lanes should still indicate as that is for vehicles turning onto either the A7 Old Dalkeith Road towards the ERI or continuing round to the A6106 and on to Newton Village/Millerhill. 99% of the time I'm on the road I use the 2nd of those exits and it's not uncommon for people taking the first exit not to indicate then brake sharply (no idea why they have to do this) when turning off.

    Maybe things have changed since I have passed my test but I was taught to indicate at roundabouts and junctions regardless of whether there were marked lanes. In the case of the latter your car could be blocking a left turn only (or similar) marking on the road so the driver behind may be unaware of your intention. TBH I generally don't bother at somewhere like Sherrifhall either with the exception of the junction I mentioned above. At somewhere like the Asda/Range roundabout between the A1 and Milton Link the roundabout is clearly lane marked but it would be someone either brave, foolish or suicidal who would try to navigate that without indicating their intentions.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

  10. #2889
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    736
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sheriffhall is arguably different because it's lighted so if everyone is resisting the urge to run amber or red lights then no one should be entering the roundabout into a lane of moving traffic. I would still argue when approaching from travelling west on the Bypass anyone using the inside of the 4 lanes should still indicate as that is for vehicles turning onto either the A7 Old Dalkeith Road towards the ERI or continuing round to the A6106 and on to Newton Village/Millerhill. 99% of the time I'm on the road I use the 2nd of those exits and it's not uncommon for people taking the first exit not to indicate then brake sharply (no idea why they have to do this) when turning off.

    Maybe things have changed since I have passed my test but I was taught to indicate at roundabouts and junctions regardless of whether there were marked lanes. In the case of the latter your car could be blocking a left turn only (or similar) marking on the road so the driver behind may be unaware of your intention. TBH I generally don't bother at somewhere like Sherrifhall either with the exception of the junction I mentioned above. At somewhere like the Asda/Range roundabout between the A1 and Milton Link the roundabout is clearly lane marked but it would be someone either brave, foolish or suicidal who would try to navigate that without indicating their intentions.

    If you are travelling west would the inside lane not take you to Dalkeith or A7 south ?

    As you say because the lanes are lights controlled there is little point in indicating as there is no encroaching traffic.

  11. #2890
    Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you are travelling west would the inside lane not take you to Dalkeith or A7 south ?

    As you say because the lanes are lights controlled there is little point in indicating as there is no encroaching traffic.
    Yep I meant to say travelling east
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

  12. #2891
    hibs.net Branch Member BS44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Greenland
    Posts
    2,161
    Quote Originally Posted by Peanut Shaz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Impatient drivers who have to wait for 30 seconds or so for a bus to pull away from a bus stop. 400 bus stopped at the bus stop outside the dentist in Colinton Village just before the corner/bend leading to bridge heading to Gillespie crossroads. I stopped behind it as I was not prepared to overtaken a bend where I couldn't see what was coming. White van man behind me, sounds horn, rises his hands and shakes his head
    Out of interest what would you have done if the bus was held up at that stop?

  13. #2892
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    329
    Obviously if it was held up for a longer than expected time I would have to assess the situation and perhaps overtake on the corner if there was no other option. But I certainly wouldn't be taking that chance unnecessarily.

  14. #2893
    @hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    South Gyle
    Age
    37
    Posts
    6,773
    Linked to the overtaking a bus one… placing a temporary light immediately after a bus stop but not temporarily moving/closing the bus stop.

    My wife was driving along and caught up to a bus at the stop and went to overtake as she has done many times, only to find a temporary light was immediately in front of the bus with no space to pull in and it was on red.

  15. #2894
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    55
    Posts
    21,842
    I was behind a learner driver today at the Longstone roundabout , understandably they were hesitant on entering the roundabout and waited far longer than I would have as a gap in the traffic came. I waited patiently. The erse behind me decided to lean on his horn and became extremely visibly irate. The car was clearly liveried as a driving instructors car but that didn’t deter him.

  16. #2895
    @hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    56
    Posts
    24,306
    The amount of crashes on Glasgow road from the Maybury to PC world roundabout, most seem to be at the car wash, think it’s folk who want to turn left and and run into cars that are in the bus lanes, time for a few cameras to be put up for the folk who think it’s okay to drive along the bus lane during peak times.

  17. #2896
    Coaching Staff Wilson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Falkirk
    Posts
    5,357
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was behind a learner driver today at the Longstone roundabout , understandably they were hesitant on entering the roundabout and waited far longer than I would have as a gap in the traffic came. I waited patiently. The erse behind me decided to lean on his horn and became extremely visibly irate. The car was clearly liveried as a driving instructors car but that didn’t deter him.
    I guess it is never too early to learn that there are some amount of ********s on the road.

  18. #2897
    @hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    48
    Posts
    2,407
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The amount of crashes on Glasgow road from the Maybury to PC world roundabout.
    Witnessed the aftermath of another accident on Glasgow road this afternoon. A black cab in the west bound bus lane that ends soon after the Marriot and a van in the middle of the three West bound lanes.
    Both vehicles scraped down the side where the came together.
    Would be unfair to comment directly on this accident as I didn't witness it but I have seen the wacky races that occur there after a football or rugby game, folk flying down the inside then merging at the last minute.

  19. #2898
    @hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    56
    Posts
    24,306
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Witnessed the aftermath of another accident on Glasgow road this afternoon. A black cab in the west bound bus lane that ends soon after the Marriot and a van in the middle of the three West bound lanes.
    Both vehicles scraped down the side where the came together.
    Would be unfair to comment directly on this accident as I didn't witness it but I have seen the wacky races that occur there after a football or rugby game, folk flying down the inside then merging at the last minute.
    Another one last night just past Fabios, looked like a Audi had hit a parked car.

  20. #2899
    Is drivers leaving the Bypass at a junction then rejoining the carriageway from the slip road at the other side of the same junction a new thing?

    Watched a guy doing this the other night at the 3 junctions from Straiton to Dreghorn and I think he got ahead of about 4 cars in total. Seems utterly pointless to me and probably contributes to the congestion we are all having to sit in.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

  21. #2900
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,430
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is drivers leaving the Bypass at a junction then rejoining the carriageway from the slip road at the other side of the same junction a new thing?
    I sometimes do thos whe the M5 and M6 are at a standstill. Most times it gains me a decent amount of spaces, but sometimes I end up further back. I mainly do it to relieve boredom.

    The main one I like to do is to approach a roundabout in the right turn lane and go right around if there's a big queue in my lane. That can save masses of time where I live.

  22. #2901
    @hibs.net private member bringbackbenny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    across the forth
    Age
    50
    Posts
    1,408
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is drivers leaving the Bypass at a junction then rejoining the carriageway from the slip road at the other side of the same junction a new thing?

    Watched a guy doing this the other night at the 3 junctions from Straiton to Dreghorn and I think he got ahead of about 4 cars in total. Seems utterly pointless to me and probably contributes to the congestion we are all having to sit in.
    This happens every night at the northbound approach to the Queensferry Crossing. The vehicles which do it succeed in increasing the traffic merging from left onto the Crossing and slowing it down to a crawl for everyone else waiting in the 2 northbound lanes. And for the legitimate traffic from South Queensferry/Boness Rd.

    Does my heid in.

  23. #2902
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    329
    In the morning commute I have to head up Oxgangs Road North to turn onto Redford Road to join the bypass heading West at Dreghorn Link. Quite often it is stacked back down past Aldi and can take an age to move. I quite often carry on up the mini roundabout at the Hunters Tryst and go right round and head back down the hill and turn left.

  24. #2903
    @hibs.net private member McD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Livingston
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,806
    Quote Originally Posted by bringbackbenny View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This happens every night at the northbound approach to the Queensferry Crossing. The vehicles which do it succeed in increasing the traffic merging from left onto the Crossing and slowing it down to a crawl for everyone else waiting in the 2 northbound lanes. And for the legitimate traffic from South Queensferry/Boness Rd.

    Does my heid in.

    see it a lot going southbound on the fife side as well, folk going down to the roundabout at north queensferry and back up

  25. #2904
    @hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,166
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is drivers leaving the Bypass at a junction then rejoining the carriageway from the slip road at the other side of the same junction a new thing?

    Watched a guy doing this the other night at the 3 junctions from Straiton to Dreghorn and I think he got ahead of about 4 cars in total. Seems utterly pointless to me and probably contributes to the congestion we are all having to sit in.
    My belief for the years upto lockdown was people left the bypass at Hermiston Gate to join again at Sighthill. The number of cars on the inside lane trying to rejoin were why my route along the A71 towards Livingston was always blocked. They may have moved up as much as three places in the 30 minutes of saturated traffic on the road.
    The BBC did and experiment on the busiest stretch of the M6 at rush hour where the three cars were told (1) stay on the inside lane (stay outside), lane jump left or right.They all made the same progress.

    Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk

  26. #2905
    @hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Age
    41
    Posts
    29,371
    When you’ve been patiently waiting in gridlock traffic, normally around Leith recently, you finally get the green light to go and a pedestrian casually strolls out in front of you to cross the road, sometimes they’ve even got the audacity to smile or say thanks.

  27. #2906
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When you’ve been patiently waiting in gridlock traffic, normally around Leith recently, you finally get the green light to go and a pedestrian casually strolls out in front of you to cross the road, sometimes they’ve even got the audacity to smile or say thanks.
    There has been a real increase in absolute wideos since the change in the highway code.

    I'm predominantly a pedestrian when out and about so appreciate anything to keep us safer but it's all about common sense. A tightening up of the highway code to protect pedestrians at junctions seems to have become a green light for idiots and wannabe hard men strolling across roads all over the shop either desperate for confrontation or giving you the patronising smile.

  28. #2907
    @hibs.net private member McD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Livingston
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,806
    Not quite a peeve, as much as disbelief…

    driving along the M8 in rush hour this evening, to see a guy driving along with his dog on his lap! What possesses people

  29. #2908
    @hibs.net private member J-C's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Age
    64
    Posts
    27,322
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There has been a real increase in absolute wideos since the change in the highway code.

    I'm predominantly a pedestrian when out and about so appreciate anything to keep us safer but it's all about common sense. A tightening up of the highway code to protect pedestrians at junctions seems to have become a green light for idiots and wannabe hard men strolling across roads all over the shop either desperate for confrontation or giving you the patronising smile.

    This, people think they have the right to cross at anytime anywhere, one guy just walked across the road when my lights had gone green and I had to break hard to miss him, needless to say he got an earful from me.

  30. #2909
    @hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    37
    Posts
    19,951
    People who wait until they are already turning before putting their indicator on 🤬

  31. #2910
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    55
    Posts
    21,842
    Idiots who cut corners when turning right, had to break sharply this morning when approaching the junction to avoid my front end being hit. Remonstrated with the erse who thought he was some kind of hard man by telling me he would do me! Blew him a kiss and told him if he fights as well as he drives he’ll need help…..

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)