hibs.net Messageboard

Page 51 of 115 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,530 of 3436
    @hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Drivers who think the road is only for them, and when challenged turn aggressive.

Just been to my local supermarket, small, local one with a small car park. I turned in and there coming out, on the wrong side of the road is a young man in a VW Cirrocco. We were nose to nose and I would have to reverse out onto the main road or he would have to reverse back into the space he came from.

I stood my ground and he eventually moved back then swung onto the right side of the road, window comes down and tirade of abuse. Stupidly I gave him the finger.

I went to a parking space further into the car park and saw him park and jump out of his car and headed towards me. Fortunately I had reversed into the space so didn't stop and left him shouting at me.

How bad a day could he have had to elicit that reaction? 🙄
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    I broke down in the work van recently and pulled into the side of the road. It was in a town and although a reasonably busy road, there weren't too long queues forming to overtake on the single file road (a couple of minutes at most) the amount of people who seemed to think beeping their horn or shouting out of the window was going to make anything better was, quite frankly, hilarious.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

This happened to me on the way out of OT last week.

I was first at the lights on ocean drive waiting to turn right up towards new haven.

Car opposite me on North junction st indicating to turn right and in the right hand lane to turn down towards the shore.

On green I moved forward to turn right as nothing in the other lane going that direction.

Idiot opposite decided to turn left at the last moment so I had to suddenly brake. Then with his left indicator on went straight on towards ocean lane telling me to f off in the process!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Drivers who think the road is only for them, and when challenged turn aggressive.

Just been to my local supermarket, small, local one with a small car park. I turned in and there coming out, on the wrong side of the road is a young man in a VW Cirrocco. We were nose to nose and I would have to reverse out onto the main road or he would have to reverse back into the space he came from.

I stood my ground and he eventually moved back then swung onto the right side of the road, window comes down and tirade of abuse. Stupidly I gave him the finger.

I went to a parking space further into the car park and saw him park and jump out of his car and headed towards me. Fortunately I had reversed into the space so didn't stop and left him shouting at me.

How bad a day could he have had to elicit that reaction? 🙄
    Maybe a jambo not taking his medicine very well

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    People who after all this time still do not understand the traffic lights at the foot of Clermiston road. The amount of people that turn left on red is ridiculous.

Ignorant Parker’s

my street is always busy with cars, fair enough. One household gets regular visitors (yes even during lockdowns and tier 4), so the visitors know how busy it is.

there’s a few parking bays, and space for 6 cars parked on the kerb if people park sensibly - the main visitor to said household just abandons their car, and ends up taking up enough space for 2 cars, forcing residents to park a fair distance away.

Are parking spaces in supermarkets getting smaller or are cars getting bigger?

I’ve started parking in the hotel car park opposite the Asda where I live instead of dealing with the stress of trying to squeeze the car in a space that feels mere inches wider than it.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I’ve developed an irrational hatred for the thing on my works car dashboard that tells me when to change gear. It’s really prominent so you can’t miss it. I’ve driven for years and I’ll decide what gear I want to be in.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I’ve developed an irrational hatred for the thing on my works car dashboard that tells me when to change gear. It’s really prominent so you can’t miss it. I’ve driven for years and I’ll decide what gear I want to be in.

Stick a little bit of black tape over it, thats what I got advised to do.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Stick a little bit of black tape over it, thats what I got advised to do.
    I keep saying I’m going to do that but never get round to it.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by SaulGoodman View Post
    Are parking spaces in supermarkets getting smaller or are cars getting bigger?

I’ve started parking in the hotel car park opposite the Asda where I live instead of dealing with the stress of trying to squeeze the car in a space that feels mere inches wider than it.
    Parking spaces have been a standard 4.6m x 2.3m since the 1970s, cars have got progressively larger.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Parking spaces have been a standard 4.6m x 2.3m since the 1970s, cars have got progressively larger.
    Then how come some seem smaller than others? I mean normal spaces, not disabled or parent and child bays?

Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    Then how come some seem smaller than others? I mean normal spaces, not disabled or parent and child bays?
    I am quoting the design standard as laid out in the AJ Metric Handbook from 1977. I doubt it is a legal thing.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    I am quoting the design standard as laid out in the AJ Metric Handbook from 1977. I doubt it is a legal thing.
    Most parking spaces are 2.5 x 5m, sometimes reduced to 2.4 x 4.8m. Smaller than that doesn't work (you can go to 4.5m long when one end of the car can overhang the kerb).

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Most parking spaces are 2.5 x 5m, sometimes reduced to 2.4 x 4.8m. Smaller than that doesn't work (you can go to 4.5m long when one end of the car can overhang the kerb).
    I did say I was quoting the 1977 edition of the AJ Metric Handbook

When you let someone in from a side street/jucntion/parking space when it's busy.

A couple of hundred yards up the road they have the chance to return the favour to another driver and instead choose to roll tight to the bumper of the car in front to block them off.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Driving so far away from the speed limit that it endangered other road users.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news...ing-rush-hour/

Driving so far away from the speed limit that it endangered other road users.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news...ing-rush-hour/
    On that subject I regularly drive the Dundee to St Andrews road for work and the speed limit regularly changes between 30,40 and 50mph. There's next to no opportunities to overtake another car unless you get lucky but the amount of people who'll drive at 40 in the 50 zone, then 40 in the 30 zone is incredible.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    On that subject I regularly drive the Dundee to St Andrews road for work and the speed limit regularly changes between 30,40 and 50mph. There's next to no opportunities to overtake another car unless you get lucky but the amount of people who'll drive at 40 in the 50 zone, then 40 in the 30 zone is incredible.
    I hate what I call one speed drivers.

There's a road near me that goes 60, 40, 30, 60 then 30 in the space of about 3 miles. The number of people who sit at 40 the whole way is unbelievable. I would almost understand if they were to argue they were just being cautious on the 60 stretch which is a bit of a bendy country road tbf but the fact they speed through the 30 zone suggests they are just not concentrating rather then being careful.

People who do not look at speed limits and drive at 20mph no matter where about in Edinburgh they are.

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Drive in the correct gear and you won't have to see it

Two things from the last few days:

1) people who cut a junction. There's a T junction just outside my house and the amount of people who swing round on the wrong side of the road, despite not being able to see if there's a car coming is absolutely crazy. There'll be an accident one day and it'll come as a big shock to the idiots who do it, but to absolutely nobody else.

2) People not clearing their cars of snow. I saw 3 or 4 today who hadn't done their back windscreen ffs!

Are they not gritting the roads this year or what?
    I mean I accept that covid has changed things but if they stop accidents in icy weather it'll lighten the load for the NHS won't it?

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Are they not gritting the roads this year or what?
    I mean I accept that covid has changed things but if they stop accidents in icy weather it'll lighten the load for the NHS won't it?
    They gritted Kaimes Road thankfully for me 😁

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    They gritted Kaimes Road thankfully for me 😁
    Well the side roads around Drum Brae are deadly as are the pavements in general. What the hell are they up to? I've a good mind to go down to the Clermiston Road depot, hijack a lorry, and get gritting.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Well the side roads around Drum Brae are deadly as are the pavements in general. What the hell are they up to? I've a good mind to go down to the Clermiston Road depot, hijack a lorry, and get gritting.
    Agreed my road off Kaimes Road is like an ice rink.

They’ve not gritted most of the residential streets in Livingston. They’ve not come out and said they won’t be emptying bins on time and to bear with them because, surprise surprise, the bin lorries are struggling to get in and out the streets because if the conditions - use your fleet of gritters to get the streets more useable then!

we stay at the end of a street and there’s 2 inches of solid ice for about 300 yards from out house to get to slush rather than ice, which is freezing up now anyway.

and of course they’ll not touch any bagged rubbish sitting beside the bins either. WLC are a joke

Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    They’ve not gritted most of the residential streets in Livingston. They’ve not come out and said they won’t be emptying bins on time and to bear with them because, surprise surprise, the bin lorries are struggling to get in and out the streets because if the conditions - use your fleet of gritters to get the streets more useable then!

we stay at the end of a street and there’s 2 inches of solid ice for about 300 yards from out house to get to slush rather than ice, which is freezing up now anyway.

and of course they’ll not touch any bagged rubbish sitting beside the bins either. WLC are a joke
    This could equally fall into the standard Pet Peeves but our wee block of flats where I live have been an ice rink recently - we have two flats in our block of six occupied by elderly people and the path directly outside is a slope down to a car park - also on a slope - where the communal bins are. I've been making it my job each morning to head to the grit bin and grit around the bins and up the path so they can head out, walk their dogs and not be in danger. I've even gritted the pavement around the grit bin so people can use it safely if they need to.

Across the car park there's another block of six flats that have a similar path that leads up to the main road and bus stop. This morning when I was out doing my thing a mother of three kids who communicate entirely in screaming, she's only ever really seen wearing a dressing down, grass out the front overgrown and toys strewn all over the place had a go whilst hanging out of their window saying "Aye, dinnae see you gritting over at our path do we" in her trademark bellow. After pointing out that I don't work for the council and we have elderly people in our block, she bellows back "yeah but I have to go to the shops and the paths a ****ing danger and you're too ****ing lazy to do it".

I'm not one to swear at people at all but just had to reply "What's stopping you from getting off your arse and doing it then?" to get another mouthful back. Popped out to the bins earlier and seen that nobody's thought of gritting it there.

I can understand having a go at the council - though I can imagine that this year has been more difficult to plan things as they normally would - but spent the day staggered about some peoples laziness and lack of gratefulness.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    This could equally fall into the standard Pet Peeves but our wee block of flats where I live have been an ice rink recently - we have two flats in our block of six occupied by elderly people and the path directly outside is a slope down to a car park - also on a slope - where the communal bins are. I've been making it my job each morning to head to the grit bin and grit around the bins and up the path so they can head out, walk their dogs and not be in danger. I've even gritted the pavement around the grit bin so people can use it safely if they need to.

Across the car park there's another block of six flats that have a similar path that leads up to the main road and bus stop. This morning when I was out doing my thing a mother of three kids who communicate entirely in screaming, she's only ever really seen wearing a dressing down, grass out the front overgrown and toys strewn all over the place had a go whilst hanging out of their window saying "Aye, dinnae see you gritting over at our path do we" in her trademark bellow. After pointing out that I don't work for the council and we have elderly people in our block, she bellows back "yeah but I have to go to the shops and the paths a ****ing danger and you're too ****ing lazy to do it".

I'm not one to swear at people at all but just had to reply "What's stopping you from getting off your arse and doing it then?" to get another mouthful back. Popped out to the bins earlier and seen that nobody's thought of gritting it there.

I can understand having a go at the council - though I can imagine that this year has been more difficult to plan things as they normally would - but spent the day staggered about some peoples laziness and lack of gratefulness.
    I'm not sure I could be so eloquent and polite given the circumstances.
    Unsure if it's the isolation, but I've noticed a lot of folk not clearing the paths outside their properties around the Corstorphine area.
    It used to be a pride thing, make sure the snow was cleared before it was compacted and then grit the path, but this year has been really poor.
    I was out early on the 27th, clearing the snow off the path on my side of the street, I cleared outside 5 houses before I popped in for a cup of tea. I had barely took my boots off when the door went, a neighbour across the way asked if I was going to do their side.
    I could only utter 'fraid not before closing the door. I was fuming because the neighbour has obviously been watching me and came across in the hope I'd carry on.
    I've since heard she's pee'd & moaned and even questioned my "community spirit"???

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    Unsure if it's the isolation, but I've noticed a lot of folk not clearing the paths outside their properties around the Corstorphine area.
    It used to be a pride thing, make sure the snow was cleared before it was compacted and then grit the path, but this year has been really poor.
    I was out early on the 27th, clearing the snow off the path on my side of the street, I cleared outside 5 houses before I popped in for a cup of tea. I had barely took my boots off when the door went, a neighbour across the way asked if I was going to do their side.
    I could only utter 'fraid not before closing the door. I was fuming because the neighbour has obviously been watching me and came across in the hope I'd carry on.
    I've since heard she's pee'd & moaned and even questioned my "community spirit"???
    Did this lady have any obvious reason to not get involved and give you a hand? If not I can’t help but feel you should have told her to shove it up her arse.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post

Tell her to **** off whilst holding back the laughter and say with a smile theres your community spirt ya ****ing boot.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.