hibs.net Messageboard

Page 43 of 115 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 3424
    @hibs.net private member BigKev's Avatar
    Only just read the last page or so but my driving pet peeves are, in no particular order:

Folk who park on the wrong side of the road facing oncoming traffic on busy roads and expect to be let out as soon as they indicate to cross 2 or 3 lanes of traffic. I never let them out.

Halfwits who try to undercut at lights

Private Hire drivers (bound to be one who can drive without a sat nav and use indicators but yet to find one)

Folk driving at 20mph everywhere

People who can’t park between 2 white lines in a car park

Those who do their weekly shopping in a garage after filling up. Just move ffs.

Double parkers on tight streets

Idiots who have no idea of the right of way

Cyclists who sit in the middle of a lane or who think red lights are for four wheeled vehicles only

That’s it for the moment 😂

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Folk who park on the wrong side of the road facing oncoming traffic

And keep their lights on, the dip blinding all on coming traffic.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

What this latest nonsense with cyclists wearing what are essentially fake Police vests?

I passed a guy a couple of weeks ago who I thought was a Policeman on a bike, saw another guy last week then when I saw a guy yesterday I slowed right down to have a proper look and see what it was all about. It's a hi vis vest with reflective strips and a blue and white checkerboard patterm across the top. The box on the back looks like POLICE from a distance, it's only when you look closely you realise it says POLITE. One guy had a helmet with the checkerboard pattern round the back as well.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Neither am and I never do, it goes round the back without touching the car!
    Same. It usually means you can get through quicker with all the daftys queuing for the one on the “correct” side though.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    What this latest nonsense with cyclists wearing what are essentially fake Police vests?

I passed a guy a couple of weeks ago who I thought was a Policeman on a bike, saw another guy last week then when I saw a guy yesterday I slowed right down to have a proper look and see what it was all about. It's a hi vis vest with reflective strips and a blue and white checkerboard patterm across the top. The box on the back looks like POLICE from a distance, it's only when you look closely you realise it says POLITE. One guy had a helmet with the checkerboard pattern round the back as well.
    I’ve not seen many of these but I Imagine the theory is that a “white van man” won’t deliberately run a policeman off the road like he would a standard cyclist.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    They're not new, from memory I think it was actually horse riders that started the trend, then motorcyclists copied before cyclists jumped on the bandwagon.
    I'm neither for them or against them, but it's frustrating that poor car drivers will complain that they don't see the vulnerable road users but if they think they see "Police" then they'll behave differently.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    They're not new, from memory I think it was actually horse riders that started the trend, then motorcyclists copied before cyclists jumped on the bandwagon.
    I'm neither for them or against them, but it's frustrating that poor car drivers will complain that they don't see the vulnerable road users but if they think they see "Police" then they'll behave differently.
    Agreed it seems they have the same affect as the life size cardboard cut out of cops you see in shops, they make folk think twice which isn’t a bad thing.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Neither am and I never do, it goes round the back without touching the car!
    Well you must use different garages to me as when I have ever done that you are lucky if the hose reaches and it’s defo not long enough to around the back of the car on the ground without touching the car.

Might work on a small car or a hatchback..neither of which I drive right enough.

Ach well horses for courses I suppose!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    Well you must use different garages to me as when I have ever done that you are lucky if the hose reaches and it’s defo not long enough to around the back of the car on the ground without touching the car.

Might work on a small car or a hatchback..neither of which I drive right enough.

I’ve got a Kia Sportage and not had a problem with it.

Eh? It doesn’t lay on the ground, it’s hanging and easily reaches, try parking closer to the pump 😉

Eh? It doesn’t lay on the ground, it’s hanging and easily reaches, try parking closer to the pump 😉
    Some hoses are longer than others though.
    I can't stretch some hoses over or around the back of a Ford Transit Connect, and I wouldn't dare try it with my private car as I'm not wanting to damage the paintwork with the state of some of the hoses, covered in fuel product and grit.
    Many moons ago my then partner dragged a pneumatic airline over the bonnet of my car, it was like she's went over it with a Brillo pad.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar

Make sure you’re tight to the pump and that the back of your car is beyond the pump - they reach fine without touching the car provided you’re close enough to the pump.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Make sure you’re tight to the pump and that the back of your car is beyond the pump - they reach fine without touching the car provided you’re close enough to the pump.
    Hmm yeah I’m sure if I managed to get it all aligned correctly I could limit the contact but the fuel cap is still a bit down the side of the car so the fuel line still has to come down that side to some degree....You then spend most of your time trying to hold it away from the back panel / boot while filling the car...and that’s if the hose is playing ball, sometimes the recoil power on them is pretty strong so it’s always wanting to go back into the pump.

So I’m sticking to my guns on this in that it’s substantially easier for me to fill the car up when the fuel cap is on the correct side relative to the pump.

Others clearly disagree which is great for them as they save the few minutes on the very occasional time I have to sit and wait but I’ll happily wait for the convenience

sometimes the recoil power on them is pretty strong
    We still talking about fuel hoses here or a Magnum 45 ;)

I can get to the other side of my taxi fine, get closer to the pump, it's not difficult.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Hmm yeah I’m sure if I managed to get it all aligned correctly I could limit the contact but the fuel cap is still a bit down the side of the car so the fuel line still has to come down that side to some degree....You then spend most of your time trying to hold it away from the back panel / boot while filling the car...and that’s if the hose is playing ball, sometimes the recoil power on them is pretty strong so it’s always wanting to go back into the pump.

So I’m sticking to my guns on this in that it’s substantially easier for me to fill the car up when the fuel cap is on the correct side relative to the pump.

Others clearly disagree which is great for them as they save the few minutes on the very occasional time I have to sit and wait but I’ll happily wait for the convenience
    Many moons ago I remember pulling into a motorway service station, getting out and start filling up. At the pump next to me was a guy with a big Jaguar Sovereign V8, it has 2 filler caps at the bottom of the rear window and it was obviously needing 2 full tanks for the journey. As happens when you are filling up you look around, not paying attention to what you are doing. Well the driver didn't notice that his tank was full and overflowing by the gallons. He didn't fill one tank, then drive round to the other side of the pump to fill the second tank, maybe he should have then his accident might not have happened.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Exiting the roundabout in the outside lane travelling East at Sheriffhall.

The number of drivers in the inside lane who instantly try to force their way across to the outside after exiting is incredible. It's impatient and it's dangerous.

If you want to be in that lane when you exit, get into it as you approach the roundabout.

I've yet to see this, but it sounds like folk who like dress-up and want to pretend to be cops.

They're probably noting down number plates and making "nee-naw" noises.

Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    I've yet to see this, but it sounds like folk who like dress-up and want to pretend to be cops.

They're probably noting down number plates and making "nee-naw" noises.
    They’re not new I first saw them a couple of years ago, probably gives the cyclist a greater feeling of security and safety, quite a good idea in my opinion.

They’re not new I first saw them a couple of years ago, probably gives the cyclist a greater feeling of security and safety, quite a good idea in my opinion.
    I’m sure the woman who ‘invented my them was on Dragons Den and was laughter off and got a telling off that the police would be less than happy.

I think she got the last laugh tho as her business has went on to sell a bundle of them and made her a few quid at the same time.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    I’m sure the woman who ‘invented my them was on Dragons Den and was laughter off and got a telling off that the police would be less than happy.

I think she got the last laugh tho as her business has went on to sell a bundle of them and made her a few quid at the same time.

Something wrong with her business plan if she went on to sell a bundle but only made a few quid. 🤔
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Not so much a driving pet peeve but a "drivers" pet peeve.

I was out on foot with my wee girl in her buggy yesterday afternoon. On two different occasions I had stopped the traffic at a crossing, the lights had changed and I had a green man (so presumably the light had been red for some time for the drivers) but still there were drivers skipping the lights to nip through.

If you don't stop at a red light with a guy standing with a child in a buggy, when exactly do you stop?

As a pedestrian, you can't just accept that the green man means you can cross - you have to ensure that all traffic has stopped before making your move.

F ing ridiculous.

I know what it's like as a driver for the lights to change at exactly the wrong moment but this was just taking the piss.

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Not so much a driving pet peeve but a "drivers" pet peeve.

I was out on foot with my wee girl in her buggy yesterday afternoon. On two different occasions I had stopped the traffic at a crossing, the lights had changed and I had a green man (so presumably the light had been red for some time for the drivers) but still there were drivers skipping the lights to nip through.

If you don't stop at a red light with a guy standing with a child in a buggy, when exactly do you stop?

As a pedestrian, you can't just accept that the green man means you can cross - you have to ensure that all traffic has stopped before making your move.

F ing ridiculous.

I know what it's like as a driver for the lights to change at exactly the wrong moment but this was just taking the piss.
    Had a similar experience up at straiton yesterday, twice tried to cross the road at pedestrian crossings in the car park and both times had to wait while a car nipped across. Both times the drivers gave me a wave as if to say I know I should have stopped.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    Not a massive peeve as such, other than what appears to be more stupid Light placement.

The roundabout at Bellevue down Annandale street, now has 2 sets of lights just off it. One on the way down, and one when you turn left. Today was the first day I had seen both sets of lights be in operation and the traffic looked to be backed up to to the top of the street. I had come from along Hopetoun crescent so didn't actually affect me, but cars coming from this direction and from the bus station will add to the ones travelling down and being backed up to Elm Row.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibee87 View Post
    Not a massive peeve as such, other than what appears to be more stupid Light placement.

The roundabout at Bellevue down Annandale street, now has 2 sets of lights just off it. One on the way down, and one when you turn left. Today was the first day I had seen both sets of lights be in operation and the traffic looked to be backed up to to the top of the street. I had come from along Hopetoun crescent so didn't actually affect me, but cars coming from this direction and from the bus station will add to the ones travelling down and being backed up to Elm Row.
    I'd love the chance to have a chat with the people who make these decisions and discuss the process, as there's a few recent chances which don't seem to have been thought through, or perhaps I just don't understand.

I was at the Seafield Recycling Centre today and I still can't work out the logic for changing the entrance/exit the way they have.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Drivers that cut you up at junctions or roundabouts who then go on to brake check you for having the cheek to toot your horn at them. That should be points on your license if caught as its so dangerous.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Drivers that cut you up at junctions or roundabouts who then go on to brake check you for having the cheek to toot your horn at them. That should be points on your license if caught as its so dangerous.
    Lane discipline in general. Cut up twice by the same car driving from Lothian Road to Charlotte Sq on both 90 degree turns. It's not that hard.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Maybe just me but theres a speed camera at Oakbank on the A71. Posted speed of road 50 and it seems every car driving at 50 must slow down to 40 or below just in case..... Does my nut in.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I've seen 2 pieces of poor driving in the past week. 1st one was at Portobello Rd waiting to turn right into Wakefield Av, an open backed works van came from the left hand lane and cut right across the road to do a right turn, almost causing the front car to hit it as it was also turning right legally. 2nd one was at the end of Sir Harry Lauder Rd where a car came from right hand lane heading towards seafield cut right across 2 lanes to turn left onto Portobello Rd.

I really do wonder how some of these people pass their tests.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    I've seen 2 pieces of poor driving in the past week. 1st one was at Portobello Rd waiting to turn right into Wakefield Av, an open backed works van came from the left hand lane and cut right across the road to do a right turn, almost causing the front car to hit it as it was also turning right legally. 2nd one was at the end of Sir Harry Lauder Rd where a car came from right hand lane heading towards seafield cut right across 2 lanes to turn left onto Portobello Rd.

I really do wonder how some of these people pass their tests.
    I’m convinced some of them haven’t.