hibs.net Messageboard

Page 44 of 46 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1361
  1. #1291
    Not really a driving pet peeve as such but this stretch of the bypass is a disaster waiting to happen. It's almost like a ramp.

    https://www.google.com/maps/@55.8929...4!8i8192?hl=en


    That was in August and it has got so much worse now, anyone who doesn't know the road hits that at 70 is probably going to cause serious damage to their car and possibly cause a crash. I don't know who is responsible for maintaining that but it needs flattened and a new surface


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #1292
    First Team Breakthrough
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    442
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Iím convinced some of them havenít.

    If there are 50 cars on the road I often wonder how many are legal ie qualified driver or insured.

    Living near Dalkeith it is baffling the mess some drivers make of the Sheriffhall roundabout.

  4. #1293
    @hibs.net private member Future17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    36
    Posts
    6,162
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazzling Doidge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not really a driving pet peeve as such but this stretch of the bypass is a disaster waiting to happen. It's almost like a ramp.

    https://www.google.com/maps/@55.8929...4!8i8192?hl=en


    That was in August and it has got so much worse now, anyone who doesn't know the road hits that at 70 is probably going to cause serious damage to their car and possibly cause a crash. I don't know who is responsible for maintaining that but it needs flattened and a new surface
    I can't picture where that is. Which junctions is it between?

  5. #1294
    @hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Airth
    Age
    27
    Posts
    8,808
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can't picture where that is. Which junctions is it between?
    Looks like between Baberton and the Hermiston gate turn off to me?

  6. #1295
    First Team Breakthrough
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    442
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazzling Doidge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not really a driving pet peeve as such but this stretch of the bypass is a disaster waiting to happen. It's almost like a ramp.

    https://www.google.com/maps/@55.8929...4!8i8192?hl=en


    That was in August and it has got so much worse now, anyone who doesn't know the road hits that at 70 is probably going to cause serious damage to their car and possibly cause a crash. I don't know who is responsible for maintaining that but it needs flattened and a new surface

    It has been like that for 11 years. It is quite a scare if you are not aware it is there. Passed it again last night.

    Every year my MOT includes repairs to my suspension. The authorities know it is there but I suspect the repais cost is too high, perhaps.

  7. #1296
    First Team Breakthrough
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    442
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Looks like between Baberton and the Hermiston gate turn off to me?

    Between Gilmerton and Lasswade west bound.

  8. #1297
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    10,288
    Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It has been like that for 11 years. It is quite a scare if you are not aware it is there. Passed it again last night.

    Every year my MOT includes repairs to my suspension. The authorities know it is there but I suspect the repais cost is too high, perhaps.
    I must have driven over that plenty of times but canít say Iíve ever noticed!!

  9. #1298
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    15,315
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I must have driven over that plenty of times but canít say Iíve ever noticed!!
    Thereís two of them on the bypass, I noticed for a while the one near Baberton had a 50mph speed limit. I donít find them that bad tbh, but thatís maybe because I know theyíre there.

    United we stand here....

  10. #1299
    Testimonial Due Hibby Bairn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    2,771
    Edinburgh roads are a shambles. Queensferry Road just about bordering on undriveable in certain places. Roads you canít see any markings (Gogar roundabout approaches, Maybury Road just tarmac now - no paint).

    What a mess.

  11. #1300
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    10,288
    Oh found a new one today...cleaning the inside of your windscreen.

    Not only does it seem to require bizarre contortions of your hand / body to actually wipe the thing, no matter what technique or product I use it still seems to be left smeared...even when it looks like itís not a wee drive in the sunshine soon proves that wrong!

  12. #1301
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    52
    Posts
    19,828
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh found a new one today...cleaning the inside of your windscreen.

    Not only does it seem to require bizarre contortions of your hand / body to actually wipe the thing, no matter what technique or product I use it still seems to be left smeared...even when it looks like itís not a wee drive in the sunshine soon proves that wrong!
    I have a long handled padded windscreen cleaner for inside, can do it all comfortably from the drivers seat.

  13. #1302
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    10,288
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have a long handled padded windscreen cleaner for inside, can do it all comfortably from the drivers seat.
    Sheesh thatís my night sorted then....browsing Amazon for this nifty sounding tool.

    Probably one of those things that everyone has that Iíve simply never heard of!

  14. #1303
    @hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Airth
    Age
    27
    Posts
    8,808
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have a long handled padded windscreen cleaner for inside, can do it all comfortably from the drivers seat.
    Aw where dyou get that from Scouse?

  15. #1304
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    52
    Posts
    19,828
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Aw where dyou get that from Scouse?
    The wife got it, I think it was from one of the cheaper shops like pound type shops or home bargains. You can get them online from Amazon and have also seen similar thing in Halfords. Thought it was a bit daft to be honest when she gave it to me but wouldnít be without it now, even great for condensation inside first thing in morning.

  16. #1305
    Coaching Staff heretoday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    West Edinburgh
    Posts
    12,151
    New cars are all fat ugly great boats. When did that happen?

    I thought we were supposed to be getting more economical and green.

  17. #1306
    @hibs.net private member J-C's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Age
    61
    Posts
    20,202
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    New cars are all fat ugly great boats. When did that happen?

    I thought we were supposed to be getting more economical and green.

    Status symbol cars, big wide 4x4's taking the kids to the private schools, then onto the gym for their PT class. They're all big diesel guzzling 3 litre engines, because they were told to change to diesel as it was more economical and cheaper road tax.

  18. #1307
    @hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Airth
    Age
    27
    Posts
    8,808
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    New cars are all fat ugly great boats. When did that happen?

    I thought we were supposed to be getting more economical and green.
    My new car looks great. Kia Optima.

  19. #1308
    Testimonial Due MrRobot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    29
    Posts
    4,354
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: calhill19
    People who drive in the right hand lane on the A1 when there is nothing in the left lane. And further to that, people who do it below 70 mph

  20. #1309
    @hibs.net private member Future17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    36
    Posts
    6,162
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My new car looks great. Kia Optima.
    I haven't had many cars, but I like Kias. Currently have a Cee'd but had an Optima as a rental on holiday - very nice and easy to drive.

    Quite fancy the Stinger but a bit out of my price range.

  21. #1310
    @hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Airth
    Age
    27
    Posts
    8,808
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I haven't had many cars, but I like Kias. Currently have a Cee'd but had an Optima as a rental on holiday - very nice and easy to drive.

    Quite fancy the Stinger but a bit out of my price range.
    They are class.

    The value for money with Kia is immeasurable compared to the premium German brands. The equivalent kit for my car on a Mercedes would be knocking £45,000.

  22. #1311
    @hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Embra
    Age
    63
    Posts
    169
    Not being able to drive just now with the lockdown, I miss the freedom of just jumping in the car and heading off wherever and whenever I want too.

  23. #1312
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    52
    Posts
    19,828
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfiembra View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not being able to drive just now with the lockdown, I miss the freedom of just jumping in the car and heading off wherever and whenever I want too.
    I know what you mean, I am fortunate that I get out in the car twice a day to take/pick up my son from work, it only takes me 15 mins each way but it feels like a release from captivity twice a day.

  24. #1313
    @hibs.net private member Future17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    36
    Posts
    6,162
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know what you mean, I am fortunate that I get out in the car twice a day to take/pick up my son from work, it only takes me 15 mins each way but it feels like a release from captivity twice a day.
    Are you not breaking the law by doing so?

  25. #1314
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    52
    Posts
    19,828
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are you not breaking the law by doing so?
    Why? I am taking a key worker from my own household to his place of employment thus lessening the risk of him travelling on public transport.
    If thatís breaking the law then Iíll take the fine, no way am I letting him go on a bus, hopefully the IT will be sorted for him to work from home sometime next week. He carries a letter confirming his status in case we are stopped.
    Last edited by Scouse Hibee; 09-04-2020 at 07:18 AM.

  26. #1315
    @hibs.net private member Future17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    36
    Posts
    6,162
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why? I am taking a key worker from my own household to his place of employment thus lessening the risk of him travelling on public transport.
    If thatís breaking the law then Iíll take the fine, no way am I letting him go on a bus, hopefully the IT will be sorted for him to work from home sometime next week.
    Because you taking someone else to their work isn't considered to be a "reasonable excuse" to leave your home under the law.

    I absolutely understand why you would want to, but there are thousands if not millions of people across the UK who want to do things they think should be fine but are against the law and the governmental advice. If they all did what they liked and took the fine we'd all be in trouble very quickly.

  27. #1316
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    52
    Posts
    19,828
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Because you taking someone else to their work isn't considered to be a "reasonable excuse" to leave your home under the law.

    I absolutely understand why you would want to, but there are thousands if not millions of people across the UK who want to do things they think should be fine but are against the law and the governmental advice. If they all did what they liked and took the fine we'd all be in trouble very quickly.
    Can you show me where that is stated?

  28. #1317
    @hibs.net private member Future17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    36
    Posts
    6,162
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can you show me where that is stated?
    Do you live in England or Scotland?

  29. #1318
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    52
    Posts
    19,828
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Do you live in England or Scotland?
    Edinburgh and his work who issued the letter confirmed his travel arrangements are okay so thatís good enough for me, as itís under do not use public transport unless you have to, he doesnít as I take him.

  30. #1319
    Testimonial Due weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    The wee *****y of course
    Posts
    4,607
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Because you taking someone else to their work isn't considered to be a "reasonable excuse" to leave your home under the law.

    I absolutely understand why you would want to, but there are thousands if not millions of people across the UK who want to do things they think should be fine but are against the law and the governmental advice. If they all did what they liked and took the fine we'd all be in trouble very quickly.
    I think you are wrong with that. I and my work are still operating and we have said that there should be no use of public transport, no car sharing EXCEPT if you are being brought to work by a family member from the same household. And that is based in government guidance

  31. #1320
    @hibs.net private member Future17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    36
    Posts
    6,162
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Edinburgh and his work who issued the letter confirmed his travel arrangements are okay so thatís good enough for me, as itís under do not use public transport unless you have to, he doesnít as I take him.
    The relevant section of the legislation is below for Scotland:

    https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ssi/2...ulation/8/made

    I obviously don't know where your son works or what his employer has told him, but would imagine the advice not to use public transport unless you have to means if you can't walk, cycle, or drive yourself.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved