hibs.net Messageboard

Page 93 of 114 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103 ... LastLast
Results 2,761 to 2,790 of 3414
    @hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What question??

I've asked 4 but they can't answer one of them!?
    You havent asked 4 questions you asked one question and listed 3 possible answers. Your maths is getting worse. And as usual its totally irrelevant to the fact that driving too slowly is not acceptable.

There are plenty of examples of drivers being fined for driving too slowly on google. One has been stopped this week by the police because they were driving too slow.

You are either a troll on the wind up; have been consuming magic mushrooms; or a bonafide lunatic who should never be trusted with either the controls of a car or the buttons of a calculator.

Not responding to you again on this.
    Last edited by LaMotta; 22-06-2022 at 05:06 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    If your speedo is at 70 and your only doing 60, I'd suggest your speedo is ****ed.
    Real speed closer to 60, not 10mph below to what the Speedo says but always more than 5 and often 7 or 8. I'm sure a GPS with pinpoint accuracy is more reliable than an uncalibrated car or van speedo.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    You havent asked 4 questions you asked one question and listed 3 possible answers. Your maths is getting worse. And as usual its totally irrelevant to the fact that driving too slowly is not acceptable.

There are plenty of examples of drivers being fined for driving too slowly on google. One has been stopped this week by the police because they were driving too slow.

You are either a troll on the wind up; have been consuming magic mushrooms; or a bonafide lunatic who should never be trusted with either the controls of a car or the buttons of a calculator.

Not responding to you again on this.

Result 😂
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

What question??

I've asked 4 but they can't answer one of them!?
    The bit on his post that ended with a question mark mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    Real speed closer to 60, not 10mph below to what the Speedo says but always more than 5 and often 7 or 8. I'm sure a GPS with pinpoint accuracy is more reliable than an uncalibrated car or van speedo.
    I think the speedos are a % lower so as you get faster the mph you are out will increase

This thread has turned into a car crash!

Quote Originally Posted by stoneyburn hibs View Post

Quote Originally Posted by stoneyburn hibs View Post
    Theres a 40% chance LaMotta was involved

Quote Originally Posted by SChibs View Post
    Theres a 40% chance LaMotta was involved

Like to hazard a guess what he was charged with?

Driving below the speed limit?

Driving without a valid licence?

Driving without insurance?
    The Police literally confirm in the tweet the reason he was pulled over was because he was driving too slow. The initial police stop was nothing to do with insurance or licence, again as confirmed in the tweet.

Can you think why that would be the case?

@hibs.net private member
    The RAC's take on it

Although there isn’t an official minimum speed limit on most motorways, travelling too slowly can be considered dangerous and you might attract the attention of the police.

In this case, you’d usually be let off with a verbal warning, but you could be prosecuted for careless driving.

Inspector Gareth Jones of the Roads Policing Unit said: “Driving too slowly on any road can result in the motorist being penalised for careless driving which carries a fine and penalty points on a licence.

"Each case has to be dealt with on its own merit. However, we would advise anybody who witnesses driving too slow and who has dashcam footage that it can be submitted to us via our #OpSnap campaign.”

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stairway 2 7 View Post
    The RAC's take on it

Although there isn’t an official minimum speed limit on most motorways, travelling too slowly can be considered dangerous and you might attract the attention of the police.

In this case, you’d usually be let off with a verbal warning, but you could be prosecuted for careless driving.

Inspector Gareth Jones of the Roads Policing Unit said: “Driving too slowly on any road can result in the motorist being penalised for careless driving which carries a fine and penalty points on a licence.

"Each case has to be dealt with on its own merit. However, we would advise anybody who witnesses driving too slow and who has dashcam footage that it can be submitted to us via our #OpSnap campaign.”
    What is too slow?

In Germany we have a minimum speed limit of 31mph on motorways and dual carriageways and on some of them no speed limit. The responsibility lies with those driving fast to do so within their capabilities and with due care and attention. I very much doubt that anyone in the UK would be done for driving 40 (that was the speed mentioned in the op if I recall correctly) on the motorway unless there were other mitigating circumstances. Yes, the police might use it as a reason to have a closer look at a driver but unless there are other mitigating circumstances, then these drivers will probably be sent on their way with a polite word in their shell like.

What grips my **** is that some on here are basically saying that if you can't or won't do 70 on the motorway then you should have your licence revoked, that's not only bull**** but also discriminatory to whole swathes of people who depend on their car but don't belong to the elite bunch of super drivers we have on here. The road is for everyone who can drive safely, be that at 70 or 40.

Fill your boots and pick that statement apart, but it is and will stay my opinion on the matter and will also be my last comment on the subject.

Yours Respectively

A professional driver with 39 years accident free driving in many different countries.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    What is too slow?

In Germany we have a minimum speed limit of 31mph on motorways and dual carriageways and on some of them no speed limit. The responsibility lies with those driving fast to do so within their capabilities and with due care and attention. I very much doubt that anyone in the UK would be done for driving 40 (that was the speed mentioned in the op if I recall correctly) on the motorway unless there were other mitigating circumstances. Yes, the police might use it as a reason to have a closer look at a driver but unless there are other mitigating circumstances, then these drivers will probably be sent on their way with a polite word in their shell like.

What grips my **** is that some on here are basically saying that if you can't or won't do 70 on the motorway then you should have your licence revoked, that's not only bull**** but also discriminatory to whole swathes of people who depend on their car but don't belong to the elite bunch of super drivers we have on here. The road is for everyone who can drive safely, be that at 70 or 40.

Fill your boots and pick that statement apart, but it is and will stay my opinion on the matter and will also be my last comment on the subject.

Yours Respectively

A professional driver with 39 years accident free driving in many different countries.
    You shouldn't be on the roads if you aren't comfortable doing around 70 on the motorway, it's in the test for a reason. I suppose driving tests are discriminatory deliberately, you'd fail doing 40 on the motorway

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar

I was taking it that we all agreed that folks can drive at whatever speed they feel they can safely manage, some just didn't seem to grasp that two cars doing widely varying speeds can be more of a hazard than two going at the same speed.

Fwiw my wife is one of the slower drivers, totally hates dual carriage ways... I've always said, just stick in the inside lane and all will be fine, if she does want to overtake a truck or whatever make sure you've checked a long way back for approaching traffic as a car could be upon you quite quickly.

Edit: looking at the post before mine maybe not!

@hibs.net private member
    What is too slow?

Yours Respectively

TBF, your drivers are a lot better than anyone else's.

Take Belgians for example (and the Kennedy Tunnel is just scary!)

It's already been confirmed from a number of different sources that you actually can be given a warning, or even fined in extreme cases, for driving too slowly on a UK motorway.

I don't think anybody's anybody's actually saying that we should all drive like lunatics, just that one part of the job of UK transport police is too keep traffic moving as smoothly as possible on motorways, which can be very difficult.

The experience I gave on this thread a few months back was from my uncle, who served in L&B Police for over thirty years.

He told me that the most common approach when encountering vehicles driving way below the speed limit, and causing a tailback, was to pull the car over, check first that everything was OK and then explain the problems of driving at 40mph (or whatever) on a motorway. If they felt uncomfortable driving any faster than that. they would then advise them that it might be a better idea to consider an alternative route.

Actually fining somebody was extremely rare... and usually reserved for uncooperative ********s.

I really don't see why anybody would have a problem with that.

@hibs.net private member
    Uk least deaths the last time eu did a full report.
    https://ec.europa.eu/commission/pres...n/MEMO_19_1990

From this year 4th I think in deaths per 100k

Norway 2.7

Switzerland 2.7

Sweden 2.8

United Kingdom 3.1

Netherlands 3.8

Denmark 4.0

Germany 4.1

Ireland 4.1

Spain 4.1

Finland 4.7

Malta 5.1

Austria 5.2

Cyprus 5.2

France 5.5

Italy 5.6

Belgium 5.8

Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post

every satnav/gps I’ve used, 70 on the speedo has been about 67 on the satnav

Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    every satnav/gps I’ve used, 70 on the speedo has been about 67 on the satnav
    Same car or loads of different vehicles?

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Tesco are ripping the piss now, 192.9 a litre of petrol in Tesco at Duloch in Dunfermline, BP garage down the road in Dalgety Bay is only 186.9 and Sainsburys at Gorgie is 185.9.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

You shouldn't be on the roads if you aren't comfortable doing around 70 on the motorway, it's in the test for a reason. I suppose driving tests are discriminatory deliberately, you'd fail doing 40 on the motorway
    You don't go on the motorway on your test, ever.
    Last edited by Since90+2; 24-06-2022 at 04:40 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    You don't go on the motorway on your test, ever.
    Yeah your right its a duel carriage way, but stillneed to get close to speed limit. Although I think they are talking about motorway, I know you can go on motorway on your lessons now

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Tesco are ripping the piss now, 192.9 a litre of petrol in Tesco at Duloch in Dunfermline, BP garage down the road in Dalgety Bay is only 186.9 and Sainsburys at Gorgie is 185.9.

Prices are crazy just now but, yeah, that's some difference in price.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    You shouldn't be on the roads if you aren't comfortable doing around 70 on the motorway
    I don't understand why the Highway Code doesn't prohibit driving at less than 70.

All I can find is you should drive at a steady cruising speed which you and your vehicle can handle safely and is within the speed limit

4. On the motorway (260 to 263)

When you can see well ahead and the road conditions are good, you should
    drive at a steady cruising speed which you and your vehicle can handle safely and is within the speed limit (see the Speed limits table)
    keep a safe distance from the vehicle in front and increase the gap on wet or icy roads, or in fog (see Rules 126 and 235).

You MUST NOT exceed
    a speed limit displayed within a red circle on a sign
    the maximum speed limit for the road and for your vehicle (see Rule 124).
    Speed limits are enforced by the police (see Rule 124).
    Law RTRA sects 17, 86, 89 & sch 6

The monotony of driving on motorways and other high-speed roads can make you feel sleepy. To minimise the risk, follow the advice in Rule 91 about ensuring you are fit to drive and taking breaks.
    Service areas are located along motorways to allow you to take breaks and to obtain refreshments. Refreshment and rest facilities on the local road network may also be accessible from motorway exits.

Unless directed to do so by a police or traffic officer, you MUST NOT
    reverse along any part of a motorway, including slip roads, hard shoulders and emergency areas
    cross the central reservation
    drive against the traffic flow.
    If you have missed your exit, or have taken the wrong route, carry on to the next exit.
    Laws MT(E&W)R regs 6, 8 & 10 & MT(S)R regs 4, 5, 7 & 9

Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    I don't understand why the Highway Code doesn't prohibit driving at less than 70.

All I can find is you should drive at a steady cruising speed which you and your vehicle can handle safely and is within the speed limit

4. On the motorway (260 to 263)

When you can see well ahead and the road conditions are good, you should
    drive at a steady cruising speed which you and your vehicle can handle safely and is within the speed limit (see the Speed limits table)
    keep a safe distance from the vehicle in front and increase the gap on wet or icy roads, or in fog (see Rules 126 and 235).

You MUST NOT exceed
    a speed limit displayed within a red circle on a sign
    the maximum speed limit for the road and for your vehicle (see Rule 124).
    Speed limits are enforced by the police (see Rule 124).
    Law RTRA sects 17, 86, 89 & sch 6

The monotony of driving on motorways and other high-speed roads can make you feel sleepy. To minimise the risk, follow the advice in Rule 91 about ensuring you are fit to drive and taking breaks.
    Service areas are located along motorways to allow you to take breaks and to obtain refreshments. Refreshment and rest facilities on the local road network may also be accessible from motorway exits.

Unless directed to do so by a police or traffic officer, you MUST NOT
    reverse along any part of a motorway, including slip roads, hard shoulders and emergency areas
    cross the central reservation
    drive against the traffic flow.
    If you have missed your exit, or have taken the wrong route, carry on to the next exit.
    Laws MT(E&W)R regs 6, 8 & 10 & MT(S)R regs 4, 5, 7 & 9
    It can't be prohibited completely though because there will always be times when vehicles have to do less than 70.

Unneccesary slow driving is covered more generally by the Highway code:

​You MUST NOT
    • drive dangerously
    • drive without due care and attention
    • drive without reasonable consideration for other road users.

This applies to all roads.
    Last edited by LaMotta; 24-06-2022 at 08:00 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    You obviously can set a minimum speed limit for most roads as that is just daft due to congestion ect. If there is problems with the
    car ect, that obviously isn't the same subject. The road police officer above pretty much sums it up.

Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    Unneccesary slow driving is covered more generally by the Highway code:

​You MUST NOT
    • drive dangerously
    • drive without due care and attention
    • drive without reasonable consideration for other road users.

This applies to all roads.
    A steady cruising speed is the prescribed way to drive on a motorway.

Here's one definition of cruising speed (Collins dictionary):

cruising speed
    in British English
    (ˈkruːzɪŋ spiːd IPA Pronunciation Guide )
    NOUN
    the speed at which a ship, car, or aircraft travels most efficiently
    eg My car has a motorway cruising speed of 60mph

Some cars I think travel most efficiently at less than 60 (56 used to be quoted). 56-60 is I grant you a long away above 40, but the idea that people should be aiming to drive on motorways at 70 all the time is bonkers.

@hibs.net private member
    Can't believe people are trying to arguing this point. engines efficiency 😆

Can't believe people are trying to arguing this point. engines efficiency 😆
    It'll be on the all the front pages next time fuel's rationed.