hibs.net Messageboard

Page 77 of 115 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987 ... LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,310 of 3436
    @hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Franck Le God View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    People who drive at 40 mph on a winding national limit road road, only to shoot up to 60/70 when you finally get to a straight where you could overtake the buggers. AND THEN BACK TO 40 AFTER THE STRAIGHT

Pet peeve bordering on dangerous driving.
    Are you saying they should drive at the same speed on the windy bendy bits as they do on the straights?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member EH6 Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    Are you saying they should drive at the same speed on the windy bendy bits as they do on the straights?
    That’s what I was thinking too, I regularly drive slower than the speed limit if it’s dark and I’m on a country road I’m not familiar with. You never know when the next bend is coming up. If it’s a straight road I’m more than happy to drive at the speed limit.

Quote Originally Posted by EH6 Hibby View Post
    That’s what I was thinking too, I regularly drive slower than the speed limit if it’s dark and I’m on a country road I’m not familiar with. You never know when the next bend is coming up. If it’s a straight road I’m more than happy to drive at the speed limit.
    More than happy for them to go the speed they're comfortable with, I was the same when I first started driving on the road in question. But I would also let cars behind overtake me to avoid frustration for other drivers.

Either way, not saying one's right and one's wrong, just needed the vent!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member EH6 Hibby's Avatar
    More than happy for them to go the speed they're comfortable with, I was the same when I first started driving on the road in question. But I would also let cars behind overtake me to avoid frustration for other drivers.

I’m not a new driver but I’m a city driver 95% of the time. I am fine on dual carriageways and I’m confident in driving long distances when I have a need to. Have to admit I get seriously stressed on those country roads though if I have someone behind me, if possible I will pull over. During the day I would be more likely to drive at around 50 on unfamiliar roads which is still too slow for some people.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar

I get really annoyed by the same thing. I think some folk think they're doing you a favour by speeding up on the straights - by letting you go faster too.

I have a 10 mile drive to work. It's mostly an A road and there's no need whatsoever to slow down on the bends. Apart from anything else it bumps up your fuel consumption.

There are also folk who slow down on the straights if there's traffic coming the other way.

And then there are some who get humpty and flash you when you eventually manage to overtake them. WTF is that all about?

There's another A road that I use regularly with tighter bends where slowing down is understandable for those that don't know the road. Most of the time here you can tell if someone is local from their number plate. If I'm on such a road that I don't know I'll often let a local to overtake me then follow in his/her wake.

Quote Originally Posted by EH6 Hibby View Post
    I’m not a new driver but I’m a city driver 95% of the time. I am fine on dual carriageways and I’m confident in driving long distances when I have a need to. Have to admit I get seriously stressed on those country roads though if I have someone behind me, if possible I will pull over. During the day I would be more likely to drive at around 50 on unfamiliar roads which is still too slow for some people.
    As much as I find it frustrating I too was new to this once and I crawled around the bends, so I never chase right up someone's backside. I drive an Audi and am doing my utmost to banish the stereotype!

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    I get really annoyed by the same thing. I think some folk think they're doing you a favour by speeding up on the straights - by letting you go faster too.

I have a 10 mile drive to work. It's mostly an A road and there's no need whatsoever to slow down on the bends. Apart from anything else it bumps up your fuel consumption.

There are also folk who slow down on the straights if there's traffic coming the other way.

And then there are some who get humpty and flash you when you eventually manage to overtake them. WTF is that all about?

There's another A road that I use regularly with tighter bends where slowing down is understandable for those that don't know the road. Most of the time here you can tell if someone is local from their number plate. If I'm on such a road that I don't know I'll often let a local to overtake me then follow in his/her wake.
    The last part is a good point as it’s much easier following a car on a road you don’t know in the dark.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    The last part is a good point as it’s much easier following a car on a road you don’t know in the dark.
    Same thing in fog. I was on Saddleworth Moor a few years ago and it was very foggy, I was at the front of a few cars and every time I pulled over to let them pass they all pulled in as well 🙄

Another time the A9 was blocked by an accident, I know all the back roads so turned back a bit and went up by tulliemet, other cars followed, all the way to my mother in law's house 😂😂
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

People either not using their indicators or at the very last moment.
    It's quite common these days.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    SSE in Perth is the same, someone almost got run over by a car reversing out of a space before they introduced it.
    I’m not surprised. Is SSE still very health and safety conscious? A guy I worked with moved to SSE and when we met up for a pint a couple of months after he moved, he said that they were overkill on the H&S and mentioned that it was a disciplinary offence if you were caught walking up or down the stairs without holding the handrail.

Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    I’m not surprised. Is SSE still very health and safety conscious? A guy I worked with moved to SSE and when we met up for a pint a couple of months after he moved, he said that they were overkill on the H&S and mentioned that it was a disciplinary offence if you were caught walking up or down the stairs without holding the handrail.
    I don't know and the person who I know works from home just now, and is wheelchair bound so won't be pulled up for the handrail

I ventured out the house for the first time in 2 and a half weeks last night following various covid isolations. I was on the 22 bus going towards town when it joined a queue of traffic at temporary lights at Broomhouse/Stenhouse Drive. It became apparent that the lights for our direction were stuck on red but were working the other ways. It was crazy the number of drivers who just point blank refused to go through the red light even though after 3 sets of light changes for the other directions that it was obvious when our lights should have been green. The bus driver ended up having to overtake a number of cars that just refused to go.

Edit: I was half expecting the same cars to be sat there on the way back.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    I ventured out the house for the first time in 2 and a half weeks last night following various covid isolations. I was on the 22 bus going towards town when it joined a queue of traffic at temporary lights at Broomhouse/Stenhouse Drive. It became apparent that the lights for our direction were stuck on red but were working the other ways. It was crazy the number of drivers who just point blank refused to go through the red light even though after 3 sets of light changes for the other directions that it was obvious when our lights should have been green. The bus driver ended up having to overtake a number of cars that just refused to go.

Edit: I was half expecting the same cars to be sat there on the way back.

That is the perfect example of obedient driving v pragmatic driving.

They can't teach that in the lessons.

Will almost certainly have been posted before but I need to vent.

People who drive at 40 mph on a winding national limit road road, only to shoot up to 60/70 when you finally get to a straight where you could overtake the buggers. AND THEN BACK TO 40 AFTER THE STRAIGHT

Pet peeve bordering on dangerous driving.

Aye and then you get to a town with a 20 or 30mph limit and they stay at 40mph!!

Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    Aye and then you get to a town with a 20 or 30mph limit and they stay at 40mph!!
    Yes! Forgot this part but very much 2 peas of the same peeve pod

Nicholas Witchell

Oops wrong peeve

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WoreTheGreen View Post
    Oops wrong peeve
    He drives everyone to reach for the remote.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    😁👍🏻

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    Especially Prince Charles

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Drivers who come out of a blind bend in the road slightly on your side of the road where you then have to brake to ensure they get back into their lane to avoid a collision. Even if you know every curve in a road, you can compensate for stationary obstructions by slowing down to a speed that will allow you to stop in time within the distance you can see as you never know what's around the corner, but not when that obstruction is travelling on a collision course with you at 70mph.

German drivers

Austrian drivers

Anybody that drives a German car

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I am not a driver, but as a passenger in Mexico once, a mate was driving in grim conditions in the wee hours as we had misjudged the time the journey would take BADLY (update: Mexico is absolutely huge) and we discovered the best way to get where we were going a) quickly and b) with a bit of warning about the completely unsignposted and mostly invisible speedbumps called "topes" was to wait until a lunatic local bus driver overtook us then just tag on to them for as long as we dared.

People who cross the road without looking. Its not just kids either. WTF is wrong with people. This seems to be worse post lockdown. One person stepped off the pavement onto the road just opposite the commie pool, in rush hour, without looking for any cars.

They then look at you like you're in the wrong!

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    The person doing 35mph all the way home through 30,40,50 and 60 zones.

Apart from slowing down to about 15-20mph at the merest hint of a corner

Get off the road.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Drivers who don’t understand traffic lights with varying lights for different directions, braking because they see a red light not understanding that the green arrow that is illuminated means you can go straight ahead. Specifically Queensferry road at quality street junction heading West.

Quote Originally Posted by beensaidbefore View Post
    People who cross the road without looking. Its not just kids either. WTF is wrong with people. This seems to be worse post lockdown. One person stepped off the pavement onto the road just opposite the commie pool, in rush hour, without looking for any cars.

People that do this whilst staring intently at their phones.

Quote Originally Posted by beensaidbefore View Post

That's standard practice for tourists in pitlochry! 🙄

Cyclists without lights! A fatality waiting to happen.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Someone drove into the back of my car on Slateford Rd on Wednesday night, they’d been driving right up my backside so it was fairly inevitable.
    I pulled over to sort stuff out and the ****er drove off. Didn’t get their plates to report them. Fortunately there was no damage done but that’s brutal behaviour.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net