hibs.net Messageboard

Page 114 of 114 FirstFirst ... 1464104112113114
Results 3,391 to 3,414 of 3414
    @hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not in heavy traffic. As soon as cars start queuing then the best way to merge is a simple one for one at the point where the obstruction is. All cars will at some point have to move to the lane that isn't blocked, if they do that early then all that does is cause an even longer queue in the free lane and block the lane where the obstruction is.
    What difference does it make at which point the cars merge into a single lane? If everyone does it as soon as the obstruction is seen, how does that make any difference to merging at the place of the obstruction? Surely what makes the queue longer is those who don't merge as soon as the problem is identified but who zoom up the free lane in order to beat the queue? I remain to be convinced by the argument that the place the merging occurs makes a difference to the length of time to get through the obstruction.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grunt View Post
    What difference does it make at which point the cars merge into a single lane? If everyone does it as soon as the obstruction is seen, how does that make any difference to merging at the place of the obstruction? Surely what makes the queue longer is those who don't merge as soon as the problem is identified but who zoom up the free lane in order to beat the queue? I remain to be convinced by the argument that the place the merging occurs makes a difference to the length of time to get through the obstruction.
    I think the issue is the potential congestion further back. The longer the single line (ie with no merging), the more likely it is to cause congestion in other (unrelated) roads, eg roads crossing that line, roundabouts. By having 2 lanes of congestion nearer the obstruction, those unrelated issues further back can be avoided.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Not in heavy traffic. As soon as cars start queuing then the best way to merge is a simple one for one at the point where the obstruction is. All cars will at some point have to move to the lane that isn't blocked, if they do that early then all that does is cause an even longer queue in the free lane and block the lane where the obstruction is.
    Spot on, allowing me to drive right down the free lane, past all the idiots in the queue and merge at the point of obstruction to the obvious annoyance of others. 😀

I always get caught out with this when I'm in the UK, in Germany it's expected that you merge at the point where a lane closes and although the rules are the same in the UK, people don't seem to understand the advantages of using the "zipper" system. It's people who merge too early that cause the queue in the open lane to get longer.

Do you ever have trouble with getting let in to the lane, or are they OK around your way?

My experience in Bavaria was that you almost had to force your way into another lane, as they just wouldn't budge. Maybe that's just Bavarians...

Actually, they were even worse in and around Vienna. I still get shivers thinking about driving round there.
    Last edited by Keith_M; 20-02-2024 at 12:10 PM.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    Do you ever have trouble with getting let in to the lane, or are they OK around your way?

My experience in Bavaria was that you almost had to force your way into another lane, as they just wouldn't budge. Maybe that's just Bavarians...

Actually, they were even worse in and around Vienna. I still get shivers thinking about driving round there.
    I think the only trouble I've witnessed is people trying to change too early not being let in. That said there are still regional differences, in the former East they used to react similarly to the UK but the zipper merge message is obviously getting across because it's very rare you'll see people not adhering to it now.

Austrians are just weird anyway, like snobby Germans.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    It’s physics or dynamics or something….

I get your point as intuitively it’s the same amount of cars doing the same thing but the reality seems to be that zipper merging at point of obstruction is a better and faster way. Some research has suggested it’s up to 40% more efficient. Or so Google says anyway

I think the only trouble I've witnessed is people trying to change too early not being let in. That said there are still regional differences, in the former East they used to react similarly to the UK but the zipper merge message is obviously getting across because it's very rare you'll see people not adhering to it now.
    Cheers

Austrians are just weird anyway, like snobby Germans.
    Very true.

Thanks
    Welcome

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    The problem is that if it's not defined when or where to merge, then everyone has a different opinion as to where the merge should happen.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    After the game today I went a different way home. I headed down Pilrig St then Newhaven Rd before Ferry Rd.

The road is so tight there there is no room for buses. The whole street needed to come to a standstill and squeeze to the left so the buses could get through, I have no idea what happenens if buses meet heading in opposite directions. For some reason they allow parking on both sides of the road, if the banned parking on one side there would be enough room for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatecrasher View Post
    After the game today I went a different way home. I headed down Pilrig St then Newhaven Rd before Ferry Rd.

The road is so tight there there is no room for buses. The whole street needed to come to a standstill and squeeze to the left so the buses could get through, I have no idea what happenens if buses meet heading in opposite directions. For some reason they allow parking on both sides of the road, if the banned parking on one side there would be enough room for everyone.

Ferry Road is a often a nightmare route for heading to the game. My wife drove me through a couple of times on that route, as she was going to the Botanic Garden, and there were just so many blockages/hold-ups.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Selfish parkers.

Specifically in areas like where my permit is in Zone 5 and there is a stretch of space boxed off for permit holders ( or paying public). There is room for 8 cars if the full length of the boxed area is used, however I am now constantly seeing cars leaving half a cars length at either end of the boxed area - meaning you are sometimes down to only 5 or 6 cars being able to park there. Presumably they are too cautious in getting the car to the edge of the box and then too lazy once they get out and see their error to actually just get back in the car and move it a couple of yards forward/back. Or maybe they are just oblivious.

It's almost always very small cars too. Minis, Micra's, Twingos etc etc. Not sure why.

@hibs.net private member
    Cyclists who don’t use the cycle path through Holyrood Park, particularly heading uphill. I was stuck behind one tonight and could not safely overtake as there was a constant stream of traffic heading downhill, resulting in a fairly long tailback. To make matters worse they had no lights on whatsoever, not even a rear reflector. It was just as well they were at least wearing a hi vis jacket. More of a reason to be on the cycle path.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Peanut Shaz View Post
    Cyclists who don’t use the cycle path through Holyrood Park, particularly heading uphill. I was stuck behind one tonight and could not safely overtake as there was a constant stream of traffic heading downhill, resulting in a fairly long tailback. To make matters worse they had no lights on whatsoever, not even a rear reflector. It was just as well they were at least wearing a hi vis jacket. More of a reason to be on the cycle path.
    You had me at cyclists.

People who will queue 4 deep at the petrol station, causing a queue out the forecourt, when there are empty pumps available, but they are kn the wrong side.

It's a long hose, just use any pump!!

Saves me time though.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    People who will queue 4 deep at the petrol station, causing a queue out the forecourt, when there are empty pumps available, but they are kn the wrong side.

Saves me time though.
    I have posted about that before on this thread, drives me nuts especially when they end up actually blocking the entrance to the the petrol station.

Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post

Saves me time though.
    Does my head in. lazy eejits.

Blog Entries
    I don’t know if I’m imagining it, but the number of faulty traffic lights, (usually stuck on red) both temporary and permanent, seems to be on the increase. Very annoying but, more importantly, very dangerous, especially when the stretch of road includes bends and frustrated drivers decide to go against red.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    People who switch their engines on and sit for 10 minutes polluting the immediate environment before they drive off. In normal weather, so it's not a de-frosting windscreen issue. Is it just some sort of hangover from the days when people started their horseless transport with a crank handle, and the engine had to warm up, or is there some proper rationale?

Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    People who switch their engines on and sit for 10 minutes polluting the immediate environment before they drive off. In normal weather, so it's not a de-frosting windscreen issue. Is it just some sort of hangover from the days when people started their horseless transport with a crank handle, and the engine had to warm up, or is there some proper rationale?

One of our neighbours does this, sits in the car with the engine running for 5-10 minutes every time, then does the same when she gets back, sits in the car with the engine running for several minutes

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    I don’t know if I’m imagining it, but the number of faulty traffic lights, (usually stuck on red) both temporary and permanent, seems to be on the increase. Very annoying but, more importantly, very dangerous, especially when the stretch of road includes bends and frustrated drivers decide to go against red.
    Yep, I've noticed this too. A couple of months ago, I was the first car at a light stuck on red. The pressure was added as the car directly behind me was a police car.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    Yep, I've noticed this too. A couple of months ago, I was the first car at a light stuck on red. The pressure was added as the car directly behind me was a police car.
    Very tricky. I think I might have turned my engine off, walked back to the police vehicle and asked for their advice.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    Very tricky. I think I might have turned my engine off, walked back to the police vehicle and asked for their advice.
    Indeed. Or wait for them to do something.

Folk turning right into a junction and cutting across the car approaching the junction. Of course you're a ****** for nearly causing an accident