hibs.net Messageboard

Page 99 of 115 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109 ... LastLast
Results 2,941 to 2,970 of 3430
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pilrig St then onto Balfour St, right onto Leith Walk and then left along Dalmeny St.
    The left turn into Dalmeny was blocked a few weeks ago, has it reopened?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    The left turn into Dalmeny was blocked a few weeks ago, has it reopened?
    That's what I thought too.....

Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    That's what I thought too.....
    I went that way with a punter a couple of keeps ago, unless they've changed it since, hard to keep up.

Just took a punter this way and Dalmeny St open at Leith Walk end.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Just took a punter this way and Dalmeny St open at Leith Walk end.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Moving from driving a manual car for 20+ years to an automatic. My wife and I picked up our new automatic yesterday. Great other than constantly moving your left hand towards the gear stick whenever you think you should be changing gear (weirdly I'm not reaching for the clutch with my left foot at the same time).

My wife drove it to work today and seems to be having an issue with hill starts. She said she's putting it in drive, pressing the accelerator and removing the handbrake and it isn't moving off for "ages". "Probably hill start assist, then. It keeps the brakes on for a few seconds" I said.

"Yes I know what hill start assist is, stop mansplaining". Well what's the issue, then. Apparently "too complicated to explain over WhatsApp."

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    Moving from driving a manual car for 20+ years to an automatic. My wife and I picked up our new automatic yesterday. Great other than constantly moving your left hand towards the gear stick whenever you think you should be changing gear (weirdly I'm not reaching for the clutch with my left foot at the same time).

My wife drove it to work today and seems to be having an issue with hill starts. She said she's putting it in drive, pressing the accelerator and removing the handbrake and it isn't moving off for "ages". "Probably hill start assist, then. It keeps the brakes on for a few seconds" I said.

"Yes I know what hill start assist is, stop mansplaining". Well what's the issue, then. Apparently "too complicated to explain over WhatsApp."
    Ahh this is a good one

Must admit when I moved to an auto it was my left foot that kept looking to whack the clutch down when coming to a stop…took a while to get out of that habit.

Now it’s reversed whenever I drive a manual (rarely) there can be a stall or two on arrival at the lights .

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar

I feel your pain. We need two cars at home, one of them is automatic and the other is stick shift and I keep forgetting the stick shift isn't automatic. Add to that at work we have a fleet of about 25 cars, Jaguar full electric, audi hybrids, Mercedes diesel and petrol, Range Rover hybrids and diesels and Armoured Land Rovers, every day is like trying to learn to drive all over again.

I was driving an automatic Merc taxi last week when my TX one was going through its test, when I got my TX back I kept looking to put it in gear without the clutch, took a few hrs to get used to it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    I feel your pain. We need two cars at home, one of them is automatic and the other is stick shift and I keep forgetting the stick shift isn't automatic. Add to that at work we have a fleet of about 25 cars, Jaguar full electric, audi hybrids, Mercedes diesel and petrol, Range Rover hybrids and diesels and Armoured Land Rovers, every day is like trying to learn to drive all over again.
    We also have a small car which is manual. This is going to be a nightmare going between the two.

The only time I’ve driven an automatic before this was a hire car in the States on holiday for two weeks. Took me ages to get used to a manual again when I got home.

Blog Entries
    Waiting to turn right at a T junction. Car approaching from the right at a rate of knotts but signalling to turn left. Uncertain of their true intention because of their speed, you sit tight to make sure. Louis Hamilton brakes at the last minute and turns left, as intended, but, with an impatient shake of the head, gives you a blank questioning stare. Infuriating.

I meant to add : f**cking ********s!!!!
    Last edited by Jim44; 21-01-2023 at 12:01 AM.

Folk that for some reason drive across two lanes at once. Pick a bloody lane.

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    People who drive big cars but can’t park them properly!

Quote Originally Posted by hibee_girl View Post
    Yep, the amount of Chelsea tractors I see parked at 30 degree angles almost outnumbers the ones that are parked straight. Never see this much with estate cars though which I would've thought would be more difficult to park. Although folk who drive estate cars are obvously better drivers and much more sensible than the SUV lot

When you’re driving towards a car that is waiting to turn across the path of you from a side road, you see him from let’s say 200 metres, he doesn’t move, you’re now 100 metres from him, he doesn’t move, you get to 50 metres then 30 metres and then he finally decides to pull out across your path.

Quote Originally Posted by hibee_girl View Post
    People who drive big cars full stop.
    Tories.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    People who drive big cars full stop.
    Tories.
    They think they look classy but they honestly just look like Wayne Rooneys fever dream

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having to park on a yellow line outside your home at night cos there aren't enough pemit holder spaces in an area for those who have bought permits then getting a parking ticket for the 4th time in 12 months cos you once again forget to move the car in the morning

Utter clowns with no road awareness or common sense

followed a guy down the length of the bypass in the outside lane who was consistently 100 yards off the car in front, numerous vehicles undertaking us and moving in front of him.

finally as we approach the Calder road off ramp, he moves in, I start to over take, when my car is halfway past his (ie, my passenger door is level with his bonnet), he suddenly starts moving back out, forcing me to accelerate to avoid being hit by him! I then move into the inside lane, he progresses until halfway past me, then cuts back across the front of me forcing me to brake to avoid a collision! Completely oblivious or just downright dangerous

Drivers that get confused by traffic lights intended for traffic coming from a different direction so go through their green light but then stop shortly after at a red light intended for a different direction.

Example: the junction at Tesco in Corstorphine. If you are coming from the Drumbrae roundabout, there are two sets of lights for cars intending to go straight on towards Broomhall. One at the actual bit where you stop at the red light and another attached to the crossing island just after the junction.

The amount of times I’ve seen cars coming from Ladywell Road, turn left then stop at the crossing because they see the second set of lights described above is unreal.

It also used to happen a lot at the junction of Leith Street/Waterloo Place/Princes Street. Coming from Princes St towards Waterloo Pl, there was/is (not driven that way in ages) a second set of lights intended for those going straight on attached to the crossing outside Waverley Gate. Cars would turn left from Leith Street and just stop when they saw the red light.
    Last edited by overdrive; 01-02-2023 at 08:28 AM.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Drivers that get confused by traffic lights intended for traffic coming from a different direction so go through their green light but then stop shortly after at a red light intended for a different direction.

Example: the junction at Tesco in Corstorphine. If you are coming from the Drumbrae roundabout, there are two sets of lights for cars intending to go straight on towards Broomhall. One at the actual bit where you stop at the red light and another attached to the crossing island just after the junction.

The amount of times I’ve seen cars coming from Ladywell Road, turn left then stop at the crossing because they see the second set of lights described above is unreal.

It also used to happen a lot at the junction of Leith Street/Waterloo Place/Princes Street. Coming from Princes St towards Waterloo Pl, there was/is (not driven that way in ages) a second set of lights intended for those going straight on attached to the crossing outside Waverley Gate. Cars would turn left from Leith Street and just stop when they saw the red light.
    Still happens on the last one…saw a classic there a few days ago. Car comes up Leith Street, starts to turn left then immediately stops at the red light, which is the repeater for the Princes St traffic, blocking anyone behind.

No amount of horn blasting from the queue behind them was shifting them either

Cyclists who think it’s okay to cycle with one hand whilst carrying a box the size of a double headboard in other and struggling to balance. Absolute madness.

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    Confirmed pedestrian here Didn't think I would have any driving pet peeves as I don't drive. But I do use the roads, on buses and as a pedestrian. My issue is dusk and peoples lack of awareness about it. Firstly cyclists who wear dark clothing and have no lights bombing along the road at dusk, it is selfish and dangerous to them, pedestrians and drivers. With my retinopathy they are practically invisible to me at this time of night. I think if you are going to ride a bicycle then hi-vis and lights at all times should be necessary by law. Also drivers who don't put there lights on at dusk, if it is not full daylight your lights should be on. Feels better getting that off my chest!

Thanks, this will probably be my last post on this thread, but I still read it, I see a lot of these things mentioned on here as I walk and bus it around the city

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    At the request of Alfiembra, here's the Driving Pet Peeve thread for frustrated motorists.

So, to kick it off.......
    When you are just about to get into your car in a car park some Dumbo decides to draw in tight alongside your driver's door despite there being empty spaces everywhere around.
    (1) Vehicles that don't join the motorway properly on slip roads. Instead of finding a gap and speeding up to the same speed as other motorists and merge with other motorists like a professional, they either try and join the motorway by instead driving alongside another car, meaning that someone has to take action, or they simply come along to slowly, and instead of accelerating they break, and bring the entire motorway and slip road to a standstill on a daily basis.

(2) Excessive lane changing, overtaking and lane weaving. Whilst I appreciate that by law we must stick to the far left unless overtaking, and that lane hogging is also illegal, it is also good to remember that one of the biggest causes of crashes on a motorway is the act of changing lanes. Either changing from right lane to middle lane at the same time as a vehicle is changing from left lane to middle lane, or simply another vehicle getting stuck in ones blind spot. Trying as much as possible to stay at the same speed as other vehicles in ones lane and reduce the amount of lane weaving we have to do simply requires a little patience and greatly reduces the risk of accidents and bringing an entire motorway to a halt.

(3) When you put on your indicator to over take the vehicle in front of you, and suddenly the impatient driver behind you decides to put on their indicator and absolutely foot it ahead of you.

(4) Drivers that constantly have to break because they can't drive without slamming their foot down on the accelerator, meaning that they are constantly getting too close to the the car in front.

(5) Vehicles that go round a roundabout like a stockcar racer.

Almost a daily occurrence at the right turn fr Albion Road onto Easter Road. Idiots

It's an automatic fail in the driving test.

Merging traffic on the bypass, heading home this morning after picking up my granddaughter, the stretch between Edinburgh Park and Baberton is shocking and the problem is purely cars merging from both junctions, once past the traffic suddenly sped up and by Dreghorn it was moving freely, what the hell happens with drivers moving into flowing traffic from slip roads?

@hibs.net private member bringbackbenny's Avatar
    This is the way. Alas rarely practiced at the Queensferry Crossing

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Lawn market.
    Folk just ambling about the roundabout there as if it was pedestrianised.
    I'd never intentionally hit or intimidate someone crossing the road, in fact I invariably slow down or invite folk to cross if I see them waiting, but today was a complete free for all between the usual tourists and visiting egg chasing Taffs.
    I'm well aware the Highway Code has been updated and although I abide by rule H1, rule H2 doesn't mean folk can walk over roundabouts willy nilly.

I was driving to the supermarket tonight and before I even got out my street I was blocked off by a takeaway delivery driver who just stopped in the middle of the road. I might have managed to get round him had he actually closed his door but, no he left it wide open.