hibs.net Messageboard

Page 94 of 115 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104 ... LastLast
Results 2,791 to 2,820 of 3424
    @hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A steady cruising speed is the prescribed way to drive on a motorway.

Here's one definition of cruising speed (Collins dictionary):

cruising speed
    in British English
    (ˈkruːzɪŋ spiːd IPA Pronunciation Guide )
    NOUN
    the speed at which a ship, car, or aircraft travels most efficiently
    eg My car has a motorway cruising speed of 60mph

Some cars I think travel most efficiently at less than 60 (56 used to be quoted). 56-60 is I grant you a long away above 40, but the idea that people should be aiming to drive on motorways at 70 all the time is bonkers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stairway 2 7 View Post
    Can't believe people are trying to arguing this point. engines efficiency ��
    "Effcient" dictionary definition :

(of a system or machine) achieving maximum productivity with minimum wasted effort or expense.

Travelling at 55 might be more fuel/energy resourceful, but it misses out the productivity gains of travelling at a higher speed. There is a balance to be struck.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    "Effcient" dictionary definition :

(of a system or machine) achieving maximum productivity with minimum wasted effort or expense.

Travelling at 55 might be more fuel/energy resourceful, but it misses out the productivity gains of travelling at a higher speed. There is a balance to be struck.
    The Highway Code prescribes driving at a steady cruising speed on motorways. Is 70mph a steady cruising speed, or is it a speed enabling you to easily overtake people driving at a steady cruising speed? I'd say the latter, but opinions may differ. I don't think how late you might be for an away kick off, or how many widgets you might have to deliver that day, are factors in the Highway Code rules.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    The Highway Code prescribes driving at a steady cruising speed on motorways. Is 70mph a steady cruising speed, or is it a speed enabling you to easily overtake people driving at a steady cruising speed? I'd say the latter, but opinions may differ. I don't think how late you might be for an away kick off, or how many widgets you might have to deliver that day, are factors in the Highway Code rules.
    Cruise control 👍
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member
    So you can cruise bellow 70, but you will get pulled and can be fined if driving to slow on the motorway. Is that the consensus?

70 can be a steady cruising speed. As can 55/60. I think both are fine generally, so we probably agree on that?

Stairway 2 7's point that if you can't comfortably drive close to 70 in a car then you shouldn't be driving is completely valid. Hence driving tests.

The most important part of the highway code though in relation to driving too slow were the three general points I listed above.

Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    Same car or loads of different vehicles?

several standalone dedicated satnav units, probably around 14 in total

@hibs.net private member ACLeith's Avatar
    Coming back from Glasgow today at tea time, on the city by-pass. In the right hand lane doing about 70-75 in a steady queue of cars passing slower moving vans, lorries and cars. (No its not about THAT debate!)

Leaving a reasonable amount of space to the car in front. Was tailgated by a black Audi trying to bully me into letting him past to gain 10 yards. A tiny gap in the left hand lane appeared, he under passed me. When he reached his exit and slowed a little, he finished about 20 yards ahead of where he would have been had he stayed in our lane.

Hope he ran out of fuel with the extra he had used!

@hibs.net private member EH6 Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ACLeith View Post
    Coming back from Glasgow today at tea time, on the city by-pass. In the right hand lane doing about 70-75 in a steady queue of cars passing slower moving vans, lorries and cars. (No its not about THAT debate!)

Leaving a reasonable amount of space to the car in front. Was tailgated by a black Audi trying to bully me into letting him past to gain 10 yards. A tiny gap in the left hand lane appeared, he under passed me. When he reached his exit and slowed a little, he finished about 20 yards ahead of where he would have been had he stayed in our lane.

Hope he ran out of fuel with the extra he had used!
    My experience of the bypass is that safe stopping distance doesn’t apply. Literally every time I try to leave space between myself and the car in front, someone from the other lane will move into it and I’ll be right up their backside.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EH6 Hibby View Post
    My experience of the bypass is that safe stopping distance doesn’t apply. Literally every time I try to leave space between myself and the car in front, someone from the other lane will move into it and I’ll be right up their backside.
    As a truck driver this is a real annoyance. Here it's the responsibility of the driver behind to ensure the safe breaking distance is adhered to. This means if someone has overtaken me with 1kph more speed moves back into the inside lane, then I have to brake to reestablish the minimum distance.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Tesco are ripping the piss now, 192.9 a litre of petrol in Tesco at Duloch in Dunfermline, BP garage down the road in Dalgety Bay is only 186.9 and Sainsburys at Gorgie is 185.9.
    The diesel is 199.9. Scandalous
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EH6 Hibby View Post
    When I see that I generally speed up slightly. Still leaving a gap but not up the erse of the car in front. Those undertakers pretty much put me in the group who may need the other type.

I'm always happy to proceed in the left hand lane but generally on the bypass larger vehicles misjudge the hills and try and overtake 1 mph faster than the vehicle they think they can out run creating a lot of the problems.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    The diesel is 199.9. Scandalous

Passed Tescos in Corstorphine near my folks earlier today, petrol there is 189.9. I've never understood how the same supermarkets can have different petrol prices. We are getting done here over the water for sure. The Shell garage on Halbeath road near EEP was cheaper than Tesco a few weeks back, no idea what it is now as I've not passed by for a while.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Passed Tescos in Corstorphine near my folks earlier today, petrol there is 189.9. I've never understood how the same supermarkets can have different petrol prices. We are getting done here over the water for sure. The Shell garage on Halbeath road near EEP was cheaper than Tesco a few weeks back, no idea what it is now as I've not passed by for a while.
    Tesco vary fuel prices depending on competition in a catchment area for each store. Asda used to have a standardised price for fuel throughout the UK regardless of store location, not sure if they still do that though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    As a truck driver this is a real annoyance. Here it's the responsibility of the driver behind to ensure the safe breaking distance is adhered to. This means if someone has overtaken me with 1kph more speed moves back into the inside lane, then I have to brake to reestablish the minimum distance.

There are quite a lot of people that drive too close to the car in front in the UK, but I actually found it much worse in Germany, especially on the parts of the Autobahn that have no speed limit.

I'd overtake somebody at about 140kph and suddenly have some Arschloch appear two metres behind me, flashing his lights to tell me to pull into the inside lane.

I always try to pull back in at a reasonably safe distance from the vehicle I've overtaken but that would just p1ss off the Wannabe Schumachers even more. I'd often see them going into meltdown mode in my rear-view mirror, just cos I refused to pullover immediately

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    There are quite a lot of people that drive too close to the car in front in the UK, but I actually found it much worse in Germany, especially on the parts of the Autobahn that have no speed limit.

I'd overtake somebody at about 140kph and suddenly have some Arschloch appear two metres behind me, flashing his lights to tell me to pull into the inside lane.

I always try to pull back in at a reasonably safe distance from the vehicle I've overtaken but that would just p1ss off the Wannabe Schumachers even more. I'd often see them going into meltdown mode in my rear-view mirror, just cos I refused to pullover immediately
    To ensure I leave plenty of room I always wait until I can see the whole front of the vehicle I've overtaken in my rearview mirror. If that leads to annoyance of anyone behind me that's their problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    To ensure I leave plenty of room I always wait until I can see the whole front of the vehicle I've overtaken in my rearview mirror. If that leads to annoyance of anyone behind me that's their problem.

Yep, that's definitely a good approach.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar

That used to really grip my **** over here but for some reason it's nowhere near as common as it used to be. I'm guessing that, now you can make online reports to the police has made people think twice about idiotic driving behaviour.

The increase in anti collision systems in vehicles will also probably have played a part too, if you get too close to the vehicle in front most of them set off an alarm sequence similar to the USS Enterprise's red alert and others will actually initiate an emergency brake.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    That used to really grip my **** over here but for some reason it's nowhere near as common as it used to be. I'm guessing that, now you can make online reports to the police has made people think twice about idiotic driving behaviour.

The increase in anti collision systems in vehicles will also probably have played a part too, if you get too close to the vehicle in front most of them set off an alarm sequence similar to the USS Enterprise's red alert and others will actually initiate an emergency brake.

Delighted to hear that.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Drove back from Glasgow this morning and was doing a consistent 70-75 mph in the outside lane getting past the slower traffic. There were a few cars doing the same ahead of me but I was leaving some braking space. Car behind me was right up my backside and he seemed to be taking exception to the braking space. Cars ahead of me, eventually pulled in but were going about 65mph. I decided to pull in to let the guy up my rear (ooh er) past… but he didn’t. I then looked in my mirror and he was now way behind must have been going really slow (there was nothing ahead of him).

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    Drove back from Glasgow this morning and was doing a consistent 70-75 mph in the outside lane getting past the slower traffic. There were a few cars doing the same ahead of me but I was leaving some braking space. Car behind me was right up my backside and he seemed to be taking exception to the braking space. Cars ahead of me, eventually pulled in but were going about 65mph. I decided to pull in to let the guy up my rear (ooh er) past… but he didn’t. I then looked in my mirror and he was now way behind must have been going really slow (there was nothing ahead of him).
    He's either on his phone or lighting a cigarette. Or both.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grunt View Post
    He's either on his phone or lighting a cigarette. Or both.
    Now that would be great invention .......... a phone with an inbuilt cigarette lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    Now that would be great invention .......... a phone with an inbuilt cigarette lighter.
    Good way for us older men to rid themselves of sprouting ear hair, singe it off while calling home.

Fuel protests: Arrests as go-slow convoys cause motorway delays - BBC News

People arrested for going too slow...

"Unfortunately we have had unsafe driving on the A38 including vehicles travelling at a dangerously low speed," a force spokesman said.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    Fuel protests: Arrests as go-slow convoys cause motorway delays - BBC News

People arrested for going too slow...

"Unfortunately we have had unsafe driving on the A38 including vehicles travelling at a dangerously low speed," a force spokesman said.
    When reading about that earlier the implications of it for this thread didn't jump out at me but there we are, case closed.

Shout out to the protestor who was being filmed all morning for the news and who happily sat driving whilst on his phone and without a seatbelt on to be broadcast to the social media world.

Folk who sit up your arse at high(er) speeds

not overly related to the driving (too) slowly debate, but people who are right on your bumper at 70+ in the outside lane. I’m overtaking traffic (probably doing 60ish), where exactly would he like me to go? The inside lane is full of traffic, and he might think he’ll intimidate into going faster but it’s more likely to make me back off and slowly overtake the inside lane traffic. And after all that, when I come off the motorway, he’s right there beside me anyway, so no gain apart from putting lots of people’s lives at risk

Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post

not overly related to the driving (too) slowly debate, but people who are right on your bumper at 70+ in the outside lane. I’m overtaking traffic (probably doing 60ish), where exactly would he like me to go? The inside lane is full of traffic, and he might think he’ll intimidate into going faster but it’s more likely to make me back off and slowly overtake the inside lane traffic. And after all that, when I come off the motorway, he’s right there beside me anyway, so no gain apart from putting lots of people’s lives at risk

Have a look a few posts up from yours and you'll see you're not alone in this.

Have a look a few posts up from yours and you'll see you're not alone in this.

I had actually read that too

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar

Even more so when there’s other vehicles in front of you going the same speed. Are they magically going to disappear too?

I had actually read that too

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Melting tarmac.

Will Scottish roads be affected on Tuesday?