hibs.net Messageboard

Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2836373839 LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1143
  1. #1111
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    52
    Posts
    18,606
    Quote Originally Posted by grunt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why is it that every time I see a driver behaving badly, cutting someone up, driving up a bus lane and cutting in, u-turns without signalling, pretty much any manoeuvre without signalling, why is it that every time it's a private hire driver?
    Because your memory finds it easier to remember by association. Either that or the majority of PH drivers are absolute erseholes 😁


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #1112
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    14,384
    Quote Originally Posted by staunchhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Glasgow road is notorious for it.Some taxi drivers drive on outside lane and then suddenly remember they are meant to be going to airport.
    Surely the outside lane is the correct lane if youíre going to the airport.

    United we stand here....

  4. #1113
    @hibs.net private member Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Dont know its too dark in here
    Age
    62
    Posts
    10,068
    Temporary traffic lights.

    One, two, three cars going through after the lights goes red. I've regularly seen cars overtaking the first car to stop to go through the red light and sometimes it's not even the car immediately behind!
    Space to let

  5. #1114
    @hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    West Upper
    Age
    35
    Posts
    25,538
    The taxi driver who sat at 30mph or just under all the way from down Milton rd East last night because you had a fare. Its a 40mph road...
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

  6. #1115
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    52
    Posts
    18,606
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Surely the outside lane is the correct lane if youíre going to the airport.
    That post confused me too.

  7. #1116
    @hibs.net private member J-C's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Age
    60
    Posts
    19,524
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The taxi driver who sat at 30mph or just under all the way from down Milton rd East last night because you had a fare. Its a 40mph road...
    You do know 40mph is a maximum and not a minimum and having a fare means nothing as the price is done on distance and not speed.

  8. #1117
    @hibs.net private member J-C's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Age
    60
    Posts
    19,524
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That post confused me too.
    And me, if he meant inside lane then going to outside lane, well it's the correct thing to do, you should always drive on the inside lane whenever you can.

  9. #1118
    @hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Bellevue
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,493
    Drivers that get irate at the driver in front for simply adhering to the laws of the road. Yesterday morning I was at the crossing at Elm Row and the green light allowing traffic to go from Montgomery Street onto Leith Walk turned to red. The car at the front stopped at the keep clear marking at Elm Row. The car behind started aggressively peeping their horn, overtook and drove through the red light at a relatively high speed, still peeping their horn as they passed.

  10. #1119
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And me, if he meant inside lane then going to outside lane, well it's the correct thing to do, you should always drive on the inside lane whenever you can.
    folk that donít know the difference between the inside and outside lane of a road.

  11. #1120
    Testimonial Due EH6 Hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Leith
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,932
    Folk that beep at you for accidentally being in the wrong lane. I was just approaching a roundabout, on the run up I realised I was in the wrong lane. There was no one behind me in my lane so I indicated to go into the right lane. I didnít at any point try to force my way in, I was preparing to wait for a gap as there were only about 5 cars in the other lane, but I got beeped at by the person behind me in the other lane.

  12. #1121
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Surely the outside lane is the correct lane if youíre going to the airport.
    You turn left from the Glasgow Road to get to the airport!

  13. #1122
    People who drive at 19 in a 20 limit.

  14. #1123
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    14,384
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You turn left from the Glasgow Road to get to the airport!
    True, but I would class that as the A8.

    United we stand here....

  15. #1124
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Brandenburg
    Posts
    11,280
    Quote Originally Posted by EH6 Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Folk that beep at you for accidentally being in the wrong lane. I was just approaching a roundabout, on the run up I realised I was in the wrong lane. There was no one behind me in my lane so I indicated to go into the right lane. I didnít at any point try to force my way in, I was preparing to wait for a gap as there were only about 5 cars in the other lane, but I got beeped at by the person behind me in the other lane.
    This, holier than thou drivers in general. In Germany you can see where people come from by their number plate, driving in a new or strange city can be challenging if you don't know exactly where you're going, yet you still get idiots in Berlin having automotive apoplectic fits when strangers are trying to navigate their way around the city. Jeez, give the guy a break ffs.

  16. #1125
    Coaching Staff Smartie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Age
    42
    Posts
    11,087
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Drivers that sit parked facing the oncoming traffic with their full headlights on, amazes me that some folk donít realise how dazzling static headlights can be.
    Iím probably guilty of this from time to time.

    These days I seldom drive and Iíve not owned a car for the best part of a decade. A few weeks ago I flew into Bristol airport and had to drive a hired car to Chepstow, my phone was broken and I didnít know where I was going (for the first part of the journey anyway) so I was going to need road signs on roads Iíd never driven before.

    When youíre out in the sticks, on roads you donít know and they are 60mph speed limit roads, dipped headlights donít give you that much vision. The roads were quiet, as it was quite late. There is a part of my brain that is triggered whenever a car is oncoming to dip my headlights but as I go into a built up area that part of my brain isnít triggered so readily, so a couple of times I was the guy you mentioned without initially realising.

    Sorry about this.

  17. #1126
    @hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    12,741
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Iím probably guilty of this from time to time.

    These days I seldom drive and Iíve not owned a car for the best part of a decade. A few weeks ago I flew into Bristol airport and had to drive a hired car to Chepstow, my phone was broken and I didnít know where I was going (for the first part of the journey anyway) so I was going to need road signs on roads Iíd never driven before.

    When youíre out in the sticks, on roads you donít know and they are 60mph speed limit roads, dipped headlights donít give you that much vision. The roads were quiet, as it was quite late. There is a part of my brain that is triggered whenever a car is oncoming to dip my headlights but as I go into a built up area that part of my brain isnít triggered so readily, so a couple of times I was the guy you mentioned without initially realising.

    Sorry about this.
    Iím sure we (drivers) have almost all been guilty of being on full beam, forgotten, and not realised until the passing car in the other lane flashes furiously.

    Likewise, we have all had opposite lane drivers who didnít remember they were on full beam until they were passing.

    Most of the time people remember, but I have been guilty of the former and experienced the latter on more than a few occasions.

    Country roads at night are particularly tricky, especially when you have lots of dips, peaks and troughs. Dipped headlights feel like full beam if you get them at the wrong moment. Combined with heavy cover overhead from trees and it is astonishing there arenít more accidents.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

  18. #1127
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    9,619
    My most recent car has self levelling dipped headlights.

    The only problem was the default Ďself levelí was so low I could only see about 10 yards in front of me.

    This led to a wee google and the rather interesting fact that itís dead easy (in this car at least) to adjust the headlight level. A wee turn or two of the screw on each soon sorted the problem and gave a much better view.

    Now they are hardly facing the sky so wonít dazzle on coming cars but I do wonder if those that are driving cars where their dipped headlights are so useless on roads that donít have streetlights that they need to put full beam on constant might benefit from the same small adjustment..

    Obviously full beam is desirable when possible but since my little hack I really donít need to use it nearly as much.

  19. #1128
    People who indicate right when exiting a roundabout. WTF?
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

  20. #1129
    Coaching Staff Future17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    "Galactidos!"
    Age
    35
    Posts
    5,815
    The almost non-existent middle lane at the Old Dalkeith Road lights on the Cameron Toll roundabout (when coming from Dalkeith Road or Craigmillar).

    I must have driven round that roundabout over a hundred times and I still have no idea what they were thinking putting it in there. It's practically begging for an accident.

  21. #1130
    reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Don't actually know right now
    Posts
    8,291
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    People who indicate right when exiting a roundabout. WTF?
    I had to thnk about that Does this actually happen?? Mental!!
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

  22. #1131
    @hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,821
    Impatient pr!cks.
    The A720 city bypass was heavily congested and slow moving westbound this afternoon around 1400hrs,,,, lost count of the number of drivers who exited then rejoined at each junction so as to use the clearer slip roads to gain a few spaces. Really petty driving and probably just added to the delays!

  23. #1132
    @hibs.net private member bringbackbenny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    across the forth
    Age
    47
    Posts
    682
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Impatient pr!cks.
    The A720 city bypass was heavily congested and slow moving westbound this afternoon around 1400hrs,,,, lost count of the number of drivers who exited then rejoined at each junction so as to use the clearer slip roads to gain a few spaces. Really petty driving and probably just added to the delays!
    Ditto every evening northbound before the Queensferry Crossing. Does my t**s in.

  24. #1133
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    52
    Posts
    18,606
    When you come off the Western approach road at Westfield and the lanes merge opposite Wickes, some of the races to get prime spot are ridiculous.

  25. #1134
    Crazy overtaking.

    I've just driven down to Glentress. Just as I was approaching Peeble a guy in a Range Rover swung right out into my path from the other side of the road to overtake a cyclist. I slammed my brakes on and swerved left, he pulled in inches past the cyclist and missed me by not much more.

    There was absolutely nothing behind me and I hadn't seen anything in my mirror for miles. Would it have really hampered his journey to ease off for 3 or 4 seconds then overtake? Had I not been concentrating one or both of us would have been finishing our journey in a bodybag.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

  26. #1135
    Approaching Sheriffhall roundabout on the A7 from the north, there's a choice of three lanes. There are five possible exits from the roundabout. Why does almost no-one, during their approach, indicate turning left if they intend to take the first exit, or indicate turning right if they intend to take the fifth exit? Sheriffhall's a bit of a mess but I don't understand why this basic behaviour seems to be suspended in the approach.

  27. #1136
    First Team Breakthrough
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    311
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Approaching Sheriffhall roundabout on the A7 from the north, there's a choice of three lanes. There are five possible exits from the roundabout. Why does almost no-one, during their approach, indicate turning left if they intend to take the first exit, or indicate turning right if they intend to take the fifth exit? Sheriffhall's a bit of a mess but I don't understand why this basic behaviour seems to be suspended in the approach.

    A lack of signalling is annoying but why would signalling in these two situations be necessary?

    As I remember it, I was told by my instructor 41 years ago, that the idea of signalling is to inform other road users of my intentions.

    As you say, coming from the north and turning left to Millerhill would not affect any other traffic ditto turning right.

    Sticking to one's lane and remaining in it means that indicating would cause confusion in a traffic light controlled roundabout.

    Ps I live nearby and have observed drivers' behaviour here for many years. Originally there were no lights.

  28. #1137
    reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Don't actually know right now
    Posts
    8,291
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A lack of signalling is annoying but why would signalling in these two situations be necessary?

    As I remember it, I was told by my instructor 41 years ago, that the idea of signalling is to inform other road users of my intentions.

    As you say, coming from the north and turning left to Millerhill would not affect any other traffic ditto turning right.

    Sticking to one's lane and remaining in it means that indicating would cause confusion in a traffic light controlled roundabout.

    Ps I live nearby and have observed drivers' behaviour here for many years. Originally there were no lights.
    I'm not that familiar with Sheriffhall although I think now folk 'tend' to indicate in lanes that are only meant to go e.g. left as there are so many maniacs in the wrong lane these days it's gone to just being courteous and having a safer driving environment.
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

  29. #1138
    Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A lack of signalling is annoying but why would signalling in these two situations be necessary?

    As I remember it, I was told by my instructor 41 years ago, that the idea of signalling is to inform other road users of my intentions.

    As you say, coming from the north and turning left to Millerhill would not affect any other traffic ditto turning right.

    Sticking to one's lane and remaining in it means that indicating would cause confusion in a traffic light controlled roundabout.

    Ps I live nearby and have observed drivers' behaviour here for many years. Originally there were no lights.
    The right hand of the three approach lanes is for traffic going to the A7 southbound and A720 westbound. It helps to know what other people intend to do. That's what signalling is for. To indicate a driver's intention. It's probably not ever "necessary" to signal.

  30. #1139
    @hibs.net private member McD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Livingston
    Age
    39
    Posts
    2,357
    The folk who only indicate after beginning to turn the wheel and change direction - itís pointless now, I can see your car changing direction already, the indicator is to let people know what youíre going to do, not what youíre already doing! I can see the car changing direction, what would have been helpful is an indication of what you planned to do before you actually did it

  31. #1140
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    52
    Posts
    18,606
    Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The folk who only indicate after beginning to turn the wheel and change direction - itís pointless now, I can see your car changing direction already, the indicator is to let people know what youíre going to do, not what youíre already doing! I can see the car changing direction, what would have been helpful is an indication of what you planned to do before you actually did it
    Agreed, Mirror, Signal, Manoeuvre.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved