hibs.net Messageboard

Page 38 of 114 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 3414
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grunt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why is it that every time I see a driver behaving badly, cutting someone up, driving up a bus lane and cutting in, u-turns without signalling, pretty much any manoeuvre without signalling, why is it that every time it's a private hire driver?
    Because your memory finds it easier to remember by association. Either that or the majority of PH drivers are absolute erseholes 😁

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by staunchhibby View Post
    Glasgow road is notorious for it.Some taxi drivers drive on outside lane and then suddenly remember they are meant to be going to airport.
    Surely the outside lane is the correct lane if you’re going to the airport.

United we stand here....

Temporary traffic lights.

One, two, three cars going through after the lights goes red. I've regularly seen cars overtaking the first car to stop to go through the red light and sometimes it's not even the car immediately behind!
    Space to let

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    The taxi driver who sat at 30mph or just under all the way from down Milton rd East last night because you had a fare. Its a 40mph road...
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    That post confused me too.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    The taxi driver who sat at 30mph or just under all the way from down Milton rd East last night because you had a fare. Its a 40mph road...
    You do know 40mph is a maximum and not a minimum and having a fare means nothing as the price is done on distance and not speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    That post confused me too.
    And me, if he meant inside lane then going to outside lane, well it's the correct thing to do, you should always drive on the inside lane whenever you can.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Drivers that get irate at the driver in front for simply adhering to the laws of the road. Yesterday morning I was at the crossing at Elm Row and the green light allowing traffic to go from Montgomery Street onto Leith Walk turned to red. The car at the front stopped at the keep clear marking at Elm Row. The car behind started aggressively peeping their horn, overtook and drove through the red light at a relatively high speed, still peeping their horn as they passed.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    And me, if he meant inside lane then going to outside lane, well it's the correct thing to do, you should always drive on the inside lane whenever you can.
    folk that don’t know the difference between the inside and outside lane of a road.

@hibs.net private member EH6 Hibby's Avatar
    Folk that beep at you for accidentally being in the wrong lane. I was just approaching a roundabout, on the run up I realised I was in the wrong lane. There was no one behind me in my lane so I indicated to go into the right lane. I didn’t at any point try to force my way in, I was preparing to wait for a gap as there were only about 5 cars in the other lane, but I got beeped at by the person behind me in the other lane.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    You turn left from the Glasgow Road to get to the airport!

People who drive at 19 in a 20 limit.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    You turn left from the Glasgow Road to get to the airport!
    True, but I would class that as the A8.

United we stand here....

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EH6 Hibby View Post
    Folk that beep at you for accidentally being in the wrong lane. I was just approaching a roundabout, on the run up I realised I was in the wrong lane. There was no one behind me in my lane so I indicated to go into the right lane. I didn’t at any point try to force my way in, I was preparing to wait for a gap as there were only about 5 cars in the other lane, but I got beeped at by the person behind me in the other lane.
    This, holier than thou drivers in general. In Germany you can see where people come from by their number plate, driving in a new or strange city can be challenging if you don't know exactly where you're going, yet you still get idiots in Berlin having automotive apoplectic fits when strangers are trying to navigate their way around the city. Jeez, give the guy a break ffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Drivers that sit parked facing the oncoming traffic with their full headlights on, amazes me that some folk don’t realise how dazzling static headlights can be.
    I’m probably guilty of this from time to time.

These days I seldom drive and I’ve not owned a car for the best part of a decade. A few weeks ago I flew into Bristol airport and had to drive a hired car to Chepstow, my phone was broken and I didn’t know where I was going (for the first part of the journey anyway) so I was going to need road signs on roads I’d never driven before.

When you’re out in the sticks, on roads you don’t know and they are 60mph speed limit roads, dipped headlights don’t give you that much vision. The roads were quiet, as it was quite late. There is a part of my brain that is triggered whenever a car is oncoming to dip my headlights but as I go into a built up area that part of my brain isn’t triggered so readily, so a couple of times I was the guy you mentioned without initially realising.

Sorry about this.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I’m probably guilty of this from time to time.

These days I seldom drive and I’ve not owned a car for the best part of a decade. A few weeks ago I flew into Bristol airport and had to drive a hired car to Chepstow, my phone was broken and I didn’t know where I was going (for the first part of the journey anyway) so I was going to need road signs on roads I’d never driven before.

When you’re out in the sticks, on roads you don’t know and they are 60mph speed limit roads, dipped headlights don’t give you that much vision. The roads were quiet, as it was quite late. There is a part of my brain that is triggered whenever a car is oncoming to dip my headlights but as I go into a built up area that part of my brain isn’t triggered so readily, so a couple of times I was the guy you mentioned without initially realising.

Sorry about this.
    I’m sure we (drivers) have almost all been guilty of being on full beam, forgotten, and not realised until the passing car in the other lane flashes furiously.

Likewise, we have all had opposite lane drivers who didn’t remember they were on full beam until they were passing.

Most of the time people remember, but I have been guilty of the former and experienced the latter on more than a few occasions.

Country roads at night are particularly tricky, especially when you have lots of dips, peaks and troughs. Dipped headlights feel like full beam if you get them at the wrong moment. Combined with heavy cover overhead from trees and it is astonishing there aren’t more accidents.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    My most recent car has self levelling dipped headlights.

The only problem was the default ‘self level’ was so low I could only see about 10 yards in front of me.

This led to a wee google and the rather interesting fact that it’s dead easy (in this car at least) to adjust the headlight level. A wee turn or two of the screw on each soon sorted the problem and gave a much better view.

Now they are hardly facing the sky so won’t dazzle on coming cars but I do wonder if those that are driving cars where their dipped headlights are so useless on roads that don’t have streetlights that they need to put full beam on constant might benefit from the same small adjustment..

Obviously full beam is desirable when possible but since my little hack I really don’t need to use it nearly as much.

People who indicate right when exiting a roundabout. WTF?
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Future17's Avatar
    The almost non-existent middle lane at the Old Dalkeith Road lights on the Cameron Toll roundabout (when coming from Dalkeith Road or Craigmillar).

I must have driven round that roundabout over a hundred times and I still have no idea what they were thinking putting it in there. It's practically begging for an accident.

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    People who indicate right when exiting a roundabout. WTF?
    I had to thnk about that Does this actually happen?? Mental!!
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Impatient pr!cks.
    The A720 city bypass was heavily congested and slow moving westbound this afternoon around 1400hrs,,,, lost count of the number of drivers who exited then rejoined at each junction so as to use the clearer slip roads to gain a few spaces. Really petty driving and probably just added to the delays!

@hibs.net private member bringbackbenny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    Impatient pr!cks.
    The A720 city bypass was heavily congested and slow moving westbound this afternoon around 1400hrs,,,, lost count of the number of drivers who exited then rejoined at each junction so as to use the clearer slip roads to gain a few spaces. Really petty driving and probably just added to the delays!
    Ditto every evening northbound before the Queensferry Crossing. Does my t**s in.

When you come off the Western approach road at Westfield and the lanes merge opposite Wickes, some of the races to get prime spot are ridiculous.

Crazy overtaking.

I've just driven down to Glentress. Just as I was approaching Peeble a guy in a Range Rover swung right out into my path from the other side of the road to overtake a cyclist. I slammed my brakes on and swerved left, he pulled in inches past the cyclist and missed me by not much more.

There was absolutely nothing behind me and I hadn't seen anything in my mirror for miles. Would it have really hampered his journey to ease off for 3 or 4 seconds then overtake? Had I not been concentrating one or both of us would have been finishing our journey in a bodybag.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Approaching Sheriffhall roundabout on the A7 from the north, there's a choice of three lanes. There are five possible exits from the roundabout. Why does almost no-one, during their approach, indicate turning left if they intend to take the first exit, or indicate turning right if they intend to take the fifth exit? Sheriffhall's a bit of a mess but I don't understand why this basic behaviour seems to be suspended in the approach.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    Approaching Sheriffhall roundabout on the A7 from the north, there's a choice of three lanes. There are five possible exits from the roundabout. Why does almost no-one, during their approach, indicate turning left if they intend to take the first exit, or indicate turning right if they intend to take the fifth exit? Sheriffhall's a bit of a mess but I don't understand why this basic behaviour seems to be suspended in the approach.

A lack of signalling is annoying but why would signalling in these two situations be necessary?

As I remember it, I was told by my instructor 41 years ago, that the idea of signalling is to inform other road users of my intentions.

As you say, coming from the north and turning left to Millerhill would not affect any other traffic ditto turning right.

Sticking to one's lane and remaining in it means that indicating would cause confusion in a traffic light controlled roundabout.

Ps I live nearby and have observed drivers' behaviour here for many years. Originally there were no lights.

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    A lack of signalling is annoying but why would signalling in these two situations be necessary?

As I remember it, I was told by my instructor 41 years ago, that the idea of signalling is to inform other road users of my intentions.

As you say, coming from the north and turning left to Millerhill would not affect any other traffic ditto turning right.

Sticking to one's lane and remaining in it means that indicating would cause confusion in a traffic light controlled roundabout.

Ps I live nearby and have observed drivers' behaviour here for many years. Originally there were no lights.
    I'm not that familiar with Sheriffhall although I think now folk 'tend' to indicate in lanes that are only meant to go e.g. left as there are so many maniacs in the wrong lane these days it's gone to just being courteous and having a safer driving environment.
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post

The right hand of the three approach lanes is for traffic going to the A7 southbound and A720 westbound. It helps to know what other people intend to do. That's what signalling is for. To indicate a driver's intention. It's probably not ever "necessary" to signal.

The folk who only indicate after beginning to turn the wheel and change direction - it’s pointless now, I can see your car changing direction already, the indicator is to let people know what you’re going to do, not what you’re already doing! I can see the car changing direction, what would have been helpful is an indication of what you planned to do before you actually did it

Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    The folk who only indicate after beginning to turn the wheel and change direction - it’s pointless now, I can see your car changing direction already, the indicator is to let people know what you’re going to do, not what you’re already doing! I can see the car changing direction, what would have been helpful is an indication of what you planned to do before you actually did it
    Agreed, Mirror, Signal, Manoeuvre.