hibs.net Messageboard

Page 41 of 115 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 3430
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Getting a FPN for driving on the bus lane in Milton Road at 6.15 on Xmas Eve. No traffic on the road and I wasn't remotely thinking it was a normal week day
    The lanes are ongoing no matter what time of year, they should be classed as a sunday on public holidays like this.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    The lanes are ongoing no matter what time of year, they should be classed as a sunday on public holidays like this.
    Aye but it was Xmas Eve, a Tuesday and a normal working day, my own fault!

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    Getting a FPN for driving on the bus lane in Milton Road at 6.15 on Xmas Eve. No traffic on the road and I wasn't remotely thinking it was a normal week day

That camera will have made a absolute fortune since its launch at the end of September. Folk zip along there hoping to skip the queue.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

Not so much a peeve but a genuine query!
    The junction on the Queensferry Road at Craigleith shopping centre, where you have the 2 almost half lanes for turning into the shopping centre or going straight on for about 10 yards to turn into Groathill.
    If you intend turning into Groathill, do you wait for the green filter arrow, or do you go straight on when the light changes to green for straight ahead, and just wait for a gap in the traffic?
    If I’m at the front I go forward and wait for a gap but most behind me wait for the green filter arrow.
    Just wondering if I’ve got it wrong!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Thief View Post
    The junction on the Queensferry Road at Craigleith shopping centre, where you have the 2 almost half lanes for turning into the shopping centre or going straight on for about 10 yards to turn into Groathill.
    If you intend turning into Groathill, do you wait for the green filter arrow, or do you go straight on when the light changes to green for straight ahead, and just wait for a gap in the traffic?
    If I’m at the front I go forward and wait for a gap but most behind me wait for the green filter arrow.

Green filter to turn right, if you go before, you're turning into oncoming traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Green filter to turn right, if you go before, you're turning into oncoming traffic.
    I’ll stop doing it lol.
    What confuses me is that there is a specific lane to wait in which doesn’t hinder oncoming traffic, and technically I’m going straight on, then turning right.
    Don’t fancy falling foul of the law tho

I’ll stop doing it lol.
    What confuses me is that there is a specific lane to wait in which doesn’t hinder oncoming traffic, and technically I’m going straight on, then turning right.
    Don’t fancy falling foul of the law tho

You're still technically turning right, not going straight ahead, hence why you wait for the filter. 😁👍

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Never done it in a car, but I do what you do regularly on a bike. There's about 30 yards between the lights and the Groathill Avenue turnoff, and there's no reason not to proceed (ie no contraindications like pedestrians crossing or other vehicles entering the junction).
    Last edited by lapsedhibee; 12-01-2020 at 08:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    Never done it in a car, but I do what you do regularly on a bike. The first white arrow on the road after those lights is a straight-ahead arrow, not a right-turn arrow, so I think it's well justified to proceed on the straight-ahead filter, and then wait for oncoming traffic to stop, or break, before you turn right into Groathill. Nothing wrong with that whatsoever!
    That was always my take on it, but did notice others behind me stayed put until the filter came on.
    Was only after that happened a few times that I thought I’d post here.
    Suppose the definitive answer would be from traffic cops.

Car behind me tonight had full beams on from commercial street to Musselburgh. I could barely see by the time I got home. Should be a hanging offence IMO.

@hibs.net private member
    That was always my take on it, but did notice others behind me stayed put until the filter came on.
    Was only after that happened a few times that I thought I’d post here.
    Suppose the definitive answer would be from traffic cops.

I was under the impression green is for both moves, obviously you can only turn right in a break of traffic and the filter came on incase of times there is no break thus giving that lane the opportunity to turn?

I’m praying this is right or I too have been guilty of causing Peev

I don't know the junction well, but is the green you move on just a green or a green straight ahead arrow?

If it's the former I'd say you're right; if it's the latter I'd say you're wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    I don't know the junction well, but is the green you move on just a green or a green straight ahead arrow?

If it's the former I'd say you're right; if it's the latter I'd say you're wrong.
    I’ll have to confirm that next time I’m there, but from memory, it’s 2 separate green lights. One for straight ahead and one that comes on a couple minutes later for turning right.
    As Groathill has a lane and is 10 yards further on than shopping centre, I’ve always assumed that the green light for the right turn was ONLY for the shopping centre, but recently I’ve noticed I’m the only one that moves forward for Groathill while the shop centre red light shows.
    All very complicated but does seem that others do same as me!

Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post

The lane he is in is a right turn, there are 2 next each other, one for shopping centre, other for Groathill.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    I’ll have to confirm that next time I’m there, but from memory, it’s 2 separate green lights. One for straight ahead and one that comes on a couple minutes later for turning right.
    As Groathill has a lane and is 10 yards further on than shopping centre, I’ve always assumed that the green light for the right turn was ONLY for the shopping centre, but recently I’ve noticed I’m the only one that moves forward for Groathill while the shop centre red light shows.
    All very complicated but does seem that others do same as me!

Is this the lights at McDonald's and your coming into town, left lane for straight ahead right for for Craigleith retail centre, if so and you are turning right and no traffic coming towards you you can go, if there is a gap in traffic I go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    Is this the lights at McDonald's and your coming into town, left lane for straight ahead right for for Craigleith retail centre, if so and you are turning right and no traffic coming towards you you can go, if there is a gap in traffic I go for it.
    No, it’s heading out of town on the Queensferry Road, at the traffic lights at Craigleith shopping centre.
    I think I’ll wait at the red light in future, as it’s a heavy penalty if I’ve been in the wrong!
    I’ll try and check with the police.

@hibs.net private member staunchhibby's Avatar
    Wish motorists would ensure all there lights are working.Seen lots of cars with only one headlight working

No, it’s heading out of town on the Queensferry Road, at the traffic lights at Craigleith shopping centre.
    I think I’ll wait at the red light in future, as it’s a heavy penalty if I’ve been in the wrong!

Just drove in this way, there's a large right arrow on both lanes at the lights with Superstore written on the ground. There's then smaller arrows facing right in each lane after the lights, indicating which way and lane to be in, so it's definitely a right filter for the lane heading to Groathill.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar

The right turn to the shopping centre is the same light you use for turning to Groathill. The other light is for going straight ahead only. At least that’s my interpretation of it.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by staunchhibby View Post
    Wish motorists would ensure all there lights are working.Seen lots of cars with only one headlight working
    Tends to be a blessing these days. Preferable to the ultra bright LEDs in newer cars.

When I drove regularly in Edinburgh I never went until the filter if I was turning into Sainsbury's. If I was turning into Groathill Road I went as soon as the normal green light came on and waited until it was clear.

Cant remember why but it seemed like common sense at the time 😁

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Folk that panic when weather conditions are poor.
    Was travelling along the city bypass early Saturday when the rain wasn't taking its time in coming down. Heading east, just before the Dreghorn slip, there was a ripple of brake lights up ahead so I eased off the power and there going across the carriageway was what looked like a river due to the drains not managing to handle the volume of water. I knew just to grip the steering and neither brake nor accelerate through the water but the driver next to me panicked, jumped on the brakes and ended up fish-tailing, almost wiping us both out!

Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    Folk that panic when weather conditions are poor.
    Was travelling along the city bypass early Saturday when the rain wasn't taking its time in coming down. Heading east, just before the Dreghorn slip, there was a ripple of brake lights up ahead so I eased off the power and there going across the carriageway was what looked like a river due to the drains not managing to handle the volume of water. I knew just to grip the steering and neither brake nor accelerate through the water but the driver next to me panicked, jumped on the brakes and ended up fish-tailing, almost wiping us both out!

same when it snows, so many people don’t drive to the conditions

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    Can anyone explain what the solid white lines that have appeared on the roundabout on Broomhouse Road at Bankhead Drive are all about?
    If you are in the inside lane coming onto the roundabout and intending to head straight through from any direction, to me it looks like they want to direct you across the lanes of the roundabout instead of keeping to your lane. I've ignored them till now but wondered if I was doing sometning wrong.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfiembra View Post
    Can anyone explain what the solid white lines that have appeared on the roundabout on Broomhouse Road at Bankhead Drive are all about?
    If you are in the inside lane coming onto the roundabout and intending to head straight through from any direction, to me it looks like they want to direct you across the lanes of the roundabout instead of keeping to your lane. I've ignored them till now but wondered if I was doing sometning wrong.
    They've been there for at least 6 months, I think they're a hybrid of lake markers and stop lines. There are certain times of the day the R-A-B gets blocked so rather than paint yellow boxes they've came up with some road markings that I've never seen in any Highway Code book.

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    They've been there for at least 6 months, I think they're a hybrid of lake markers and stop lines. There are certain times of the day the R-A-B gets blocked so rather than paint yellow boxes they've came up with some road markings that I've never seen in any Highway Code book.
    Ah starting to make a bit more sense. So I guess as you say when it's busy if you get caught on the R-A-B and can't exit, you wait at the solid line so that other traffic can still pass in front of you.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Exile View Post
    Car behind me tonight had full beams on from commercial street to Musselburgh. I could barely see by the time I got home. Should be a hanging offence IMO.
    Why didn't you flip the anti glare tab on your rear view mirror?

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    Shouldn't have to, plus you get blinded in your wing mirrors.

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    My Mazda 6 doesnt seem to have that.
    Had it in my older one but not this one.

Can it be automatic maybe?
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sleeping giant View Post
    My Mazda 6 doesnt seem to have that.
    Had it in my older one but not this one.

Can it be automatic maybe?
    Many rear view mirrors dim themselves automatically now.