hibs.net Messageboard

Page 86 of 115 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,580 of 3436
    @hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Added to the road closures, diversions and multitude of road works going on I can blame them. Without a lorry fire on the bypass Edinburgh it's still a nightmare, yesterday just made it worse. Was it the lorry fire that cause traffic problems on Market st and the mound area?
    To my very limited knowledge, there was no new road closures or diversions implemented by the council yesterday, but driving & cycling around yesterday afternoon there was indeed delayed and queuing traffic in the centre of town exacerbated by the 1000's of extra cars trying to find a route from East to West.
    I myself took over 90 minutes to drive from Colinton to Gyle. I put my best taxi driver hat on and tried to figure out a way that avoided what Google said was congested routes. By the time I got to Western Corner I realised everyone was doing the same thing, I'm sure I passed the same Tesco home delivery van 3 times as we were doing circles around each other 😂
    My sister-in-law was stuck between Straiton & Dreghorn for over 3 hours.
    I also heard this morning that a colleague at work had relations that missed a flight and they'd given themselves hours extra in the vain attempt to beat the recently reported queueing issues that the departure hall security had been experiencing.
    That single incident just after 11am caused 9+ hours of delays, congestion and knock on effects.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    To my very limited knowledge, there was no new road closures or diversions implemented by the council yesterday, but driving & cycling around yesterday afternoon there was indeed delayed and queuing traffic in the centre of town exacerbated by the 1000's of extra cars trying to find a route from East to West.
    I myself took over 90 minutes to drive from Colinton to Gyle. I put my best taxi driver hat on and tried to figure out a way that avoided what Google said was congested routes. By the time I got to Western Corner I realised everyone was doing the same thing, I'm sure I passed the same Tesco home delivery van 3 times as we were doing circles around each other 😂
    My sister-in-law was stuck between Straiton & Dreghorn for over 3 hours.
    I also heard this morning that a colleague at work had relations that missed a flight and they'd given themselves hours extra in the vain attempt to beat the recently reported queueing issues that the departure hall security had been experiencing.
    That single incident just after 11am caused 9+ hours of delays, congestion and knock on effects.
    Agree with most of that.

I'm not sure what the Council could have done yesterday. If anything, it highlighted (again) the inadequacy of the Bypass. That's nothing to do with the Council AFAIK.
    Last edited by CropleyWasGod; 15-04-2022 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I never, ever let them in. There is probably the odd occasion that someone has made a mistake but 99% of the time it's chancers who are at it. Nothing better than when you get the perfect scenario of someone in the right lane not letting them in and the driver behind the offender in the left lane hammering the horn whilst Mr chancer sits raging with an indicator on. There's the odd time I've seen someone shamed enough that they are forced to continue up the left lane and turn the wrong way. It's beautiful when it happens.

cannot agree with you more on this

@hibs.net private member
    I never, ever let them in. There is probably the odd occasion that someone has made a mistake but 99% of the time it's chancers who are at it. Nothing better than when you get the perfect scenario of someone in the right lane not letting them in and the driver behind the offender in the left lane hammering the horn whilst Mr chancer sits raging with an indicator on. There's the odd time I've seen someone shamed enough that they are forced to continue up the left lane and turn the wrong way. It's beautiful when it happens.
    You should’ve seen what happen last week - I didn’t let her in and she managed to sneak in behind me. Flashing her lights, tooting horn and giving the 1 fingered salute. Then tried to overtake me and went close to a head on before coming back in and increasing the level of tooting and hollering. It was wild - and all cos she ignored the big left only arrow when she came off the roundabout at Asda.

I live near Porty High School and get that a lot coming past ASDA. There is usually always some bellend sitting in the left lane indicating to get over to go down Harry Lauder. I take great pleasure in sitting behind them hammering the horn and then get some satisfaction when they are foreced to take a left onto Milton Road then spin round, having to then wait at the lights.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    People who decide that post filling their car with fuel at the self service pumps is the perfect time to make a phone call, nip in to the store for a weekly shop, sort all the receipts in their wallet then have a 5 minute chat with the passenger.

Fill you car then **** off to one of the other parking spaces to do all the other ***** you need to do so the rest of us can get on with our day.
    On the flip side people who pull up behind you when you are filling up and waiting ( because their fuel cap is on that side) whilst there are free pumps on the opposite side, but they haven't figured out that the pumps extend so they can fill from either side of any car. Especially if they appear to be getting impatient.

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    On the flip side people who pull up behind you when you are filling up and waiting ( because their fuel cap is on that side) whilst there are free pumps on the opposite side, but they haven't figured out that the pumps extend so they can fill from either side of any car. Especially if they appear to be getting impatient.
    Personally and inexplicably when I did this the hose caused a significant scratch in the bodywork..no idea how but I'll fill up how I want thanks 😉
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

Quote Originally Posted by Wembley67 View Post
    Personally and inexplicably when I did this the hose caused a significant scratch in the bodywork..no idea how but I'll fill up how I want thanks 😉
    You do that, but just don't expect people in front to rush for you because of your inability to work out how to use the other simple to use pumps that are available.

Quote Originally Posted by Wembley67 View Post
    I personally wouldn't stretch the hose across either unless I absolutely had to.
    Forecourts are filthy places, a lot of oil, grease & dirt on those pipes, coupled with the sand they use for fuel spills, no danger I'm stretching that across my rear end 🙄

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    People who can’t work out how to park their car properly at the pump so the hose doesn’t touch their bodywork when stretched around the back of their car.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    I know it’s in the Highway Code and there’s probably a good reason for it, but the boxes for cyclists at the front of the queue at traffic lights. On the way to work yesterday, queue forming behind a cyclist as the roads reasonably narrow. Get to the traffic lights, they breeze to the front and everyone gets held up again.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    People who can’t work out how to park their car properly at the pump so the hose doesn’t touch their bodywork when stretched around the back of their car.

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    I had a large van at the time
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Road works in the capital, WTF, Balgreen to Seafield took me nearly 2 hours today, are the council just trying to bring the city to a standstill, what a joke Edinburgh is just now.

Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    Road works in the capital, WTF, Balgreen to Seafield took me nearly 2 hours today, are the council just trying to bring the city to a standstill, what a joke Edinburgh is just now.
    You could walk it in that, probably cycle in under 30 minutes. Perhaps it's all part of the Councils cunning plan 🤔

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    I think it's about time the government started getting rid of the tax breaks and/or increasing taxes for vans and pick up trucks. There's far too many of these on the road now. I feel like at some points of the day there's just as many vans and pick ups as cars.
    Last edited by Gatecrasher; 12-05-2022 at 07:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatecrasher View Post
    I think it's about time the government started getting rid of the tax breaks and/or increasing taxes for vans and pick up trucks. There's far too many of these on the road now. I feel like at some points of the day there's just as many vans and pick ups as cars.
    I'm definitely seeing a lot of contractors driving around in Ford Ranger Wildtracks. They're pretty useless for anything that actually needs good access to tools/ladders, their auto
    box is probably one of the worst in the market and they can't be parked in a standard size space or driveway.

But, unfortunately, they come highly specced and have an attractive BIK rating.

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    Cyclists that blatantly ignore red traffic lights. Saw one this morning at Gillespie crossroads, no hesitation, straight through a red light and fortunately traffic was quiet and no mishaps. What really gets me going though is all the effort that’s gone in recently to encourage more people to cycle in the city with protected cycle lanes the very least they could do is obey the rules of the road.

People that dont understand when a sign says road merges (from 2 lanes down to one) in 400 yards then it means that in 400 yards the 2 lanes should merge.

Instead they join the left lane far too soon creating tailbacks and then get angry when drivers in the right hand lane correctly try to merge at the end of the 400 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    I'm definitely seeing a lot of contractors driving around in Ford Ranger Wildtracks. They're pretty useless for anything that actually needs good access to tools/ladders, their auto
    box is probably one of the worst in the market and they can't be parked in a standard size space or driveway.

But, unfortunately, they come highly specced and have an attractive BIK rating.
    Aye, cause they're treated as vans.

An absolutely crazy loophole.

Sat in stationary traffic westbound on M8 for 20 minutes this afternoon. Eventually passed incident which was on eastbound carriageway. Was it just rubberneckers or did they close whole road?

Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    Sat in stationary traffic westbound on M8 for 20 minutes this afternoon. Eventually passed incident which was on eastbound carriageway. Was it just rubberneckers or did they close whole road?

I believe they did close the road in both directions at one point, however it really boils my piss with how much traffic gets snarled up by folk wanting to gawk at some kind of accident and possible tragedy on the other side of the road!

Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    I believe they did close the road in both directions at one point, however it really boils my piss with how much traffic gets snarled up by folk wanting to gawk at some kind of accident and possible tragedy on the other side of the road!
    More annoying that they don't use those great big signs to convey any sort of warning message about hold ups. My seat belt was on and my tyres were properly inflated but thanks for the reminder.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Paying £30 for being in a bus lane, didn’t even no they had put new cameras up at Stenhouse Drive.

Paying £30 for being in a bus lane, didn’t even no they had put new cameras up at Stenhouse Drive.

Been up for a while, quite a few around Edinburgh now.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    As an outsider, I'm astonished how many people don't drive in the bus lane when permitted to use them. Admittedly, I'm usually only on Queensferry Road into town but the bit around blackhall to craigleith is always a good example of everyone driving in the outside lane when the bus lane is available.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    As an outsider, I'm astonished how many people don't drive in the bus lane when permitted to use them. Admittedly, I'm usually only on Queensferry Road into town but the bit around blackhall to craigleith is always a good example of everyone driving in the outside lane when the bus lane is available.

When I had a company car I would use the bus lanes when appropriate.

Now that I own my car I don't : pot holes caused by buses. Pure and simple.

Traffic wardens not getting these extra public holidays?

Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    Its unbelievable at times. Couple of weeks ago at 2pm on the main St Johns/Corstorphine Road cars were queued at crawling pace in the right hand lane all the way from Balgreen Road up to just before the Subway/Eastern Pavilion etc. Yet the greenway was completely free all the way up - which was fantastic for me as I was able to just drive right up the inside.

Its like people think their car is going to explode if they go in the greenway.

Trying to pay a parking ticket but can't because it hasn't been processed yet as everybody has been on holiday apart the the prick that issued it. Make the prick who got the ticket as well.