hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    @hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalianwanda View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Surgeons up there with one of best gigs i’ve been to...In a wee cellar bar in Dublin, intense.
    Was watching this set last night - just exquisite. The last 20 minutes is almost perfection.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    Was at Dekmantel last summer. Amazing festival, probably the best I've attended bar Burning Man in the States.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar

i don’t care whatever the music snobs say, this was decent. And this guy paved the way for techno in Scotland.

United we stand here....

Can I borrow some ambition? degenerated's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I remember proper hardcore when joey beltram was the second hardest dj of the night. These days will never be beaten, because everything after those nights is just a recreation of events. You were either there or you weren’t.
    When I first started going to raves and clubs it was all that sort of heavy belgian style stuff like Beltram, The Hypnotist, Human Resource etc. Then i remember hearing this and being absolutely blown away.

https://youtu.be/HQGmsQ2_Fa0

Back then my favourite DJs were Fabio, DJ Seduction, Top Buzz, Ellis Dee

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Was at the orbit once back in 1992, I think. Bus load of is went down from here and had a cracking night. Great venue and great atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by degenerated View Post
    When I first started going to raves and clubs it was all that sort of heavy belgian style stuff like Beltram, The Hypnotist, Human Resource etc. Then i remember hearing this and being absolutely blown away.

https://youtu.be/HQGmsQ2_Fa0

Back then my favourite DJs were Fabio, DJ Seduction, Top Buzz, Ellis Dee

I saw all of those mate. Seduction was my favourite, you must be from the same era as me.
    This song was one I remember from the early days.
    https://youtu.be/tyzFacZU_wc

United we stand here....

When I lived in Germany I remember Sven Vãth playing his legendary 12 hour sets with a couple of crates of beer and, eh, a few other things. I still love accident in paradise, strangely its very chilled given his pumping DJ sets. Saw him, Carl Cox and some others at Brixton Academy, messy.

Quote Originally Posted by wpj View Post
    When I lived in Germany I remember Sven Vãth playing his legendary 12 hour sets with a couple of crates of beer and, eh, a few other things. I still love accident in paradise, strangely its very chilled given his pumping DJ sets. Saw him, Carl Cox and some others at Brixton Academy, messy.
    I saw Carl Cox loads of times, he was a great DJ.

United we stand here....

I saw Carl Cox loads of times, he was a great DJ.
    Still is 😉 one of the legends of the dance scene

Aha, it's coming back to me, the Brixton rave had Josh Wink playing an acid set.

United we stand here....

Genuine question as I know next to nothing about this sort of music, other than I enjoy the trainspotting soundtrack...

When people talk about “a great DJ” does it usually mean that they’re particularly talented on decks (like a guitarist for example) when you go see them live, or is it more that they’ve got a good ear for knowing what mixes well and they produce good music? Or a mix of both/something else?

Like I say, it’s not something I know anything about and I’ve traditionally been one of those unenlightened ones that see DJs as making it big from playing other folk’s records!

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Genuine question as I know next to nothing about this sort of music, other than I enjoy the trainspotting soundtrack...

When people talk about “a great DJ” does it usually mean that they’re particularly talented on decks (like a guitarist for example) when you go see them live, or is it more that they’ve got a good ear for knowing what mixes well and they produce good music? Or a mix of both/something else?

Like I say, it’s not something I know anything about and I’ve traditionally been one of those unenlightened ones that see DJs as making it big from playing other folk’s records!
    A mixture of those things, technical ability in mixing tunes together whilst getting the pitch right on tunes with different BPM. Knowing how to manipulate the dancefloor through the choice of tunes as well.

Back in the rave days it was also about having the right contacts as well, those that made a decent fist of it had a source of the white label demo pressings of stuff sent out to them from record shops on a weekly basis. Ultimately the quality of the tunes they got would determine how good they could be.

One of my mates who was the main DJ at Calton Studios back then got in with a shop called music power in Essex and was getting the same tunes as the top dj's like Fabio, Grooverider, Ellis Dee, Carl Cox etc were getting at that time. It was sometimes months before you'd hear others playing them.

Sent from my CPH2009 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by degenerated View Post
    A mixture of those things, technical ability in mixing tunes together whilst getting the pitch right on tunes with different BPM. Knowing how to manipulate the dancefloor through the choice of tunes as well.

Back in the rave days it was also about having the right contacts as well, those that made a decent fist of it had a source of the white label demo pressings of stuff sent out to them from record shops on a weekly basis. Ultimately the quality of the tunes they got would determine how good they could be.

One of my mates who was the main DJ at Calton Studios back then got in with a shop called music power in Essex and was getting the same tunes as the top dj's like Fabio, Grooverider, Ellis Dee, Carl Cox etc were getting at that time. It was sometimes months before you'd hear others playing them.

Sent from my CPH2009 using Tapatalk
    Cheers for the response 👍 I hear a few friends and colleagues on about good DJs, and I couldn’t tell the difference between one of the top dogs and the guy from the local nightclub, but at least I know a bit more about what makes the best, the best, now!

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Why did you have to bump bump bump bump this thread 😉
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Cheers for the response 👍 I hear a few friends and colleagues on about good DJs, and I couldn’t tell the difference between one of the top dogs and the guy from the local nightclub, but at least I know a bit more about what makes the best, the best, now!
    You could also look at the fact that some dj's are producers. Literally bringing together a number of strands to create their own music. DJs traditionally are selectors that move one tune into the next or have some sort of link so theres a flow.

Some DJ's are great selectors of amazing tunes but cant mix them for toffee. Personally I dont mind that as long ass they know their limitations and do what they are good at

Some good tracks here,

https://testpressing.org/magazine/dj...al-tour-tracks

Ex Pure DJ has written a couple of books and has a Chilli sauce collaboration (Harry’s kebab house)

https://jimbos.co/shop

Quote Originally Posted by Loopz View Post
    Some good tracks here,

https://testpressing.org/magazine/dj...al-tour-tracks

Ex Pure DJ has written a couple of books and has a Chilli sauce collaboration (Harry’s kebab house)

https://jimbos.co/shop

I forgot to say, a well written interesting article.

United we stand here....

Blog Entries

Blog Entries
    Mind seeing Paula Temple take the 5am-7am set in Sheffield.....She doesnt hold back

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vyM35aC7nyQ