hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Tom English...one of them???

Anyone watch Billy Dodds calling out Tom English as a Hearts fan on the BBC final score today?

Is this true or a piss take on what we think of him?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyone watch Billy Dodds calling out Tom English as a Hearts fan on the BBC final score today?

Few folk on here I’m sure said he was a jambo as well. No shock you only seem to get a job if you have a love in with them.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    Few folk on here I’m sure said he was a jambo as well. No shock you only seem to get a job if you have a love in with them.
    I thought he was a Rugby Man, that probably confirms it though.

No idea who he supports but I like English. Calls it as he sees it and put his point across well.

When we were crap he said it and when we have been good he's been full of praise for us.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member

He's one of the few pundits/journalists that talks any sense, so I have quite a lot of time for him. And given that he is, er, Irish, I doubt very much that he supports Hearts.....

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Bit of an egg chaser hence his appreciation of the finer points of pottery.
    Sadly I think sometimes he's not too bad.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    He seems to have a soft spot for them but as others have already pointed out he's usually pretty fair and reasonable in his coverage of Scottish football.

Coaching Staff
    Not just a pundit, but a decent sports journalist. Always pretty unbiased reporting I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat Stanton View Post
    He's one of the few pundits/journalists that talks any sense, so I have quite a lot of time for him. And given that he is, er, Irish, I doubt very much that he supports Hearts.....
    Why wouldn't he? There are many non-catholics in ROI, particularly in some of the counties around Dublin- Wicklow for example. The sectarian foot-kicking nonsense that a lot of Scottish football supporters prefer to view the world through isn't universally recognised or acknowledged by many in ROI. Obviously Mr English will know all about it but that doesn't mean he feels the need to conform to it and he may very well be a jambo prick
    Last edited by Mr White; 30-12-2017 at 07:57 PM.

Blog Entries
    Always good to know what team a journalist supports when he’s giving his ‘unbiased’ opinion though eh?

Always good to know what team a journalist supports when he’s giving his ‘unbiased’ opinion though eh?
    I always worry what Chick's going to say when we're playing St Mirren

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    No, I meant who they reaaallly support.😀

I used to like him and find him very reasonable but suddenly, he’s a ****

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    He'll just talk about the 'glorious Glasgow Rangers', as always.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member
    Why wouldn't he? There are many non-catholics in ROI, particularly in some of the counties around Dublin- Wicklow for example. The sectarian foot-kicking nonsense that a lot of Scottish football supporters prefer to view the world through isn't universally recognised or acknowledged by many in ROI. Obviously Mr English will know all about it but that doesn't mean he feels the need to conform to it and he may very well be a jambo prick
    Erm... I didn't mean it in that sense. I just meant he's from a different country, therefore it's unlikely he supports any team from Edinburgh. From experience of visits to Ireland, there are numbers from the North (obviously) who support Septic/Rankers, and a good number from Donegal who support Septic. Further south, however, they all seem to support English teams, and have very little interest in anything Scottish. And they are often more interested in other sports too.

Has everyone forgotten his comments on Spotscene after the Cup Final? My opinion of him went way downhill immediately. Thought was good up until then.

Total lies. Total fabrication. All said to provoke a reaction. Not a good word to be said. His tone of degrading Hibs fans to be the dregs of **** have stayed with me since then. All that he said had no factual substance, so if he’s that good a journalist, he would at least have tried to be honest and truthful rather than spouting some verbal diarrhoea like he did.

Piss take, surely.
    I know from previous visits to Jambos Brokeback website that they hate him with a passion because he's an Irish, Catholic Celtic supporter(their opinions, not mine).

Surely it's time to close down the internet if we're now accepting at face value any gems of wisdom from Billy f***** Dodds???? 🤪

Erm... I didn't mean it in that sense. I just meant he's from a different country, therefore it's unlikely he supports any team from Edinburgh. From experience of visits to Ireland, there are numbers from the North (obviously) who support Septic/Rankers, and a good number from Donegal who support Septic. Further south, however, they all seem to support English teams, and have very little interest in anything Scottish. And they are often more interested in other sports too.
    Fair enough apologies for taking it the wrong way but it's not an uncommon misconception in my experience.

As to why someone from another country would support an Edinburgh team? Perhaps he studied in Edinburgh? He lives in Scotland and writes about Scottish football for a living so it wouldn't be a massive surprise if he had a preference for a particular team would it?

Left by mutual consent!
    He's a tim

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Tom English is a Liverpool supporter. Like many of his Limerick pals growing up it was the lure of English football and not Scottish football that captured their attention. He's mentioned it a few times.

@hibs.net private member
    Fair enough apologies for taking it the wrong way but it's not an uncommon misconception in my experience.

As to why someone from another country would support an Edinburgh team? Perhaps he studied in Edinburgh? He lives in Scotland and writes about Scottish football for a living so it wouldn't be a massive surprise if he had a preference for a particular team would it?
    No worries. And yeah, suppose you could be right. I would probably doubt it 'though. But he's on Twitter, I believe, so perhaps someone could ask him - it wouldn't be the maddest thing he's been asked on Twitter... And linking that to your point, one of the reasons I have time for him is that alongside Graham Spiers, he's one of the very few journalists to publicly lambast The Rangers for the recent resurgence in sectarian singing (via Twitter too, I think, resulting in the predictable vile nonsense being hurled at him).

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    Tom English is a Liverpool supporter. Like many of his Limerick pals growing up it was the lure of English football and not Scottish football that captured their attention. He's mentioned it a few times.
    That sounds a bit like Chick claiming to be a Buddy

Left by mutual consent!
    He spent a few years as no bad seeing independent and sticking it to the Huns. He's changed massively in the last couple of years and now corporation.

@hibs.net private member Sprouleflyer's Avatar
    From English’s BBC report

And Hearts were denied a late penalty when Lewis Stevenson appeared to control a free-kick with his right arm.

Denied a late penalty? Really Tom, herzt ****!

No worries. And yeah, suppose you could be right. I would probably doubt it 'though. But he's on Twitter, I believe, so perhaps someone could ask him - it wouldn't be the maddest thing he's been asked on Twitter... And linking that to your point, one of the reasons I have time for him is that alongside Graham Spiers, he's one of the very few journalists to publicly lambast The Rangers for the recent resurgence in sectarian singing (via Twitter too, I think, resulting in the predictable vile nonsense being hurled at him).
    I'd like to hear him get stuck into hearts for... well it's too long to list it all but pretty much everything they've done since 2005 for starters
    Last edited by Mr White; 30-12-2017 at 08:45 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprouleflyer View Post

And Hearts were denied a late penalty when Lewis Stevenson appeared to control a free-kick with his right arm.

Right enough, that in itself must mean he is a Hearts fan..

(I'd do that rolling eyes thing here, but I can't be arsed)

@hibs.net private member
    I'd like to hear him get stuck into hearts for... well it's too long to list it all but pretty much everything they've done since 2005 for starters
    Agreed....

In fairness, I think I have heard him criticise them frequently.

Agreed....

In fairness, I think I have heard him criticise them frequently.
    He was surely raging when his laptop got rained on the other week...

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprouleflyer View Post

There were some hibs fans who were at the game who thought it was a penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by hibby6270 View Post
    Has everyone forgotten his comments on Spotscene after the Cup Final? My opinion of him went way downhill immediately. Thought was good up until then.

Total lies. Total fabrication. All said to provoke a reaction. Not a good word to be said. His tone of degrading Hibs fans to be the dregs of **** have stayed with me since then. All that he said had no factual substance, so if he’s that good a journalist, he would at least have tried to be honest and truthful rather than spouting some verbal diarrhoea like he did.
    Well said, and I've said it before regarding him. Probably against the grain that I don't think he's all that good at journalism, certainly not when it comes to Scottish football. He's a sensationalist without any substance when it comes to the here and now regarding the football. Always looking for an angle that is popular and what people want to hear.