hibs.net Messageboard

View Poll Results: Hibs at end of 2017 - where are we going?

Voters
158. You may not vote on this poll
  • Continuing the upward trajectory

139 87.97%
  • Plateaued

17 10.76%
  • Starting to go backwards

2 1.27%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Well 2017 is almost over, what's your thoughts on where Hibs are going

Obviously winning the Scottish Cup in 2016 makes that year extra special. But what has 2017 been like for you (Hibs related only).

I really do believe we're going from strength to strength.

We've had a few poor results, especially at home. The Hamilton and St Johnstone games were poor results and showed up some of our weaknesses. The games against Aberdeen shows that we've a bit to go before we reach their sustained level. The games against Celtic show that we're more than capable of competing against the best. The games against The Rangers show how poor they are and we should have beaten them in both games.

So, in my view, we are still on that upward trajectory. The feel good factor is still there. The crowds have been fantastic and are generally very supportive of the team. We need to strengthen in some key areas - no need to mention where as there's been many threads on where we need this.

In you view are Hibs still on an upward trajectory, have plateaued or are starting to go backwards.

This is in comparison with 2016 as a whole, not just comparing it against the 21st May 2016.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Continuing to move forward in all areas of the club.

the higher attendances will translate into healthier accounts next year, our academy will continue to produce exciting prospects even if we do lose the likes of McGinn, and we should be able to cement our position as a top 4 side.

If if there was one improvement I’d like to see it would be HSL stepping forward and becoming everything it should be but that subject has been done to death on here and I suppose it’s partly because of the good shape the club is in that is preventing that.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    IMO the pleasing aspect about where we are now and where we are going is that it's not about one person. In the past we'd be too reliant on a manager or a few players who would inevitably be sold where as now if Lennon was to leave tomorrow there'd still be a great structure in place.

Historically (well in my lifetime) i think we'd have one or two good seasons then pay for them with years of dross where as now i get the feeling we could be set for a period of sustained 'success'.

Hope so anyway.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Looking good for a top four finish in our first season back in the SPFL
    Crowds are up substantially
    Outstanding away form in 2017
    Squad is getting player
    Lennon making progress as the months pass
    Much better in many off field areas
    Hearts can't beat us

Pleasing
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Blog Entries
    I said ‘plateaued’ but I mean it for this season. I’ve always thought that a period of consolidation in the Scottish Premiership would be acceptable. It looks like that’s happening so I won’t be heartbroken if we drift around where we are. With good business in the transfer window, next season could see us make a more sustained move for top three.

Coaching Staff
    First season back after 3 in the Championship think Hibs are meeting expectations.

The positive stuff above i agree with Our continued lack of goals from Midfield and not having a Striking Partnership that works well together with both scoring is probably fantasy but still think we need to improve improve in that area and last night showed we had no one that could put in the right ball to allow Boyle to Run onto and players surely can be coached to stay onside
    Not meant to be negative more these are areas we need to improve on to look to finish higher than fourth Realistically the best we could of hoped for was third given The Rangers form but lack of consistency has hampered that objective
    Will be renewing my Season Ticket as soon as i can for next Season to show my continued Support

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the 14th January we played away at Dumbarton in front of 1500 people.

We have ended the year consolidating 4th place in the Premiership, one defeat away from home in nine months and going 9 unbeaten against our biggest rivals.

I would say we have had a pretty good 2017.

Someone thinks we’re going backwards...

if it’s not a jambo engaging in a spot of wishful thinking, could this individual explain why he thinks that? Not having a go, everyone’s entitled to an opinion, just interested

Quote Originally Posted by Easter Rising View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

if it’s not a jambo engaging in a spot of wishful thinking, could this individual explain why he thinks that? Not having a go, everyone’s entitled to an opinion, just interested
    If not a Yam, maybe a "half pint empty" type person.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Easter Rising View Post

Certain to be a Jambo, and, to be fair, I'd do the same in their position, even if Hearts had just won the Champions League.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Think we are on the way up, but still got a bit to go to get into the top 2/3
    Need quality signings in, if we lose John

I accidentally ticked the wrong box.

The last option should be zero.

@hibs.net private member HiBremian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post

You could do a job as an SPFL linesman, Keeks

Made Scottish Cup semi

Made league cup semi

Won the championship

Record season ticket sales

4th in league on return to top league

Strong squad, pace, width, strength.

Average home crowd c 18k. Sell out versus hinds, Celtic and yams.

Exceeding expectations would be my summary. Still think a year, maybe two behind sheep but with good additions in Jan window, 4th should be more than achievable and 3rd a real possibility.

Solid start to life back in the top tier.

Room for improvement of course but we’re in a position to do that and have a solid platform to build from. The whole club is definitely still on an upward trajectory.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member
    It has been a good year. Good position in the league, good cup runs and maintain our run against Hearts. My only concern is recruitment this year and last hasn't been great and with the huge gates we are getting we need to take full advantage. The best players we have are all still from the Stubbs era but Lennon should be congratulated for getting some existing players to resign.
    If SJM leaves this window then recruitment is going to be vital. We will have money to spend and if we are spending on the basis of 18K gates then we need to get it right. I suspect we will correctly be more prudent but we won't get 18K if we don't stay in the top six and that will depend on our signings, maybe not so much this season but definitely next.

The other huge positive is the emergence of three very good development players. They all look like they have a chance of making it.

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    It has been a good year. Good position in the league, good cup runs and maintain our run against Hearts. My only concern is recruitment this year and last hasn't been great and with the huge gates we are getting we need to take full advantage. The best players we have are all still from the Stubbs era but Lennon should be congratulated for getting some existing players to resign.
    If SJM leaves this window then recruitment is going to be vital. We will have money to spend and if we are spending on the basis of 18K gates then we need to get it right. I suspect we will correctly be more prudent but we won't get 18K if we don't stay in the top six and that will depend on our signings, maybe not so much this season but definitely next.

The other huge positive is the emergence of three very good development players. They all look like they have a chance of making it.
    yes, at the risk of stating the obvious the academy is key to the future, producing our own players rather than having to buy all the time (however shrewdly) is the way we can consolidate on and off the pitch.

Very encouraging

I voted "plateaued", simply because it's difficult to see us doing substantially better than we are this season.

But that plateau means being a deserved top four club which is competing for second and regularly making cup semi finals so it's a good plateau to have reached.

Celtc's financial advantage means that I don't see us mounting a challenge for the league title. Add in competition from Aberdeen and Sevco and it's difficult to see us winning cups more than once or twice a decade.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

I’d say we’re early on the up but this season has been a wee bit of a disappointment. I went into the season thinking it was potentially the best squad I’ve seen in the 25 years I’ve been going to matches, but I think we’ve underperformed and we look a bit behind Rangers and Aberdeen. I’m hoping we can improve in the second half of the season and I’ve got a lot of faith in Lennon and everyone behind the scenes.

If Lennon is up for the long term challenge at Hibs I think the next 5-10 years could be very successful.

Upfront & goalie are the 2 areas I'm a bit meh about. Hope Lennon can find a few hidden diamonds that Stubbs before him did for us. That would be nice!

There or thereabouts in terms of where we should be this season. Fourth is well achievable and that is where I now expect us to finish.

Aim for 2018 needs to be to improve the home record.

I'm ok with how we are doing this season.
    I know things don't always go your way but our play has merited more points, most of the time for us not killing off teams. There was/is an obvious bounce on attendances from May 2016. If we have a decent season this term, then I'm sure the crowds will be great again next season. We're definitely on the up.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jakedance View Post
    I’d say we’re early on the up but this season has been a wee bit of a disappointment. I went into the season thinking it was potentially the best squad I’ve seen in the 25 years I’ve been going to matches, but I think we’ve underperformed and we look a bit behind Rangers and Aberdeen. I’m hoping we can improve in the second half of the season and I’ve got a lot of faith in Lennon and everyone behind the scenes.

If Lennon is up for the long term challenge at Hibs I think the next 5-10 years could be very successful.

Probably true, but losing all our recognised strikers from last season did little for our consistency.

Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post

I was hoping for and still think 3rd is achievable, we have a little bit to catch up on the Dons but Huns are catchable, we have underperformed IMO, but, we are on the up. Hopefully we find a like for like replacement for SJM and invest the money wisely. We are on the up.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    IMO the pleasing aspect about where we are now and where we are going is that it's not about one person. In the past we'd be too reliant on a manager or a few players who would inevitably be sold where as now if Lennon was to leave tomorrow there'd still be a great structure in place.

Historically (well in my lifetime) i think we'd have one or two good seasons then pay for them with years of dross where as now i get the feeling we could be set for a period of sustained 'success'.

Hope so anyway.
    Good post - that sums up where my thoughts are with it as well.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member
    Couldn't vote from my phone but we are on the up! We have a strong and talented squad even if there's room for improvement in certain areas. Lennon has shown fantastic attitude and desire which I think has been reflected in what was already a buoyant and spirited squad. I think Lennon has the nous to make further improvements and should have the means to do so given the brilliant backing being shown by the support. I hope to see a strong finish to the season with a genuine challenge for 2nd place which I don't think is beyond us - even if Aberdeen are in poll position.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    I am happy with where we are. Decent cup run and 4th place as it stands. I'll admit that this division has been a bigger step up than expected.

My hope is that we kick on in the 2nd half of the season. With just a little bit more quality we could have 10 more points already. There's a lot left to play for this season.