hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stokes

Blog Entries

Stokes

He has to get a mention in dispatches for his fantastic pass to Stevenson at our second goal. He gets a fair amount of flak but he has a great football brain and I’m delighted his recent ‘fall from grace’ seems to be behind him. His contribution will be invaluable against Sevco and Aberdeen.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Stokes is more effective when he has a fellow striker nearer to him. When he's the central lone striker between two wide players he struggles a little. Taking today as an example I thought he offered a different proposition when Ollie came on to partner him upfront late on in the game. If we are going to play a forward line of Boyle, Barker and one central striker then I think Simon Murray is a better option. I like Stokesy but we have to play to his strengths if hes in the team. A difficult job today though as we were under the cosh for long periods of the game and both Boyle and Barker spent alot of time having to track back, which they both did very well but it left Stokesy isolated upfront.

Left by mutual consent!
    Stevo also deserves credit for his involvement today. Thought he was superb throughout and he was good in the final 3rd too.

Left by mutual consent!
    Stokes was getting pelters from some morons around me today. Still not quite sure why.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Stokes is more effective when he has a fellow striker nearer to him. When he's the central lone striker between two wide players he struggles a little. Taking today as an example I thought he offered a different proposition when Ollie came on to partner him upfront late on in the game. If we are going to play a forward line of Boyle, Barker and one central striker then I think Simon Murray is a better option. I like Stokesy but we have to play to his strengths if hes in the team. A difficult job today though as we were under the cosh for long periods of the game and both Boyle and Barker spent alot of time having to track back, which they both did very well but it left Stokesy isolated upfront.
    He was completely ineffective until Shaw came on. Up until their second goal we were never a threat. That wasn’t Stokes fault, but it shows we’re better playing with 2 strikers.

United we stand here....

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by 660 View Post
    Stokes was getting pelters from some morons around me today. Still not quite sure why.
    Some folk will never take to him, probably because some of his stuff is clever and not appreciate.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post

Spot on. It was the same in the semi final.. Never a lone striker but def an intelligent player when he has someone to do the hard graft around him

I think stokes is better a wee bit deeper. Like behind the striker or out wide. Does ok up top on his own but is better deeper.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Stokes is a lot better when he plays as a number 10

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    I thought Stokes was good today, even when he was up central on his own, he won quite a few headers against thier centre halfs but the wide players obv didn't expect him to so hadn't gambled on the flick on. Some clever play from him today.

He was getting some stick around me, for not chasing the ball down more it seemed...2 defenders and Brown there most of the time...I really dinnae know what some folk think Stokes running himself into the ground and having the ball passed round him was going to achieve? Wouldn't matter who the lone striker was, would have been a pointless task.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    4-5-1 can't include Stokes and work. Good shift from him today.

Once Shaw came on, it was between Stokesy and McGinn on who was the best player on the park.

The guy gets flack, but under the right system and formation, he's probably our most skilled player.

Take a bow, Sir Anthony! Now slay some huns on Wednesday!

Did a good job today, but even Stevie Wonder could tell he's better as 1 of a 2. And the other 1 shouldn't just be expected to take over all the graft of chasing down etc.

Bugs me that his first touch is often sideways/backwards when it seems as easy to get things moving forward ASAP but that's nitpicking.

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Castle1875 View Post
    Once Shaw came on, it was between Stokesy and McGinn on who was the best player on the park.

The guy gets flack, but under the right system and formation, he's probably our most skilled player.

Take a bow, Sir Anthony! Now slay some huns on Wednesday!
    Probably not an honour he'd accept that one

First Team Regular Topographic Hibby's Avatar
    Think he will enjoy the next opposition from Weeg rather than today’s. Seem to remember him having a very good game against them once before......

Wasn't an easy gig today but I thought he did well and some of his link up play in the last 15 minutes was sublime, including the pass before the second goal

@hibs.net private member
    I thought he looked totally disinterested and was completely ineffectual until Shaw came on. Closing down players is a chore to him and if we are going 1 up top for me it has to be Murray. When Shaw came on he drifted into great spaces, possibly made the pass of the season to Stevenson for our second and looked every bit the player we all know he can be. He frustrates the life out of me when he is up top on his own but to be honest it is really Lennon that I am annoyed with for putting him in that position.

Murray may not have the quality that Stokes has but the way we set up pretty much ensured our lone striker would hardly see the ball and Murray would have at least put pressure on the Celtc centre halves.

Stokes can't play up front on his own, plays his best stuff when he plays the left channel.

Thought he was really poor for 70 mins. I can accept he won't be chasing about putting in the type of shift we'd see from Murray. But his general play and ball control wasn't up to scratch either and when you're the underdog his attitude is never particularly helpful.

Celtics first goal came from Stokes failing to hold up a simple chest control and giving it away.

His pass to Lewis for our second goal shows the quality we all know he possesses though. Frustrating player for me, but then if he could play to his potential consistently he wouldn't be back with us!

My opinion was he was poor today. Would have liked to have seen Murray start today.

I've been critical of him this season, but today was a very hard shift for him and I think he did his best, the lone striker role just isn't his game and he struggles in it. He was better when Shaw came on and its pretty clear he needs a partner to be effective.

@hibs.net private member
    Some of the comments in the east stand are embarrassing regarding criticism of Stokes.

People criticise Stokes at the game because his body language is terrible and he acts quite petulantly bordering on disrespect for his teammates.

He's quick to criticise other players but when he makes a mistake, he'll still act like it's another player's fault. It's easy to forgive when he plays well and brings his quality (like in the game vs Dundee) but if he's not contributing much it's easy to see why people get annoyed with him.

Especially compared to the work rate of Murray, which fans appreciate, rightly or wrongly

Quote Originally Posted by 660 View Post
    You weren’t in the Famous Five were you? Old guy along for me hates Stokes to the extent when Stokes got caught on the foot the old guy shouted “Hope you’re hurt!”.

You’ve got to wonder about some folk. Old guys the same week in week out to be honest.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    At best, jury is still out. Not doubting that he lifts himself for big games but that's not enough. I want someone in a Hibs shirt that does that every game and even if they fall short I want to be safe in the knowledge that they've done their best and it's not worked out.

He's got undoubted ability but once the next big games are over he needs to continue with the graft.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by madhibee_again View Post
    You weren’t in the Famous Five were you? Old guy along for me hates Stokes to the extent when Stokes got caught on the foot the old guy shouted “Hope you’re hurt!”.

You’ve got to wonder about some folk. Old guys the same week in week out to be honest.
    Nah I’m in the east.

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    He was completely ineffective until Shaw came on. Up until their second goal we were never a threat. That wasn’t Stokes fault, but it shows we’re better playing with 2 strikers.
    That is also how I see it however ,NL seems not to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Or we're better with Simon Murray up top on his own.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    I thought Stokes done well today. Even in the first, we were totally up against it and finding it hard to get into the game at all - but there were 2 long pints to Stokes that he had no right to win and won both. One of them he managed to bring down, turn, and run at their defence before passing to Boyle.

I think he vindicated Lennon's decision to start him and he'll have more success against rangers and Aberdeen this week.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    I thought Stokes done well today. Even in the first, we were totally up against it and finding it hard to get into the game at all - but there were 2 long pints to Stokes that he had no right to win and won both. One of them he managed to bring down, turn, and run at their defence before passing to Boyle.

I think he vindicated Lennon's decision to start him and he'll have more success against rangers and Aberdeen this week.
    Unfortunate, if fitting, typo

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction