hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member

Short taken corners

Can anyone see any benefits Hibs have had from any short taken corners in fact there have been some balls ups from some. They must practice them at East Mains. But its not only Hibs I saw a few in the English Premiership yesterday and Rankers today so the coaches must seen something in a short taken corner

2. Log in to remove the advert

One of my biggest bug bears about Hibs just now. Hoping when Swanson is back that our overall set piece quality improves.

Our long corners are usually even worse.

I have no idea what they practice during the week but if they do actually practice corners in training then we have a problem.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    It really has to drive our centre backs bonkers. Run the length of the park for adsutely no ball into the box. I’m not even going to mention the chances of us screwing it up and the opponent breaking in numbers with the defence still up the park. As has been said the delivery when we don’t take a short one in particular yesterday was abysmal. Come home Liam Son.

First Team Regular aussie_hibee's Avatar
    Haven’t we scored twice from short corners this season?

Quote Originally Posted by aussie_hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Haven’t we scored twice from short corners this season?
    No idea but we have taken dozens to no effect whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    No idea but we have taken dozens to no effect whatsoever.
    And we've taken dozens of long ones with no effect either. Its about the execution, not the idea.

Lennon has said in an interview that the reason we do short corners is because we don’t have anyone who can take a decent corner. Mcginn’s floaty balls in are easily dealt with.
    Good a reason as any to get Henderson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    And we've taken dozens of long ones with no effect either. Its about the execution, not the idea.
    I know. I know the reasoning behind the short one as well. My point is when all three centre backs are up the park we would be better served getting a lead free shot at getting the ball into the box however crowded rather than pissing about at the side of the park hoping for a better angle and less crowded box. As ever it’s always about the execution.

I prefer short corners, ball can be whipped in from a better angle than just floating a ball into the box

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    "I cheer for a corner, I don't know why, they rarely lead to a goal"

I remember a stat from last season's EPL that 2.7% of corners resulted in a goal. I imagine if you have a prior dislike of a particular type of corner, you'll remember those unsuccessful corners far more than you'll remember unsuccessful corners of your preferred style.

More illuminating would be the percentage of our short and long corners resulting in a goal. Although given the low numbers of goals involved, you might need an entire season's worth to get a respectable sample size.

Quote Originally Posted by nonshinyfinish View Post

I remember a stat from last season's EPL that 2.7% of corners resulted in a goal. I imagine if you have a prior dislike of a particular type of corner, you'll remember those unsuccessful corners far more than you'll remember unsuccessful corners of your preferred style.

More illuminating would be the percentage of our short and long corners resulting in a goal. Although given the low numbers of goals involved, you might need an entire season's worth to get a respectable sample size.
    Excellent points.

Hardly any goals ever come from corners. It’s hardly surprising we’re trying different things.

Actually heard some morons booing at Killie when we took a short corner when we were 2 nil up.

It does my box in when we take a short corner. So i done a wee bit research into it and there is only a 0.03% chance of scoring from ANY type of corner (20,000 corners analysed English Prem). No specifics for long or short that i could find. Doesn't answer any questions but could be the nerdiest fact of the day!

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyingwaitor View Post
    It does my box in when we take a short corner. So i done a wee bit research into it and there is only a 0.03% chance of scoring from ANY type of corner (20,000 corners analysed English Prem). No specifics for long or short that i could find. Doesn't answer any questions but could be the nerdiest fact of the day!

So is it 0.03% since start of EPL and 2.7% just last season ?

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalmeiras View Post
    So is it 0.03% since start of EPL and 2.7% just last season ?
    I suspect the 0.03% stat posted is actually 0.03 goals per corner, ie 3%.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    I heard an EPL manager talking about his team taking short corners earlier in the season, I cannae remember who it was though - he said its because the counter attack is such a weapon these days that a long ball into the box that's cleared can really cost you.

It was just a study over 20,000 corners in the EPL. I cant remember the season. It all depends how you look at the stats and what stats haha. 0.03% is for every attaking corner. So if we had 100 corners we would expect 3 goals...or 3% (very close to the 2.7% you mentioned per corner). So the stats are about the same its just how they are interpreted i guess. To be accurate we would need a study of our own corners over a season or at least 100. As geeky as i am over stats id rather watch the game than do maths. I think what we have both assertained from the stats is that there is a pretty low chance of scoring. Remember though some teams will score more than others so the 2.7/3.0% is an average. We may be better...we may be worse! Ah stats...dont you just love em!

David Zitellis corners were absolute screamers. Think we scored a good few from them.

I’m definitely not itk but my theory is that taking short corners draws 2 defenders out of the box, leaving more room/space for us to attack the ball when it comes into the box. It’s just so frustrating that a lot if the time we get closed down quickly and the ball, more often than not, never gets into the box. On that basis, you could argue short corners are a waste of a good opportunity based on our execution of them.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nonshinyfinish View Post

I've been quoting the 3% corner stat for a while to my mates to the point I've started getting ripped a bit for it!

It's like anything in football, if it's a bit different it's wrong. The funny thing about corners is that people contradict themselves without even realising it.

If you have the ball out wide and two or three players play some neat passing while trying to find a route into the box and end up winning a corner they are applauded for trying to 'play football'. However from the resulting corner if the same players work a short one and try and work the ball into the box in the same they are slated for not just getting the ball into the box.

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicho87 View Post
    David Zitellis corners were absolute screamers. Think we scored a good few from them.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by My_Wife_Camille View Post
    I've been quoting the 3% corner stat for a while to my mates to the point I've started getting ripped a bit for it!

It's like anything in football, if it's a bit different it's wrong. The funny thing about corners is that people contradict themselves without even realising it.

If you have the ball out wide and two or three players play some neat passing while trying to find a route into the box and end up winning a corner they are applauded for trying to 'play football'. However from the resulting corner if the same players work a short one and try and work the ball into the box in the same they are slated for not just getting the ball into the box.
    There’s a world of difference between getting the ball into the box to no one than to three big guys that have specifically jogged the length of the park to be there. If the chances are 3% then ours must be even worse than that at the moment. There were a fair share of short and long corners yesterday and they were equally abysmal in execution.

Short corner worked a treat for West Ham just before half time there....

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    I remember a game in 2016 where we scored two corners in 10 minutes. Anyone else??

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Our long corners are usually even worse.

I have no idea what they practice during the week but if they do actually practice corners in training then we have a problem.
    That made me laugh

Quote Originally Posted by Milkinho View Post
    I remember a game in 2016 where we scored two corners in 10 minutes. Anyone else??

Cant say I do but that statistically must have been it for the season.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    It really has to drive our centre backs bonkers. Run the length of the park for adsutely no ball into the box. I’m not even going to mention the chances of us screwing it up and the opponent breaking in numbers with the defence still up the park. As has been said the delivery when we don’t take a short one in particular yesterday was abysmal. Come home Liam Son.
    If short corners are taken correctly then it should benefit the centre backs who come up for them, the short corner should be taken quickly and whipped in while dragging at least 3 players to the corner which should leave gaps and opposition defenders struggling to defend in the box, if we have 2 centre backs going up and your strikers in the box it should give us the advantage when the ball is whipped in.

This nonsense of short corner and trying to take on the 3 players being dragged to the ball is most of the time a accident waiting to happen and leaves our CBs struggling to get back if the ball is lost.

@hibs.net private member
    Now that big Daz is back I think we may see more success from corners. He gets on the end of things but also makes space for others.
    Last edited by CentreLine; 04-12-2017 at 12:23 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    I believe that less than one in 20 corners results in a goal - so maybe worth trying something different.

Certainly it can be a bit easier to plonk the ball on someone's head from say 20 yards rather than the 30-40 that a direct corner would usually mean - IF that is, the short corner actually results in a ball into the box which is a big IF.

Quote Originally Posted by Milkinho View Post

A genuine miracle. Just one of many great wee facts and stories on our cup win where all our stars aligned. A good throw in was involved too.